Author Topic: Legal Trend-Court Ruling in another case  (Read 1446 times)

Offline dommerdog

• View Profile
Legal Trend-Court Ruling in another case
« on: August 25, 2007, 12:43:18 PM »
This story was reported in today's Dallas Morning News.

http://tinyurl.com/2lx9ac

In a nutshell, a judge is requiring a Texas school district to pay for a child's treatment/education at a residential center.  It appears there's a trend for these facilities to have taxpayer funded charter schools established on their premises.  

Although this is a Texas case, and I don't know where Georgia stands on charter schools, I think it would be an improvement for HLA to "outsource" the educational part of their curriculum to a state monitored educational organization, as I think HLA's educational program to be the weakest link in their program.

I realize others might disagree as to what the weakest link is, but from what I read, everybody agrees education there isn't what it should be.

As for taxpayer funding of these programs, I don't know.  It does not appear that residential treatment centers are going away, but perhaps with taxpayers paying for the programs, there will be more public involvement in what is going on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Legal Trend-Court Ruling in another case
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:47:28 PM »
i agree. the only thing is that it may not always be for the best. in some states, and some counties the education is much much worse than private education, regardless of how much taxes people pay. case in point: new york city. the public schools there are absolutely horrible, in some schools you cant go into a bathroom without getting robbed, in others there are very few if any licensed teachers. in the NYC public school system, many, many kids even graduate with a 5th grade or below reading level. there are exeptions, like bronx science of stuyvesant, but to get into these school you often either have to live in the district [very expensive], or you have to be a genius and go through rigerous testing. so, most parents try to send their kids to private school, regardless of the strain on their budgets. this same scenario is played out in many other areas of the country - new orleans, alabama, missisipi, south carolina, los angeles.

Many of the TBS's are located in very remote areas where the educational system is also sub-par. in some cases, such as in georgia, the level of education would actually drop at places like Hidden Lake because although the teachers will all be licensed, they will also very likely be locals, and STILL wont be paid more than before. in other areas it will improve things i'm sure, such as in TX, northern cali, new england, etc. where the education IS good.

what i'm trying to say is that although it sounds like a good idea it may have unintended consequnces thoughout the country.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Re: Legal Trend-Court Ruling in another case
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 12:33:18 AM »
"In a nutshell, a judge is requiring a Texas school district to pay for a child's treatment/education at a residential center. It appears there's a trend for these facilities to have taxpayer funded charter schools established on their premises."

Notice any differences between Texas NeuroRehab and HLA?
For starters, TNR is a traditional RTC that has always been licensed/monitored by TDFPS.

Although, they're a a subsidiary of Nashville, Tenn.-based Psychiatric Solutions Inc., which bought the campus from Austin-based The Brown Schools Inc. in 2001 for an undisclosed amount.  [Run away, run away]

and have some pretty significant violations against them- one interfering with an investigation of an abuse claim by a resident.

Quote from: ""dommerdog""
Although this is a Texas case, and I don't know where Georgia stands on charter schools, I think it would be an improvement for HLA to "outsource" the educational part of their curriculum to a state monitored educational organization, as I think HLA's educational program to be the weakest link in their program.

The so-called Educational program was the only aspect of HLA to be monitored for the past 12 years.
HLA claimed to be a "boarding school" in order to avoid ORS regulation of the 'treatment' aspect of the program.
So... how much sense does it make that a "boarding school" would need to outsource education, when their sole purpose of existing is the educate?

I realize others might disagree as to what the weakest link is, but from what I read, everybody agrees education there isn't what it should be.

Voice your complaint to the appropriate authorities.

As for taxpayer funding of these programs, I don't know.  It does not appear that residential treatment centers are going away, but perhaps with taxpayers paying for the programs, there will be more public involvement in what is going on.

And, why exactly should taxpayers supplement the modification of your child's behavior?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700