Author Topic: Elan Q/A  (Read 19677 times)

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« on: July 14, 2007, 07:02:36 PM »
Answer the questions posted.

Refrain from flaming, trolling, and etc.

I'll try to post one question at a time before asking the next one.

First question:

When did you attend Elan?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
am the metal pig.

Offline WTF2

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:57:39 AM »
1974- 1975

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »
1)What was your first reaction when you were informed you were going to Elan?

2)Did you have any part of that decision making process?

3)Did you or your parents tour the school prior to your admission?

4)What was your first impression upon arrival?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 07:52:02 PM by Guest »
am the metal pig.

Offline WTF2

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 02:19:58 PM »

1)I was in McNeal Hosp. right before going to Elan it was a very very much watered down elan so I guess I tought how bad could it be....

2) No not really I was one of Doctor Shwartz 's it was a givin he said where you would go,

3)F?*k I dont know I walked into a hugh house of ppl screeming and yelling. I was taken up stairs for a Quill shower you know to de- bug you...  I think for the most part I was in shock...

4)My parents seen Elan when I gradutated not before that....

PLEASE forgive my god awful spelling...[/quote]

Offline java.gurl

• View Profile
    • http://www.everyanimalmatters.org
Elan Q/A
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 10:47:33 AM »

I arrived at Elan February of "91" and left September of "93".

I was 14 walking in and 50 walking out. If you catch my drift. I had a few grey hairs. The hairdresser found them when I got my hair cut and dyed a few days after arriving home. She made a joke about me being like the girl in "Nightmare on Elm Street", Nancy, that got grey hairs after fighting off Freddy Krueger. I said "You don't know how close to the truth that is honey" and we all laughed only my dad and I were laughing a bittersweet laugh. The entire ride home I filled him in on the "Elan" experience. My God I have a ton of things that happened to me that I am bursting at the seems to share but I will refrain and stick to the topic at hand. Being able to type fast has it disadvantages too :)

I had been a ward of the state of Ct. for a little less than 1 year at this point. I landed back at my dad's house and he was preparing to enroll me in the local high school when we got a call from my "DCF" worker. (Department of children and family services) and she said that she found a "GREAT" place for me to go to in Maine. I asked a zillion questions about it and she could not answer them all. THAT alone should of been a warning bell to me but I was 14 at the time and my dad was in the room but was cooking and keeping one ear open on my conversation. I asked her if it was like the "Hyde School" because I had a friend that went there and it was supposed to be "OK". She said it was NOT "Hyde" but just as good and it was a boarding school for kids with problems like me and they were nice and would support me and help me. I agreed, excited to go to a boarding school in Maine. I assumed like my dad that it was an actual boarding school with a therapeutic twist to it. I assumed like my dad that I would do the school thing and maybe a few one on one sessions, a few group therapy sessions,get to see a psychiatrist about my depression and maybe get on meds for it, have free time, go skiing, go out and about the town on the weekends, Etc. He was excited that I was getting a great oppurtunity to be in a school that would focus on my learning on an individual basis and that I would be near Portland Maine so I would get to soak up the local culture and see the cool stuff Maine has to offer a young person.

A few days later after my dad took me shopping for clothes and supplies I was packed and ready to go and we met the lady with her driver and they handed my dad some papers and a brochure of Elan and put me in the car and off we went on the long journey from Ct. to Me.

My dad never saw the place in person until about 2 years later. I was there about 32 month altogether.

Upon arriving I wanted to stay with my stuff I brought my radio and sketch books and the Snoopy bank I had for years. They made me leave and said I would get my stuff later on. I believed them. I had my sketch books taken, my radio, my arts and crafts stuff taken away, my books and magazines, my clothes that they deemed "innapropiate" I was into dark colors and long skirts and long sleeves I was into that dark phase a lot of adolescents got into. All my stuff was ripped apart and I ended up with less than 1/2 of what I came in with.

I was taken into Elan 3, I was overwhelmed! People were screaming "Knock" "Headcounts" "Expeditor" "Who's out there", Etc.

