Author Topic: Aspiro Wilderness Camp in Utah  (Read 11528 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Aspiro Wilderness Camp in Utah
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 10:01:44 AM »
Teenagers die in volutary programs too - no doubt about that. From UK:

Owners fined over waterfall death, BBC. This girl wanted to go, it was a kind of vacation and she died.
Near fatal incident Inquiry after school canoe trip, BBC
'Search delay' over death cadet , BBC - Voluntary program - more about Sea cadets on Wikipedia

But such programs or schools are not to find on Fornits Wiki regardless of the fact that they have been proven to be unsafe. Perhaps that is a mistake and maybe we should have a thread about that.

Aspiro are on the wiki, because they allow teenagers to transported into their program. I don't know whether Aspiro is safe or not. I won't judge on that, but I critizise them for detaining teenagers without conviction from a court of law.

I am a father too. If one of my children got into drugs, I would properly turn to wilderness too, but I would go there myself for as long as it takes. I won't quietly watch my children to limit themselves due to an addiction. I can accept a lot. I disagree with a lot of their viewpoints on religion and choices. But it is not choices what limit their potentials or the possibilities to choice a line of business they are interested in. So they are free to take the consequences of their decisions, I won't stop them.

Should they end up in an addiction or choose a lifepartner who beats them up, I will interfere and remove them from the situation and surround them with the care and love of their parents and extended family. It would properly be in the wilderness somewhere in Sweden, but it wouldn't be a program. We won't starve ourselves and of course our "detainee" shouldn't starve either. You can call it camping or whatever, but it will only last until we can get the right kind of help and the detox period is over.

What I have failed to understand from the very beginning is why there are very few family programs in the market. The kids don't use drugs because they are evil. Often it is something between "curiosity killed the cat." and low self-esteem caused by something from their upbringing. As a parents I have already made 1000 of mistakes which could result in a bad situation years from now and fate have provided 1000 others. But if the situation ever occured I couldn't blame my kids for my mistakes or those little bumps life gives all people. It would be a task for the family to solve it. Soltreks has a family wilderness program, Monarch allows visit at any point of the stay, Aspens have tried but they have returned to their jail-the-teen-only philsofy. (It was not a statement that those program are good, just that they allowed parents to doubt the manipulation claims of the childrens and see things for themselves.)

Why is it so hard for parents to find the surplus to be acitively part of their childrens healing?

Wilderness is dangerous, but also rewarding, if you choose to go voluntary.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline sunsand1960

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 02:14:12 PM »
It appears that Aspiro may be one of the good guys in the "business." My son attended last year and speaks of his time there with fondness. He is doing very well now and attributes much of his turnaround to the "awesome staff," and the amazing high adventure activities the kids participate in. From what I have heard and studied, most wilderness programs don't do "fun" activities such as kayaking, caving, rapelling, mountain biking, etc. Also, as parents we were invited to spend time out on the trail with our son and his group... this was an amazing experience and one we'll never forget. The staff we interacted with were obviously caring, passionate and seemed to be there for the right reasons. If my son, or any of those in his different groups were being mistreated, believe me when I tell you, we would have heard about it! We heard about Aspiro from a business colleague who had their daughter attend and they had a glowing experience as well. I know there are some bad seeds out there, but I caution people to look at each place individually...

Offline sunsand1960

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
Also, we attended a parent workshop halfway through our son's stay. The interaction with staff, students and other parents were all very good. This might be another thing that is different from other programs. Parent involvement seems to be a little more available and even strongly suggested.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 12:01:23 PM »
I agree that Aspiro is one of the good guys.  I sent my daughter there a year ago and she has nothing but positive to say about it.  Besides, Aspiro doesn't put the kids in the program, us parents do.  The anger should be focused on us parents.  I wanted Aspiro to come get my daughter and they refused telling me that it was my responsibility to get her there.    I found Aspiro to be an open book.  We attended a 2 day parent workshop during the middle of her stay which was awesome. We spoke with my daughter several times during her stay on the phone and wrote letters every week back and forth.   I flew back out and went on trail with the girls group which turned out to be the most amazing experience for both of us.  The scenery was incredible, the food was tasty and plentiful, the guides were so full of passion and love and our rock climbing experience was not only fun but very, very insightful about my relationship with my daughter and what she needed from me as a dad. I got to know many of the field guides, therapist and administration and have the up most respect for all of them.  They treated my daughter like she was one of their own.   All parents are invited to attend the workshop and to go on trail anytime they want at Aspiro.  My daughter is too young to work at Aspiro (have to be 21) but she says that someday that is what she wants to do.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 12:52:30 PM »
LOLs. Whether the above material is true or not true, those last three posts:

