Author Topic: Matthew Israel Interview (Judge Rotenberg Center)  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Matthew Israel Interview (Judge Rotenberg Center)
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 12:14:08 PM »
I don't get how this place can still be open if the major disability law organizations are interested in killing it.

What kind of dark power does this man channel?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
What kind of dark power does this man channel?

State Rep. Jeffrey Sanchez, whose nephew Brandon has been in Matthew Israel's "care" since 1992; has done what he can to ensure that no bill banning aversives becomes law.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »
Let us also not forget the facility's namesake, Judge Rotenburg, and his loyalists...

It used to be called something else, but got changed to JRC after Rotenburg ruled in Israel's favor when a state agency (? not sure) tried to get it axed quite some time ago.  Rotenburg also made this agency pay Israel's court fees plus punitive damages.  Believe the damage was on the order of six figures.  Put a real chill on Israel's opponents.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 04:39:14 PM »
This comment was posted to a blog about JRC back in June:

I was in this program for two years and two months and I don't feel comfortable talking about the things that they have done to me or other people on a public blog. All I will say is that there is more going on then what the news is even reporting. If you haven't heard the screams of people you live in close quarters with or the smell of their burning flesh and cries for days on end you can't really feel the pain of the people who went here and are still there. When people talk about this so-called school they never talk about the higher-functioning students who make up half of the school and what they have to go through. There are many "Normal" students who are subjected to the same torturous methods as the special-needs students it's almost even worst for them because they are fully aware that they are being tortured. You never hear any one report that all of your civil liberties are stripped as soon as you enter the program. There are cameras everywhere. Your bedroom, bathroom, classroom, transportation etc. JRC also follows a point system in which positive behaviors are rewarded with points and negative behaviors result in a lost of points. Of course depending on your staff every so-called negative behavior is totally subjective. I lost all of my privileges before for saying Jesus Christ because a staff thought that equates to cursing! How foolish is that? What's even more repulsive is the support that JRC has from many parents. I'll say this though JRC is a place where parents who gave up on their child send them. A lot of people there would have been better off with some counseling (this is in reference to the higher functioning students). People do not discuss the inappropriate relationships that go on between staff and students or the fact that many older kids/adults who are there for pedophilic behavior are your roommates and classmates and are encouraged to interact with all students even the younger ones! It’s not until my Dad took me out of the program that I found out from a staff that one of my good friends, who was a grown women mind you (23 and I was 12 ), was there because she raped her little brother and sister. That explained every thing because her mother never wanted to see or hear from her for some reason and now I know why. I will not mention any names because you can go on their site and see who I am talking about if you do I don't want to get sued for slander, but a staff who still works there today had a sexual relationship with a teenage boy there and bore his child. This was in the late 90's and she still works there today! On a more personal note though, my best friend was there with me at JRC she was sent there for acting out as well. Well let me explain her situation. She was being anally and vaginally raped by her uncle and her only way to release her anger was fighting in school; no one listened to her and her grandmother and mother knew what was going on but did nothing. Now JRC knew that she was being raped by her uncle and did nothing about it. Usually schools are supposed to report to the police department or child protective services when kids are being sexually abused. It’s not like they didn’t have evidence because there were eyewitnesses from other JRC students who went on a home visit with her let alone the physical evidence. This is just one of the many situations where JRC does not do any thing because on average they are receiving $214,000 for each student and that is just more important than the well being of a student. If you have gone to their site you will see that on the outside these students are living in luxury but behind close doors they are suffering. I have said enough. Feel free to email me if you have any questions: http://autisticbfh.blogspot.com/2006/06 ... ed-ad.html

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Matthew Israel Interview (Judge Rotenberg Center)
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 10:55:26 AM »
Here's Matthew Israel's equivalent of an About-Me page from the JRC website. A lot of this goes into greater depth and detail of more or less the same material in the Interview with Jennifer Gonnerman which started off this thread, however, there is some additional data here as well. In particular, he goes into a lot of detail re. his legal difficulties when individuals and institutions have attempted to get JRC shut down.

