Author Topic: Searching on Four nuts...  (Read 2007 times)

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Searching on Four nuts...
« on: August 17, 2007, 03:55:59 PM »
fyi search is working but being reindexed it will take a day or two to be completely reindexed.

it is kind of a slow process, although really not that bad considering it was next to impossible to do on my server. but phpbb.. there here forum, in my opinion, not the best way to put together an indexed search.  when you could (mysql is better at this now then it used to be) just take advantage of the indexing capabilities in the db itself. but that's another story...

When all is said and done it indexes the over 250,000 messages word by word resulting in about 9 million rows. and it doesn't index shit like "and" "the" "lol" in case you were wondering why it takes so damn long there you have it. Just wanted people to know it's a work in progress.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 07:59:15 PM »
You suck.

NOt!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 11:02:47 AM »
Cool beans! Couple of things I'd like to get back that I lost in the upgrade. I thought I could just go in and add back my own mods. But SO much has changed since v1.0 I can't even find my way around the code,let alone fuck w/ the database. How hard would it be to add back phrase searching? Also, I'd love to have back the random quotes.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 02:16:40 PM »
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""
Cool beans! Couple of things I'd like to get back that I lost in the upgrade. I thought I could just go in and add back my own mods. But SO much has changed since v1.0 I can't even find my way around the code,let alone fuck w/ the database. How hard would it be to add back phrase searching? Also, I'd love to have back the random quotes.

the quotes you know better then i , go for it.   phrase searching works theres just no data... have over 250,000 messages to RE index. From scratch, at this rate its going to take a few WEEKS just to complete its a slow process and idiotic way, imho to have written it. for anyone with a db larger then 50k or more entries it takes far too long.  

in the mean time i'm gonna jump on rss and get that outta the way.  But won't be starting anything until I catch up on my work which I'm doing this weekend. got bills to pay.

The db right now we only have command line, but gonna get phpmyadmin installed at some point so that should make things much easier if ya don't like command line.  but you have access to all that.
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:38:28 AM »
It has been a very long time since I've been able to search for stuff on fornits the way I used to.  It seems most, if not all, material that can be found via fornits Search goes back no further than this past August.  

For a time, I had completely given up on it and tried to rely on Advanced Search from Google, but Google's algorithm is now so user-unfriendly that it is hard to say which is worse.  It simply does not penetrate the site efficiently.  Often it completely misses references that I know to be there, and which I have then subsequently found by manually going through prospective threads page by page...

Any chance that this state of affairs might change anytime soon?
thnx!!
-------------- • -------------- • --------------