Author Topic: NYRA annual meeting....was today  (Read 14955 times)

Offline SettleForNothingLess

• View Profile
NYRA annual meeting....was today
« on: July 28, 2007, 10:43:14 PM »
I was there...and presented my story and opinions of Peninsula Village.. I must admit I was pretty  disappointed in what the audience consisted of... basically not many....
I guess Im learning more and more about advocates every day. Most seem to be full of it... sorry, but it was made to seem like it was a big deal that I needed to drive my ass down to DC for this meeting.,.. it was made to be important,.. it seemed like a waste of a saturday that i could have been on the beach or working more on this stuff.... i left about 2 hours into the meeting,... i felt like i was at like some 4-H meeting or something.... Seems to me, that with the troubled teen industry, the NYRA isnt what most percieve it as.
Just my opinion. I mean I spent hundreds of dollars to be there.. and the audience when I was presenting this morning was about 15 kids, who not all, but most, didnt really seem to care too much about it.. I dont know, that was my perception... and I guess thats what this Fornits is for, to post our opinions, perceptions, experiences, blah, blah, blah....

The hotel I stayed in last night was really nice, and the pizza was good that I ordered last nite.. so i guess those two silly factors make up for the hundreds of $$ spent and the 14 hours of driving time,.. haha... uhh,... yea ok....

It was an interesting experience though I have to say,.. Opened my eyes more to the fact that alot of organizations are not what they crack themselves up to be. Not saying they are all completely full of it. but they should try and avoid misrepresenting to people who they are and what they are about...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Yours Truly,
Ms. Vigilante
Im standing on the frontline, there waiting for you PV bitches. Lets rock n roll.

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 10:56:26 PM »
I think its time for me to get cracking on forming another organization... that IS what its cracked up to be.. No BULLSHIT
ya know?
I dont know.. im just pissed right now
Yours Truly,
Ms. Vigilante
Im standing on the frontline, there waiting for you PV bitches. Lets rock n roll.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 11:38:34 PM »
Never heard of this group...

Don't feel so down though, you went and thats more then most do. It's hard to gauge an organization just from their online presence but I would suspect that many are desperately trying to gain a footing to make a difference. It takes time, trial and error, and guts I think, but as time passes if we all keep playing the potential to truly change things will grow.

But yeah don't let this experience bum you out, I feel where you're coming from though. I know I've felt like a failure for trying things that I thought would make a difference but finding out that my actions had no effect, or not knowing if my actions had any positive effects. Can't give up though.......
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 12:00:31 AM »
Im doing just the opposite of giving up... if anything, this experience has made me more motivated to get going with trying to form a stable organization of truthful, die hard individuals who really want to destruct the troubled teen industry. i know in my case, i tend to believe i wont stop fighting it until the day I die.
Yours Truly,
Ms. Vigilante

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 12:30:53 AM »
Hey you,

Psy and I were talking about starting an organization a little while ago. I'm on the board of a non-profit up here in Canada (completely unrelated, we promote certain extreme sports and represent skateboarders in court), so I have a fair bit of knowledge about what goes into making it work. The most important part in my mind is the ability to have a voice in the media - to issue statements and such - and lobbying.

Anyway, I'm going to PM you my number....

Rachael
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 08:31:31 AM »
. sorry, but it was made to seem like it was a big deal that I needed to drive my ass down to DC for this meeting.,.. it was made to be important,..

Who made it like it was a big deal that you needed to be there?
am the metal pig.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 12:14:19 PM »
Quote from: ""TS Waygookin""
. sorry, but it was made to seem like it was a big deal that I needed to drive my ass down to DC for this meeting.,.. it was made to be important,..

CAFETY and Youth ACT....
Yours Truly,
Ms. Vigilante

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 12:18:41 PM »
Who from Cafety showed up and did they talk to Alex about his alliance with Isabelle/Caica?
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 12:20:54 PM »
Quote from: ""SettleForNothingLess""
Quote from: ""TS Waygookin""

CAFETY and Youth ACT....

Maybe you should demand some compensation. ::seg::

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 01:25:11 PM »
Brian was there...and i dont know if he spoke to Alex about izzy... i left at 11 am
Yours Truly,
Ms. Vigilante

Offline blombro

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/blombro
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 09:51:47 AM »
Kristin, let me first say that I'm sorry I didn't have the opportunity to see your full presentation, and that I didn't have the chance to express my gratitude for making the time and effort to travel down to D.C. for the, um, conference.  The offer that was made last week to help cover some of your expenses for traveling down to D.C. still stands.

Yes, the turnout was disappointing.  I was given an estimated number of 30 individuals that had planned on attending the conference, and I suppose if you count the number of people who would have come on Sunday, plus all of the presenters, you would have about 30 people.

We viewed this as an opportunity to reach out to politically engaged youth to present an in-depth discussion of the behavioral modification industry.  Sadly, this was perhaps the largest forum to have that discussion.

There are other large conferences where there are many more youth who attend (in particular the FFCMH conference in December), but it is my experience that while these youth are more personally effected by the issues of the behavioral modification industry, they are more politically apathetic.  Still it is our (the board of Youth ACT) intention to present a similar discussion at that conference.

As for the conference itself, Kristin's presentation from what I could observe was excellent.  After she finished I presented for about an hour (no notes, no powerpoint) and took questions from the audience.  The primary point I tried to address was the fallacy of the "good program", and the differential experiences of individuals who may have had good experiences within a program, because of their luck in who their staffers were.  Kristin was there for our first presentation, so you can ask me or her for more info regarding that presentation.

