Author Topic: Boot Camp DI charged with 225 counts of abuse  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Boot Camp DI charged with 225 counts of abuse
« on: August 24, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »
Yeah, I know.  I was excited too for a minute.  They're talking military boot camp though.  

http://tinyurl.com/2wz2lb

Drill sergeant faces 225 abuse charges

By ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 29 minutes ago

SAN DIEGO - A Marine drill instructor has been charged with 225 criminal counts connected to abusing recruits, a Marines spokesman said Thursday.

In one incident, Sgt. Jerrod M. Glass allegedly ordered a recruit to jump head-first into a trash can and then pushed him further into the container, according to court documents cited in The San Diego Union-Tribune. He is also accused of striking recruits with a tent pole and a heavy flashlight.

Two other drill instructors, Sgt. Robert C. Hankins and Sgt. Brian M. Wendel, face special courts-martial in the case, the Marines said. Arraignment dates have not been scheduled for either Marine.

A fourth drill instructor, whose name was not released, was disciplined and reassigned to administrative duties.

Glass postponed making a plea during a court appearance at San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot, where he worked, said spokesman Austin Mansfield. The charges include 91 counts of assault, 90 of failure to obey lawful orders and 27 of cruelty and maltreatment.

The charges cover about 110 alleged incidents between Dec. 23, 2006 and Feb. 10, the Marines said in press release. No member of his platoon was seriously injured.

Glass, who had worked as a drill sergeant for less than a year when the alleged mistreatment occurred, was relieved of duty as a drill instructor in February. He is scheduled to go to court-martial Nov. 8.

In court Wednesday, Glass did not speak except to answer basic questions from the judge, Lt. Col. Jeffrey Meeks. Defense lawyer Capt. Patrick J. Callahan asked that all counts be read aloud.

Callahan did not immediately respond to a phone message for comment Thursday.

About 17,000 recruits graduate each year from the San Diego depot. Newly enlisted Marines train there and at Parris Island, S.C.

Last year, four Marines at the San Diego depot were charged in the drowning of a fellow drill instructor during a water survival training course. Two were acquitted of wrongdoing in the case. Charges were dropped against a third Marine and a fourth received nonjudicial discipline.

Gary Solis, a former Marine Corps prosecutor and judge who teaches law of war at Georgetown University Law Center, estimates that on average about six drill instructors, or DIs, are charged nationwide each year with abusing recruits.

"These kids are helpless before DI's," Solis said. "The DI is God and they have no immediate recourse."

___

Associated Press writer Allison Hoffman contributed to this report.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 05:18:07 PM »
Anne you had me going when I saw this, shame on you  ::whip::

::mecry:: What sucks is that if this was a Teen boot camp charges wouldn't have even been filed, :flame: but best believe these bastards will get theirs   ::fu::
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 05:28:26 PM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
Anne you had me going when I saw this, shame on you  ::whip::

::mecry:: What sucks is that if this was a Teen boot camp charges wouldn't have even been filed, :flame: but best believe these bastards will get theirs   ::fu::

Sorry, I didn't really mean to do that.  I thought the same thing you did though.  Program proponents are fond of comparing being in the military to TT programs.    :roll:

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 02:44:53 AM »
Military boot camp isn't supposed to be pleasant, but damn 225 counts of abuse.....  

Did he ever find the time to sleep?

Offline Karass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 07:57:52 PM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
Program proponents are fond of comparing being in the military to TT programs.    :roll:

The differences, however, are many. The military is voluntary and also is subject to legal regulations. The TT industry is neither...
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 04:24:53 PM »
I just think it's interesting as hell that military DIs, who are supposed to be tough enough to break all but the strongest are held to a higher standard of conduct than the troubled parent industry which is supposed to be therapeutic.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 08:39:17 PM »
Let's stop beating around the bush. How do you make a stubborn teenager who says "Fuck off" do what you want? That was my case. First they expel you. Then they label you. Then they medicate you. Then they put you in treatment. Then they lock you up. Then they lock you up even longer. Then they talk about sending you away even longer. Then suddenly you are at the end of the road, where kids have only one option, comply. If not, you will be tortured, quite literally, believe me. This is when you know you have reached the end of the line. When there are no safety phones anymore on the walls. Nobody coming by to check on your welfare. No contact whatsoever with anyone. Only you, and the gang of thugs who want to break you and convert you into a thug. Programs do vary in where they lie in context to the end of the line, but ultimately, if a kid is inquisitive, brave, curious and stubborn enough to be honest and tell them to fuck of, they will ultimately find out just how far the rabbit hole really goes.