1.) sound suspiciously similar (same person?),
    2.) do not sound like they were made by a parent, and
    3.) sound more like a program commercial than anything I've read here in a while.

That observation alone makes me wonder just what Aspiro has to hide.

I say: RED FLAG!!  

:D
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 12:02:28 PM »
Why is "Aspiro" under Hidden Lake Academy?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »
Quote from: "guest4"
Why is "Aspiro" under Hidden Lake Academy?

Apparently a number of former HLA staff have migrated there. As of July 2007, the date of the OP of this thread, and according to Guest, the original poster, that included Brian Church, Josh Watson, Kristen Bell, and Brad Carpenter.

I suppose it is reasonable to wonder about what sort of philosophical or financial connection there might be between the two programs, eh? To be fair, I'm not sure that Guest was suggesting any such thing; the wondering is strictly mine.

Here's the OP once more, bold emphasis added:

Quote from: "Guest"
Looks like the HLA staff is slowing moving to Utah to work at Aspiro Wilderness Camp. Look at http://www.aspiro-inc.com Brian Church from Ridgecreek, Josh Watson former admissions guy at HLA, Kristen Bell-Intake staff at HLA and Brad Carpenter-that did testing at HLA all have followed Josh and Brian's lead and got the heck out of HLA and moved on to Utah. I hope that Aspiro is a more positive and honest place for kids. I also hope that they take what they learned about BS at HLA and do right by families this time at HLA. Wonder who will be moving to Utah next? Any guesses on who the next HLA staff member to bite the dust will be?
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 12:30:34 AM »
CAMPS LIKE THIS ARE A FUCKING CULT.

Yeah, to all you hopeless lost parents. Send your kids here if you want to establish a forever scarred relationship with your kids, trust me as much as the face that your kid put on tells you they have changed, it's all bullshit. We just wanted to get the fuck out the whole time. It was daily, non-stop mental and physical torture. Aspiro, and all these other fucking programs can SUCK MY COCK! Wasted 2 months of my life, my spring break, and almost 50,000 dollars of my parents money. For what? To pay a fucking cult that doesn't give a shit about your kids or them changing, just the money they get. It's all lies, hope yall see through it.

If you have resorted to this for raising your kids, your pathetic and you might as well give up.

You have already failed as a parent. Open your fucking eyes.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 05:54:09 PM »
I agree as to the RED FLAG on the "supposed" Aspiro Parent Posts:
Look up the marketing director with Aspiro's recent exchange with the survivor group HEAL:
http://www.heal-online.org/brianchurch.pdf
IDENTICAL LANGUAGE includes :"in it for the right reasons", "fun-something other programs don't do", "out on the trail", etc.
either this is Church, or the program is so dangerously brainwashing that a couple of nights under the Utah stars is enough to have the parents parroting this BS.
How about changing the "history of wilderness therapy" (quite interesting) to its own thread and having REAL PEOPLE who have the REAL DOPE on Aspiro (and the HLA connection) post info.
Thanks.  AND DON'T BELIEVE THE MARKETING HYPE!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 06:09:39 PM »
Oh, I forgot, "open book"--definitely Church or his commissioned "educational consultants".  100% marketing to be sure.  Aspiro turned to high pressure tactics with my family and demanded to know where we were getting negative information online...they asked us if it was FORNITS--so you know they're more likely to be browsing this site than parents whose "troubled teens" have already been miraculously "cured".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 08:20:25 PM »
Quote from: "Eaglet"
Aspiro turned to high pressure tactics with my family and demanded to know where we were getting negative information online...they asked us if it was FORNITS

:rocker: :cheers:

Sounds like this place is costing them business. :tup: