Author Topic: Important~ Re: the 14 yo. boy's death at Aspen's Youth Care  (Read 42036 times)

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Important~ Re: the 14 yo. boy's death at Aspen's Youth Care
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2007, 11:28:22 AM »
A FUCKING MEN!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2007, 11:45:32 AM »
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""
Quote from: ""Guest""
Dear AnonyMom of Murdered Kid:

Your son died screaming.

Do you understand what a bowel infarction truly is? It is a piece of the intestine dying.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 001151.htm

He didn't die in his sleep. He didn't die quickly. This is not a heart attack. Blood sepsis (the ultimate cause of this sort of death) is not insta-lethal. He had severe systemic shock and fever.

Of course, kids scream in pain in programs all the time. The reason he died there, and not in a hospital, is because his cries of agony were completely ignored. He had severe abdominal pain. Think about it. A piece of his intestine died as the result of God knows what was done to him.

No, he was screaming, in mortal agony. He had to have been screaming, or possibly suffering agony in silence (doubtful- this HURTS LIKE HELL) because he knew very well that no one would listen to him.

No one took him to a hospital.

And now we've got idiots claiming "genetic defect". Priceless!

This may seem harsh, but you're not out of line, guest. I'm sure the program faithful assured this grieving mother that her son died quietly in his sleep.

As we go back and forth like the Holy Roman Crown over reform vs protest, I'm reminded again of another chilling reality. I'm going to take the liberty of telling a little bit about my daughter. I can't reach her right now, but I'm real confident that she'd be alright with this. If not, my bad, I'll have to make it up to her somehow.

My daughter had a bowel infraction. It damned near killed her. I know what it's like. The girl was wild with panic and pain, projectile vomiting and drifting in and out of shock for 7 hours while licensed, trained, qualified medical professionals in the ER flatly refused her diagnostic services.

They did this on the grounds that they had to have a urine sample to rule out pregnancy before they could do a standard x ray. The charge nurse seemed to insinuate that they dismissed my daughter's symptoms as drug effects, maybe a minor overdose or serious withdrawal. She said things like "She's acting rather bizarrely". And she was, of course. She was in intense pain for hours and doped up on the Benzos the er staff had given her. I know what that's like. Many laboring women will try to pack up and go home when the pain gets to its crescendo. My kid was trying to crawl off the foot of the bed; trying to escape the pain, crying, begging and pleading for help.

So convinced were these men and women that they were looking at nothing more then some dumb assed teenager's self inflicted issues and her gullible mother buying her bullshit that, even 2 hours after the catheter they had put into her bladder failed to produce enough urine for a test, I (a layman w/ no medical training) had to point this out to the doctor. When he finally connected the dots, his eyes went wide and he called in the radiology team to to their damned job.

Here's my point, folks. The industry uses as a defense that it exists to fill a market demand. That is factually true, in my humble opinion. But they say that like it's a good thing.

I'm telling you that, going back at least as far as the Nixon Administration, these sadistic lunatics, self deluded and well intended as they may be, have so influenced our society's beliefs and attitudes about young people with their toxic hate and scorn, they have so exaggerated in our collective conscious the relatively low risks of unauthorized drug use that even well trained, licensed, regulated medical professionals damned near let my daughter die screaming, crying, dry heaving, hallucinating and begging for help and mercy because of it.

It is no coincidence that the people who have become multimillionaires on the backs of tortured children and duped parents invest in particular political candidates and political action committees like DFAF. I have long held to the idea that any candidate or organization affiliated with this mindless death and torture industry should be shamed out of public life.

Our society is sick in a lot of ways. Somehow we have to address this before anything will improve. Maybe through art, maybe by various kinds of rebellion, maybe through the electoral and legal process, maybe some other ways.

Go ahead with your talk of regulation and reformation. My bit is real, real simple. Rampant talking out in group. Be rude and uncivilized about it if the situation seems to call for it. Be artful and humorous if that's the spirit that moves you. But please understand that the troubled parent industry is not the core or source of the problem, it's just one of the more rancid, obscene symptoms of our societal ills. And love your children. Hell, give a little boost to any kid you see, even if they're acting immature or awkward at the moment you encounter them.

