Author Topic: Teen boy with flu-like symptoms dies at Draper facility  (Read 6979 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Teen boy with flu-like symptoms dies at Draper facility
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
These incidents are all too often swept aside.

Stay on top of this one!  I have found there is ALWAYS more to what happened to these children in the "so-called" care of these people.

I will be at Girls Camp next week without access to a computer, along with poor cell phone signal.  :(

I spoke with Ken Stettler today.  I asked if he knew the name of the boy who died at the Aspen Youth Care.  He said the investigation is still ongoing and the name has not been released yet.  I was also calling DHS to let it known that we are aware of this boy.  DHS is awaiting the findings of the investigation.  This is always how it seems to go in these cases.  I have to wonder what good it is to be licensed?  It's just a piece of paper.  

I mentioned the heat wave we are experiencing to Ken Stettler and asked about the kids in outdoor programs.

Please stay on top of this story!

I'll be back next week and hope that more is released about the boy and what trully happened to him.

Catherine Sutton
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 11:31:56 PM »
Have fun at camp Catherine. I've got news alerts set and will post anything relevant. Someone with connections is working on this too. Thanks for contacting Stettler. It's possible they won't issue any violations unless the DA files charges, as in the August case.
What good is a license? Not much. It may possibly save a few lives, and eventually provide accurate statistics on the industry, but that's about it.
I wondered if there were any programs near the wildfires that were reported last week.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 03:13:46 AM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
I wondered if there were any programs near the wildfires that were reported last week.

Please tell me that it is part of the licencing that if there is a summer wildfire or bushfire a program has to evacuate the kids. Surely even with all that appears to go on no program in this day and age would be so stupid. Afterall the staff's lives would be at risk as well.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 04:06:03 AM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
Quote from: ""Deborah""

Please tell me that it is part of the licencing that if there is a summer wildfire or bushfire a program has to evacuate the kids. Surely even with all that appears to go on no program in this day and age would be so stupid. Afterall the staff's lives would be at risk as well.

We are talking about Uah here.  These people have to have thier hand held constantly.  Common sense wasnt taught at BYU.  I bet if you called DHS .. you would get rhetoric stating .. there is "not law" about fires and evacuating programs.  The stupidity starts at the top and works its way down.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 11:37:51 PM »
Not sure why this article is just now coming up on google alert, but it's a little different than the others.

Teenager Found Dead in Youth Residential Treatment Facility
June 28th, 2007 @ 12:16pm
Courtney Orton Reporting

A young teen was found dead this morning at a Draper center for troubled youth. Authorities are still trying to figure out what happened.

The 14-year-old was living at Youth Care, a residential treatment facility for youth ages 11 to 17 years old. He was originally from California. His parents, who sent him here, still live there.

Authorities don't know what this young teen died from. He had recently been sick with stomach flu-like symptoms. Police are not ruling anything out.

Sgt. Gerald Allred of the Draper City Police Department says, "We're dealing with a 14-year-old that's in a facility that's specifically designed to deal with youth that have problems and issues, and so we just don't want to leave any stone unturned. There's some indication that he had been sick, and there's some indication that he'd had some other types of physical problems. So it could be anything, but we want to make sure that we look at everything before we make a determination."

A Youth Care counselor found the 14-year-old just after seven this morning. He wasn't staying in his normal room with his roommates; he was staying in another room by himself because he hadn't been feeling well.

Sgt. Allred adds, "At this point we're just going to process the scene, we'll search the areas that the young man's body was found and his room and things like that to see if there's any indication, again, of drug use or any other things that would lead us to believe this is more serious than just a tragic event."

Investigators are talking to other kids, looking for any clues as to what happened. An autopsy is being performed.

Youth Care is preparing a written statement, which we haven't received yet. The Department of Child and Family Services say Youth Care is licensed and in good standing. There have been no problems in recent history.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1409954
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 11:52:42 PM »
Sgt. Gerald Allred of the Draper City Police Department says, "We're dealing with a 14-year-old that's in a facility that's specifically designed to deal with youth that have problems and issues, and so we just don't want to leave any stone unturned. There's some indication that he had been sick, and there's some indication that he'd had some other types of physical problems. So it could be anything, but we want to make sure that we look at everything before we make a determination."

The beginning of the end for draper or the beginning of the official two step tango to dodge the bullet?

Out of town investigators really ought to be brought in for things like this to avoid conflict of interest.
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 02:00:27 AM »
Report Details Youth Center Patient's Death
Doctor Says Teen's Injuries 'Traumatic'
July 9, 2007
By Nancy Amons

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. -- As time passes, more information is being learned about the second death at the Chad Youth Development Center.
Video: Chad Youth Center Death Detailed In Report

The identities of two men who were holding down 17-year-old Omega Leach in the moments before his death were revealed Monday.
Leach died after two staff members at Chad placed him on the floor because he was unruly, according to a Montgomery County report.