The military will just kick you out. It's a whole different story.

The TTI is a monster all of it's own.

It's partially the drug war, but even that's not just it. This is about control, greed, opulence, ignorance, hate, violence, cognitive dissonance, conflicting moral realities and families. It's disgusting what occurs on a daily basis and that it has been accepted as a cultural norm is a sad state of what people are willing to allow.

Their holy grail is control, because they live in fear. The fact we don't live in fear frightens them beyond anything imaginable. We are talking about two completely different realities. One in which these people believe it's okay to torture children to fit into a society any adult eyes open immediately realizes is not worth conforming to.

Yet here they are, in the thousands. Parents waiting in line to send little Johnny to gulag #2365 in the cold northern region of this republic, to be re-tooled, re-educated, to be less inquisitive, less curious, scared, frightened, depressed and confused, everything his parents are and ever will be.

Sign me up for the military, I bet I could get out of that in about 5 minutes. Go try that in a lockdown program and see what happens. Two different things going on.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 08:49:17 PM »
Yep.  I knew it was just a matter of time too until someone in the military got charged.  And I knew when that happened it would be another piece that would fall into place.

The idiots that slam us and throw military boot camps up as examples to why it's perfectly OK to treat kids like that have nothing to say anymore.  Not that they ever did, but even their examples, even the freaks in the military (meant affenctionately, I have military family) condemn this behavior.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 08:55:31 PM »
This does not surprise me at all. i can actually see a philosophical connection. The same principal applies whether it is in these schools, the legitimate prison system or the military. Pain, violence and force get results and therefore are morally justifyable.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 10:45:50 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Let's stop beating around the bush. How do you make a stubborn teenager who says "Fuck off" do what you want?

You don't. You stay out of their way, let them learn from their mistakes and, hopefully, if you have any helpful advice, they'll recognize it that you really are on their side and maybe they'll be able to benefit from whatever you have to offer them. One sure fire way to nix that possibility is to try and force them.

Or you might just ask yourself what anyone could possibly do to make you do what they want you to after you've told them to fuck off.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 10:50:12 PM »
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""
Or you might just ask yourself what anyone could possibly do to make you do what they want you to after you've told them to fuck off.

And now you do what they told ya .. lol

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 11:08:07 PM »
That's the obvious question I think, since that's presumably why the parents are sending their kid away, because they ran into a brick wall from their perspective on how they can control their child. So they pay others to do it. How it's done? They don't seem to care. That bothers me. I think programs are used as a punishment, and if things go wrong they swing it around and say I was helping my kid. I never met one kid in a private program who thought they were being helped. There are two parallel realities, one for the parents and one for the kids. People who try to bridge this gap end up in all sort of logical absurdities but it';s fun watching them try.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 12:43:55 AM »
That's the obvious question I think, since that's presumably why the parents are sending their kid away, because they ran into a brick wall from their perspective on how they can control their child. So they pay others to do it. How it's done? They don't seem to care. That bothers me. I think programs are used as a punishment, and if things go wrong they swing it around and say I was helping my kid. I never met one kid in a private program who thought they were being helped. There are two parallel realities, one for the parents and one for the kids. People who try to bridge this gap end up in all sort of logical absurdities but it';s fun watching them try.

The problem is the entire concept of making people do things in the first fucking place once they're no longer small kids and can think for themselves.

You don't not parent then show up a mile short and a few years late and start demanding and calling the shots and demanding respect without earning it.

Fucking, shoving out a kid and feeding it and taking it to school until  puberty is not much of an accomplishment. Sorry. Being a good parent is, but being a parent, period, is not!

So, the long and short of it is shitty stupid selfish inept parenting, fucked up mentalities, and the fact that kids are basically niggers in this country right now.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 12:53:07 AM »

That's not  the only reason but definitely a lame excuse.  Some just don't give a fuck.  Some believe the brick wall means trying military once and that didn't work so go to the extreme because after all that's what we're told to do by our lovely media. Yet I know other situations where the parent just honestly had no concept or reason to think a place could be abusive to their kid and therefore didn't bother to research it. Does that make it right? Fuck no, but what the fuck does it take to make that fucking light bulb go on when a parent begins to "look for a place" to put their child.  Shoot them all I say.  
 ::bangin:: ::unhappy::
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 12:55:18 AM »
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""
the fact that kids are basically niggers in this country right now.

Actually by definition... the niggers would be the parents.  I mean if we wanna get technical and all about the meaning of the term.   :rofl:
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!