Right now, something like 60% of school aged children are deemed abnormal by education professionals. Wake the fuck up, folks! That is a ridiculous statement! There's nothing wrong with the kids. If they're angry and anti-social in these numbers, maybe they've got something to be angry about.

That needs to be posted in every single forum.

:nworthy:  :nworthy:  ::cheers::  ::cheers::  :smokin:  ::bandit::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2007, 12:05:14 PM »
Scarlett Chicklett: has any family members ever died from bowel infraction?, just wondering if it was a genetic thingie.
Utah is great for their coverups, and iceing over the truth, they are very smooth.
On the other hand, the parents of the child has not spoken yet.  I would assume they are taking in the facts.  I am not going to make any judgements.  This parent I think will be no dummy, so hold on folks till you see what she has to say, not what  her concerned friend is saying.
Losing your child and being told that it was a medical condition, you have a lot of smoke to fan away, to find the truth.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2007, 12:09:45 PM »
Well, I'm pretty sure Cathy's still reading this, and I think Cathy has the panache to call this woman up (the programmie admitted that this woman and Cathy were talking) and let her know how her son died.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2007, 02:05:22 PM »
Who exactly is this "CONCERNED FRIEND" and why is she speaking for this mother?
This "Concerned Friend" seems more concerned about keeping this mother away from Fornits or anything other forum; than helping her to determine why her son died.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2007, 02:09:12 PM »
Get a second opinion on the findings of the medical examiner.

Remember the first cause of death for Martin Anderson?  Sickle cell anemia?  The silent but deadly genetic disorder?

This boy deserves justice.  Get to the truth first, whatever it may be.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2007, 02:28:49 PM »
I believe concernedfriend posted earlier that they were friends with this parent, which is why she's supporting/defending her.

I don't believe bashing this parent or blaming her is going to help matters.  What she needs to do now is get with the program, start asking more questions, and settle for nothing but the truth, no matter what that takes.  And yes, she's going to get it along the way from everyone, just more of a reason to keep fighting this industry, who are the real culprits, praying on desperate people, in desperate situations, acting like their Gods that can fix anything.

I was reading online this morning, can't remember what site, but, it has to do with these books on children, one in particular, was Greg Bodenhaymer's books, and basically the website was saying "this book, in about 30 minutes, will give you a better behaved kid".   If raising kids were that easy we'd have no need for programs."  Well damn, didn't realize a book could do all that for me, but if it says it will, then shit I am running out tomorrow and getting the book.  It's the same thing with these programs.  Everyone is feeding into those lines of bullshit, making everyone a victim.

Reform isn't going to do it, because they will still be operating the same programs under said reforms, with the same people opening new schools under the new reforms, probably with the same staff too.  As long as no-one is looking, they can do whatever the hell they want to do, regardless of any reform.  

There are laws to protect individuals, as well as children, from any type of abuse, yet these programs are getting away with it left and right.  So the laws aren't stopping anything, and neither will reform.  My case in point regarding reform, just my opinion.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2007, 02:53:12 PM »
Who exactly is this "CONCERNED FRIEND" and why is she speaking for this mother?
This "Concerned Friend" seems more concerned about keeping this mother away from Fornits or anything other forum; than helping her to determine why her son died.

My best guess would be that this person is using the term 'friend' rather loosley. Probably a parent support group member or some such.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2007, 02:57:02 PM »
There are laws to protect individuals, as well as children, from any type of abuse, yet these programs are getting away with it left and right. So the laws aren't stopping anything, and neither will reform. My case in point regarding reform, just my opinion

Agreed.
am the metal pig.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2007, 01:39:57 AM »
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""

Your son died screaming.

Do you understand what a bowel infarction truly is? It is a piece of the intestine dying.

He didn't die in his sleep. He didn't die quickly. This is not a heart attack. Blood sepsis (the ultimate cause of this sort of death) is not insta-lethal. He had severe systemic shock and fever.

Of course, kids scream in pain in programs all the time. The reason he died there, and not in a hospital, is because his cries of agony were completely ignored. He had severe abdominal pain. Think about it. A piece of his intestine died as the result of God knows what was done to him.