The report said that the two men, 31-year-old Milton Gerald Francis and 22-year-old Randall Dale Rae Jr., asked Leach if he was going to stop resisting.
The report said that Leach didn't answer because he was unconscious. Leach was later pronounced dead.

Francis is listed as a former sergeant at Fort Campbell.
Children who've been at Chad have told Channel 4 News that staff members would slam them on the floor or wall with their arms pinned behind their backs.

Edith Ruland took her 10-year-old out of Chad after finding him covered in bruises and personally witnessing staffers pin a child to the lunchroom floor for getting out of the food line.
"I saw one boy, he was yelling, ‘I can't breathe,’” she said.

The Tennessee Department of Health inspected Chad 10 days after Leach's death.
Its report concluded that the staff's restraint techniques resulted in death.

The doctor who treated Leach at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital described Leach's injuries as traumatic.
The doctor said the injuries included internal injuries and swelling to the brain.

The medical examiner's full report isn't finished yet.
Employees at Chad are supposed to be trained for how to properly restrain unruly children.

But Health Department inspectors found that in some cases, there was "no evidence" staffers took the training.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 12:00:24 PM »
Quote from: ""TS Waygookin""

The beginning of the end for draper or the beginning of the official two step tango to dodge the bullet?

Out of town investigators really ought to be brought in for things like this to avoid conflict of interest.

Your right about that, and I can bet you this is more than a child just being ill.  The whole industry believes that kids are manipulators and liers.  Their are so many children who have died because they have this entrenched in the industry to the staff.  Instead of taking the children to the doctor, or having tests done, they have the thought process of "oh he is just manipulating".

I have a dream that no person selling the programs, or having a program, have to take the Fornits Survivor Behavior Modification course before working in this Industry.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 12:11:23 PM »
I can see two scenarios being played out based on personal experience:

1) The staff followed standard procedures and the kid died due to inadequate medical care. By standard procedures I mean the in place policy for dealing with resident illness. For example, at Eckerd's Youth Alternatives, we had a book of Standing Orders. This was a small notebook filled with a doctor's recommendations for different aliments.

-Weak point:
No staff was really trained well enough in the medical field to be making any sort of diagnosis.  

-Strong point:
For minor ailments the kids got treatment quickly from the nearest counselor.

Biggest gaping flaw in logic is what happens with a counselor misdiagnosis? The kid either gets even sicker and has to go to the doctor or dies.

2) The staff viewed the kid as a liar and manipulator. More than likely they either view this as a common trend that runs through the whole population or with this one kid in particular. As they believed the kid was not to be trusted any complaints from the kid were taken sceptically.

-Strong points:
having a hard time finding one.

-Weak point:
The kid died because someone's bs detector was ringing away like an air raid siren. Rather than do their job, which was to see to the medical needs of all their residents, they choose to ignore the kid's needs and he died.
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 12:56:15 PM »
some indication that he'd had some other types of physical problems

What I wonder was the other types of Physical problems, I would imagine, since it is taking so long for any information.  You can ponder on if there is more to it, say physical abuse.  It sure sounds alarms to me.

Right now they are probably feeding the parents with bullshit, like "he just seemed to have the flu."

Like Aaron Bacon, who was ill for so long, and they could not see or would not see that he was dieing, yet the other children in the program could.
http://outside.away.com/outside/magazin ... _jour.html

Googie was right another town, How about Another State, to investigate.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 04:29:49 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »
There's so much ass-covering, and covering up, when any child abuse occurs, of all types, in all places.

It's easier for every authority figure, everywhere, if it "never happened." If it "never happened", nobody has to be arsed to do anything about it.

We're experiencing this here at home. The principal at Katie's public school shook and threatened her, which was the trauma that caused Katie to have to be hospitalized. Katie's now having flashbacks and is terrified of the principal, where she wasn't at all before.

She's the one in a bazillion victims of child abuse who tell at all. I think she only did because we've been emphasizing since she's very small that whenever an adult does something that bothers you and tells you not to tell, that no matter what they say will happen if you do, TELL. We've gone over, consistently, that bad adults are good at convincing children that bad things will happen if they tell, and that even if she believes them, to trust us to believe and protect her, and TELL. So when it, unfortunately, happened---she told. Good for her!!!!!

Kids don't have the damage she clearly has if "nothing happened."

But when both Katie's therapist and the professionals at the hospital filed an abuse report with child welfare authorities, they turned the case over to police, who turned it over to the county school district----who "investigated" without ever once contacting us and whitewashed it as "unsubstantiated."

Yeah. Of course if you don't do the very minimums of looking for evidence in your "investigation", you're not going to find any, are you?

So the lawyer we consulted has us filing an ethics complaint with the state professional responsibility people and the regional accreditation organization---which has, in the past, put a whole county's accreditation on probation for a similar situation involving a single bipolar fifth grader.

