Author Topic: US Urges Scientists to Block Sunlight:We Are Sooooo Screwed  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
US Urges Scientists to Block Sunlight:We Are Sooooo Screwed
« on: January 31, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »
Truth is stranger than fiction......

The Sydney Morning Herald [Australia]
29 January 2007
US Urges Scientists to Block Out Sun
By David Adam and Liz Minchin

The US wants the world's scientists to develop technology to block sunlight as a last-ditch way to halt global warming.

It says research into techniques such as giant mirrors in space or reflective dust pumped into the atmosphere would be "important insurance" against rising emissions, and has lobbied for such a strategy to be recommended by a UN report on climate change, the first part of which is due out on Friday.

The US has also attempted to steer the UN report, prepared by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), away from conclusions that would support a new worldwide climate treaty based on binding targets to reduce emissions. It has demanded a draft of the report be changed to emphasise the benefits of voluntary agreements and to include criticisms of the Kyoto Protocol, which the US opposes.

The final report, written by experts from across the world, will underpin international negotiations to devise an emissions treaty to succeed Kyoto, the first phase of which expires in 2012. World governments were given a draft of the report last year and invited to comment.

The US response says the idea of interfering with sunlight should be included in the summary for policymakers, the prominent chapter at the front of each panel report. It says: "Modifying solar radiance may be an important strategy if mitigation of emissions fails. Doing the R&D to estimate the consequences of applying such a strategy is important insurance that should be taken out. This is a very important possibility that should be considered."

Scientists have previously estimated that reflecting less than 1 percent of sunlight back into space could compensate for the warming generated by all greenhouse gases emitted since the industrial revolution. Possible techniques include putting a giant screen into orbit, thousands of tiny, shiny balloons, or microscopic sulfate droplets pumped into the high atmosphere to mimic the cooling effects of a volcanic eruption. The IPCC draft said such ideas were "speculative, uncosted and with potential unknown side-effects."

The US submission complains the draft report is "Kyoto-centric" and it wants to include the work of economists who have reported "the degree to which the Kyoto framework is found wanting."

It also complains that overall "the report tends to overstate or focus on the negative effects of climate change." It also wants more emphasis on responsibilities of the developing world.

But Professor Stephen Schneider, a climate consultant to the US government for more than 30 years and a key figure in the panel process for more than a decade, says the world is "playing Russian roulette" with its future by responding too slowly to climate change.

The panel's draft report shows projections for average global temperature rise from 1990 to 2100 will expand slightly, with a new range of one to 6.3 degrees. The 2001 report's range was 1.4 to 5.8 degrees.

Professor Schneider said he was concerned the increase was more likely to be three degrees or higher, with a 10 percent chance of a six-degree rise by the end of the century.

"Hell, we buy fire insurance based on a 1 percent chance," he said. "If we're going to be risk averse ... we cannot dismiss the possibility of potentially catastrophic outliers and that includes Greenland and West Antarctica [ice sheets breaking up], massive species extinctions, intensified hurricanes and all those things. "There's at least a 10 percent chance of that. And that to me for a society is too high a risk ... My value judgment when you're talking about planetary life support systems is that 10 percent, my God, that's Russian roulette with a Luger."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Dr Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:24:57 PM »
Theres also a chance we will get hit by a meteor tomorrow and Earth will go back to reset mode and everything alive today will not exist tomorrow. I get tired of the doomsday scenarios being spoon fed to the public on a daily basis. Many Christians believe in the end times prophecy. I guess the new age liberal crowd got bored and wanted their own doomsday scenario, so they can go around scaring people into donating money to their secular humanistic causes like saving the earth and whales. The earth spent the last 100,000 years trying its best to exterminate man. Now we live two or three generations outside the immediate danger of death from wilderness, and now suddenly we are worshiping it.. lol. I bet if you went back in time and brought someone from middle aged europe, they would say all live better than the king. The fact eco fascists, peta, islamic fascists, christian fundies, vegans, israeli settlers, suicide bombers and all these crazy motherfuckers exist shows success as a species is definitely a relative thing. You conquer your greatest enemy, nature, and then a group of your own people want to destroy everything that has been built based on some peudo religious feelings they have. I think disney movies and cartoons and captain planet have a lot to do with this. And the fact that is the sole interaction human beings have with their world around them. They havent experienced an earth who wants nothing more to kill them, and torture them. They know an earth we dominate. And now they want to give that up... I dont get it??? Your ancestors would cry !
It\'s time to get real!?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 09:42:33 PM »
Well, I think we're starting to see the down side of all this progress and success. Now, I don't know if or how much human activity contributes to global warming. When you consider that just one halfway decent volcanic eruption tosses more heavy metals and greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than all the cars ever driven since the Model T, it's sort of hard to buy that it's all the fault of industry.

Regardless, it's happening. Whether it's within our ability to reverse it or protect ourselves from it or not is beside the point when you consider how little influence bland old facts and reality have on our policy makers.

I've often wondered if chemtrails are an attempt to block solar radiation. If so, what sort of reflective dust are they using and what happens to it (or what effect does it have) when it drops? It certainly wouldn't be out of line w/ historic experience for the lunatic bastards in charge of things to over react, causing all kinds of trouble for everyone over nothing. Wittness Boston
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline spirithelps

• View Profile
Man Induced Global Warming
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 02:07:30 AM »
The chemtrails are a part of the manmade weather control, creating our current droughts and deluges.  The Global Warming scam is designed to take more control, just like 911 was.  They want control of the weather, the water, and the food.

