Author Topic: GAO Hearings and Congress  (Read 7500 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
GAO Hearings and Congress
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
Cool, I just figured that out. I stand corrected and thanks for the clarification.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Karass

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 02:25:59 PM »
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""
I just called this number.

Did anyone answer? I just did a quick google of 202-512-3674 and the first hit is to www.gao.gov. It lists that number as belonging to someone named Kay E. Brown. The second hit is also to www.gao.gov and it says Ms. Brown is Assistant Director, Education, Workforce, and Income Security. The document in the second hit starts with 'Lessons Learned for Protecting and Educating Children after the Gulf Coast Hurricanes' and talks about finding kids displaced by the storm, kids that ended up in foster homes, rebuilding damaged schools, etc.

The phone number and the person seem to be quite real, and involved in some way with education.

Suspicion is good, but verification is better.
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 04:29:21 PM »
Yup, yup and thanks for that. That's the difference between honest doubt and mud slinging. And thanks, Frod n Gook for the praise.

Just trying to figure out what the role of GAO might be here. As I understand their role, it's all about auditing Federal spending on a cost/benefit basis. Couple of years ago they came back with a most unwelcome (to the drug warriors) report on drug war spending. I wonder if their standing is on Faith Based and Community Initiatives spending. And, in this overly long political season, I would like to take this opportunity to point out that that was a Clinton program taken over and renamed by the B

Offline *

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 05:20:48 PM »
Quote from: "Scarlett Chiclet"
Yup, yup and thanks for that. That's the difference between honest doubt and mud slinging. And thanks, Frod n Gook for the praise.

Just trying to figure out what the role of GAO might be here. As I understand their role, it's all about auditing Federal spending on a cost/benefit basis. Couple of years ago they came back with a most unwelcome (to the drug warriors) report on drug war spending. I wonder if their standing is on Faith Based and Community Initiatives spending. And, in this overly long political season, I would like to take this opportunity to point out that that was a Clinton program taken over and renamed by the B
eople, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.  As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others. -Audrey Hepburn

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Sen. George Miller
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2007, 07:04:57 PM »
This is old, but it's worth posting again.  Hope it hasn't been re-posted recently, we've been celebrating my step daughter's 18th birthday.  It's sad to see her grown up, but we're glad her bio-dad (AKA Boozo the Unstable Clown) loses his ability to inflict his demented will on her.

Sen. Miller, if you run for President I'll make sure you win, rigged vote count/Dubya style, if need be.  Time to oust the CEO's of the military-industrial complex and get a man with integrity in the Oval Office.

There's a lot of in-fighting these days, and now is not the time.  Angela at HEAL is committed to wiping out abusive bullshit programs and she's been great to correspond with.  Kat's a survivor who wouldn't associate with industry reformers.  A START has changed since it's inception from seeking reform of the industry to wanting it shut-down.  My step daughter's plight at PV changed their views considerably - A START never concerned themselves with licensed facilities until they came upon the devil's rectum, Peninsula Village.  One of A START's principals, a psychiatrist with a big heart, wrote an e-mail to me saying "K___, when I think of PV, I envision George Wallace's Alabama and the National Guard having to march in.  If that's what it'll take at PV, so be it,"  A START has changed, the early idealism has been replaced by a no bullshit stance.  Ask NATSAP, they found out.  Too many deaths and no action have galvanized us all.

Ginger is the heart of all of this.  No one else could keep a free-wheeling forum like Fornits running and still have it be the best source of program info available.  Whether they admit it or not, the aforementioned advocates DO read Fornits.  Some can't post for professional reasons, but they know where to find the pulse of what's going on with the industry.

Kevin August?  I reserve judgment...  

Shit, it's like Life of Brian...I don't care if it's the Judean People's Front, the People's Front of Judea, or the Front of Judea's People, I've worked with all of you (except Kevin) and you're all great and working toward the same end.  I believe in God and the devil, and I'll work either end to get the right thing done.

Damn, why do I feel like Rodney King?  

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/ed ... 22105.html

Concerned About Allegations of Child Abuse, Representative Miller Requests GAO Investigation Into ‘Boot Camps’    

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

WASHINGTON, DC -- Representative George Miller (D-CA) today asked the General Accountability Office to conduct a comprehensive investigation of residential treatment programs for children – commonly called “boot camps” – in light of repeated allegations of child abuse and fraud at these programs in the United States and abroad.

Very little is currently known about the programs, which have sprung up all over the country since the early 1990’s and which Miller estimates now serve thousands of American children. Miller said today that Congress needs more information about these programs so it can monitor and regulate them effectively.

