Author Topic: Joe Gauld... on Education  (Read 22889 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Joe Gauld... on Education
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2007, 08:04:57 AM »
Quote from: ""Surfer Mouse""
By operating under the label of “Educator” he conveniently avoids accountability  for his actions in accordance to accepted professional and ethical standards for the American Psychological Association.

Joe's scorn for the American educational system is equalled only by his scorn for the American Psychological Association.

Quote from: ""Surfer Mouse""
We should be thankful that in spite of his megalomaniacal ambitions he only put out a couple of books and a never ending stream of newspaper articles, editorials and such.

We should be thankful that in spite of his megalomaniacal ambitions he never attained a position of power.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I am Sorry
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2007, 08:59:03 AM »
Ursus, I just read all your posts. You are right, I ruined your life and countless others. I am sorry. If  I had been as wise and segacious as you, I would not have damaged and destroyed so many lives, like your now pathetic chat room obsessed existence. I plan to fire sale all Hyde property and beg forgiveness from the fornits community. With out your help I never could have realized this ...Major thanks, and appoligies for my negative influence when you were a minor...Ursus...Sincerely , Joe Gauld

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: I am Sorry
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2007, 09:05:18 AM »
Quote from: ""Joe Gauld""
Ursus, I just read all your posts. You are right, I ruined your life and countless others. I am sorry. If  I had been as wise and segacious as you, I would not have damaged and destroyed so many lives, like your now pathetic chat room obsessed existence. I plan to fire sale all Hyde property and beg forgiveness from the fornits community. With out your help I never could have realized this ...Major thanks, and appoligies for my negative influence when you were a minor...Ursus...Sincerely , Joe Gauld

Joe, your sense of humor belies your assumed identity. But thanks for the chuckle, all the same.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: I am Sorry
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2007, 11:12:47 AM »
Quote from: ""Joe Gauld""

Yeah, well, Joe... I may have been Ursus minor back then, but I'm Ursus major right now.
 :wink:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 05:57:12 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »
Okay... last one from Education Week, unless and when he pops out another treatise later this year...  I've checked a few other education-oriented sites, but this appears to be the only one (at least that I've found thus far) that publishes him.

============================

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2007/ ... 4.h26.html
Education Week
Vol. 26, Issue 22, Page 29
Published: February 7, 2007

LETTER
‘Obsolete’ System Stifles Students’ Self-Discovery

To the Editor:

William Spady’s Jan. 10, 2007, Commentary "The Paradigm Trap" has finally identified the real problem of the American education system: It has been obsolete for over a century, and reforms like those of the No Child Left Behind Act simply reinforce its obsolescence.

Nature has carefully designed how humans develop during their first 19 years of life, but our education system virtually ignores this powerful and comprehensive process. Instead, we have adults designing a system to mold American children into their vision of the future. What incredible arrogance.

Consequently, we are producing many adolescents whose deeper potential is only marginally developed, who have little sense of who they are, their uniqueness, and their deeper purpose in life, and who thus are entering life overly controlled by peer pressure and their lesser instincts.

The early-20th-century Lebanese-American writer Khalil Gibran wisely noted this about children: “Their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.”

Our job as adults is not to design our children’s futures. It is to help them discover who they truly are and their deeper intellectual, emotional, and spiritual potentials. Do this effectively, and, as a teacher who has watched former students tackle life over the past 55 years, I promise you they will prevail over whatever they face in life, and leave the world a better place.

Joseph W. Gauld
Founder of Hyde Schools
President
Hyde Foundation
Bath, Maine

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2007, 06:50:48 PM »
real problem of the American education system: It has been obsolete for over a century

IF my  arithmetic is correct,  that says that the "Greatest Generation" was the product of a failed educational system.  The U.S. went from a minor player in international politics to the largest economy in the world, lead by the product of  failed education.  To quote Jed Clampette, "If that don't beat all."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2007, 06:57:52 PM »
Code: [Select]
Nature has carefully designed how humans develop during their first 19 years of life
[quote]