History and Basic Principles of JRC
by Matthew L. Israel

1971-1985: Beginnings, Philosophy and Early Growth

I studied psychology under the late B.F. Skinner as an undergraduate, as a graduate student, and as a post-doctoral fellow at Harvard University. I received a doctorate in psychology at Harvard in 1960. I was very impressed with Skinner's work and accomplishments. As a result, I was confident that the basic behavioral principles and technologies that he had developed or refined could be fruitfully applied in the treatment of a wide variety of behavior disorders. Behavioral principles appeared to be extraordinarily successful in both explaining and managing behaviors.

My first opportunity after graduate school to apply these principles and techniques was in the 1960's, during which time I founded a company in Cambridge, Massachusetts that wrote self-instructional materials for publishers and businesses and manufactured teaching machines. Another opportunity was in two behavioral communes that I started in 1966 and 1967. In one of these I employed behavioral principles to eliminate a three year old girl's behavioral problems, changing her from what some considered to be extremely spoiled, demanding and annoying, into a charming presence in the house. In the late 1960's I consulted to the Rhode Island Children's Center where I developed a behavior modification program for neglected and dependent children in one of the homes at that Center. In 1970 the director of the Emma Pendleton Bradley Home for Children in Riverside, Rhode Island, invited me to establish its first unit for the treatment for autistic children.

In 1971 I started the Judge Rotenberg Educational Center (JRC) by offering behavioral treatment consultation in the homes of parents of autistic-like children. JRC's first residential program was started in the fall of 1972, within a private home in Cranston, Rhode Island. The program at that time served two adolescent students. One was the schizophrenic child of the parents who lent us a wing of their home to use as the treatment center. From 1971 to 1994, the program was known as Behavior Research Institute. In 1994, we changed our name to the Judge Rotenberg Educational Center, to honor the memory of the judge (below) whose courageous decisions and actions helped to preserve our program from extinction at the hands of state licensing officials in the 1980's.

From its inception in 1971 JRC's basic plan was to apply, in a comprehensive and thoroughgoing manner, the then-newly emerging science and technologies of behavioral psychology to the education and treatment of severe behavior disorders. To use behaviorism as the foundation of treatment was a new approach to such treatment, which at that time was still heavily influenced by the use of pharmaceuticals and the psychoanalytical approach of Freud and his followers. A thoroughgoing and consistent behavioral approach to treatment was quite unusual at that time. The more common approaches at that time were psychoanalytic treatment, psychotropic drugs, normalization, educational approaches, milieu therapy, psychiatric counseling, play therapy, or eclectic, multidisciplinary approaches in which a combination of a little bit of several different approaches were used, with none predominating.

A thoroughgoing behavioral approach differs markedly from these traditional approaches in certain ways. Some of these differences, which are itemized below, have caused JRC to experience difficulties with licensing agencies from time to time.

•  Near-zero rejection and expulsion policy.
          We have always accepted any and all individuals for treatment and have tried to maintain a zero or near-zero rejection and expulsion policy, provided that the needed treatment procedures are made available to us. We do not limit those whom we accept to persons with certain psychiatric diagnoses and labels. In fact, once we have determined that the least restrictive and most effective treatment for a student is behavioral treatment, we really pay relatively little attention to psychiatric diagnoses which are essentially labels for groups of behaviors. Instead, we look directly at the behaviors that are the individual's problem and simply set about treating each of those individual behaviors. Of the first two students we worked with, one was labeled autistic and one was labeled schizophrenic.

Our policy of near-zero rejection and expulsions, coupled with the success we demonstrated in treating our students, resulted in agencies referring their most difficult behavior problems to us. Most of our referrals had been unsuccessfully served in numerous other private and public mental health and educational facilities before they were referred to JRC. Many of our students arrive directly from unsuccessful psychiatric admissions.