I met my "Big Sis" Mindy Grey not to be confused with Mandy Grey. I met a kid named James Clark that I thought was Mindy's BF cuz he obviously liked her. A blind person could see that.
I asked her if they were an item and she got so upset and was like " NO, Don't EVER say that type of thing out loud again"!
I had the whipped puppy dog thing going on and began to wonder what I had gotten myself into...
Where was the nice boarding school campus I was promised? Where was the snow? Where were the cute skiier/snowboarder dudes? The cool chicks I would giggle with late into the night and share makeup tips with?
I was starting to freak out big time! I was actually having a "Panic Attack" years before they were the "IN" thing. LOL.. I could of used some "Xanax" right about then!

I was taken into a dorm and it was a dank, mildew-y, smelly, ugly, dark, damp, room with bunk beds everywhere! I was asked to undress and get into the shower and I "Kwelled" and got dressed only to be told I could not wear this or that or this or that. I said "Jesus, what am I supposed to wear a sheet"?!

Back up at the house I met a few more people and was told to sit down and I was wondering why all the chairs were set up a certain way and I was wondering if the boy upfront was going to put on a performance for us and before I knew it here came Marc and Jeffrey and Linda Roy and they were a screaming and a hollerin and swearing at this young boy and people ran up to him to scream in his face and I started BAWLING. I mean I was crying like I have never cried. I freaked the fuck out! I was screaming get me out of here, this place is nuts, you people are nuts, why are you all trying to kill that boy, If anyone screams at me like that I WILL spit on them back, God help me, God help you, Etc..

I was in "Communications" running around like a trapped rat I was so far from my dad's house and it was awful and there were no phones or nice dorm rooms with homey decorations
and pictures of peoples friends and pets hanging up, there was no campus like atmosphere, there was no skiing and there were no kind people tripping all over themselves to help me and the other kids.
 I wondered this, if the kids screamed at each other like that and went on a system of "ratting" on one another, and the staff encouraged it then who was there to protect us from one another? Kids ruling kids? Fucked up kids ruling other fucked up kids?

This reminded me of a movie I saw and a book I read about a group of boarding school kids that get stranded and they revert to a primitive state of being. "Lord of the Flies"?
 We were all alone and it was obviously a survival of the fittest thing and I knew I was so weak (at THAT moment) and too sensitive to "kill" so I allowed myself to be killed...For a little while that is.....TBC....

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 11:01:07 AM »
awesome post.. I'll put in the questions for reference later.

Thanks for giving me a chance java.gurl.
am the metal pig.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 07:04:36 PM »
Could each of you describe the intake procedure and how it made you feel?

(Java.gurl you already did this somewhat, but if you could elaborate that would be great.)
am the metal pig.

Offline WTF2

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 07:05:23 PM »
To be honest it was so long ago,,,
Just remember being picked up at the airport , the kids that picked me up were strenght, which I didnt know at the time.
We went into the house and I kinda go blank, I forgot so much.... I just remeber that nasty shampoo the nasty smell and thinking how unreal this was, that they even thought I had bugs! I was 14 what can I say....

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »
Quote from: ""WTF2""
To be honest it was so long ago,,,
Just remember being picked up at the airport , the kids that picked me up were strenght, which I didnt know at the time.
We went into the house and I kinda go blank, I forgot so much.... I just remeber that nasty shampoo the nasty smell and thinking how unreal this was, that they even thought I had bugs! I was 14 what can I say....

The kids that picked were strength. What is that?
am the metal pig.

Offline WTF2

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 10:21:51 AM »
Strenght you know Cordinator's and higher up like that.... Kids that were trusted.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
THE Q&A
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 10:28:25 AM »
In Straight, they'd describe certain "oldcomers" as being 'strong', which pretty much equates to being a program-pushing hard-ass.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 10:53:55 AM »
Higher stages of Dependable Group Member or Responsible Group Member at Three Turds.
am the metal pig.

Offline WTF2

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 06:46:12 PM »
IS IT OVER ALREADY?

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 09:37:27 PM »
I'm waiting on you guys.

But while we are waiting could you tell me about the ring?

What was all that about?
am the metal pig.

Offline WTF2

• View Profile
Elan Q/A
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 05:43:29 PM »
The ring. Well it was to be used on people who were bullies to others, you know like an eye for an eye type of deal.
But  like everything else back then it too got out of hand. I can remember some wild ones, while I myself never went in I can remember one res. R.M. that guy was used for the ring all the time.
They would always put the bigger ones in to defeat the weak and yes they did wear gloves.
Yeah there was blood and  broken nose's problly was it insane I think so, what was really the scary thing about it is how the house would be the ring we would all from a circle so that the two inside could not break free.