Author Topic: Florida Youth Challenge Academy  (Read 2086 times)

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
Florida Youth Challenge Academy
« on: June 03, 2003, 12:23:00 PM »
Does anyone out there have any information on the Youth Challenge Academy's?  There appear to be nationwide, with one located in Starke Florida.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Carey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 12:53:00 PM »
The Youth Challenge Program in Louisiana is operated by the Louisiana National Guard.  It is a 17 month program.  Students are provided with guidance on taking the GED through 5 months of  in class prepartaions.  The remaining 12 months are spent on some type of vocational training with a mentor assigned to each student.

All of this is done at one of two facilities operated by the Louisiana National Guard.  The teens who wish to attend complete an application and are interviewed and then based on the interview either accepted or not. During the interview they do ask the teen if they want to be a part of the program, if they do not, they will not take them.  So, being a part of the program is voluntary.

http://www.layouthchallenge.org

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 03:37:00 PM »
Carey, are you sure it's actually voluntary? I don't know anything about the program or the people who run it or how much lattitude the individual facilities have. But I have to point out that Straight, and similar programs, always claim their clients are enroled voluntarily.

They use very euphemistic terms to describe the process. They say that the client receives an evaluation. Translated, the client is sequestered in a small, windowless room with, maybe, a chair and then interrogated and brow beat till they confess and sign zee papers. (I signed the first ones "Mickey Mouse", which really pissed them off... some hours later, I finally caved)

Once inside, it's fools play to tell anyone you're being held against your will or that you're anything but pleased as punch with the whole thing. A couple of years of that and a lot of people actually begin to believe it.

Our youth can not understand why society chooses to criminalize a behavior with so little visible ill effect or adverse social impact... These young people have jumped the fence and found no cliff.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/nc/ncmenu.htm' target='_new'>Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Carey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 04:23:00 PM »
It claims to be a voluntary program.  All I know is what they profess in their literature...and we all know how deceptive some literature can be.

Here is their phone number.  1-800-CAMP-KID

I have called and asked them to fax me information on their program.  I suggest anyone else who wants information to do the same.

After what my boys have been through, I would not be able to endorse any residential program due to the uncertainty and risks that lay within.

Offline Carey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 04:58:00 PM »
Ginger,

I have recieved the paper work from Youth Challenge Program.  If you have a fax number I will foward it to you.

Carey

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 06:08:00 PM »
Thanks y'all - I'll contact the youth challenge folks and see if I can get some mailed info. They also have a website, although I don't have the guy's card that is a "counsler" there.  I think most of them are ex-military types.  Just the people that I want my son haning around with...(not)