Author Topic: Maia Szalavitz "Tough Love & Free Speech" (Sch  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz "Tough Love & Free Speech" (Sch
« on: August 24, 2007, 08:08:22 PM »
Tough Love and Free Speech
How a 'child advocate' gamed the media

Maia Szalavitz | August 24, 2007

Sue Scheff has some serious chutzpah. Portrayed by ABC News, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and Forbes as a beleaguered mom running a small business to help parents find treatment for troubled teens, Scheff's been telling reporters about a service called Reputation Defender, which she says allowed her to triumph over a bunch of rage-filled Internet cranks. Scheff says these vengeance-seeking wackos nearly destroyed her, an innocent businesswoman, with a series of libelous comments posted on online discussion boards. They had called her a “fraudâ€
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 08:41:50 PM »
:nworthy:  ::cheers::

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 08:52:35 PM »
This was my comment to Maia's article:

Sue Scheff has written a blog "Whitmore Academy-My Experiences" in which she promotes the defunct Whitmore Academy; and praises the owners, Mark and Cheryl Sudweeks. This blog fails to disclose these owner's criminal histories in 3 countries -Canada, Mexico and the United States. Yet Scheff bashes, and posts lies about a parent critic. Scheff blames this parent for the Sudweeks'legal problems - yet Cheryl Sudweeks accepted a plea bargain in her Whitmore criminal case; in which she was charged with 5 counts of abuse, and 2 counts of hazing against 4 Whitmore Academy students.
Scheff has announced that she has a 2nd Whitmore blog she will release entitled:
"Whitmore Academy, THE SECRET, SHHH" in which she advises her readership to "stay tuned" for some secrets about this parent she promises to reveal; in what appears to be another attempt to silence this parent's criticism.
Is this what Scheff defines as "freedom of speech?" Does Scheff really know the meaning of defamation?
I received a letter from Scheff's attorney, David Pollack, when I voiced criticisms about Whitmore Academy; and Scheff/PURE's referral of my daughter to Whitmore. Scheff criticized WWASP; yet she wanted to silence my right honestly voice my opinion as written in my statement to International Survivors Action Committee: www.isaccorp.org
The full account of the Whitmore story can be read on www.sueschefftruth.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 08:52:38 PM »
“This has allowed the focus to shift away from the tactics that Scheff has used and the fact that she describes herself on the net as a child advocate and a critic of the industry, when in reality, she symbolizes so much of what is wrong with it.â€

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 10:02:13 PM »
Quote from: Guest
“This has allowed the focus to shift away from the tactics that Scheff has used and the fact that she describes herself on the net as a child advocate and a critic of the industry, when in reality, she symbolizes so much of what is wrong with it.â€