Author Topic: Important~ Re: the 14 yo. boy's death at Aspen's Youth Care  (Read 42086 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
definately neglect of medical condition
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 12:15:01 PM »
Quote from: "Rude Intrusion"
And wasn't it interesting that the article was titled "Medical Condition Blamed for Death".

Neglect of medical condition would be more accurate. It is deeply disturbing how often kids seem to just lay down and die in these places. I hope "the rest of the story" will come to light, as there is surely a lot more to the story than what has been told so far.

There IS more to this story, and it will come out that there was blatant medical neglect, and licensing violations. The mom is patiently waiting for the investigations to conclude. The boy's dad died last year.  Mom has not come out with any statement in the press, as she is too overwhelmed with grief right now to bother with the media. This boy had some serious emotional problems, but was NOT sick when he was sent there by his mother. She had a right to have her son return home safely at the end of treatment. These are not "disposable kids" that end up in treatment centers. Most of them have parents who truly love them, and are committed to good parenting, and have literally come to the end of their ropes,  have tried multiple therapy options, have been let down by their mental health communities and juvenile justice systems. In many cases, the safety of the parents and siblings overrides their desire to keep their child at home. No one should judge parents for sending their child away without having walked in their shoes.  Instead, the public should DEMAND that NO MORE KIDS DIE in treatment centers, they are a necessary evil, but the kids' rights are being violated when they are not provided with emergency medical care.
A Freind
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Important~ Re: the 14 yo. boy's death at Aspen's Youth Care
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 03:08:30 PM »
I just learned that the Mother of 'ONE' of the "children" who died needlessly in this lucrative, out-of-control industry, has passed away.  Her name is Candice Takeuchi.  Her daughter DeeDee died in the Vision Quest program.  It was through the Outside Magazine article that Candice learned of my crusade and contacted me.

I received the news of Candice's death from her son yesterday.  He told me that his Mom was never the same after DeeDee died.  But then, I knew this myself because Candice and I not only worked together, but shared our grief with one another.  

Candice was the one who first started the list of children who died in Wilderness Therapy/Boot Camp Programs.  We worked together on this list for years.  Behavior Modification program deaths were later added to the list.  Others have kept the list going and sadly enough this list has grown to an overwhelming number.  

While it appears that Candice died of a heart attack.  Those who knew and cared about her, know that the death of DeeDee left Candice with a broken heart.  The deaths of these "children" leave behind a Mother, Father, Grandmother, Grandfather, Sister, Brother, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, Nephew, Cousins, Friends, Neighbors, Teachers, etc.  

The most recent death is a boy who died while in the so-called care of Aspen Youth Care.  It is my understanding that this boys death was preventable.    

I would like to see the words "PREVENTABLE DEATH" next to the names of the "children" on the Troubled Teen Death List who died of preventable causes.  I believe it would be MANY if not ALL the "children" on this list.

I hope the GAO will look into this and report on their findings.

Sincerely,

Michelle Sutton Memorial Fund, Inc.
Catherine Sutton

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: definately neglect of medical condition
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »
Quote from: "concernedfriend"
Quote from: "Rude Intrusion"
And wasn't it interesting that the article was titled "Medical Condition Blamed for Death".

Instead, the public should DEMAND that NO MORE KIDS DIE in treatment centers, they are a necessary evil, but the kids' rights are being violated when they are not provided with emergency medical care.

Face it: We can "DEMAND" all we want but it will continue to happen until parents either figure out how to parent or have adequate community support and crisis help so they don't give up on themselves as parents and feel compelled to place their kids out of the home.  I hope the Dr. doing the autopsy is not in the employ of ASPEN or any of its businesses.  I would not be surprised if they found out the stomach and bowel problems were due to a swift punch in the gut by a "counselor".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 07:52:19 PM »
I hope the GAO will look into this and report on their findings.

Has this case been brought to their attention?  If not, who can?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: definately neglect of medical condition
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 10:07:35 PM »
The Chief Medical Examiner for the state of Utah performed the autopsy. He was not punched. He became critically ill in the middle of the night, and should have been taken to the ER for medical treatment that could have saved his life. His mother was not even called until after he was found dead. Most of the teen deaths in treatment program result from staff failing to take quick action, there seems to be a mentality that the kids are faking or manipulating. These kids have a right to proper medical treatment, even if it means that sometimes they make a trip to the ER when there is no need. The parents end up paying the bill anyway, so what is the big deal about getting them there?  

