Author Topic: Rocklyn Academy(Canada)  (Read 13152 times)

Offline ticked

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:38:29 AM »
Anyone have experience with this facility? Doesn't seem to have anyone from the gov't watching what they are doing there.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 05:51:36 PM »
As far as I know, Canada has absolutely no oversight of RTCs, TBSs or rehab centres. The rehab/cult I was in is located in Alberta (Kids of the Canadian West / Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre) and was the only one I knew of in Canada (except Teen Challenge) till now.

However, just by looking at some of the stuff online, I'd have loved to be there instead of AARC. Able to eat healthy food, take classes w/ registered Ontario teachers, go outside... I'm sure it's not all that great, but it looks like heaven compared to where I was.
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 06:32:44 PM »
Perhaps the problem in Canada is that it is still a new industry. This raises the question in my mind of whether it is better to try and shut it down all together or to lobby for enforceable regulation. Given that it is still so new & small, it is possibly more pragmatic to lobby to shut it down. Particularly considering that Struggling teens mentioned this Rocklyn Academy had a lot of American girls whose parents are too cheap to pay American dollars
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 07:09:27 PM »
Anyone else have experience with this "emotional growth school"? Heads up on this one-so many red flags, very sketchy. Its been growing over the last few years, and attempting to open a 2nd facility. In the meantime they are cramming beds anywhere they can fit them. Accounting practices are creative to say the least. Therapy is added on at very high cost, on top of tuition. They don't spell this out.

There have been quite a few girls from the US sent there. Definitely not the place for a child with mental health issues. They seem to have a reciprocal agreement going with wilderness placements in Utah..alot of girls get sent to wilderness before they are sent back or to other US facilities such as Island View.

Monitoring phone calls, reading mail etc is typical. Most parents have no clue what is really going on there.There is no liscencing or overview by the gov't. The Ministry of Education assigns credits, but it does not in any way oversee the quality of those courses or teaching staff. Its a level system, and not uncommon to make it close to the top and be knocked back down to incoming. Contact with parents is very restricted.

Ticked, I see you posted this in the NewInfo forum.

It is odd to see a genuine "emotional growth" boarding school in Canada, but I guess it's here...

Anyway, do you have any personal connection to this place? We are working on bringing the issue of facilities like AARC and Rocklyn to the attention of the Canadian public and government. So any info is appreciated. Feel free to PM me.
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline ticked

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 02:00:34 PM »
yes, i am a parent. Rocklyn is definitely not the abuse/torture experienced by students at other facilities. There are however, many red flags-and i was horried by some things going on there, and i have no doubt students are at risk in that environment. The website makes it look like an exclusive girl's school-it is not.

The ministry does not oversee the credentials of the teachers or the quality of those credits. Very few, if any of the teachers are certified. In fact, there seem to be a lack of proper credential overall. They admit everyone from kids with major drug issues, sexuality issues, psychotic, eating disordered and no medical supervision. Very scary the numbers packed off to Utah wilderness when they don't buy in and conform. Really the authorities need to know there are kids there.

Offline ticked

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 11:00:02 AM »
Rachael-Do you know if the gov't places ANy regulations on these type of schools? There seems to be no one overseeing safety or ensuring students are advised of their rights.  There are 2 more programs that have opened in Ontario-Pine River Institute which seems to at least have real medical supervision, but who knows. And there is another school for behavioural issues called Pinehurst School. Who's accountable? The money these places charge is astronomical. At Rocklyn at least, the services provided did not justify what they were charging. It all looks good on the website. What you see is not what you get in that case.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 07:30:35 PM »
Hmm.  Background, experience, certification, and degrees (if any) of staff are notably absent from info on the website.

These people really do believe in controlling each and every aspect of these girls' lives!  Holy canoli!! Take a look at the subsections of the Student Guide, e.g., 'Procedures & Consequences':

http://www.rocklynacademy.com/student_g ... edures.htm
Student Guide | Procedures & Consequences
Parents and students of Rocklyn Academy will have an expanded form of each of these titles:

Effective June 17, 2007 -- subject to change if needed/required.

