Author Topic: Rocklyn Academy(Canada)  (Read 13448 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rocklyn Academy(Canada)
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2009, 11:40:19 PM »
The real question is how is this place still in business. If your parents want to be responsible for single handedly setting you and any aspirations you might have back at least half a decade... or for worse an eternity then let them know that this is the place to ship you. The head mistress is a transexual, brainwashing, manipulative sadistic creep, who has some how brainwashed the only wonderful staff member left (most got out of there after the first year it was opened - when i attended rocklyn) into staying... then again maybe it is compassion.
Anyway rocklyn at best can be discribed as a mistake, a life altering (for worse) horrendously corrupting... fucked up - should never happen to anyone mistake.

It is career, social, sanity, normaility - SUICIDE!

^^I liked this one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »
it is the saddest place in the world, you'll hear and see things you wish you never did. plus the teachers are not real teachers, and you never get to go out. i went in there being a good little sweetheart, and ended up losing my position for somthing i didn't even do. i left that shithole at in coming, which basically means no god damn rights as a human being!!!!

^^^ lawds child.. tells us, or better yet, tell ISAC all about it.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 11:50:26 PM »
Ok.. posted about ISAC on the Facebook group's page. maybe they'll get some nibbles maybe they won't. I'll sniff around later after they've had some time to think about it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2009, 08:27:34 PM »
Thanks so much! I'll look around too. I'm seeking legal advice and the more I find out about this school the more options I might have. Not that anything I've heard about this place has been positive.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2009, 11:09:05 PM »
not sure what you can do about it legally... but definitely see if you can find away. No telling what can crop up when you least expect it.

Found another juicy blurb on another facebook group:

shitt i just found out this girl from my old catholic school got sent there!
hahhaha her parents did the whole " we're going to ontario!" trick and dropped her off at rocklyn and left her there.
but holy shit i saw on their website they have this new " Rocklyn RAMP" aka
Rocklyn Academy Motivational Plan
LMAO your not allowed to leave your bedroom basically and only showers between 2-4!, SUPERVISED.

I left a message on this other group encouraging them to get in contact with ISAC. lol.. I'm not even an ISAC rep.. hmm.. I think I better let William and Shelby know wuts up.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
It's different this time because the Houston Police are involved.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2009, 01:56:35 AM »
The Rocklyn RAMP is insane. I sent it to ISAC, I can't believe they put it on their website. Some of the particularly awful points include

-No family conflict on level 3
-Not allowed off property on Levels 2 and 3 (gym is off property)
-Supervised shower and bathroom use on Levels 2 and 3
-All free time spent in room and one meal in room per level (so all meals on Level 3)
http://www.rocklynacademy.com/student_g ... l-plan.htm

And this is just what I've found on the website. This assumes this is the whole story.... which I really doubt.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2009, 02:33:27 AM »
Quote from: "tryingtohelp"
The Rocklyn RAMP is insane. I sent it to ISAC, I can't believe they put it on their website. Some of the particularly awful points include

-No family conflict on level 3
-Not allowed off property on Levels 2 and 3 (gym is off property)
-Supervised shower and bathroom use on Levels 2 and 3
-All free time spent in room and one meal in room per level (so all meals on Level 3)
http://www.rocklynacademy.com/student_g ... l-plan.htm

And this is just what I've found on the website. This assumes this is the whole story.... which I really doubt.
Well that's certainly fucked up.  I've uploaded a copy here just in case they remove it.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Another messed up detail here:
http://www.rocklynacademy.com/student_g ... ileges.htm
Archive here.

Also their Consequences page:
http://www.rocklynacademy.com/student_g ... edures.htm
Archive here.

A few more i'll just print out, drag to ftp, and throw up here for download in case they remove:
http://fornits.com/psy/RocklynContributions.pdf
http://fornits.com/psy/RocklynWheel.pdf
http://fornits.com/psy/RocklynCalendar.pdf
http://fornits.com/psy/RocklynSchedule.pdf
http://fornits.com/psy/RocklynPacking.pdf
http://fornits.com/psy/RocklynNutrition.pdf
http://fornits.com/psy/RocklynStaff.pdf

put it up fast because they will remove it. a trend today is gulag-cults removing the abduction and torture from their websites. Beforehand, it was kind of a selling point

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2009, 12:16:53 PM »
I found an enrollment form.

http://netpacepromotions.com/rocklynaca ... ration.pdf

Parents and guardians financially responsible for the girl named below are required to sign this agreement in duplicate, and return both copies along with payment of the non-refundable tuition (payment option 1) or the tuition deposit and first month’s
installment (for payment options 2) or 3) to Rocklyn Academy. One copy will be countersigned and returned to you.

Name of student: ______________________________________
Full names, complete physical addresses and phone numbers of both parents and/or guardians:

Father Mother

In consideration of acceptance of the Registration and Enrolment Agreement by Rocklyn Academy, the undersigned agree to pay the required Tuition for the above-named student for the above-specified enrollment term. I/We further agree to be financially responsible for all expenses incurred by the student during the currency of this agreement. All payments made are non-refundable.

TWO-SEMESTER TUITION FEES
(Tuition Fees are subject to change without notice)
Payment Options
Option 1  
Option 2
Deposit 9,500.00 Deposit 9,500.00
Option 3
month 1 6,860.00 month 1 4,437.50
month 2 6,860.00 month 2 4,437.50
month 3 6,860.00 month 3 4,437.50
month 4 6,860.00 month 4 4,437.50
month 5 6,860.00 month 5 4,437.50
month 6 4,437.50
month 7 4,437.50
month 8 4,437.50
Total Tuition 42,600.00 43,800.00 45,000.00

Additional charges for student activities and expenses at the school are estimated to cost approximately $6,000 for the twosemester
term as specified above. These additional charges will be billed to the students' personal accounts as they occur. Items falling under this category include: uniforms, tuck, horseback riding, skiing/boarding, weekend activities, stationery, medical expenses, special events and the counselling with our therapists.

Initials of parents or guardians

I understand that in accepting this Registration and Enrolment Agreement, Rocklyn Academy assumes an obligation to provide educational services to said student and others attending the Academy and incurs obligations, both financial and otherwise, including but not limited to administration expenses, for this purpose and accordingly my obligation to pay fees is unconditional and irrevocable, that no portion of the fee paid or outstanding will be refunded or cancelled in the event of absence, withdrawal, or dismissal from Rocklyn Academy of the above-named student.

I hereby declare that I have disclosed to Rocklyn Academy, all known background information relevant to the physical and emotional health of the applicant.
I understand that in signing this Registration and Enrolment Agreement I am agreeing to accept the rules and regulations of Rocklyn Academy and the rules governing the payment of fees described herein.

Furthermore, I understand that Rocklyn Academy reserves the right to deny classes and services to a girl should fees not have been paid by the required date, and acknowledge that Rocklyn Academy will assess a late payment charge on overdue balances at the rate of 2% per month (24% per annum) after the due date of this agreement and I agree to the policy of Rocklyn Academy that a final report card will be withheld until all accounts are paid in full. It is further agreed that any negotiable cheques that are returned by the bank for any reason shall be assessed at an
administration fee of $50.00.

A statement of charges to the student’s account will be sent out periodically during the year.

To reserve a place for a student, a non-refundable cheque in full payment of the Tuition or Tuition Deposit and both copies of this Registration and Enrolment Agreement must be forwarded to Rocklyn Academy. This instrument shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario. In particular, it is agreed that the fees and tuition paid or outstanding will be considered liquidated damages.

I give approval to my daughter’s participation in all the school’s programs and activities including without limitation, participation in physical education and athletic programs and activities, acknowledge that such participation involves risks and hazards incidental thereto, all of which are expressly assumed and do hereby waive, release and absolve and agree to indemnify and save harmless, Rocklyn Academy, its employees and agents of and from any and all liability arising there from, except suchas shall arise solely as a consequence of its or their willful neglect or default.

I agree that all pictures, still or video, taken of my daughter may be used for public relations.