It's easiest for them to take an area's natural tendency and exaggerate it.  IE--take the arid west and make it drier, take the humid east and make it wetter.  The Earth's natural weather is an inter-connected system.  If they make Arizona drier, that moisture has to be released somewhere else.

In the name of drought and saving the environment (this coming from me, the enviro), they can steal water rights (Klamath Falls, Oregon was the first, since then many more) and boot ranchers off lands that they've held for over 100 years.  As they boot the ranchers off and steal their water, they're left bankrupt just like the airline companies after 911 (see my other recent posts under this forum topic).

Pretty soon, we're gonna see food shortages.  It's not doomsday talk, it's reality.  Get a grip and get control for yourself and your family by planning ahead.  

Buy things with real value 'cause the US dollar is nearly worthless (pennies are now worth 5-7 cents and may be pulled from currency due to the REAL VALUE of copper, they just passed a law making it illegal to melt down pennies).  Food, gold, silver, cigarettes, alcohol, toilet paper, sleeping bags, tents.  Buy things you'll need first, then things that others will need for trading purposes to get what you forgot or run out of.

Geez, even Homeland Security is telling us to not count on them for 2-4 weeks.  Ask the Hurricane Katrina victims how much help they've seen yet.

It doesn't help to stick your head in the sand.  The problem won't go away by ignoring it, but you can be prepared and ready for it!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 11:43:08 PM »
Dr. Phil, you are an arrogant, pompous, blind idiot. It is obvious, to anyone with an iota of sense, that humans are INCAPABLE of "dominating" Nature.  In most cases, human beings cannot "dominate" their own character flaws   Your comments reflect the foolish and gluttonous attitudes of industrialized nations.  The very suggestion that we are not major contributors to global warming, or that global climate change is not a reality, is ludicrous.  I must admit, however, that I am just a bit happy to find that fools like you still remain.  When civilization crumbles, dependent leeches, such as yourself, will be a breeze to dominate and eradicate.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 01:21:11 PM »
Quote from: ""Dr Phil""
I think disney movies and cartoons and captain planet have a lot to do with this. And the fact that is the sole interaction human beings have with their world around them. They havent experienced an earth who wants nothing more to kill them, and torture them. They know an earth we dominate. And now they want to give that up... I dont get it??? Your ancestors would cry !

Well, this is how we monkeys keep the other monkeys in check. Whatever the agenda or purpose that drives it, you can count on a contingent of other monkeys to try and poke holes in it. That ensures some bit of constraint and moderation.

I agree with you about the Disney propaganda, though. Even as a kid Disney World freaked me out a little. I part ways with you, though, on the idea that all of human kind has been fearful and at war with nature for all of our existence. There's just too much good art and sign of artful living by people who have had a pretty comfortable bargain w/ the old lady down through the ages. Remember that the victors get to write the history. Truth is, at the time when Europeans first started turning up as castaways on our shores, the local people's bows were more efficient and more accurate than the "fire sticks" these hapless refugees had to offer.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 02:35:09 AM »
I just thought I'd mention Mars and Neptune have been found to be warming up c/o the sun.

So, at least we're going for the right culprit here  :rofl:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 08:04:24 PM »
the earth has not spent the last 1000000 years trying to destroy humankind. if that was true we would not be here right now, nor would any other species. life and survival is not a competition, something which both darwinists and creationists miss, and it is a very, very crucial point. life is about COOPERATION. the survival of our species depends on our ability to cooperate with nature, not destroy it. Survival of the human race has long been about cooperation. It's about human's cooperation with say, corn to make food, or horses for transport, or medicinal plants for medicine. the reason we are where we are today is because we have learned to cooperate with each other and with other species, we learned to utilize seeds, grow crops, raise animals, and even use the planet's natural resources for our own benifit, just as any other species does. somewhere along the line humans lost their humility and declared themselves gods of this planet. we belive we can change things so that only we, and only what we like and what is comfortable will be allowed to survive. we tear up the land and build houses upon houses without thinking about what other species were living there before. what makes you think that humans are so superior that we have the right to be judge, jury and executioner of ever other species? we tear up our land, but when the land is no longer able to support crops and animals, or rainforests for that matter, the planet is unable to support us. which is why we should learn to preserve and work WITH the ecosystem, not against it. we have to raise our kids differently than we were raised.

wade davis once wrote something which really stuck with me. A boy who grows up beliving a mountain is a mound of inert rock ready to be mined, he will likely grow up to do just that. he wont see anything special in that mountain, other than the money he can make off of it. A boy who grows up beliveing that that mountain countains a spirit, just as any other mountain, and this spirit gives life, then the boy will grow up to respect that mountain, to love it, regardless of how useless it he thinks it is, because he knows there is more to that mountain than he could ever understand; that it is there for a reason.

now, do we need to mine every metaphorical "mountain", or cant we just be satisfied with the gift of life in of itself? maybe we need to look at ourselves, at our beliefs, our way of life, and think, "what got us here? is this really so great, does materialism really make you happy? and where are we headed, if we continue the way we do?" if we dont sit down and look at ourselves now, before we know it every "mountain" will be mined and we will have nothing, no gold, no oil, no food even. all the riches in the world cannot buy the survival of the human race, only cooperation.  

WE ARE HERE BECAUSE OF THE EARTH, NOT DESPITE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!