Author Topic: Health Coverage Dilemma  (Read 1679 times)

Offline teachback

• View Profile
Health Coverage Dilemma
« on: August 26, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
I got set up via the internet for health insurance with Blue Cross after I passed out momentarily (and then vomited) from food poisoning a couple months ago... My mom convinced me to let her sign me up for it while I lay there feeling like shit. They sent a bunch of stuff in the mail which I didn't open (i was busy, and figured they'd at least need a signature to actually set me up) until later.. anyway, I found out that it was due on the 3rd of August! I tried to call them, but could not get a fucking human being on the phone... :flame:

Now I'm hesitant to pay for it because:

A. I have this irrational fear of them trying to screw me somehow b/c it's so late. (Probably unfounded but you never know, do you?)

B. I don't really want another goddam bill to pay every month.

How little money do you have to have in your bank account / earn per year to qualify for medicaid? Does it really suck as bad as they say it does? I don't wanna have to pay for healthcare, I really don't....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Health Coverage Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:43:07 PM »
How much is the plan you have now that is late? I don't think medicaid is as bad as some people say it is beacuse I knew somebody who had it and they seemed to get to the doctor a hell of a lot more than me which is never because I have none for five years either.

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Health Coverage Dilemma
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:42:58 AM »
Quote from: ""thought criminal""
I got set up via the internet for health insurance with Blue Cross after I passed out momentarily (and then vomited) from food poisoning a couple months ago... My mom convinced me to let her sign me up for it while I lay there feeling like shit. They sent a bunch of stuff in the mail which I didn't open (i was busy, and figured they'd at least need a signature to actually set me up) until later.. anyway, I found out that it was due on the 3rd of August! I tried to call them, but could not get a fucking human being on the phone... :flame:

Now I'm hesitant to pay for it because:

A. I have this irrational fear of them trying to screw me somehow b/c it's so late. (Probably unfounded but you never know, do you?)

B. I don't really want another goddam bill to pay every month.

How little money do you have to have in your bank account / earn per year to qualify for medicaid? Does it really suck as bad as they say it does? I don't wanna have to pay for healthcare, I really don't....

Trust me it's worth it especially if you're a parent.  One thing goes wrong and you could  be paying the bill for the rest of your life, not having insurance is one of my few regrets.

Check with the state in regards to medicaid it's not about whats in your bank but i believe what your annual income was the year before. But there are other options depending on the state you live in too, so you might want to look into that.

If you go w/ out insurance, once something does happen its much harder to get insured. If you've been accepted and the bill isn't outrageous, I would pay, at least for a couple months while you explore your options. You can stop at any time. BUt its also the best position to be in when "shopping insurnace companies".

BC isn't bad, I used to have them.
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Health Coverage Dilemma
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:20:43 AM »
BC is generally expensive but they're better to deal with than most.  Because you pay more, you get treated better, I guess...

Re. health insurance in general:  people that get it through their employer and people who haven't 2 dimes to rub together are the best off.  It's the people in between that have to pay through the nose.  You get better service and coverage if you are really poor than if you are not so poor and have so-so health insurance.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Health Coverage Dilemma
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 01:27:54 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
BC is generally expensive but they're better to deal with than most.  Because you pay more, you get treated better, I guess...

Re. health insurance in general:  people that get it through their employer and people who haven't 2 dimes to rub together are the best off.  It's the people in between that have to pay through the nose.  You get better service and coverage if you are really poor than if you are not so poor and have so-so health insurance.

yes i used to get it thru my employer and then i quit my job. lol so now i'm shooting for the "really poor" lol i was able to claim next to no income last year. it's got it's benefits LOL  If you make below a certain amount and your car fails the emissions inspection the state will cover the repairs.  I've paid uncle sam a shit load fuck if im not gonna take advantage of that.    

as far as health ins. goes though right now i really have few options and it sucks. can't afford t have another thing happen to me. i might as well leave the country if that happens. lol
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Re: Health Coverage Dilemma
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 08:09:13 AM »
Quote from: ""thought criminal""

You have to be indigent with little resource.....

The chart below shows how much income you can receive in a month and the amount of resources you can retain and still qualify for Medicaid. The income and resource levels depend on the number of your family members who live with you.

2007 Income & Resource Levels*
Number in Family / Monthly Net Income / Resources
1 $700 $4200
2 $900 $5400
3 $1100 $6600
4 $1109 $6650
5 $1117 $6700
6 $1134 $6800
7 $1275 $7650
8 $1417 $8500
For each additional person, add: $142 $850

Income and Resource Levels are subject to yearly adjustments.

You may also own a home, a car, and personal property and still be eligible. The income and resources of legally responsible relatives in the household will also be counted.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:23:10 AM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Health Coverage Dilemma
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 09:20:37 AM »
surely there is nobody raising a family of over 3 kids on only 1500 a month!!!!
Oz girl