Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > The Troubled Teen Industry

Pani Issues Report Amid Chaos at Dundee Ranch

(1/9) > >>

Carey:
Dundee is in the news again.

The story can be found at:

http://www.ticotimes.net/daily.htm#story_one

PANI Issues Report Amid Chaos at Dundee Ranch
By Tim Rogers
[email protected]

More than a dozen youths at Dundee Ranch Academy in the Pacific-slope town of Orotina reportedly escaped yesterday, during a visit to the controversial U.S.-run behavior-modification facility by officials from the Judicial Investigative Police (OIJ), and the Ministries of Health, Education, the Child Welfare Agency (PANI) and the Alcohol and Drug Institute.

Police and staff were reportedly still searching for the runaways yesterday afternoon. Dundee Ranch declined comment.

Located on the remote grounds of a former hotel by the same name, Dundee is a year-and-a-half-old program for troubled teens, mostly from the U.S. (TT, Oct. 25, 2002).

Critics of the program argue that the academy's "tough-love" tactics -- including the use of physical restraint and sentencing disobedient teens to solitary confinement -- border on inhumane treatment and make the academy more like a boot camp than a boarding school. Academy owner Narvin Lichfield, however, defends his program as a last resort for teens with serious behavior or drug problems (TT, Jan. 17; March 14).

After four months of investigating, the PANI yesterday issued its long-awaited report on Dundee Ranch, instructing the facility that it has 30 days to implement 15 in the way it operates.

The PANI also filed a criminal complaint against Dundee Ranch with the Prosecutor's Office, requesting a judicial investigation of the academy. If the needed changes are not implemented in a month's time, the academy could be issued a judicial order to close, according to PANI's acting director, Ileana Ballard.

Don't miss Friday's TT print edition for complete story

Antigen:
Yeeee haw!

I hope those kids make it to safe shelter before the police and culties can catch them. If they're serious about the investigation (and it looks asif they are) they'll protect those kids at all costs.

We are a one party country. Half of them call themselves Democrats and the other half call themselves Republicans. All the good ideas come from the Libertarians.
--Hugh Downs
--- End quote ---

Anonymous:
How in the hell could Dundee still even be open??? WWASP's track record should be enough to shut it down.

FaceKhan:
Heh I hope those kids make it to the US consulate or at least to safety inside Mexico somewhere. At least in Mexico a person who is careful and does not want to be found can certainly manage it.

How many kids are at Dundee? Interesting that they got out during the inspection, maybe the cops saw what was going on there and decided to let some of the kids escape.

Carey:
There is more to the story than the fact that the kids have run away.  I have been given more information from an inside source, however I can not repeat it until it has been confirmed.  (I don't want to make a statement that I myself do not have proof of.)

There are approximately 200 hundred kids at the Dundee facility in Costa Rica.

"maybe the cops saw what was going on there and decided to let some of the kids escape."  Facekahn, you could be on to something with that thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version