1. Academic Dinner Out

2. Alarm Tampering

3. Anger Management -- minimum of 15 minutes

4. AWOL -- Away Without Leave

5. Big Screen TV

6. Breakfast

7. Bug -Talk e.g. drugs, sex, violence, crime, alcohol, cigarettes, piercing, etc

8. Bullying -- Covert or Overt Bullying, Verbal Aggression, Threats

9. Cell Phones etc.

10. Check-Ins with Residential Supervisor

11. Contributions

12. Cutting, Scratching or Purging, Binging, Restricting, etc.

13. Damage of Property

14. Damaging or Defacing Uniform

15. Defiance

16. Doctor and Dentist appointments

17. Emails

18. Extra Study

19. Gum/Candies/Chocolate/Salt/Food etc.

20. Inappropriate Behaviour -- bed sharing, kissing, etc.

21. Jewellery, clothes, and nail polish - Unauthorized

22. Laptops

23. Late for class, hall, assemblies, bus, events, meds etc.

24. Leaves

25. Library

26. Lying

27. Meal times

28. Movie Night

29. Music, CDs or DVDs etc. -- listened to with headphones

30. Night-Time Routine -- out of room or disruptive after lights out

31. Non-Participation - Individual Therapy, Group and House Meetings, Organized Activities

32. Outings

33. Phone Calls

34. Physical Aggression

35. Piercing, tattoos, branding, choking game -- except 2 pierces in each earlobe

36. Possession of alcohol, drugs or related paraphernalia

37. Possession of cigarettes, matches, and other smoking paraphernalia

38. Private Washroom

39. Searches

40. Sick Day

41. Sick Day -- Inauthentic

42. Staff Disrespect

43. Study Hall

44. Suspended Privileges

45. Suspended Privileges -- Infraction

46. Swearing

47. Theft

48. Tuck

49. Untidy Room

50. Walks

51. Weekend Leaves for Prefects and Head Girls
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 07:37:39 PM »
The vernacular it uses is very similar to that of an Australian or British normal private girls school. Does anyone know who owns it?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline ticked

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 07:46:13 PM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
The vernacular it uses is very similar to that of an Australian or British normal private girls school. Does anyone know who owns it?

From what we can tell Bob Shaw and Dale Stohn.

Offline ticked

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 07:50:51 PM »
Quote from: Ursus
Hmm.  Background, experience, certification, and degrees (if any) of staff are notably absent from info on the website
These people really do believe in controlling each and every aspect of these girls' lives!  Holy canoli!! Take a look at the subsections of the Student Guide, e.g., 'Procedures & Consequences':.
Quote from: Ursus
[/b]

You should see the actual handbook.  :-? Very concerning was the monitoring of all contact with parents-phone and email, and the mail is read by staff. Emails are withheld often. Its a very restrictive environment. It was difficult to get any clear information about credentials. The admissions director is Dr. Darryl Williams, though it looks as though he has removed the "dr" from the website. The desgnation remains on many of the rocklyn links that can be googled. They seem to be affiliated with most of the US websites advertising in this industry.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 07:59:14 PM by Guest »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 07:53:23 PM »
That list is total programmie and it screams Three Springs.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 08:00:36 PM »
I guess this is their version of the level system.  I fail to see how this furthers cultivation of anything other than toadying back-stabbers...

http://www.rocklynacademy.com/student_g ... ileges.htm
Student Guide | Responsibilities & Privileges
IN-COMING STUDENT

Responsibilities:  for 3 full weeks minimum
  • Demonstrates an understanding of the Values of Rocklyn Academy -- Courage, Integrity and Health.
  • Understands the responsibilities and privileges of each level of the Rocklyn Wheel.
  • Has met with her Group Leader(s) to establish academic and personal goals for her time at Rocklyn, as well as personal strengths and challenges.
  • Attends mandatory Group and House Meetings.
  • Starts to follow the Rocklyn Academy's Expectations as outlined in the General, Academic, Residential and Personal Care Expectations and Standards for Student Uniforms.
  • Maintain 80 or above in the Study Management Index
  • Completes daily and weekly contributions.
  • Prepares dinner when scheduled.
  • Participates in The Smart Nutrition Program.
  • Begins to say, "Yes"
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 08:44:01 PM »
Holy shit.. I wouldn't be surprised if those two worked at Three Turds or outright copied the Three Springs teen torture manual.

The similarities are mind numbing.

Ticked if you want my unsolicited advice I'd suggest you take a flame thrower and go burn this place to the ground.

Quickly.

Offline Sue-Sue

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 09:54:07 PM »
Quote from: ""Wandering Waygookin""
Ticked if you want my unsolicited advice I'd suggest you take a flame thrower and go burn this place to the ground.

Quickly.

:roll:

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 04:48:01 AM »
From what I can tell from the net these 2 guys were just run of the mill canadian school teachers before they opened this place in 1999. Anyone know of any prior connections to this industry? How would they have brought such an idea to Canada?