•  Active treatment rather than warehousing.
          We do not solve behavioral problems by simply accepting the problem behavior as it is and adjusting our treatment environment to allow it to occur; instead, our goal is apply active treatment and educational procedures to change the behavior so that the individual can function successfully in the normal environment outside of our treatment facility.

The fact that our mission is to provide active and relatively rapid treatment of severe behavior problems, with a no-rejection and no-expulsion policy, and not merely to serve as a care facility for children whose only problem is that they lack a normal home environment, explains some of the issues we have had with licensing agencies from time to time. Licensing standards that are set up for the latter type of facilities are not appropriate for programs that are designed for the active treatment of extreme problem behaviors.

•  Treatment with a unitary, coordinated and comprehensively Skinnerian, behavioral approach, rather than with a "multi-disciplinary" approach.
          The hallmark of JRC is that it is makes use of a behavioral approach and that this approach guides and informs all services provided by the agency to staff, students and parents. Although JRC has always employed nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists, psychiatrists, physicians, medical consultants and teachers, all of these special services are administered in a manner that is as consistent as is possible and practical with an overall Skinnerian, behavioral approach. JRC is probably the most consistently behavioral treatment program in existence.

•  Behavioral rather than a psychiatric, approach.
          A behavioral approach essentially views a treatment problem as one in which the individual has certain behaviors that need to be decreased and certain ones that need to be increased. The fundamental technique for accomplishing these increases and decreases is the application of rewards and punishments. We use as one of our most important measures of effectiveness, the frequency of problem and desired behaviors. Behavioral frequencies and trends are displayed on Precision Teaching Charts that had been designed in the 1960s by Dr. Ogden Lindsley, another student of Skinner. Behavioral treatment decisions are based on the data shown on these charts, rather than on clinical impressions, hunches, or observations alone.

•  Behavioral, rather than traditional counseling.
          At JRC counseling is done as a fully coordinated and integrated component of a total behavioral approach. We call our counseling "behavioral counseling." This means, for example, the following: the counseling is not given on a regular schedule but rather on an as-needed basis; the counseling is not given at points where it might function as an inadvertent reward for some problem behavior that has just occurred; the counseling is given by clinicians and other trained staff that are employed by JRC, rather than being provided by persons outside of JRC; the content of the counseling session is not necessarily kept private between the counselor and the counselee, but instead is shared with other professionals in the agency as needed; and the purpose of the counseling is to enhance the student's cooperation with, and progress within, the JRC program and to change his/her behavior toward the treatment goals set by JRC.

•  Behavioral procedures as the means of treatment, rather than the use of normalization.
          The dominant philosophy of the care of mentally disabled individuals during much of JRC's existence, which continues even today, is that of normalization, also sometimes referred to as social role valorization. This approach, which insists that such persons should be placed in, and cared for, with as "normal" a set of procedures as possible, is frankly opposed to the notion of behavioral treatment. In behavioral treatment, normalization is accepted as the goal of the treatment process, but not as the means for reaching that goal. Indeed, behavioral procedures that will effectively eliminate problematic behaviors and help the student improve his/her condition and live a more normal life often have to be highly abnormal at first until the behavior changes sufficiently. As the behavior changes, however, the environmental conditions can and are made increasingly normal.

In this respect, JRC is like a medical hospital. The goal of most medical hospitals is to return the individual to good health and to a normal living situation outside the hospital; however, in order to reach that goal it may be necessary to do some highly "abnormal" procedures within the operating rooms and in the emergency and intensive care wards of the hospital.

•  A complete treatment facility—i.e., not tossing the treatment problem to others when the problem becomes difficult.
          We view our program as a "hospital of last resort" where whatever behavioral treatment is needed will be applied to solve the problem. If a student becomes difficult to handle, we do not turn the problem over to a psychiatric facility or to the criminal justice system; instead, we adjust our treatment procedures to adequately deal with the problem behaviorally.

