Author Topic: The dilemma of compromise  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Karass

• View Profile
The dilemma of compromise
« on: July 31, 2007, 07:30:08 AM »
Much has been written here lately about compromising, about what it means to be a real advocate and a lot of talk about boycotts of advocate organizations.

For many people, there is no dilemma about compromising -- it's as easy as 'just say no' to programs and those who refer kids to them. That's an easy thing for many of us to agree to. But some people believe that in some cases when dealing with serious mental health issues, a short-term stay in a residential treatment facility -- a real treatment facility with doctors, licensing, etc. -- might be required to stabilize a person who is in immediate danger.

Is it really true that a person cannot be a youth advocate, be against the unregulated 'troubled teen' program industry, and still recognize that in some extreme cases, a short-term residential stay in a real treatment center might be necessary to save, for example, a suicidal person's life? The question doesn't just apply to youth, but to adults as well.

I was on msnbc.com earlier today and saw an ad for SAMHSA, which apparently has some kind of media campaign underway to reduce the stigma associated with mental health disorders. Good for them, I thought, and I clicked on the link to see where it led. I quickly ended up on their Mental Health Service Locator page:

http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/database ... earch.aspx

Search the state of Utah and see what comes up -- a lot of places whose names Fornits readers won't recognize, some of which might be real treatment facilities (or maybe not, who knows?), but also a couple familiar names like Provo Canyon School. I saw that and thought WTF is this? The U.S. government can't even distinguish a medical treatment facility from a quack behavior mod facility?

I searched my own home state, city and surrounding 'burbs and found a couple places I recognize -- places I thought might be real treatment facilities. Then I googled them and found links to dirt on some of them -- newspaper articles from former staff making allegations of abuse or neglect, etc.

So what can I conclude? That all residential treatment is bad? I don't believe that's true. But what do people do when a loved one, whether a youth or an adult, is in a seriously bad way and needs (and wants) professional help? Outpatient treatment is the usual recommendation, but there are some quack outpatient programs too.

The problem, as I see it, is that regulation and licensing are no guarantee of quality care. Whether a facility is located in a big city and operated by a major health care corporation, or is just some mom & pop operation running out of a run-down mansion in Nowheresville, Utah -- either way, there is no assurance that a patient will get help rather than abuse or neglect.

Which is all the more reason why nobody is truly qualified to recommend a residential treatment facility to another person. I applaud the efforts of all advocates (however you define that) to make things better and to publicize known abusive programs. It's very discouraging to see someone attacked for their lack of extremism in fighting this evil. But I also understand the temptation, when dealing with someone who has to choose between the lesser of various evils, to try to tell them what you think you know and hope that they only make a "bad" choice instead of a "really bad" choice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 10:13:28 AM »
Glad I'm not a damn advocate. You are thinking to much about all of this shit.

Get on your horse and go fuck with a program. You will feel better.
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 10:36:11 AM »
Where the hell is Julie's long topic on real therapy?

Think it needs bumping right about now.

The thing is, after programs close, some of the torturers manage to use their experience to get into actual treatment facilities where the administration doesn't know any better. Or they think they can get away with their perversions in an actual mental-health environment. Either way.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 01:49:15 PM »
Quote from: ""TS Waygookin""
Glad I'm not a damn advocate. You are thinking to much about all of this shit.

Thinking too much is obviously a problem you don't have to worry about often.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »
Yep, True dat yo.

You don't have to think very much to hurl a molaktov cocktail either.
am the metal pig.

Offline Ganja

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 01:53:04 PM »
Fucking condescending intellectuals... I'd love to smash their faces in.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 04:16:31 AM »
AAH... it's wonderful to be back on Fornits again.  Can you believe it took two full days to get DSL in this bas-ackwards country...  Well.  I'll be in France for the next month but at least I'm connected.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 07:20:43 PM »
Tu Parle Francais? Quelle heure a'til?