Author Topic: The Sound of Music  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Sam Kinison

• View Profile
The Sound of Music
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:30:43 PM »
How many lameass wholesome songs do we have ingrained in our minds?I ask this question because today my eleven-year-old daughter, who attends an international school in my adopted homeland of Costa Rica,was going over the words of "Do-re-mi",from Rodgers and Hammerstein's "The Sound of Music".Now,I don't know about the rest of you kiddies,but as Woof and 85DJ can attest to,this was as much of a lunch or dinner time staple as stale bread and thinly sliced bologna during our tenures.Funny thing is,the song was probably dubbed in Spanish and the words were completely changed to make "Latin" musical sense.So,to complete this twenty minute flashback,I had to sing the original tune two or three times so she could hear the original English version.All I could think of was those hard chairs for the rest of the night.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
The Mutt & Jeff Show
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 01:03:12 AM »
It was early fall 1978 in the Morgan Yacht building.  Me and a guy named Jeff were being jerks.  Jeff had actually made home a couple of weeks before and asked his parents to pull him from the program the second night he was home.  His parents conned him into believing that he had to come back to the building and sign himself out or they would not get a refund, so he's back on front row, pissed off and determined to get himself kicked out like I was.  

Steve Howe and Marnie Sykes decided to kill us with kindness that week and we were treated exceptionally well.  Around thursday of I guess the 3rd week in September, they actually stood me and Jeff up after lunch and told us we could have an extra cup of Koolade and a couple of cookies if we would sing an appropriate song for the group.  Damn, that was a tough decision.  They even let us talk to eachother briefly and come up with something.  We decided on singing the Fat Albert Theme Song and even made kazoos with our combs and some scrap paper.  We sang it first just by ourselves with sound effects and drumming on our chairs, then they had the whole group join in for a second time around.  The song was actually pretty rock'n considering the usual drivel they made us do.

We thought that we had created a new classic,  but someone on Senior Staff came out for the afternoon rap and announced that the song was a "druggie old tie"  because alot of people got high and watched the cartoon.  What a bunch of bullshit.  I think 400 teenagers screaming "NAA NAA NAA, GONNA HAVE A GOOD TIME" is really what they found unsettling.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
How about another lameass wholesome Song! Ack!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:46:55 PM »
Speaking of songs...ugh...dontcha hate it when one gets stuck tween your ears and nothing, but nothing will relieve the rentless cacophony...which of course I know all the words to. It's not like I got just a sound, or a first stanza (sp) but word for fucking word.

Case in point...this post was posted a few days ago. I didnt think much of it, other than it was posted by Sam and added to by 85DJ. I been minding my own of late, doing lotsa fishing as was mentioned not to awful long ago...seems my previous employer has yet to re-think my employment status....probably sumpin to do with my middle finger thrust in his face...I digress...Point is, i just been reading and moving along, enjoying what fragments of my life that I can ya know.

Then last night, of all people who coulda come out of the wood work...James Tayor is coming out with a "Greatest Hits" CD accompinied by a 2 hour DVD....its a "gotta have" ::rocker::  (yeah right) I found myself becoming more and more agitated and reaching for my klonopin and begining to make noise in my head....I knew it was coming, it was one of those un-gawdly slow moments in time.  I thought of holding my hands over my ears, closing my eyes and chanting blah blah blah de blah blah de blah  ::lala::  ::lala::  ::lala::

But of course...my neurotic behavior was noticed  (shit) by my better half and she asked, "What the hell is wrong with you?" And thats when it happened, brother James busted out into the song...you all know it....come on sing along with me...

When youre down and troubled
And you need a helping hand
And nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest nights.

You just call out my name,
And you know whereever I am
Ill come running, oh yeah baby
To see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
All you have to do is call
And Ill be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Youve got a friend.

If the sky above you
Should turn dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind should begin to blow
Keep your head together and call my name out loud
And soon I will be knocking upon your door.
You just call out my name and you know where ever I am
Ill come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you got to do is call
And Ill be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Hey, aint it good to know that youve got a friend?
People can be so cold.
Theyll hurt you and desert you.
Well theyll take your soul if you let them.
Oh yeah, but dont you let them.

You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
Ill come running to see you again.
Oh babe, dont you know that,
Winter spring summer or fall,
Hey now, all youve got to do is call.
Lord, Ill be there, yes I will.
Youve got a friend.
Youve got a friend.
Aint it good to know youve got a friend.
Aint it good to know youve got a friend.
Youve got a friend.

Jesus, Mary and fucking Joseph  ::bangin::
course now that I got that out of my system and spread the disgust to those of you sensitive to such things...I can proceed with another memory.

85DJ mentioned Marnie Sykes....and it immediately triggered this memory (now I am not 100% on this so cut me some slack if it was someone else) But what she did was went down the rows, "you say the letter "A", you say the letter "B", you say the letter "C" al the way thru to "Z" and repeated the whole process untill the entire group had a letter to repeat...One a the count of three, we did as she asked. This produced the most bizarre sound I have ever heard or heard since. It sounded exactly like "Jungle Sounds", just like ya were sitting in a freaking jungle.

Hats off to ya Marnie, I don't know what made ya think of it, or where ya figured out how the sound could be produced. But, it was fucking amazing....simple things for simple minds I guess.

Namaste
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Sound of Music
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:00:30 PM »
Now that fucking song is stuck in my head!!  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:

Thanks a lot, fucker!!!  ::lala::  ::dose:: :silly:  :evil:  :skull: ::stab::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile