Author Topic: Important~ Re: the 14 yo. boy's death at Aspen's Youth Care  (Read 41969 times)

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
Sat, 30 Jun 2007 07:28:56 -0500
Boy found dead at Draper group home (Provo Daily Herald)
by Home inspector's checklist @ Sat, 30 Jun 2007 07:28:56 -0500

SALT LAKE CITY -- A southern California boy died at a home in Draper, apparently in his sleep. The 14-year-old boy awoke early Thursday complaining of stomach and bowel problems, was placed in a separate room from other kids and found dead the next morning, said Carol Sisco, spokeswoman for Utah Department of Human Services.

Teenage Boy Dies In His Sleep At Utah Group Home (2News Salt Lake City)
A teenage boy died at a group home in Salt Lake City -- about a day after complaining of stomach and bowel problems, officials said.
Original post: Boy found dead at Draper group home (Provo Daily Herald) by Copyright (c) 2004 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. at Yahoo! News Search Results for home inspectors

Blog tag: Home inspector's checklist
Technorati tag: Home inspector's checklist
f anyone finds out the identity of the boy and his family, please let me know and let them know I may be a significant resource for them as the investigation is handled by Utah officials.

I will post more about this but the short story is this:

Aspen Ed. owns Youth Care. CRC Health merged with Aspen Ed. (backed by Bain (mormon) private equity) . So CRC owns Youth Care. By extremely odd coincidence I had had a 20 year acquaintance as a therapist consulting with a psychiatrist on various cases. I admired him very much ~ particularly his intellectual honesty and integrity. He closed his private practice a few years ago (in San Francisco) as a child and adolescent psychiatrist, like so many other doctors who couldn't afford private practice anymore. He said he was going to work for managed care and try to make change in medical standards "from the inside".  Lo and behold, he turns out to be the Medical Director at CRC Health.

He is senior management now with a big salary and stock options. I couldn't have imagined that he was anything other than the person I knew but I also know that people can be influenced and pressured and end up on the wrong side.  This appears to be what happened to Thomas Brady. I had called him this past October as the merger was being finalized and filled him in on all the gory details, particularly about Youth Care/PR because I started out in this murkey world trying to get my son's girlfriend  out of there.

I gave him documents which proved medical negligence among a long list of other sh**.   I told him that for each document I gave him I have more to support my claims.  He dodged, sent me back all the documents I gave him face to face and implied that he would deal with this but on his own terms. I called him last week before I knew of the death and told him that I cannot see anything that makes me believe that he hasn't been corrupted and that he's dodging me.  I have proof that the umbrella company had been specifically informed of gross abuse and negligence and they did not act on it.

I would encourage anyone involved in Aspen program issues to contact CRC Health in Cupertino, California. I would also contact Aspen Execs. I would say that calls and emails to executive management of both would be most useful.

Please contact by private post or at [email protected] and the ceo  of crc: www.crchealth.com

www.youthcare.com
www.aspeneducation.com

and not that I presume this will be of use:

http://www.hsdcfs.utah.gov/newsletter.htm (/Dept. of Human Services in Utah)

and of course there's good old Ken Stettler - I have some interesting email exchanges with him and one of the asst. attorney generals which are pretty damning.

Also, if you blog it would be great if you could blog the news article with any pertinent commentary with the same title as the article.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 01:53:19 PM by Guest »

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Important~ Re: the 14 yo. boy's death at Aspen's Youth Care
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »
Sounds like your friend went over to the darkside.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
am the metal pig.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
Betrayal, yes it hurts...
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 12:50:24 AM »
It was very heart wrenching to know that this man who'd been such a great help to me and so many others and wound up sucked up in the world of greed. I'm retain some hope that he may wake up but I'm not counting on it.

hg

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 07:59:39 PM »
This is a terrible story. :cry:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 10:56:40 PM »
Anybody got an update?  I sure as heck can't find any in the media.

:(

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 11:14:59 PM »
He's still dead. Film at 11.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
They have the money
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 02:59:37 AM »
They have the money to settle out of court, so none are going to hear about it unless court records are studied. It is like the poor boy at Lone Star Expeditions, his case is currently being dealt with in court, but his name is not to find among the other deaths.

It is an insult to these children. It is like denying a soldier a memorial plate if he served his country and died while at it.

Sick! Very sick!

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 04:00:54 AM »
I see the contrast you are making. I'm not trying to nitpick at your analogy, but don't think the soldier's family might have better use for the plate than the deceased soldier him or herself?
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 05:02:34 AM »
No one want to die.

It is a tragedy every time.

But some politicans decide to go to war.

And some parents decide to send their own child away.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 05:41:40 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
No one want to die.

It is a tragedy every time.

But some politicans decide to go to war.

And some parents decide to send their own child away.

And I have to add:

Everyone knows that a job as a soldier involve danger and that some does not come home again.

Also everyone should know by now that sending children off to a program involve that some does not come home again.

The only way a parent can be sure to be with his or her child at the end, is to insist to be there all time, if they are so committed to remove their child from society.

Offline Rude Intrusion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 01:33:54 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Associated Press    
SALT LAKE CITY -- A southern California boy died at a group home in Draper, apparently in his sleep.

The 14-year-old boy awoke early Thursday complaining of stomach and bowel problems, was placed in a separate room from other kids and found dead the next morning, said Carol Sisco, spokeswoman for Utah Department of Human Services.

"We are interviewing everyone involved who was in the unit at the time," Draper police Sgt. Gerald Allred said.

Allred and other police officials were unavailable Friday to comment on whether an autopsy had revealed a cause of death for the boy, who entered the group home in February. His name was not released.

The boy died of a "medical condition," Trina Packard, executive director of the Youth Care & Pine Ridge Academy, said in a statement issued Friday. Packard didn't specify the medical condition or say why she was certain he died of it, and she didn't return a message left by The Associated Press.

"We are extremely saddened" by the boy's death, she said, pledging to cooperate with authorities. "We are providing therapeutic services to the boy's family, as well as counseling services for our own staff and students."

The state division that licenses the group home will inspect the facility after police are finished, Sisco said.

Among things inspectors will look at is whether the group home had adequate staff on duty, she said.

The group home is operated by Cerritos, Calif-based Aspen Education Group, a division of CRC Health Group that runs boarding schools, outdoor education programs, weight-loss camps and "weight-loss residential high schools," according to its Web site.

Corporate officials didn't return telephone and e-mail messages left Friday by the AP.

"It sounds like he woke in the night and was having diarrhea and vomiting," Sisco said. "They took him into a separate room, and within a few minutes he went asleep. They checked on him a couple of times, but he was dead by the morning."

The group home takes troubled children 11 to 17 years old sent voluntarily by their parents, Sisco said.

It does not take any court-assigned children, she said.

"The program notified us (of the death) within 24 hours as they are required to do. We'll be looking at reports from the program, law enforcement, the medical examiner and then going out and checking the program physically to see if there is anything they could have done differently," Sisco said.

On the Net:

www.aspeneducation.com

This story appeared in The Daily Herald on page D2.  

Deseret Morning News, Saturday, June 30, 2007

'Medical condition' blamed for death

Associated Press

A Southern California boy who died at a group home in Draper had a "medical condition," the group home's director said Friday.

The 14-year-old boy awoke early Thursday complaining of stomach and bowel problems, was placed in a separate room from other children and was found dead the next morning, said Carol Sisco, spokeswoman for the Utah Department of Human Services.

"We are interviewing everyone involved who was in the unit at the time," Draper Police Sgt. Gerald Allred said.

Allred and other police officials were unavailable Friday to comment on whether an autopsy had revealed a cause of death for the boy, who entered the group home in February. His name was not released.

The boy died of a "medical condition," Trina Packard, executive director of the Youth Care & Pine Ridge Academy, said in a statement issued Friday. Packard didn't specify the medical condition or say why she was certain he died of it, and she didn't return a message left by The Associated Press.

The group home is operated by Cerritos, Calif.-based Aspen Education Group, a division of CRC Health Group that runs boarding schools, outdoor education programs, weight-loss camps and "weight-loss residential high schools," according to its Web site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2007 Deseret News Publishing Company

Deseret Morning News, Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Youth's death is still under review

DRAPER — The Salt Lake district attorney will be asked to decide what, if any, charges should be filed in connection with the death of a 14-year-old boy at a youth treatment facility in Draper.

The Southern California boy, whose name was not released, was found dead at the Youth Care of Utah on June 28. He had been

suffering from stomach and bowel problems and placed in a room separate from the others. In the morning, he was found dead on his mattress.

Draper Police Sgt. Gerry Allred said Monday an autopsy had been completed, but he did not want to comment on it until all factors were looked at.

"We're looking at it really hard to make sure we're not missing anything," he said.

Allred said the case was suspicious only because a teenager in the care of adults died.

"We want to make sure no negligence was involved," he said.

In a statement released by the Youth Care & Pine Ridge Academy shortly after the death, they declared the boy died of a "medical condition."

© 2007 Deseret News Publishing Company
ashed Brains Shrink

Offline Bunnie

• View Profile
medical condition
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 02:38:12 PM »
What kind  of medical condition?, I would ask Youth Care.
Do they take children who have medical conditions?
If the child was fine when he was enrolled in Youth Care, then what happened and why was he not taken to a Doctor?
If a parent is looking for a program, I would think they would expect the program to see to his medical needs, wouldn't you?
Especailly since they have all the medical information filled out on the forms, so in "my opinion" they failed to ensure this child's health and safety needs were met.
This is just the same old bullshit of putting the blame on the parents or child.
 :roll:
This industry needs to be shut down, until they can employ people who can tell wheather a child is sick or not.
They need to rewrite their handbooks, and stop pulling the faking and manipulation bull.
 :exclaim:

edit: mispelled word.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 10:30:54 PM »

Of course, she didn't "specify". She's not an MD.  :roll:  Wasn't she a bit quick to make such a definitive statement? "It appears he may have died from...." seems the more appropriate response from a program director.
And wasn't it interesting that the article was titled "Medical Condition Blamed for Death".
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Rude Intrusion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 10:47:21 AM »
And wasn't it interesting that the article was titled "Medical Condition Blamed for Death".

Neglect of medical condition would be more accurate. It is deeply disturbing how often kids seem to just lay down and die in these places. I hope "the rest of the story" will come to light, as there is surely a lot more to the story than what has been told so far.
ashed Brains Shrink