No, he was screaming, in mortal agony. He had to have been screaming, or possibly suffering agony in silence (doubtful- this HURTS LIKE HELL) because he knew very well that no one would listen to him.

This may seem harsh, but you're not out of line, guest. I'm sure the program faithful assured this grieving mother that her son died quietly in his sleep.

As we go back and forth like the Holy Roman Crown over reform vs protest, I'm reminded again of another chilling reality. I'm going to take the liberty of telling a little bit about my daughter. I can't reach her right now, but I'm real confident that she'd be alright with this. If not, my bad, I'll have to make it up to her somehow.

My daughter had a bowel infraction. It damned near killed her. I know what it's like. The girl was wild with panic and pain, projectile vomiting and drifting in and out of shock for 7 hours while licensed, trained, qualified medical professionals in the ER flatly refused her diagnostic services.

They did this on the grounds that they had to have a urine sample to rule out pregnancy before they could do a standard x ray. The charge nurse seemed to insinuate that they dismissed my daughter's symptoms as drug effects, maybe a minor overdose or serious withdrawal. She said things like "She's acting rather bizarrely". And she was, of course. She was in intense pain for hours and doped up on the Benzos the er staff had given her. I know what that's like. Many laboring women will try to pack up and go home when the pain gets to its crescendo. My kid was trying to crawl off the foot of the bed; trying to escape the pain, crying, begging and pleading for help.

So convinced were these men and women that they were looking at nothing more then some dumb assed teenager's self inflicted issues and her gullible mother buying her bullshit that, even 2 hours after the catheter they had put into her bladder failed to produce enough urine for a test, I (a layman w/ no medical training) had to point this out to the doctor. When he finally connected the dots, his eyes went wide and he called in the radiology team to to their damned job.

Here's my point, folks. The industry uses as a defense that it exists to fill a market demand. That is factually true, in my humble opinion. But they say that like it's a good thing.

I'm telling you that, going back at least as far as the Nixon Administration, these sadistic lunatics, self deluded and well intended as they may be, have so influenced our society's beliefs and attitudes about young people with their toxic hate and scorn, they have so exaggerated in our collective conscious the relatively low risks of unauthorized drug use that even well trained, licensed, regulated medical professionals damned near let my daughter die screaming, crying, dry heaving, hallucinating and begging for help and mercy because of it.

It is no coincidence that the people who have become multimillionaires on the backs of tortured children and duped parents invest in particular political candidates and political action committees like DFAF. I have long held to the idea that any candidate or organization affiliated with this mindless death and torture industry should be shamed out of public life.

Our society is sick in a lot of ways. Somehow we have to address this before anything will improve. Maybe through art, maybe by various kinds of rebellion, maybe through the electoral and legal process, maybe some other ways.

Go ahead with your talk of regulation and reformation. My bit is real, real simple. Rampant talking out in group. Be rude and uncivilized about it if the situation seems to call for it. Be artful and humorous if that's the spirit that moves you. But please understand that the troubled parent industry is not the core or source of the problem, it's just one of the more rancid, obscene symptoms of our societal ills. And love your children. Hell, give a little boost to any kid you see, even if they're acting immature or awkward at the moment you encounter them.

Right now, something like 60% of school aged children are deemed abnormal by education professionals. Wake the fuck up, folks! That is a ridiculous statement! There's nothing wrong with the kids. If they're angry and anti-social in these numbers, maybe they've got something to be angry about.

Amen,  :nworthy:
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2007, 09:49:07 AM »

Yah, kind of blows that whole "I put my kid into the program to save his life" shit.