“Across the country and abroad, treatment facilities that in many cases appear to be unregulated, unlicensed, and unaccredited are enrolling thousands of American children. In countless cases, children have reported acts of physical and emotional abuse by staff members at these facilities,” said Miller, the senior Democrat on the House Education and the Workforce Committee. “Yet Congress has nothing more than alarming anecdotal information about the true extent of this problem.

“There is no issue more serious than the health and safety of our children. Congress needs this information so it can act to keep children safe.”

In 2003, newspapers reported allegations of abuse at residential treatment programs operated by the Utah-based World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools (WWASPS), which now has facilities in the United States and Jamaica. Between 1996 and 2004, state, local, and international authorities shut down at least eight facilities operated by or affiliated with WWASPS, according to press reports.

In November 2003, Miller asked then-U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft to investigate WWASPS for allegations of “child abuse, human rights violations, fraudulent and deceptive advertising, fraud and unjust enrichment under the Internal Revenue Code, and violations of other Federal civil or criminal laws.” Despite repeated requests from Miller for an investigation, the Justice Department never launched one.

In April 2005, Miller introduced legislation, H.R. 1738, intended to prevent child abuse at residential treatment facilities in the U.S. and abroad.

In August 2005, the Child Welfare League of America called for a GAO review of residential treatment programs.

The full text of Miller’s letter to the GAO is below.

December 21, 2005

Mr. David M. Walker, Comptroller General
Government Accountability Office
441 G Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20548

Dear Mr. Walker:

In my capacity as the Senior Democratic Member on the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, I am requesting a study by the GAO of residential treatment programs and the companies that own and operate them. This study is urgently needed because of allegations of child abuse, human rights violations, fraud, and other violations of law by companies that operate these facilities.

Since the early 1990’s, hundreds of these programs – sometime referred to as behavior modification facilities or boot camps – are believed to have been established by U.S. companies both within the U.S. and abroad. Thousands of American children are enrolled in these programs. The true size of the industry is not known; in 2004, the Chicago Tribune reported that “a trade association and other experts say the schools are a $1 billion to $1.2 billion industry that serves 10,000 to 14,000 school-age children.”

While there may be programs that provide high-quality services to help troubled adolescents get back on track, the long history of allegations against many residential treatment programs demands that Congress become more informed about the industry in order to prepare legislation to better regulate it.

For example, the World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools, or WWASPS, operates several behavior modification facilities in the United States and abroad. State, local, and international authorities closed at least eight WWASPS facilities between 1996 and 2004 for running afoul of the law. In 2004, Mexican authorities shut down a WWASPS facility in Ensenada, Mexico, called Casa by the Sea, for violations of immigration statutes, the improper distribution of pharmaceuticals, and indications of child abuse, according to The New York Times.

More recently, in May 2005, police in New York State were dispatched to the Academy at Ivy Ridge because of a riot during which 11 children fled the campus. In August, Ivy Ridge agreed to pay $1.65 million in refunds and fines because it had issued 113 diplomas even though it was not licensed or accredited to do so. John Sullivan, an assistant New York Attorney General, told Knight-Ridder that the case was “one of the largest educational fraud cases in New York state history.”

In order to help Congress get a full understanding of potential problems with residential treatment programs, I ask that you answer the following questions:

Overview of industry

* How many of these residential treatment companies and facilities exist in the United States? (These may also be referred to as behavior modification facilities or “therapeutic” or “specialty” boarding schools.) Which companies have the largest market share in the industry? How many facilities, operated by or affiliated with U.S. companies, exist outside of the United States? How many American children do these facilities serve? Please provide data about the demographic and economic backgrounds of these children.
    * What forms of financing or financial support (i.e., loans, grants, scholarships, health insurance) are available to students and parents to pay for tuition, room and board at these residential treatment facilities? What role do foundations or other third parties, such as the C.S. Landre Foundation, play in providing funds for children to attend residential treatment facilities?

State regulations and industry standards

* Which states already have licensing or accreditation requirements for residential treatment facilities for children? Which states maintain safety, mental health, or educational standards for these programs? What are those standards, and how effective are they?
    * What existing Federal laws, if any, help states in their efforts to monitor residential treatment facilities?
    * What industry standards, if any, exist among residential treatment programs? Are there any trade organizations that represent the industry? What industry referral sources exist to help parents identify and select programs?

Allegations of fraud

* How many residential treatment programs are authorized and accredited to provide educational services and award diplomas? What evidence exists of residential treatment programs misleading and defrauding clients about their educational services and ability to award diplomas?

How do these programs and companies represent themselves to potential clients? For example, what advertising and marketing techniques do these companies and programs use to attract clients?

