Author Topic: Is there ANY program that is genuinely therapeutic?  (Read 18795 times)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Is there ANY program that is genuinely therapeutic?
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 02:10:39 AM »
Why would experts put a kid with control issues in the same room as a kid with add. What on earth did they think would happen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Act UP

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 09:41:36 AM »
TS W - NO way am I referring any parent or anyone else to this school. I was duped. I felt desperate at the time and compromised on this placement because he could come home, was allowed a phone, was sort of transparent, seems safe, etc. Some things they blatantly lied to us about, other things they just did not say. (You have to know the questions to ask - or you know nothing.)
I would not refer anyone there but give them the hindsight we have on this "program"! ASK questions, ask everything, who is with your child, what is their training, what background checks have been done, how is stealing and fighting dealt with, how often they get therapy and when does it occur, do they honor the 12 month IEP, who are the teachers, what are their creditials for working with this population, do they have the staff resume available for parents to view, who is on the board, are members of the board a parent of a child in attendance, AND who in their right mind would have roomed Ian and Jeremy together, do they feel shame or guilt!  

70 PR - you got it. We all have to do what we fundamentally believe to be the best for our child.
As for whether one really intends on committing suicide or not - unfortunately this does not determine if they succeed or not. Our fear then was he could make a horrible miscalculation or something and achieve it the next time.... 3 strikes.

He isn't any different than most kids. I know there is plenty that I can learn from all of you, that is why I am here.

He does not prefer living at the school by any means! He is accepting the compromise. My fear is what would be if he were home fulltime. I have not found the support and services in our community or near by and this void scares me. I am just buying time.

there are better and cheaper places to live. Even places where he could get real therapy.
This is what I want to know. I really am open to other solutions. I am asking "what is better". I can accept his being home IF there was a meaningful therapeutic program for him to go to. Please tell me names, if you are not allowed to post it, then PM me.... I will do my research but I just need the direction.  When I did start looking for outpatient services either he was too young, they served largely a substance abuse population, or the waiting list was 4 months at a minimum. The latter program was more than a hour by car - which really is not local.

Lighten up a little.

Sigh*  :oops: you're right -

Teen gets jail in death at Summit School

I would love to talk about this ongoing tragedy and what if anything can be done.
This is NOT! an example of their benign negligence. I think often of this case and wonder who defended Ian, and if his mother had the where-with-all and means to sue the school for criminal neglect? I know that this child was the scapegoat. I wonder where he is now, what about his life, and the school's horrible error in judgment. I hate to think he is still sitting in a jail, but he probably is.  

Have we been trolled here? The OP is starting to sound pretty fake...

What does "trolled" and "OP" mean? I think not.... Do you think I am an imposture?

Offline Act UP

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 09:47:55 AM »
Is there a way to tell which "Guest" is writing?

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »
SWAG principle.

Scientific Wild Assed Guess
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2007, 10:10:28 AM »
Quote from: ""Act UP""
Is there a way to tell which "Guest" is writing?

Not in Troubled Teen forum, which is exactly why TSW moved it here.  :rofl:

Offline Act UP

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »
There can be 10 different "guest" writers and there is no way to distinguish who is writing what? I don't mean to disclose identities just to have some identifier to follow one person's thread. Just an idea.

And what does troll mean?

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2007, 10:43:26 AM »
Fishing for a reaction, or trolling for an spaz to raise to your bait.
am the metal pig.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2007, 10:58:10 AM »
A troll poses as something or someone they're not, usually fishing for some reaction...

Almost like a prank call, but on the internet...hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 11:01:25 AM by Guest »

Offline *

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2007, 11:00:42 AM »
"TS W - NO way am I referring any parent or anyone else to this school. I was duped. I felt desperate at the time and compromised on this placement"

Act- Are you still considering Wilderness "Therapy" Camp as another option for  your child?  Have you done any research on the risks and theraputic value of WTC's? Please look up the Lewis and Harvey nightmares with WTC.  

What is keeping you from having your mentally ill son at home?  I see you have a laundry list of issues regarding the school.  What keeps you from removing him and placing him in therapy and working with him at home?  Is he violent?  Are you concerned about others in the home? I am having trouble understanding why he is still in the facility.
eople, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.  As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others. -Audrey Hepburn

Offline Act UP

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2007, 05:30:59 PM »
TS W - why would I be a "troll" or fishing, or making a prank when all I asked was how to know which "guest" is responding and what have they written before. That really was my motivation.