I actually woke from a nightmare this morning, thinking I was in a seminar, I woke screaming "don't make me chant that program shit."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
an insiders view
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2007, 02:45:46 AM »
as a past patient of pine ridge/youth care I just wanted to let ou know a little bit of what it is like in the inside of treatment...I was actually the one who started seeking a placement for me outside of my home. though I never would have imaganed that I would be sent to a place like youth care, I thought it would be like a boarding schools on the tv. Since it was my idea to go I excepted the program quiet easily. I really do remember how bad the medical treatment was there. To go on sick bed you had to have a fever of 101, be vomiting or have diharea. Often times kids would vomit and because the staff didn't see them vomit they were forced to stay in the community...same with the dieareah, they had to check your shit to make sure you weren't lying...One time I thought that I had a kidney infection and it took them three days for me to convince them to take me to instacare...you also can't have phone calls if your on sick bed, so you can't inform your parents if your sick....also if your sick for your weekly family therapy you loose that hour to fill your parents in on whats happening...it also seemed like forever between the times that the staff checked on you when you were sick....I really do feel for this bo that died and I doubt that they checked on him as much as they should of. It is sopposed to be that if a kid is not in an alarmed room at night or on sertin percautions that they get checked on every 15 min. I know that when I had percautions I was never checked on that often.
The night staff is only two staff to a house, and a lot of the time the night staff or "graves" as we called them would have to go to other places to get stuff. This ment that there was only one staff at a house at night a lot and with only one staff, they have to stay in the room with the kids on percautions and therefore would have a difficult time checking on a sick kid...there even understaffed durring the day, there supposed to have one staff for every four kids and usually there are about 14 kids to a house so four staff should be there, but there rarely is enough staff...plus a lot of the staff are new so they don't know what the hell is going on and what kid needs to do what at what time....oh and doctors appointments out of the facility were made, but 50% of the time cancelled due to shortage of staff...
ok, I just had to say all that, sorry for all the errors but I have to go to work early tommorow so I am doing this as fast as I can.....

ok...now for the flip side....I can honestly say without a doubt in my heart I would be dead at this time if I did not attend youth care/pine ridge. Every day I thank God for that program and all the wonderful therapists. you could deffenatly tell that there were certin staff that actually cared....the staff that were there for a long time weren't there because of the money (i heard the intro. wadges are about the same as McDonald's) but because they loved the kids and they loved the process of change and they really were good people. Often when something bad happenend prodocaul was being followed correctly. It was just that protocal was way messed up....the people who were taking care of that poor kid when he was sick probably did ask about the er, especially if the kid requested it, but the suppervisor said no, or we will have to wait until morning when we can get extra staff...I had to go to the er a couple of times because of my migraines and if I had to go in the middle of the night (they usually had me wait til morning, and that deffenatly didn't help cuz they hurt so damn bad) they would have to call in the program manager to take me. what YCI/PRA needs to do is raise the staff waidges (I KNOW they have the money!!!!) and things like this wouldn't happen. They need to rewrite protocall of corse and find a better way of determining when a child really needs help...but really the therapy that I recieved there was worth all the crap...well if you have any questions just post them and I will try to resond to them....btw I was NOT there when this insident happenend, i graduated last december, happily with my high school deploma and a bright future ahead....thank you and good night

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2007, 12:32:46 PM »
So... let me get this straight.

You volunteered for this (!!), watched kids get denied medical care to unbelievable extremes, and you're still parroting the line of "they saved my life"?

Jesus fucking Christ, your parents ought to be dragged out into the street and shot, and you need an appointment with... oh fuck, nobody. There's no one in this whole reality capable of solving your problems.

Offline Bunnie

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2007, 01:58:26 AM »
PPH thanks for posting and giving some insite to how the people in Youth Care, have not and probably will not, ensure the medical well being of children in their care.  There is a negligent disregard of human life, It all comes to dollars and cents for the company, with low staff wages and no back up, what a horrible way to run any business.
BTW: you should take legal action against them for your pain and negligence.
This Industry, is run by morons.
 :flame:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dear AnonyMom of Murdered Kid
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2007, 01:25:26 AM »

Your son died screaming.

