Author Topic: Cults in our midst  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Cults in our midst
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2007, 06:48:43 AM »
http://www.7thstep.ca/therapy.html

This paints a pretty alarming picture. Apparently this group "help" prisoners
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Cults in our midst
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2007, 12:40:20 PM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
http://www.7thstep.ca/therapy.html

This paints a pretty alarming picture. Apparently this group "help" prisoners

:o

Is it just me are does this smack of straight?
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Cults in our midst
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 08:09:33 PM »
It can't be anything *but* straight. I mean, fuck, it's called the seventh step and everything.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Cults in our midst
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 08:52:25 PM »
You as well, are anything *BUT* straight.  :wink:

POST HERE IF YOURE DRUNK.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Cults in our midst
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 09:23:48 PM »
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""
You as well, are anything *BUT* straight.  :wink:

POST HERE IF YOURE DRUNK.

Didn't you hear? I converted. I'm straight now.

No, seriously, I am.

I got my t-shirt today and everything.

BTW, you are officially at fault for derailing this thread, not me.

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
Cults in our midst
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2007, 09:42:34 PM »
Good god, it's Canadian.....

History

In 1963, Bill Sands, an ex convict and the Reverend James Post, formulated a self-help group in the Kansas State Prison. This first pre release program adopted a slogan and guidelines that are the basis of the Seventh Step programs today. Initially the programs relied heavily on community sponsorship of inmates upon release. When Bill Sands was forced to curtail his involvement, due to ill health, a serving inmate, Ezra Kingsley, assumed leadership and instituted a new meeting format that has evolved into the "hot seat" therapy that is still an integral part of group chapters.

When Bill Sands died in 1967, the Seventh Step programs had spread across the United States.

Bill Sands

In that same year, two John Howard workers in British Columbia encountered the group on a visit to the U.S. and introduced it into the Haney Correctional Institute for youths, as a drug/alcohol treatment program. It was short lived in that population but Webster and Lynch, realizing it's potential, reorganized and introduced it into the British Columbia Penitentiary in 1968 with the help of ex inmate Tom Gordon. The program flourished in that setting and other groups opened in adult institutions across the province. Another B.C. inmate, Pat Graham, carried the philosophy and program into Alberta where it was established in 1971. At approximately the same time, Reverend Charles Bell opened chapters in the Province of Ontario, using portions of the Seventh Step program.

A national charter, acquired in 1973, was allowed to lapse until the Alberta organization reapplied and was successful in obtaining Letters Patent for The Seventh Step Society of Canada in 1981.

The Board of Directors of the Canadian organization is comprised of two members from each provincial affiliate. National headquarters are located in Calgary, Alberta.
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20