Poll

Would you Tell in detail your Dr. about Straight Inc.?

No...Honesty is best policy of a dishonest man
0 (0%)
Yes...only if they asked
1 (25%)
Depends on the Dr.?
0 (0%)
Yes, depends, on how it was relevant
2 (50%)
Yes, full disclousure!
1 (25%)
Yes, but regret doing so
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closes: February 15, 2045, 05:36:46 PM

Author Topic: Talking with a Dr bout Straight Inc  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
Talking with a Dr bout Straight Inc
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:18:23 PM »
Recently I went to my Dr’s office. Some how or another, I believe it was relating to Commit Lozenges for helping me stop smoking. Before I knew it, I was offering information to my Dr. about my time incarcerated at Straight Inc. There was a slight smirk on her face and she admitted that her daughter certainly gave her a run for her money and the attending nurse also had a son who was apparently a handful. At one point in the conversation, which I found myself very animated, she said something to the affect….”Well, you parents were considerably older…. they probably had no clue what to do with you”….I skipped school…..I smoked pot…..Does that justify two years of my adolescence lost to Straight Inc…which is time I cant get back., ever.

Knowing that my animated state in the presence of a medical professional was none to wise so I summoned what restraint I could muster. And just asked her please, as a professional that may be in a future situation in which she may need to make a recommendation…to please make recommend something other than of course Straight, or any other of the spin off’s. I doubt she will investigate as I asked, so if ya can name a few, it might help.

She asked if I thought the boot camp model of “treatment” was a step up from “Straight”…I found it a very difficult question to answer….

If you found yourself, in front of your physician (and we should all be honest with two people…Drs and Lawyers), how would you explain Straight Inc a defunct entity with various spin offs to them?

Later I thought of so much more to say, but in 5 minutes….really how much can ya say?

So then I thought I would ask your inputs…and then submit them to her…. Be nice…she is good people….

How would you explain Straight Inc to your Dr, past experience to effects it has to this day and how ever many years afterwards?

Thanks in advance!

x-posted in a few places
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 08:40:11 PM »
I only told one Dr and that is when I went to a psychologist a couple years ago. I was falling apart right after finding the boards so Straight was not only relevant, it was THE ISSUE and had everything to do with my diagnosis (PTSD).

To explain Straight, I printed off a lot of stuff off the internet that I thought did a good job of explaining certain aspects of Straight. I used articles, stuff from Wes's site, ISAC, and I brought a couple books...The Great Drug War (ch 2 about Straight) and "Come Clean"...that fiction book based on Straight. So she read some stuff every week, I answered questions, and then talked about Straight in bits in pieces over the course of 8 months. She quickly seemed to understand why it was bad. She didnt understand everything, particularly the mind control aspect, but she understood enough to see it was an abusive and dangerous place. I mentioned the spin offs but dont recall how in depth I got.
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:58:51 AM »
I just want to pipe in and say that if you feel moved to do so it might be good to clear your head and put together some information about this issue, your experience, and how it has affected you and others to present to her. Sometimes it takes seeing the sincerity in a person's heart before they understand the nightmare, it might save her from making a big mistake.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]