Author Topic: The Brown Schools  (Read 10356 times)

Offline Maverick1

• View Profile
Re: The Brown Schools
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »
Quote from: "anybara"
I was at The Oaks treatment center 1979 to 1982. I was on the STAC unit for 4 or 5 months, moved to Little Oaks and ended up on Live Oaks. I was heavily drugged while I was the there. I did 3 solitary restrictions while I was there; one for 3 weeks in a security room at the CSO, and two room restrictions 2-3 months each while on Live Oaks. There were a few staff that I got very attached to while I was there, but the experience did me more harm than good. It took years to adjust to being out after I was pulled out. I still struggle with some of the things I was taught there and ways that I was forced to think. To this day, I wonder about the others that were there with me and how they made out in life.

I was there from 1982-1984. Stayed on STAC for over four months (on Room Structure) and then transferred to Spanish Oaks (on Room Structure). Also heavily drugged almost from the moment I set foot on campus. Thorazine in orange juice every night, yummy. I still have trouble with orange juice. I spent so much time on Room Structure I still crave long periods of solitude.

I "worked" in the office with Jeff Wyckoff and remember when he got railroaded. Some administrator named Peggy something. Bad at her job and willing to let the sh*t roll downhill.

While I was there, I only recall one really inappropriate relationship between one of the female staff members and a handsome kid on the middle boys' dorm. He ran away for too many days and was discharged. Turned out he was with that staff member, a young woman named Becca or something.

Also, while I was there, one of our summer school teachers who transferred to staff on that same dorm reported his wife had disappeared. Turned out I heard later that he was convicted of killing and possibly dismembering her. Memories of that time are understandably foggy. It was a nightmare more often than not.

Best friend and roommate on Spanish Oaks: Cassie B. I loved our morning housemother, Mary Miles. I'm sure she's passed away by now. Cassandra, if you ever stumble across this on the Interwebs, my email is [email protected]. There were times when you literally kept me alive and holding on, and I loved you like my own sister. Yeah, I dropped contact. I felt like I wanted to run away from the whole thing. I'm sorry. Also, I've looked for "my staff" (they encouraged you to form a bond with one staff when restricted to your room for 23.5 hours a day) but have had no success. If anyone knows what happened to Clint Neuman, that would be great.

The biggest lesson I learned was to go along to get along. My parents lived in Rhode Island and there was nobody there to advocate for me. I had to do what was necessary to finish their program and get my own life back. It didn't make me any happier, but I can GI a house down to my baseboards in two hours or less! LOL, or I could, if I felt like it. Hour work restrictions sucked.

How many of you found yourself asking your parents if you could have permission to go to your room or to the bathroom when you first got home? I was on a smoking dorm and for the first six months after discharge, I found myself lighting a cig and throwing the lighter in the middle of the floor so the next person could use it, and so it could be in adult sight at all times.

Ugh, those squatty, square brown duplex dorms with the scratched Plexiglass skylights.  

Also, does anyone remember a particularly mind-warping treatment plan for hard-core people who wouldn't bond, called On The Wheel? I was never On The Wheel, but it was bizarre to watch. Weird thing is that most people who were on it actually did break their barriers and take to therapy. I would love to talk to someone who went through The Wheel now, to see if they still believe it had a positive effect in the longterm or if they were just saying that at the time because their minds and wills were completely broken down.

~ST
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Maverick1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 01:26:04 AM »
:feedtrolls:

Offline any way

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »
Quote from: "Enash"
Hey, mav, you fucking pussy, this is GOOSE!  GO SUCK A KKKUNT!!

FucKKKing loser!

:sue:  :sue:  :sue:  :sue:  :sue:  :sue:  :sue:

Survivors always knew you were a lesbian.  Did you talk about your feelings for other women in "group" a lot?   :roflmao:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:49:11 AM by any way »

Offline Goddess of Justice

• View Profile
    • http://teendeathtrips.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 02:55:11 AM »
Quote from: "never"
Quote from: ""singsadsong""
Does anyone have any comments on either the oaks treatment center in austin texas or the san marcos treatment center in san marcos texas. both are still in operation but under new management. I was at both LOCKUP facilities and it was hellishly awful. help a jigga out...

I was also at san marcos treatment center. I was there the same time you were. I hated that place. The thing i hated the most was those score cards.

I agree! I remember they would take points off for the most ridiculous crap imaginable. The worst part was the scores only took effect the next day. If you scored below a certain number, you lost all your privileges for the entire day. If they're going to keep score, make it count for graduation instead. Punishments should never last this long unless it's for something extreme, you should really just move on. I remember staff constantly forcing me to stop what I was doing because I didn't make my score yesterday. BULLSHIT! What pissed me off the most was the structures I remember I wanted to wear a necktie, scarf, or necklace but they said it was strictly forbidden. They just assume your trying to hurt yourself. I saw this one girl have a scarf on and imediatly put her on "self abuse watch" and she wasn't suicidal at all. And I saw students who just walked only 10 feet away from staff just to cool off and was put on "major elopement risk".
For owners of such programs, we celebrate your lives being destroyed. Because you destroyed theirs...

Offline damanamanit

• View Profile
Re: The Brown Schools/Mormons/Cedu
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 04:54:50 AM »
Didn't the Brown Schools purchase Cedu...and if I remember correctly Brown Schools was bought by the mormons... Anyone know for certain?

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 05:32:48 AM »
Beats me.. but I remember something about a school they owned out near Inverness florida.. I think. I interviewed with them, was hired, but later got dropped coz I took too long to get my papers in.

Sounds like I didn't miss much.

It's a damn small world eh?

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 09:44:56 AM »
Che, didn't you work at camp e-how-kee? Or was that your brother?
?©?€~¥@

Offline damanamanit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
Damn small indeed.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 10:30:37 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
Che, didn't you work at camp e-how-kee? Or was that your brother?

Nope, neither of us worked there. I worked near it and did some training there though. Come to think of it my brother  did as well. All Eckerd's training groups, or Catatogas groups, were done at E-ho w-kee. Place shut down not long ago, good riddance, what a shit hole.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »
Quote from: "damanamanit"
Damn small indeed.

I'm still confused by the Brown School angle. Where did they ever come from and how did they get involved with CEDU? Did they buy some of the old CEDU programs or something to that effect?

Offline Goddess of Justice

• View Profile
    • http://teendeathtrips.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
Quote from: "damanamanit"
Damn small indeed.

I'm still confused by the Brown School angle. Where did they ever come from and how did they get involved with CEDU? Did they buy some of the old CEDU programs or something to that effect?
Brown Schools purchased CEDU and adopted the same module of so-called therapy. The main Brown Schools facility is the one in San Marcos it's the oldest and the road that leads up to the place is named after Bert Brown himself. Brown Schools just sold the facilities to Universal Health Services and ran. Texas along with Utah and Montana have some of the weakest regulations on how these places are run.
For owners of such programs, we celebrate your lives being destroyed. Because you destroyed theirs...