In the afternoon, I was able to address the issue of Isabelle and more broadly the different groups that are involved within the fight against the industry.

I explained the reasons why Youth ACT does not align itself with CAICA.  They are:

The lack of transparency within the organization CAICA (no listing of board members or the "editorial board")
The lack of appropriate citations for material on the webiste
Isabelle's inability to answer or confront difficult questions that were asked of her on the CAFETY website last year when she made an effort to allign herself with CAFETY.
The general sense that Isabelle is an unreliable partner due to her inability to focus on common goals.

More recently evidence has come to light regarding Whitmore Academy, which I don't believe I need to go into here, that casts an appalling light on Isabelle.

Alex from NYRA tried to provide some defense for her actions, citing some of the positive actions she had taken to help get some youth out of programs, even housing them in her home.

I countered that while I'm willing to give Isabelle the benefit of the doubt that she may be "well-meaning", I explained how most operators of residential treatment programs are equally "well-meaning".  I even when so far as to give Isabelle a label of having a Jesus complex, much like many of the operators of programs.

The members of NYRA seemed to get the message regarding how the actions of Isabelle were counter-effective.

However, the group assembled was equally concerned about the witchunt atmosphere present on Fornits and the threats of blacklisting that are regular on this website.  I made the point that Isabelle was frankly not worth the hastle or the defense.

NYRA did not wish to base their decision on the threat of being blacklisted, and so a complete dissociation from CAICA was taken off the table.

They did understand the implicit condonement of referring youth to programs, by linking to CAICA, so a compromise measure was reached where NYRA would place a disclaimer on their CAICA link (similar to the one CAFETY was contemplating for Anti-WWASP at some point) that would condemn Isabelle's practice of referring youth to programs and to referrers, while providing the link to CAICA for informational purposes.  They also agreed to include the links to Fornits, TAUSA, and HEAL, which had been conspicuously absent from their list of resources.

Before I left, I told Alex I would get in touch with him for the next board meeting, which he coyly responded "if I'm still on the board".  

As Alex stated during the second presentation, behavioral modification is about #5 on the list of priorities for their organization.  It is not an issue they have a great deal of expertise in.  What NYRA does have however, is a budget, however small that it is, a sustainable structure, 501c(3) status, an office in Washington D.C, and a sensativity to the issue.  These are all resources.  

I know how this group by in large feels about compromises, and I know how people tend to react when they feel bullied into making decisions.  I have tentatively accepted the decision of NYRA, pending your input on their decision.  I believe that they get it now, and are willing to cut off the pipeline of mis-information.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that this issue was ever simply about HTML code.  I'm assuming that the links will be updated by the end of the week.  I look forward to hearing from all of you regarding our meeting this past weekend.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »
This is unacceptable:
They did understand the implicit condonement of referring youth to programs, by linking to CAICA, so a compromise measure was reached where NYRA would place a disclaimer on their CAICA link (similar to the one CAFETY was contemplating for Anti-WWASP at some point) that would condemn Isabelle's practice of referring youth to programs and to referrers, while providing the link to CAICA for informational purposes. They also agreed to include the links to Fornits, TAUSA, and HEAL, which had been conspicuously absent from their list of resources.

As per my original suggestion, which in no way included blacklisting NYRA, I suggest we boycott CAFTEY immediately.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 12:56:40 PM by Guest »
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 11:18:21 AM »
Of course you do.
 :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »
blombro-- while I don't agree with a boycott on CAFETY, I do think the organization should really reconsider who they align themselves with.    Ignoring clear facts about caica and thier association to the industry is not a good decision.  Caica/positive family solutions was just following in the footsteps of Dore Francis.  Referring to "programs".  Would Alex agree to align himself with Dore?  She is a "child advocate" as well.  Would CAFETY/YOUTH ACT allow Alex to remain on the BOARD if he aligned himself with Horizon Family Solutions?  

Alex are you aware that caica/isabelle is aligned with pure/sue scheff and gayle degraff palmer who refer to abusive programs?  Programs children have been abused and died in?  The concern is not about gossip or dislike of an individual.  It is about deception and underhanded practices.  NYRA/CAFETY is is clearly your choice on how you run your organization.  However, I recommend you take a long look at the advantages and disadvantages of associations/alignments.  In this industry it is all about trust and aligning and supporting organizations/individuals that put children in programs is not a wise business decision.  

Consider the blogs...  Sue/Isabelle "teamwork", Whitmore Blogs supporting the Sudweeks (child and animal abusers).  These are her own words.  

What is so advantagous about connecting with caica/isabelle that NYRA would put their credibility and risk the credibility of cafey/youth act?

Offline blombro

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/blombro
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 01:28:27 PM »
What is your animosity at CAFETY all about?  We don't associate with Izzy, and now we won't be associating with anyone who might inadvertantly help facilitate referrals.  What exactly would you have us do?  We don't make referrals, we recognize the futility of residential treatment.  I have the same complaints about Isabelle that everyone else here does.  We don't work with Isabelle, and I don't expect NYRA to be working with them in the future either (not that they had much of a working relationship with them in the past)  

If the issue is the link, I refer you to www.nospank.net you can start boycotting them also.  So what is the issue here?  What have we done to piss you off.

If the answer is to remove Alex from our board then other than asking for his resignation we have a process we need to go to, which includes bringing the issue to the rest of the board of directors.  So, if you're going to give advice, then tell us what you would like for us to do, not just what we're doing wrong.