Signatures of both parents and/or guardians who are financially responsible for the student.
___________________ ____________________________________
Date Parent / Guardian
Date Parent / Guardian
ACCEPTED:
Date: _______________________ ________________________________

Of particular notice: the second last paragraph where they ask parents to waive blame if the students is harmed unless due to "willful neglect" so accidental neglect is okay? Also the tuition amount increases with more installments which means parents will likely lose more money withdrawing their daughters early.... they also state MULTIPLE TIMES that tuition fees will not be refunded if the students is withdrawn/kick out etc. They mention only education and only mention "counselling" once..... while informing the parents that in a therapeutic school such as this "counselling" is an extra expense which will be billed to them separately... as will gym. Basically the entire enrollment application focusses on getting parents to sign on that they will pay Rocklyn no matter what happens..... Probably a good statement of the interests of the school.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »
Our enrollment form was slightly different. It asked for parental approval for them to send our child to a wilderness program should they deem it necessary.It should have been a huge red flag. There was a form for permission to access her medical records. They never did as far as we can tell. Its apparent they could have cared less what the issues were-they just want the numbers. I can confirm-if you leave early, you are stuck paying the entire shot, despite their reassurances otherwise. If your child enrolls in December for instance, you have to pay until the next December-a full year. After a few weeks it was quite apparent they were incompetent and dangerous. We lost a year of salary, paying for a place that not only didn't help, but caused significant trauma, damage and was unsafe.

We were stupid. We thought that because the Ministry of Ed awarded credits, that the place was supervised, lisenced and had medical support. Dr. Darryl Williams is not a medical dr. They take advantage of desperate parents, and the fact the system here is so lacking in services.

The add on expenses were horrendous. Since they seem to make excuses why our dd needed to have supervised calls home-they would bill us for a therapist to sit in on those calls.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2009, 03:04:21 PM »
Quote from: "tryingtohelp"
Code: [Select]
I found an enrollment form.

Parents and guardians financially responsible for the girl named below are required to sign this agreement in duplicate, and return both copies along with payment of the non-refundable tuition (payment option 1) or the tuition deposit and first month’s
installment (for payment options 2) or 3) to Rocklyn Academy. One copy will be countersigned and returned to you.

Name of student: ______________________________________
Full names, complete physical addresses and phone numbers of both parents and/or guardians:

Father Mother

In consideration of acceptance of the Registration and Enrolment Agreement by Rocklyn Academy, the undersigned agree to pay the required Tuition for the above-named student for the above-specified enrollment term. I/We further agree to be financially responsible for all expenses incurred by the student during the currency of this agreement. All payments made are non-refundable.

TWO-SEMESTER TUITION FEES
(Tuition Fees are subject to change without notice)
Payment Options
Option 1  
Option 2
Deposit 9,500.00 Deposit 9,500.00
Option 3
month 1 6,860.00 month 1 4,437.50
month 2 6,860.00 month 2 4,437.50
month 3 6,860.00 month 3 4,437.50
month 4 6,860.00 month 4 4,437.50
month 5 6,860.00 month 5 4,437.50
month 6 4,437.50
month 7 4,437.50
month 8 4,437.50
Total Tuition 42,600.00 43,800.00 45,000.00

Additional charges for student activities and expenses at the school are estimated to cost approximately $6,000 for the twosemester
term as specified above. These additional charges will be billed to the students' personal accounts as they occur. Items falling under this category include: uniforms, tuck, horseback riding, skiing/boarding, weekend activities, stationery, medical expenses, special events and the counselling with our therapists.

Initials of parents or guardians

I understand that in accepting this Registration and Enrolment Agreement, Rocklyn Academy assumes an obligation to provide educational services to said student and others attending the Academy and incurs obligations, both financial and otherwise, including but not limited to administration expenses, for this purpose and accordingly my obligation to pay fees is unconditional and irrevocable, that no portion of the fee paid or outstanding will be refunded or cancelled in the event of absence, withdrawal, or dismissal from Rocklyn Academy of the above-named student.

I hereby declare that I have disclosed to Rocklyn Academy, all known background information relevant to the physical and emotional health of the applicant.
I understand that in signing this Registration and Enrolment Agreement I am agreeing to accept the rules and regulations of Rocklyn Academy and the rules governing the payment of fees described herein.

Furthermore, I understand that Rocklyn Academy reserves the right to deny classes and services to a girl should fees not have been paid by the required date, and acknowledge that Rocklyn Academy will assess a late payment charge on overdue balances at the rate of 2% per month (24% per annum) after the due date of this agreement and I agree to the policy of Rocklyn Academy that a final report card will be withheld until all accounts are paid in full. It is further agreed that any negotiable cheques that are returned by the bank for any reason shall be assessed at an
administration fee of $50.00.