THANKS SO MUCH for sharing your words of comfort. I am the mom of the boy who died. I am not stupid, I know exactly what a bowel infarction is.  I have been to Utah and talked to the coronor about the autopsy, and met with the detective in charge of the case. My son died several hours after his intestine twisted. There is no evidence that it was caused by an injury, there were no bruises, and I examined my son's body myself, I did not just take someone's word for it.  His intestine twisted from a mechanical malfunction and he hemoraged to death. Yes, it was probably incredibly painful, and he probably screamed to go the ER, but thanks for the nice visual, it really adds to my grieving process. Yes I believe YC was negligent in not having night staff responsible enough to call 911. I am tortured by what his final hours were like, but I am not responsible for the sudden onset of his medical condition, nor is anyone else. Yes, he SHOULD have been in the ER having surgery, not just segregated and checked periodically. I am absolutely horrified that he was not taken to the ER, as was the policy. He might very well have died anyway, but at least he would have had a chance  for a surgical repair. YC has a licensed, and board certified/qualified medical doctor and nurse on staff who should have been called, and would have insisted on calling 911 had they been notified, I know them personally and know this for certain. No I do not believe that they wanted him to die because he was a problematic kid. The police have done a thorough investigation, and based on the information I have, it appears that the caretakers on duty the night my son died thought he was faking, obviously they made a bad choice and should be prosecuted.  I'm not holding my breath, given the previous deaths, but it's out of my control. Bashing me and my supposed lack of parenting skills is not going to change the situation. Most of the people on this site, as far as I can tell, spend way too much time complaining, and very little time doing any real advocacy for change. I had a friend scanning this site and others, trying to get some verifiable and constructive information about previous abuses or medical neglect  at Youth Care, but no one has come forward. Wishing that all of the programs will be closed down is unrealistic. As long as there are teens who do not respond to traditional therapies, teens with mental health issues,  local communities refuse to provide services, and yes,  some bad parenting thrown in, this industy will unfortunately continue to exist. Thanks to the constructive actions of folks like Catharine Sutton and others, the really bad programs do get closed down eventually, and reforms, although minor,  are happening in some states. Unfortunately, it takes a child's death to prompt any changes.  I will use my son's death and do what I can to see that YC is held accountable for this death, and prompt legistation that will force kid's access to medical care, but it's going to take a lot more than inflammatory insults on this site, it's going to take a lot of people working really hard to be heard in the legislature, and force federal and/or state (which I agree is probably a joke)  oversight. Utah is a tough environment in that regard, the Utah department of licensing really should get sued for negligence. How many of you have looked into a class action suit against them? I am doing that.  I am really disgusted with the comments on this site about my son's death and my actions in placing him in a residential program, you people are worse than the media. Yes, I researched the teen programs before I sent my son to Utah, I am not stupid. Yes, I  checked watch lists, I checked for WWASP affiliations. Yes, I checked the credentials of every therapist and clinician on staff. Yes, I agonized over sending him away to school. Yes, he was coming home after 6 months or so, I did not abandon him.  No, he was not going to be "cured".  I went into it with my eyes pretty wide open.  I drove to Utah from California and visited him there, and participated in individual and group therapy, which did exist BTW.  Youth Care has a bona fide therapy program. I interviewed a student who had come home. I met every person on the day staff, and called frequently for updates.  I had almost daily contact with his therapist, had several phone calls weekly with my son, pass time alone with my son in my motel room on weekends, and a weeklong visit home. And even with my best efforts, still my son tragically ended up dead.  As much as you want to blame me and tell me how stupid I was, it's not my fault.  After many years of traditional therapies failed, and local resources were not adequate to keep my son at home, I was fearful for my life and that of my other child; and after felony assault charges and Juvenile Hall did not matter to my son, I was unfortunately forced to remove him from my home. No relatives would take him, no local agencies would provide help, as they were convinced by his false "child abuse" charges that he was abused. In reality, my daughter and I were abused, and I was crazy to keep him at home for as long as I did. It was a no brainer - he was going to kill himself or kill one of us.  I still loved him anyway, and wanted him to live with me, but I would not jeapordize my daughter's life any further. While I miss my beautiful spirited boy every day, and will for the rest of my life, I am not going to be bullied by some idiot into thinking I murdered my son by sending him away. I had a right to personal safety in my own home. Until you have had your child come after you with a pitchfork and repeatedly punch you in the face, you have no idea what you are talking about with your parenting skills bullshit.  And for those of you who think Juvenile Hall is a better option, you need to spend some time there. I have.  It's no picnic. My son would undoubtedly have died there. Utah was unfortunately a better risk. I suspect some of the posters on this site are posers, have no real interest in the topic, and just like to see their own BS in print.