Author Topic: Has anybody been to Daytop lately?  (Read 21187 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Has anybody been to Daytop lately?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2005, 03:31:00 PM »
I have looked over the arguments on this topic and can see where both sides are coming from so I looked a little deeper and sought legal advice because I had heard something in a treatment program once that I know for a fact wasn't reported to any authorities and it wasn't child abuse. To my amazement I was told that it is true that clients in substance abuse programs are protected by federal law's regarding confidentiality and nothing they reveal in a therapy session with a substance abuse counselor with the exception of child abuse can be reported. I showed him the arguments presented in this forum and he showed me the precedents in which all employees of a substance abuse treatment program are bound by the same laws, regardless of their position or their own licensing requirements. Not looking to create more controversy here just stating what I was advised. But the lawyer did tell me that as another client of one of these programs I am not bound by any such laws so I'm right back where I started at. :scared:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »
On 2005-12-20 12:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I have looked over the arguments on this topic and can see where both sides are coming from so I looked a little deeper and sought legal advice because I had heard something in a treatment program once that I know for a fact wasn't reported to any authorities and it wasn't child abuse. To my amazement I was told that it is true that clients in substance abuse programs are protected by federal law's regarding confidentiality and nothing they reveal in a therapy session with a substance abuse counselor with the exception of child abuse can be reported. I showed him the arguments presented in this forum and he showed me the precedents in which all employees of a substance abuse treatment program are bound by the same laws, regardless of their position or their own licensing requirements. Not looking to create more controversy here just stating what I was advised. But the lawyer did tell me that as another client of one of these programs I am not bound by any such laws so I'm right back where I started at. :scared: "

It's different when the client is mandated by the court and is required to waive confidentiality as part of the deal that gets them into treatment.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
daytop works!!!!
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2006, 01:05:10 AM »
Hello fellow daytopians

It is nice to see there is a web site for the successful heads for old daytop.  First of all I was at parksville from 1989 to1991, then I worked with them in far rockaway, to shipped to texas to help at a new facility in palestine tx.  I see there is alot of negative and postive comments about the program.  I must say that back in the day Daytop was probably the toughest tc to be in.  For me it worked. It was not easy and yes I was screamed at, degrade and de humanized but I have been successful.  I was a counselor and worked with senior counselors that thought they new every thing.  Today I continue to be successful, I am a masters level social worker and continue to work and help needy families.  I actually broke away from daytop texas before they closed down.  I need to spead my wings and get from underneath Daytop wings.  Alot of people tend to become so dependant in Daytop after finishing their program then working for them.  It was the hardest thing I every did in my life back then and I have absolutely no regrets

Offline odie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2006, 02:05:52 PM »
Well hello Tricia. I'm glad that you have done so well with your career. I must say it's impressive for a former Daytop Counselor to become "classically educated" and become an MSW. You'd think that by some of the rantings on this board that would be an impossibility.
die