•  No or minimal use of psychotropic medication.
          We have always employed either no psychotropic medication at all, or the very minimal amount that is needed. Psychiatrists are employed to help us assess whether such medication is needed and to help us diminish or eliminate the psychotropic medication when it is not needed. Our psychiatrists make considerable use of our behavioral charts as they make these decisions.

•  Use of powerful rewards.
          In order to treat individuals without drugs, and without traditional counseling or warehousing, a program will obviously need alternative effective procedures that can be used in their place. In JRC's behavioral approach this means, among other things, that first and foremost the program must have available as powerful a set of rewards as is possible. The first area in JRC's present school building that we created was a large arcade-type reward area to motivate students to behave well and learn. We also created a reward corner in each lower-functioning room, reward boxes for the teachers to use, a contract store where students could pick rewards to purchase and work for, etc. We are not aware of any other treatment center that uses as wide a variety and as powerful a set of rewards as we do.

•  Giving the parent the option to supplement the reward treatment with physical aversives when rewards and educational procedures alone prove to be insufficiently effective.
          If treatment with the use of rewards, loss of privileges, fines, other non-physical aversives, and educational procedures, prove insufficiently effective by themselves, then the parent should be given the option of supplementing the student's program with carefully administered physical aversives. In the 1970's and 1980's, JRC employed physical aversives such as the pinch, spank, muscle squeeze, water spray, vapor spray (mixture of compressed air and water), ammonia capsule, unpleasant taste, and white noise. During the 1991-1993 period, JRC substituted a 2-second remote-controlled shock to the surface of the skin for all of these procedures. This procedure is called the GED (Graduated Electronic Decelerator).

At the time that JRC was starting (1971), a movement to limit the use of punishments in the raising of children was already well under way. In that year, for example, Sweden passed a law banning the use of punishment with children. (Interestingly, no punishment was specified for failing to obey the law). The use of punishments in the education and treatment of children is still, today, vigorously opposed in certain quarters and has even been banned in the regulation of certain state agencies. OCCS regulations, for example, explicitly ban the use of aversive procedures. Every year or so a bill is introduced in the Massachusetts state legislature to ban the use of aversives. (This bill has never passed, however.) Because of all this, JRC and its parents have had to battle fiercely over the years to create and preserve this important component of its treatment.

•  Video monitoring, 24/7 of staff performance.
          The best-laid behavioral programs in the world are to no avail if they are not carried out as designed by the direct care staff. Ever since JRC's first residential program in 1975, we have used videos cameras in all rooms to monitor staff, and sometimes student, performance.

This set of policies has always enabled JRC to provide unusually effective treatment. Ultimately, the parents and placement agencies are interested in is just that—effective treatment. As a result, during the period 1971 through 1985 JRC grew from 2 students to approximately 65 students. Our school and administrative offices were in Providence, Rhode Island during this period.

From 1971 to 1975 JRC operated as a day school/treatment center. The program was approved by both the Rhode Island Department of Education and was licensed by the Rhode Island Department of Mental Health. In 1975 we opened a residence for some of its students in Seekonk, Massachusetts. In succeeding years we added other residences in Attleboro and Rehoboth, Massachusetts. These residences were licensed as group residences by the Massachusetts Office for Children (OFC).

1985-87 Failed Attempt by Office for Children to Close JRC

In 1985 a young man died at JRC while being restrained at one of our residences. The cause of death was ultimately determined to be natural causes related to his condition of tardive dyskinesia and not due to the restraint procedure that had been employed. Opponents of JRC seized on this death, however, to call for the closure of JRC. JRC's opponents included officials of the National Society for Autistic Children and various other local advocacy groups, such as the Disabilities Law Center, Massachusetts Association for Retarded Citizens, Massachusetts Civil Liberties Association, etc. All of these agencies wrote letters to the Governor, urging him to close JRC. The governor of Massachusetts at that time was Michael Dukakis, who was preparing for his 1988 run for president1.[/b] JRC must be allowed to continue to employ aversives, but only if each student with whom it wished to employ aversives undergoes a substituted judgment hearing.