A statement of charges to the student’s account will be sent out periodically during the year.

To reserve a place for a student, a non-refundable cheque in full payment of the Tuition or Tuition Deposit and both copies of this Registration and Enrolment Agreement must be forwarded to Rocklyn Academy. This instrument shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario. In particular, it is agreed that the fees and tuition paid or outstanding will be considered liquidated damages.

I give approval to my daughter’s participation in all the school’s programs and activities including without limitation, participation in physical education and athletic programs and activities, acknowledge that such participation involves risks and hazards incidental thereto, all of which are expressly assumed and do hereby waive, release and absolve and agree to indemnify and save harmless, Rocklyn Academy, its employees and agents of and from any and all liability arising there from, except suchas shall arise solely as a consequence of its or their willful neglect or default.

I agree that all pictures, still or video, taken of my daughter may be used for public relations.

Signatures of both parents and/or guardians who are financially responsible for the student.
Date Parent / Guardian
Date Parent / Guardian
ACCEPTED:
Date: _______________________ ________________________________

Of particular notice: the second last paragraph where they ask parents to waive blame if the students is harmed unless due to "willful neglect" so accidental neglect is okay? Also the tuition amount increases with more installments which means parents will likely lose more money withdrawing their daughters early.... they also state MULTIPLE TIMES that tuition fees will not be refunded if the students is withdrawn/kick out etc. They mention only education and only mention "counselling" once..... while informing the parents that in a therapeutic school such as this "counselling" is an extra expense which will be billed to them separately... as will gym. Basically the entire enrollment application focusses on getting parents to sign on that they will pay Rocklyn no matter what happens..... Probably a good statement of the interests of the school.

Corrected link:
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2009, 03:18:09 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Our enrollment form was slightly different. It asked for parental approval for them to send our child to a wilderness program should they deem it necessary.It should have been a huge red flag. There was a form for permission to access her medical records. They never did as far as we can tell. Its apparent they could have cared less what the issues were-they just want the numbers. I can confirm-if you leave early, you are stuck paying the entire shot, despite their reassurances otherwise. If your child enrolls in December for instance, you have to pay until the next December-a full year. After a few weeks it was quite apparent they were incompetent and dangerous. We lost a year of salary, paying for a place that not only didn't help, but caused significant trauma, damage and was unsafe.

We were stupid. We thought that because the Ministry of Ed awarded credits, that the place was supervised, lisenced and had medical support. Dr. Darryl Williams is not a medical dr. They take advantage of desperate parents, and the fact the system here is so lacking in services.

The add on expenses were horrendous. Since they seem to make excuses why our dd needed to have supervised calls home-they would bill us for a therapist to sit in on those calls.

I can't tell you how many of these so-called "therapeutic" or "emotional growth" boarding schools pull this kind of tuition scam. In the place I am most familiar with (Hyde School), roughly 35% of the students do not complete the year, with the school keeping the remainder of the tuition (~$1.4 million presuming those kids left, on average, halfway through; many leave earlier).

A few parents have balked successfully, threatening to sue or even starting the process with an attorney. I believe the claims were generally along the lines of "services substantially not as advertised." The school has settled in each case that I am aware of, preferring to keep hostile opinion out of the press. Unfortunately, not enough parents have the wherewithal, or chutzpah, or resources in reserve, to stand their ground. It is definitely more difficult when they already have your cash in hand.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »
We did seek legal advice-and at that point it looked like it was going to cost even more money. They know the laws are shaky on this.

However, a search on Dr Williams today shows he is being investigated for another of his business dealings. One can only hope they take a good look at what else he is up to. He has since taken off the "dr label" and "medical director" off the website i beleive, but it remains in older posts, archived pages etc-especially since they linked themselves with every possible organization and web page out there, its impossible for him to erase the remnants of those lies. He never has been a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/Articl ... ?e=1427378

In this article it appears he was also presenting himself as a medical doctor.
 :eek:

http://www.thestar.com/Business/SmallBu ... cle/459503

If anyone has had run-ins with him presenting himself as a dr-especially if he touched your dd, offered medical advice, prescriptions, diagnosis etc. Call the Owen Sound OPP detachment.