Nilla - We are not considering a wilderness program. One thing I have gotten from this board is the risk out weighs the minuscule potential for therapeutic benefits. We have talked about his attending a 1 or 2 week camp like adventure - rafting, biking, physical activity w/o the "therapy" or therapists.... just kids being kids.  

Yes I do have a laundry list on this place so why is he still there - at the time we made this decision it was too risky to leave him home alone. He is still at this school because he has benefited from the structure they offer. He also has a community where he does interact with others. This has been a good thing.

I have to wonder why the Dept of Ed would pay this school's rate. I believe there are better schools, that happen to cost less but the DoE will not fund it because it is out of state. One school I thought had potential is Chamberlain in Mass? I know nothing about them other than what is on their website. Just for reference, I would like to know if anyone can share info on this place.

Offline blombro

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/blombro
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2007, 05:36:31 PM »
Perhaps I can shed some light on this situation.

It was funny when our poster ACTUp was giving the rundown on the school that her son goes to, because the first school that immediately came to mind was Summit.  Benign neglect might be the best term for the program/school.

One of the board members of Youth ACT/CAFETY is a resident of Summit (she also happens to be a former resident of Ivy Ridge) and one is a former resident of Summit, who was also a resident of several other programs.  My girlfriend also is a recent graduate of Summit so I really know the ins and outs of what goes on there.  It should also be noted that as a social worker I have been to Summit to meet with different social workers there, and I have entered their campus anounced and unanounced.

In a nutshell, Summit is the least restrictive RTC I have ever known or heard of.  It runs somewhere between a cross of high school and fraternity row.  If anything there isn't enough supervision of the kids who go there.  It is probably the model of what a residential program should look like.  However, it is not without it's own problems, but those problems are what you would expect when you put a bunch of kids together who have emotional or behavioral challenges and they live there.

Summit is not a program in the sense that it seems like most of the kids who are there are there voluntarily.  My gf stayed until she was 20.  And many of the rules and restrictions seem to be age appropriate (cell phone usage until 11:00 P.M. for instance).  Is it therapeutic?  Maybe.  At the very least it is a safe place for teenagers to stay through particularly turbulent times in their adolescence.  There is one particular social worker there who my gf had an excellent experience with (she also allowed for the referral to a radical mental health support group).  And at least some of the staff appear to be supportive.

But to address the posters concerns, Summit is a bubble, and without the proper connections being made to the community, problems could occur on discharge easily.  I would strongly advise you not to send him anywhere else but home, and I would also give thanks for the fact that your son did go to Summit and not some other RTC in New York State, because there is not a single one (state paid for like Hawthorne, Madonna Heights, Astor, Children's Village; state run like Tryon or East Lansing; or private like Family Foundation or Ivy Ridge) that I would trust with any of the kids I work with.

Note that this is not an endorsement of Summit, just that they at least have some of the right ideas when it comes to running an RTC.

Offline blombro

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/blombro
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2007, 05:53:05 PM »
May I also ask what area of New York State that you live in?  Because depending on the area, will obviously determine what services you'll be able to find.  Have you tried Waiver, Intensive Case Management, Family-Based Treatment (although given his age, he might have already aged out)

Besides being a youth advocate, I also work as a care coordinator, my specialty is finding services for families so they can prevent residential treatment.  Shoot me an email sometime: [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2007, 06:30:02 PM »
details that might not be anywhere else

Quote from: ""Blombro""
The details

And this, ma'am, is why I said that.

Actually, unscheduled short-distance non-parachute skydiving aside, I'm going to lay off Summit. They appear to be trying their damnedest to not be evil, and they don't appear to have the same control-freak mentality common to things discussed on Fornits.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2007, 07:05:54 PM »
I'm curious.  You say you were duped, and/or misled.  How so?  Was it more or less a case of misleading advertising, or were there flat out lies?  Would you be willing to provide a few examples so I can get an idea of what they were lying about, and perhaps leading to the more important question of : Why?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Act UP

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2007, 07:20:38 PM »
At times I think my son's social worker is good, but I could not swear on it. I have asked for services, information and referrals but she never has anything tangible to offer.
I wish she would make the "referral to a radical mental health support group." Did your gf attend the group while in school? or was it after she left?

Summit is not evil not compared to what many of you have experienced. But there are things they do and don't do that are irresponsible, questionable, and even shameful at times. But they are not evil... bad things just happen to innocent people sometimes.

Back to something brought up before - Ian who is serving prison time (5-15 years) for pushing his roommate out the window - Was the fact that Summit roomed 2 boys who had no right being roomed together evil? or just criminal? What was Summit's accountability in this? Does anyone know if Ian is still in prison?