2. A Court Monitor was appointed to visit JRC periodically and to report to the Court on the status of JRC. John Daignault, Psy.D., was appointed to be the Court Monitor.

3. OFC agreed to issue a letter of apology to the JRC Parents.

4. The Commonwealth agreed to be bound by the standard of "good faith" in its licensing dealings with JRC.

5. A Mediator was appointed to hear disputes that might arise between JRC and its licensing agent. The purpose of this was to keep these disputes from burdening the court system. If the mediator is unable to solve the problem through mediation, any party is permitted to appeal directly to the Bristol Probate Court without having to go through the usual and time-consuming administrative law process. John Daignault, Psy.D., was appointed to be the Mediator. He was succeeded by the Honorable John Hurd. The Honorable Lawrence T. Perera has been appointed to assume the role of mediator when his appointment as Receiver has concluded.

6. In recognition of the bitterness that had developed between OFC and JRC, and to give JRC a fresh start, the licensing functions that OFC had exercised over JRC were transferred to DMH. DMH soon thereafter spun off DMR as a separate state agency and DMR assumed DMH's obligations under the Settlement Agreement.

During 1987, the attorney who had headed OFC during the OFC-JRC controversy was removed or transferred from that office and the agency was given a new head.

In 1987 DMH formally accepted its obligations under the Settlement Agreement. Later in 1987 or in 1988, DMH adopted new regulations on the use of aversives which paralleled its obligations under the Settlement Agreement. During the process of developing these regulations, DMH invited input and consultation from JRC. The new regulations categorized aversives into three levels and required that the most severe aversives (Level 3 Aversives) could only be employed if the petitioner obtained court authorization through the same substituted judgment process that JRC was required to use under the Settlement Agreement. The regulations also created a certification process in which certain organizations would be certified on a program wide basis to be allowed to employ Level 3 aversives. This certification must be renewed every two years.

In 1986 or 1987 some anti-aversives advocates introduced a bill in the Massachusetts legislature that would ban the use of aversive procedures. Although the bill would ban all aversive procedures, it was clear that it was aimed at JRC in particular. In 1987 the bill passed its initial committee and even passed the entire House of Representatives. Fortunately, because Michael Dukakis was running for president in 1988, the legislative session was abbreviated to help him spend more time on the campaign trail and the bill was not taken up by the Massachusetts Senate. The same bill has been introduced every few years since then and each time JRC staff, parents and students have lobbied vigorously to kept he bill from passing. Fortunately we have been increasingly successful in doing this each time the bill has been introduced.

In the late 80's or early 90's DMH spun off its mental retardation services as a separate agency known as the Department of Mental Retardation (DMR). After its creation, DMR adopted DMH's regulations on the use of aversives, and sought and obtained from the court an amendment of the Settlement Agreement to add DMR as a party to that agreement.

1987-1993 Peace, Calm and Growth under DMR

From 1987 to 1993 JRC functioned very well under the new DMR licensing authorities and resumed its growth. JRC's population, which had shrunk to about 39 students during the JRC/OFC controversy, rose to 65 by 1993. During these years we introduced a few new features to our program:

•  Beautiful decoration. We have made it a point to make all of JRC's spaces, in the school, in the administrative offices, and in the residences, unusually beautiful. No institutional furnishings are used and every bedroom and residences is decorated differently from every other. Our goal is to make the experience of attending school an attractive one, and to create a colorful, beautiful and optimistic learning environment.

By making our school building as rewarding as possible, both in its look as well as in its various reward functions and areas, we have been able to use the opportunity to attend the school building as an earned reward. Similarly, students who behavior extremely poorly are required to stay in their residence and receive their academic instruction there, instead of at our school building.

•  Maximum use of computer technology. As computers came into use, we saw them as an important tool. Every student has his own computer. There is now staff and student networks and web sites, discussion boards, an executive blog, a parent/agency web site, etc. Approximately 70% of our instruction is self-paced, programmed instruction that is carried out by means of self-instructional software. All behavior data is entered in a database and displayed through charting software that can be viewed from any computer on our network. We now monitor all classrooms residences and buses by means of digital video monitoring and recording.

In approximately 1992, DMR received a new Commissioner named Philip Campbell. Commissioner Campbell had previously been the head of the Massachusetts Association for Retarded Children (MARC). Mr. Campbell appears to have had a strong personal and philosophical opposition to the use of aversives and to the existence of JRC. While serving as the head of MARC, he had testified in favor a bill to ban the use of aversives in Massachusetts.

1993-1997: Failed Attempt by DMR to Close JRC

In 1993, Judge Ernest Rotenberg died. The Honorable Elizabeth LaStaiti succeeded him as Chief Judge of the Bristol County Probate Court. Shortly after that, DMR began a comprehensive campaign to close JRC and to interfere with JRC's ability to obtain referrals from other states. The details of this campaign are to be found in a set of findings that Judge LaStaiti eventually made in 1995 and which may be found at here. In carrying out his campaign1997-Date: Peace, Calm and Growth under the Receiver

From 1997 and continuing to this date, JRC experienced another period of calm in its relationship with its licensing agency (DMR), which was now overseen by the Receiver. In 1996 JRC had moved its administrative offices and school building from Providence, Rhode Island to Canton, Massachusetts. JRC's educational program continued to be approved by the Massachusetts Department of Education which had already approved the program when it had been located in Rhode Island.

The receivership gave JRC a welcome protection from further attempts by licensing agencies to interfere with its treatment. As a result, the program thrived and grew in size.

JRC took advantage of the respite in litigation that the Receivership ensured by introducing a few new major features into its program:

•  Nutrition/wellness initiative. In approximately 2002 we began to invite nationally known nutritional experts to speak to our students and staff and we made a study of contemporary nutritional science. This led us to change our menus toward a much healthier type of foods and to encourage our students and staff in the same direction.

•  Transparency in our treatment decisions. In 2004, we opened up a Parent/Agency website and began to place every possible document relating to our treatment decisions and the progress of our students on that site. Parents and placement agency officials can now, for example, keep up with the daily behavior charts, and even see the weekly progress notes that clinicians have entered for the student in question.

In 1997, JRC opened a 6-bed respite services program that provides short-term (30-60 day) respite services to developmentally disabled clients of the Massachusetts Department of Mental Retardation.

In approximately 2002, JRC opened its day program, called Tomorrow. Currently this programs serves 3 students.

Beginning in approximately 2003, the Receiver began to return various functions to DMR and to wind down the Receivership. DMR indicated its desire to transfer the licensing of students under the age of 22 back to OFC, which was now called OCCS. JRC agreed, but only on condition that JRC's treatment modalities be preserved and that OCCS be willing to accept the obligations of the Settlement Agreement that DMR had been subject to. OCCS was reluctant to accept this obligation.

The matter was resolved on September 4, 2003 at a meeting of the parties in front of Steve Hanna, the First Assistant Register of the Bristol County Probate Court. The parties agreed that DMR would delegate its licensing authority over JRC's under-22 population to OCCS. This means that OCCS is acting as DMR's agent in licensing JRC and that DMR and its agent OCCS must comply with all the terms of the Settlement Agreement. Judge LaStaiti issued an order effectuating this agreement.

As of June 30, 2005, OCCS ceased its existence as an agency under the Executive Office of Human Services (EOHHS). The licensing functions of OCCS have been transferred by statute to EOHHS. We are informed that as part of an interagency agreement, the Department of Early Education and Care (EEC), a new agency that started on July 1, 2005, has accepted all of the former OCCS licensing powers and obligations that had been transferred by statute to EOHHS, including EOHHS' obligations to license JRC's under-22 group homes acting as DMR's agent.