Allegations of abuse

* Please conduct a thorough review of allegations of human rights violations, child abuse, child sexual abuse, and other allegations of mistreatment of children. What evidence of physical or emotional abuse of children by employees of residential treatment programs exists? Which programs have been shut down based on findings of abuse or mistreatment of children?

Special tax treatment

* What special tax treatment, if any, do these residential treatment facilities receive?
    * Do any of these residential treatment programs qualify as an institution such that the costs of tuition, meals, lodging and transportation are deductible medical expenses under the Internal Revenue Code?
    * Do tuition and/or fees paid to residential treatment programs for some types of services constitute special education expenses and therefore qualify as deductible medical expenses under Internal Revenue Code laws and regulations?

Justice Department authority to conduct investigations

* What authority does the U.S. Justice Department have to conduct civil and criminal investigations of residential treatment programs?

If you have any questions about this request, please call Cheryl Johnson on my staff at (202) 225-5700. Thank you in advance for your prompt consideration of this request.

Sincerely,

GEORGE MILLER
Senior Democratic Member
Committee on Education & the Workforce
[/i]
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2007, 08:08:37 PM »
Zen there has been infighting between advocates since the day I found fornits. There was infighting going on before then. Same old same old and nothing new.

Has Astart changed their flyer/handout, or does it still give tips on how to find a "safe" program?
am the metal pig.

Offline Karass

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2007, 08:24:39 PM »
Zen, congrats to your step-daughter on her 18th. Thanks to you, she has no need for an Exit Plan. Keep giving 'em hell.
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2007, 08:55:31 PM »
Are the hearings happening still?

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2007, 12:59:20 AM »
Quote from: ""TS Waygookin""
Zen there has been infighting between advocates since the day I found fornits. There was infighting going on before then. Same old same old and nothing new.

Time for a summit, and Izzy ain't invited.  I've heard she wasn't always a bottom-feeder, is that true?  Doesn't change the present, though:  she's a Scheff tool.

This sniping is like the Maoists killing each other over who was the real Red and who was the bourgeois poser.  They were all godless Communists.

Quit fighting, this is not a good time. Shit, it's not like everyone has conflicting ideologies, it's cut and dry:  Shut the shitholes down.  Can everyone agree on that?  Bitch at each other later, because the programees and NATSAP are going to present one hell of a unified front when they get a chance to spew and whine.  

Quote from: ""TS Waygookin""
Has Astart changed their flyer/handout, or does it still give tips on how to find a "safe" program?

No more tips, just warning signs of abusive programs.  Maia Szalavitz's book made a big impression on them.  An A START member gave a copy of Maia's book to my step daughter a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently A START couldn't find a "safe" program as a model.

Quote from: ""GabbaGabba""
Zen, congrats to your step-daughter on her 18th. Thanks to you, she has no need for an Exit Plan. Keep giving 'em hell.

Thanks!  I think she was disappointed when nothing "magic" happened at 12:00 a.m. last night.  She also smirked at my bitter old man observation that turning 18 means you pay taxes, get to vote   :rofl:, and you go to jail instead of detention hall.

But I'm really glad the fear of another not-exactly-legal parental  abduction is gone. Our girl spent almost a year in hell while we worked to undo what that guy did in a few minutes with a bogus affidavit.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2007, 01:28:02 AM »
Good for AStart. I'm glad to hear they have rejected their middle ground thinking as invalid.
am the metal pig.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2007, 08:39:47 AM »
Congrats on the 18th birthday!!
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Re: Sen. George Miller
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2007, 09:14:13 AM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""
Ginger is the heart of all of this. No one else could keep a free-wheeling forum like Fornits running and still have it be the best source of program info available. Whether they admit it or not, the aforementioned advocates DO read Fornits. Some can't post for professional reasons, but they know where to find the pulse of what's going on with the industry.

Holy crap! She said that? I'm truly honored. I once thought of doing to A-START what I did to PURE. Just never had the time to stay involved enough to see it through so never started. Probably would have come out a whole lot differently.

Rock on, rock on!

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Sen. George Miller
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2007, 09:27:51 AM »
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""
Ginger is the heart of all of this. No one else could keep a free-wheeling forum like Fornits running and still have it be the best source of program info available. Whether they admit it or not, the aforementioned advocates DO read Fornits. Some can't post for professional reasons, but they know where to find the pulse of what's going on with the industry.

Holy crap! She said that? I'm truly honored. I once thought of doing to A-START what I did to PURE. Just never had the time to stay involved enough to see it through so never started. Probably would have come out a whole lot differently.

Rock on, rock on!

Oh... That and more.  At the Over The GW Premiere, Maia recommended Fornits! (which was followed by a "whoo-hoo" from ... several people in the audience ;) )
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)