Oh so, nature is sentient force that designs. O.K.  If nature is so smart why is it that females are coming into reproductive fertility at an earlier age at the same time society is moving the date for first child bearing later in life.  Nature, if it is self aware, seems kind of stupid.[/quote]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2007, 07:08:05 PM »
Lebanese-American writer Khalil Gibran wisely noted this about children

Please no more Gibran.  I can still see Joe up on the stage reading it to us.  I would rather listen to Rod McKuen's mistranslation of Jacques Brel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasons_in_the_Sun

Good bye now Joe, it is time to die

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2007, 07:21:53 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Let's not forget those oft referred to "animal instincts!"
 :rofl:

On rummaging deeper in his published letters, I discover that Joe's offensive comparison of children to animals and insects lasted unchanged until 2001, when the editors purged of its egregious racism? chauvinism? by the simple expedient of dropping the offending metaphor. One can only sympathize with their embarrassment. Is there a word for this attitude of looking down one's nose at children?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2007, 07:30:48 AM »

On rummaging deeper in his published letters, I discover that Joe's offensive comparison of children to animals and insects lasted unchanged until 2001, when the editors purged of its egregious racism? chauvinism? by the simple expedient of dropping the offending metaphor. One can only sympathize with their embarrassment. Is there a word for this attitude of looking down one's nose at children?

Ah, you missed the Isn't Hyde Ever Wrong? speech, which is given a date of 2002 by the Hyde website.  In that one, he referred to kids' animal instincts, as well as the ol' cocoon metaphor.  Geez Louise.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17336&start=14

Oops!  And the cocoon came up again in the article he submitted in the aftermath of the CEDU bankruptcy; that was in 2005.  Think that was on page 5 of this (current) thread...
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=22009&start=48

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2007, 07:49:36 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""

Ah, you missed the Isn't Hyde Ever Wrong? speech, which is given a date of 2002 by the Hyde website.  In that one, he referred to kids' animal instincts, as well as the ol' cocoon metaphor.  Geez Louise.

Oops!  And the cocoon came up again in the article he submitted in the aftermath of the CEDU bankruptcy; that was in 2005.  Think that was on page 5 of this (current) thread...

Adult chauvinism? Gauldism?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2007, 10:14:51 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""

Adult chauvinism? Gauldism?

It is part of the process of de humanization.  I recall  a Gulf War I press briefing, where a general referred to people in a bomb site video as "cockroaches"  I have watched a Nazi film where rats are seen swarming in a grain bin and there is a dissolve to a dark swarthy man who was identified as a Jew.  Is there a word for that process?  There should be.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2007, 10:41:56 AM »
A decade old, this one...
I hardly think, with "Brother's Keeper" thriving and well, that the "honor code" was "ditched" in the 70s.  But... what do I know?!
 :roll:

=======================================

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_19007880
At Hyde school, students earn - rather than learn - character
Insight on the News,  Jan 6, 1997  by Evan Gahr

Character education has become fashionable in schools across the country. But one program has been preaching personal responsibility and virtuous behavior for three decades.

Whether it's the wave of the future or another education fad remains to be seen, but at least one institution isn't likely to ditch the effort anytime soon. Indeed, the Hyde School in Bath, Maine, has made character education its central mission for 30 years.

With rigorous principles emphasized at weekly meetings - where students have been known to confess to misdeeds - the private boarding school claims tremendous success with troubled youngsters. But the Hyde approach, contends school founder Joseph Gauld, contrasts markedly with what currently passes for character education.

"What they call character we don't call character," Gauld tells Insight. "You teach it fundamentally by example. Otherwise, you're [just] indoctrinating kids." Or as scion and current Hyde headmaster Malcolm Gauld declares, "Character is not imparted; it's inspired. You give [kids] values-forming experiences."

That tack wins high marks from former Hyde parents, students and outside observers. "They are considered one of the best," says Amitai Etzioni, author of The Spirit of Community and a leading character-education proponent. "They pay attention to the total environment."

Hyde students aren't force-fed or "taught" during a particular class period. Instead, the school's philosophy informs their days, from sporting events to school assemblies. In the Hyde lexicon, each student possesses "unique potential" and is pushed to achieve it (slackers are known as "smiling zeros").

