Author Topic: New to all this  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
New to all this
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:05:54 PM »
I just stumbled upon this site...and I am very happy that I have. I was 14 when I entered and almost 17 when I finally got out. I am 25 now and I don't really have much contact with anyone that went through it, and it is amazingly hard to ever explain to someone what I went through. Intimate relationships are really hard because my partners tend to pay for my past because I can't shut up when they hurt me, or when they say something that reminds of the way that anyone would have confronted me...Literally I still find myself in rap sessions of my own unintentional design. And it's not like you can explain it to them and have them even have the slightest understanding of what you are talking about. Being on isolation during school was perhaps just a training ground for the isolation I sometimes feel out here.  Yes it was years ago...but how do you ever just let go of the pain and humiliation that were imposed upon you? I try, yet it seems like there are so many reminders...and what is even sicker is that sometimes I find myself longing for those rap chairs so that I can stick someone from my life in the "hot seat" and tell them what I really think! AAAAA
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Welcome
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:20:11 PM »
Welcome Guest...

It is always encouraging when someone new stumbles on here.

I just found this place like 8 months ago and was in awe.

Only thing I can say is SHARE your stories...get pissed...
read the site. I found it to be quite helpfull.

Good luck!

~J~

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
New to all this
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »
Well you know how they say never get into a heated arguement with your girlfriend/wife after you've had a few drinks?  

It's great advice and will save you a million headaches and regrets.

The core of that advice applies to cedu 'surviovrs' that are still feeling the effects that you are feeling.

Whenever you get fired up about something and start to get into the mode of 'wanting to put someone in a rap chair' etc. You have to realize it's learned 'response'. Allow yourself to mentally and physically 'distance' yourself from whatever is irritating you. Take a longgggggggg  5 minutes . Chill out . Wait a day or 7. During that time think about the best way to handle it and then respond to the situation. Over time you'll unlearn the cedu brainwashing and soon enough the mature, calm & respectable way of dealing with life will be second nature.

For a long time It will feel awkward, dismantling and rebuilding your brain. But with enough time it works.

Those fucking Dr. Philians on acid encouraged us to and made mandatory a belligerent, chaotic, impulsive, coercive, manipulative, self-destructive (shit I could go on forever) way of dealing with people and our problems.

To think that next week I must scream at 3 people until my voice gives out, fling snot, cry until my face looks like a bloated mess, and give terrible advice on Monday, Wednesday and Friday in 4 hour blocks to 20 people in my office is insane.  Yet we did it for 2 1/2 years. If we didn't do it we were in trouble.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
New to all this
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 07:45:24 PM »
Literally I still find myself in rap sessions of my own unintentional design.

heh. I refer to that as my "rap hat". "Wait, am I putting on my rap hat?"

When I start to feel irritated as I am about to tell someone something, I have to ask myself.

1. What is my motivation for saying this?
2. If this person is someone I care about, do I have their best interest in mind? (and if they aren't, then why am I wasting my time talking to them?)
3. If I am confronting this person because they are annoying the fuck out of me, am I being direct about it, or am I doing it in the guise of "advice for their own good"?

There is nothing wrong with telling someone to fuck off, if that's what  you really mean. But if you want to tell someone to fuck off, and instead disguise your message as some form of "feedback" to point out how fucked up they are, then yes, that's a problem.

I have a friend who posts regularly in livejournal, who is bipolar and borderline. I have responded to posts in her journal where she is at her lowest. Yet  year after year, I noticed that (up until a few days ago) she had no gratitude for the outpouring of support she had received from people, in addition to the fact that she had really come far, done amazing things in her life, and would slip back into old crap again and again. (You can't jump beyond your own development, but sometimes you can refuse to keep up with it, too.)

In short, I was starting to get annoyed. Very annoyed. I really had to check myself when I commented on something she said, asking myself "Why am I saying this? Will this help her? Do I even fucking care anymore?" In addition, I was insanely jealous that she had so many people there to support her and stroke her. To sum up, I was losing my empathy for her situation, no matter how responsible or irresponsible she was being.

Finally, I realized that I would be the most help to her by saying nothing at all, at least for a while. Because I knew that anything that came from me from this point on would be tainted with irritation and impatience. So I stopped commenting. I still read her journal, because I want to know how she is doing, and it still, for the most part, annoys the hell out of me, because I feel that she knows better, based on years of reading about what is going on in her life. But I know that to say something would be all too golden an opportunity to don my rap hat and say hurtful, judgmental things that are most likely inaccurate. Seriously, I was at the point where I just wanted to post "Oh for fuck's sake, grow the hell up." Maybe she needs to hear that, but I doubt it. Especially because she is borderline.

I had a similar situation in my twenties, when my then-boyfriend moved up to Syracuse with me. For quite a while, he *would not* find a job, and my student meal ticket couldn't afford the both of us for long, *and* he was living rent-free. He said he was finding a job, but every time when I came home, there he would be, either just getting out of a bubble bath, or saying that he slept in too late. Finally I sat down with him in the bathroom as he was in the tub, after I had just gotten home from class, and instead of saying "Look, I need you to find a job." I went on about what precisely I thought was wrong with him. You this, you that, you n*e*e*d to do this... all with the intent that I was somehow enlightening him or giving him insight. (and this was well after I stopped drinking the cedu kool-aid.) Whether it did or not, I assure you, was purely incidental, because the truth of the matter was I wanted him to find a fuckin job, and it had nothing to do with what hidden potential he had as a person or not. I needed him to get off of his ass and get to work. It was that simple, and there was nothing wrong with that. It was a perfectly legitimate need on my part, but I wasn't taking responsibility for that, and was instead thinking I was telling him this for his needs.

To an extent, people who haven't been in a program do this, too.

The program just amplifies the general attitude of dysfunctional dynamics that are present in our society, and pushes it to the point of pathology. Mainly because when you wear a rap hat, 1. The person you are speaking to becomes an object or mirror, and is no longer a person, and 2. You are superior to them, to the point of thinking that you know exactly what is wrong with them.

I've written this in here before:

"Honesty" without empathy is nothing but vindictiveness.

CEDU robbed us of our empathy. We have had to fight to reclaim it.

Offline RegalPlague

• View Profile
New to all this
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 04:39:53 AM »
I dont post often, I mainly come here when i cant sleep, read some of other peoples experiences in the CEDUland, and go get some rest, knowing im not the only one out there with problems.

This..or lots and lots of whiskey.

or both.