Current Status

JRC's educational program continues to be approved by the Massachusetts Department of Education. At the present time all of JRC's residences are currently licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Mental Retardation (DMR). Currently, JRC is working with DMR and the licensing officials of the former Office of Child Care Services (OCCS) to try to separate out the under 22-years-old population of students at JRC and to have the residences that house those students licensed by EEC, the new agency that has taken over the licensing duties previously carried out by OCCS.

Today, JRC serves over 200 students and adults from many states. These individuals live in 37 apartments, town houses and homes which JRC operates in Canton and neighboring communities. All attend JRC's day school at its Canton facility each day. The program is staffed with approximately 900 employees.

---0-•-0-•-0-•-0---

186. This Court concludes that a plan was developed at the September 7, 1993 meeting which was implemented over the next year and a half to disrupt the financial operations of JRC. There were many parts of this plan, including interfering with JRC's fiscal condition, which are discussed infra. Generally, a plan was formulated to disrupt the operations of JRC by every conceivable means - to allege that clients were being abused; to interfere with financial operations; to disrupt JRC's relationship with funding agencies, as well as parents; and other activities which have absolutely no bearing on the legitimate exercise of regulatory authority. The plan also included requiring JRC to expend extraordinary funds for legal services in this litigation and in the related guardianship cases. DMR attorneys suddenly became very active in these proceedings. For example, motions were filed in JRC Guardianships challenging treatment plan reviews by a Master and motions were filed in said Guardianships challenging Attorney Bettina Briggs' role as GAL.

187. The September 7, 1993 agenda indicates that it was the task of Commissioner Campbell's Special Assistant, Jean Tuller, to obtain "contacts" with states that provide funding to JRC. (Exhibit 293). As discussed in other parts of this opinion, the Department then undertook a concerted effort to spread knowingly false information to JRC's funding agencies in an effort to prevent new clients from being referred, as well as disrupting current placements.

268.  As described infra, the Department's acts of contempt and other wrongful conduct, imposed a severe and essentially constant burden on the JRC staff by having to respond to an unrelenting stream of bad faith regulatory demands and other bad faith conduct over twenty-two months. The Department's contemptuous conduct also caused a severe and almost constant drain on JRC's revenues by forcing JRC to pay almost one million dollars in attorneys fees and other expenses to defend the school from the Department's contemptuous conduct. The Department has caused even greater financial damage to JRC by reducing JRC's enrollment by attacking JRC's reputation and competency, which were directed to JRC's only source of revenue: its funding and placement agencies. With ever increasing attorneys fees and dropping revenues, JRC had no alternative but to cut staff and reduce purchases in order to maintain financial viability. These cuts along with the staffs' preoccupation responding to DMR's bad faith regulatory demands, adversely affected the quality of the most important aspect of JRC's program--the positive programming and educational components of the program. While aversive therapies are the best known and most controversial aspect of treatment, it is in fact the positive rewards that are the most pervasive and important to the students.

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 04:35:42 PM »
From the Washington Post: http://http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/17/AR2010091705376.html

I am glad that President Obama is being asked to look at it. I find ECT alone to be repugnant and have seen its harmful effects. Operant Conditioning goes way beyond that! There was a really good episode of Law and Order about Operant Conditioning and its effects.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 05:19:06 PM »
Quote from: "iamartsy"
From the Washington Post: http://http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/17/AR2010091705376.html

I am glad that President Obama is being asked to look at it. I find ECT alone to be repugnant and have seen its harmful effects. Operant Conditioning goes way beyond that! There was a really good episode of Law and Order about Operant Conditioning and its effects.

It is a difficult issue and the only way, that I see, how this is going to get resolved is to give it a lot of visibility.  Bring in as many professionals as possible to look at it and review the successes and failures and make an assessment on whether the process is helpful or not.