Blaming the parents is counterproductive in these situations, where a child needs to be placed for their own and others' safety. Not all counties will step up to the plate and provide needed services,. which was the case with this child, who needed specialized services, but was not eligible for Medi-cal, and insurnace would not cover it. This leaves the parents liable for hundreds of thousands dollars in services.

Face it: We can "DEMAND" all we want but it will continue to happen until parents either figure out how to parent or have adequate community support and crisis help so they don't give up on themselves as parents and feel compelled to place their kids out of the home.  I hope the Dr. doing the autopsy is not in the employ of ASPEN or any of its businesses.  I would not be surprised if they found out the stomach and bowel problems were due to a swift punch in the gut by a "counselor".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 10:27:22 PM »
Why didn't they call the boy's mother to at least inform her that her son was ill?  Is that standard procedure?  I sure as hell hope not.  Did this program violate their own policies and procedures????

:flame:

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 10:39:32 PM »
Depends on the severity of the Illness. I'm sure if they thought it was serious enough to get them off their fat asses to take the kid to the hospital they would have called the mom.
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 10:40:31 PM »
The GAO is aware of the boy who died under the care of Aspen Youth Care.

Can't blame the parents for the death of their child if they weren't given the right to make the "judgement" call as to whether the child needed emergency medical care.

I would have believed Michelle was sick.  I would have given her Seven-Up and crackers to help with her flu like symptoms.  If Michelle's illness persisted, I would have taken her to the doctor.  

How much was Aspen Youth Care receiving "per month" for the care of this young man?  Michelle's program charged $14,000.00 for nine weeks.
What are we paying these people for??

I am growing very tired and weary from the repeated neglect of children in these programs.  

I was wondering if anyone knows if the young man who died while in the care of Aspen Youth Care was on medication?  

I remember a girl who died of heat exhaustion in a program.  It was later learned that this young girl was on medication that prohibited her from being in the sunlight.  This WAS NOT taken into consideration by the program.  She was also allergic to peanut butter and was given peanut butter to eat.

I filled out Micelle's medical information personally.  I don't think it was ever looked at.

Sad............. :(

Catherine

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 10:47:01 PM »
Would it have really helped?

Programmie: "We're just calling to let you know that one of our thugs hit him too hard and-"

Mommie Dearest: "Can you call me back later? I'm on a date." *click*

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 10:57:15 PM »
Still at it Isabelle?  I asking Psy to check your IP, I am sure he'd love to find out this is you.  And you're taking away from a serious issue.  You are about the lowest of low.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 11:21:58 PM »
Psy can't check IPs.
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 11:23:05 PM »
Can you?

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 11:28:54 PM »
In a way yes, but in another way a huge resounding no.

Basically, I strongly suggest you stop being so paranoid.
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 01:01:29 AM »
The sickest thing about this whole matter is that what is happening to these "children" is accepted, rationalized, and minimized, as these "children" are thought of as casualties of war........

What is happening to these "children" is NOT ACCEPTABLE!  It's NOT OK!  What is happening to these "children" should be against the law.

I have been in shock since the death of my daughter.  Shock over the fact that what happened to her was accepted by the state of Utah.  I found there to be a wall between reality and abnormal behavior amongst the people involved in this industry.  

I'm sorry to be on a soap box tonight.  I just don't know how to break down the barrier of ignorance, greed and a dysfunctional thought pattern that governs this industry.

Catherine

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 01:25:14 AM »
Quote from: ""campsafety`""
I just don't know how to break down the barrier of ignorance, greed and a dysfunctional thought pattern that governs this industry.

I'll offer a hint.

You're not fighting people, Cathy. You're not even fighting an idea as such. What you're fighting can be best defined as a gestalt- a social construct that runs between the threads of relationships. It shows up as a subtext, a set of assumptions.

This is impossible and offensive, but postulate- just for a moment- that your daughter's life was worth nothing, but the authorities have to try to pretend it was, and you're a pain in the ass for insisting that it was and not just making more. Given that postulate, does the behavior of Utahns make sense?

(Hey, don't look at me. I'm just an Anonymous. This is the ride you signed up for when you got into this business.)