Who knows if they'll do it again, but it's worth pursuing. For one thing, the professional ethics people at the state, when you complain it's completely outside the county's hands, they have the power to pull teaching credentials at their own discretion, and they're a bit like the Better Business Bureau. If you call, they will tell you if there have been any past complaints and if any investigations are ongoing.

Difference from the BBB is they won't tell you how any investigation was resolved, AND they NEVER take off the books that a complaint was filed. Someone ten years from now who calls them to ask about her will be told a complaint was filed and they did an investigation. Nothing more, but they will know there have been other complaints and to go looking for other victims who maybe couldn't prove it then, but can help establish a pattern.

Psychopaths almost never get diagnosed first hand, because they almost never go into treatment unless court ordered. They may go into treatment briefly if pressured hard by others and backed into a corner, but they get out of there as soon as possible.

Almost always, psychopaths get diagnosed as what they are by the treatment professionals treating their victims--based on the damages the victim has.

Katie's board certified psychiatrist expressed his opinion that the woman's a psychopath.

Katie's board certified psychologist tells us that the county, as well as other counties, have a history of covering up child abuse by teachers and administrators. He told James and me of several cases where the facts of the abuse were hard cold proved, the various county school boards in our area simply fired the perpetrator---who then went to get a job in some other county.

In one case, a perpetrator who was merely fired from one local county, where he got caught cold in an uncoverupable way, got hired by Cobb County (ours), where he got caught cold in an uncoverupable way again. And merely got fired again.

Our society doesn't protect children, because the people we trust with protecting our children care more about their own convenience and hushing up potential scandals than they care about the kids.

The private prisons for "troubled teens" are just the most egregious, systematic, institutionalized version of a much larger problem.

If our society gave children more enforceable rights, it would set the pattern for increasing societal respect for children's safety.

Women's rights laws, many of which were totally unrelated to spousal abuse of women and victim-blaming for rape, managed to reduce both of those things.

Civil rights laws, many of which were totally unrelated to lynchings, beatings, and the KKK managed to reduce societal tolerance of all three.

This is one of the best arguments for laws making some basic children's rights enforceable at a young age, independent from what their parents want. Rights laws have a strong history of reducing societal tolerance for abuse of the protected folks.

What age? Depends. Any kid knows as young as ten whether she's afraid to leave the country or not. Most stage kids as young as ten could decide to put their earnings in trust in a bank if they found out their parents were robbing them blind. A kid who, at ten asks to go live with a "fit" extended family member, or a "fit" other set of adult parents who don't have a near-age opposite sex kid as a risk for sexual entanglement, and says his parents are abusing him or leaving him in an abusive situation at school, church, other, should be believed for purposes of where he lives whether he can give evidence of the abuse or not. Kids don't ask to leave their parents, or be protected financially from their parents, lightly.

Any kid knows, as young as ten, whether they're being abused badly at school and need to get out of the situation. In that particular case, the system should try to fix the problem at school, then revisit it automatically in a month, physically bringing the kid into court. If the kid is still being mistreated, he should automatically get a transfer to the next closest school. If his parents can't drive him, the school system should pick him up. Most kids who get abused at one school, whose parents pull them out and transfer them to another, don't get abused there.

When a kid gets abused at school, virtually all schools and counties respond that they can't do anything about it--or weasel words that amount to the same thing. Yes, they can. They can give the kid a transfer. When they can't or won't fix the problem with less, they should be required to give that transfer---and the right to demand it should rest with the kid, not his parents. They have a conflict of interest in saying "we can't" when they really mean it's very inconvenient.

If the judge agrees that his parents really can't get him there--can't, instead of just can't be arsed to do it--then the school district should have to get him there.

Whaddya wanna bet many school districts would find that, wow, they really could stop the abuse at the kid's initial school, to the point that the kid is not telling the judge, "They're hurting me, move me." I'd bet that most would suddenly discover they could determine abusers were abusive and let them go--or not hire them in the firs-t place. I'd bet that most would suddenly discover that they could stop bullying after all. What an AMAZING development--suddenly they have all these abilities they just didn't have before.

When the kid tells the judge what's going on, the heavy presumption--for purposes of where the kid lives or goes to school--should be that the kid's is telling the truth. He said she said, even by several others, shouldn't be enough to override that presumption.

If kids had enforceable rights, child abuse would become more unacceptable to society.

The Programs, of course, would shut down overnight. One habeas corpus petition by a friend or family member, or activist organization, one briefing by the judge about his rights, and the kid would be living with other fit adults and transferred back to a real school before you could blink.

Ginger, you want legislation that would completely end the Programs? Don't think there is a possible legislative fix? That would do it. Permanently.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 04:44:19 PM »
That was me.

Julie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 05:05:33 PM »
Julie it is fantastic that your child was listened to, so much in this industry, the places in question, try to convince others that your child is manipulating, and the parents also.