It would be great if they could do a full fledged investigation on a federal level.  Then either license these people and regulate them or shut it down.  This in between hints the process is abusive, its not abusive, is getting old.

It needs to get resolved.

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 02:02:23 AM »

I most states people with psychiatric labels (o.k. anybody) can be forced to take medication against their will.
In most cases this is done on pure hearsay and 1 Dr. & Judge.
I could write several books on this subject alone...luckily others have already done the work.
I have seen people ask for ECT to get out of a Hospital quicker....they got worse and stayed longer.
Psychiatrists have a drug habit for real!
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 04:02:46 AM »
Quote from: "Eliscu2"

I most states people with psychiatric labels (o.k. anybody) can be forced to take medication against their will.
In most cases this is done on pure hearsay and 1 Dr. & Judge.
I could write several books on this subject alone...luckily others have already done the work.
I have seen people ask for ECT to get out of a Hospital quicker....they got worse and stayed longer.
Psychiatrists have a drug habit for real!
Hey, I can tell you from experience that Kentucky law states that even if a few other doctors want to keep ye in the psyche ward, that is just takes one doctor to say  no and get ye out. That is sincerely the only state I know really well about mental health laws other than Ohio.
"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 12:29:05 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

It is a difficult issue and the only way, that I see, how this is going to get resolved is to give it a lot of visibility.  Bring in as many professionals as possible to look at it and review the successes and failures and make an assessment on whether the process is helpful or not.

It would be great if they could do a full fledged investigation on a federal level.  Then either license these people and regulate them or shut it down.  This in between hints the process is abusive, its not abusive, is getting old.

:wall:
oy......I am thinking of opening an abortion clinic for adult children.
Drop off any kid over 18 and abort them.....HOLY SHIT I'D BE FUCKIN RICH!!!
I can see the traffic jam now :seg2:
"Did you ever wish you had aborted your child but it is too late because they are over 18 now?" :roflmao:
"Come to the Judge Rottenbitch Center and we will make your dreams come true" <<<<<<INSERT COPYRIGHT RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW :clown:
"Did you create a genetic nightmare and can't turn back time?" WE WILL DO IT FOR YOU ;)
"We will torture them slowly to death for x-tra MEGAcash" :poison:  :deal:
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 01:49:49 AM »
Quote from: "Eliscu2"

:wall:
oy......I am thinking of opening an abortion clinic for adult children.
Drop off any kid over 18 and abort them.....HOLY SHIT I'D BE FUCKIN RICH!!!
I can see the traffic jam now :seg2:
"Did you ever wish you had aborted your child but it is too late because they are over 18 now?" :roflmao:
"Come to the Judge Rottenbitch Center and we will make your dreams come true" <<<<<<INSERT COPYRIGHT RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW :clown:
"Did you create a genetic nightmare and can't turn back time?" WE WILL DO IT FOR YOU ;)
"We will torture them slowly to death for x-tra MEGAcash" :poison:  :deal:
A refreshing, and yet depressing, observation!  :tup:

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »

It is a difficult issue and the only way, that I see, how this is going to get resolved is to give it a lot of visibility.  Bring in as many professionals as possible to look at it and review the successes and failures and make an assessment on whether the process is abusive or not.

It would be great if they could do a full fledged investigation on a federal level.  Then either license these people and regulate them or shut it down.  This in between hints the process is benign, its not benign, is getting old.

traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 10:37:49 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Thats great, Anne, I think we agree on this one.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 08:39:55 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Thats great, Anne, I think we agree on this one.
That wasn't Anne's post that you just attributed to her. You just substituted your own (previous) post in its place.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 08:49:12 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
That wasn't Anne's post that you just attributed to her. You just substituted your own (previous) post in its place.

I took a double take myself, Ursus, but I didnt mind that she copied and pasted my post like that, maybe she was just trying to bump it up.  If you look one post up from mine you will see she copied my post, I didnt make it up.

Link