Students find their potential by developing five key traits - courage, integrity, concern, curiosity and leadership - which are honed within a system of rewards and punishments. When students fall from honesty, for example, their punishment is early-morning exercise.

The school relies heavily on peer pressure to enforce norms of behavior. If one person in the class failed to complete a homework assignment, everyone did additional study hall, recalls Mike Moskowitz, a 1996 Hyde graduate. Nor does Hyde put an "I'm okay, you're okay" gloss on bad behavior. Don MacMillan, a math teacher, describes a recent school meeting during which a student confessed to stealing. "There wasn't a lot of response to him," he says. "You don't get pats on the back for stealing. We put so much emphasis on truth that the kids understand and let the chips fall where they may."

That message virtually is inscribed in stone. "Truth shall set you free but first it will make you miserable" reads the sign outside the Hyde School's main building, and graduates and parents alike describe Hyde's program as emotionally demanding - ironic, since many students have a history of drug problems or low academic achievement. "One of the things you find out quickly is that others are struggling," says Jean Humphrey, who has sent her three kids to Hyde.

True to the "brother's keeper" ethos, students report on classmates using drugs. Moskowitz caught on fast to the fact that Hyde seniors double as disciplinarians. "I quickly learned that they were not going to accept any of my mischievousness and I couldn't pull the wool over their eyes"' he tells Insight. Yet at the same time they were "cool" - athletic and smart - and served as role models. Today, Moskowitz is a student at Sarah Lawrence College, a prestigious liberal-arts school in New York, and plans on a career in international law or fashion merchandising.

Because the school believes character is taught by example, parents as well as students are required to set goals for themselves. The Moskowitzes for example, attended mandatory regional parents' meetings as well as sessions at the school. With encouragement and prodding from other members of her regional group, Susan Moskowitz, Mike's mother, set forth to package her own kosher food snack. "Mrs. Moskowitz' Munchies," a combination of nuts, raisins and matzo, now is available through department stores such as Bloomingdales.

Kosher munchies may seem an unusual by-product of a school devoted to character education, but Hyde has seen many similar stories since it opened its doors in 1966. At the time, Gauld was working as an admission officer - and an increasingly alienated assistant headmaster - at the New Hampton School in New Hampshire. "I had a crisis of conscience when I realized kids were getting screwed everywhere,"he recalls.

In Gauld's view, character was subsumed to academic achievement. Students went through the motions - good grades mean good colleges - but few lived up to their potential. His epiphany came during an admission interview with a student he calls "Marty." The youngster had an average IQ but was failing all his courses. Bucking traditional standards, Gauld accepted Marty, who proved a rambunctious but formidable presence and later went on to a successful career as a psychologist.

Although Gauld stayed within the traditional system for a few more years - accepting the headmastership of the Berwick Academy in Maine - he eventually borrowed money from family and friends toward purchase of the 145-acre Hyde Estate. The school opened the following year. There were some kinks. In the early seventies, the school's honor code was abused and subsequently ditched. But the school regained focus and today boasts a huge waiting list and sees its approach imitated everywhere.

The Halifax Middle School just outside Harrisburg, Pa., for example, began operating last September under Hyde principles. "We need to reach kids at a deeper level and work against youth culture that says do whatever you feel like doing," explains principal Bob Hassinger. "It's more important to be part of culture than to do what is right."

Gauld hopes more schools will follow suit. "We spent the first 30 years developing a concept," he says. "Now we are ready to export it."

COPYRIGHT 1997 News World Communications, Inc.
COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2007, 10:46:21 AM »
It is part of the process of de humanization.  I recall  a Gulf War I press briefing, where a general referred to people in a bomb site video as "cockroaches"  I have watched a Nazi film where rats are seen swarming in a grain bin and there is a dissolve to a dark swarthy man who was identified as a Jew.  Is there a word for that process?  There should be.

Dehumanization preliminary to mass conversion, not mass extermination. An act of love, not an act of hate.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2007, 11:01:54 AM »

Dehumanization preliminary to mass conversion, not mass extermination. An act of love, not an act of hate.

Well, from a business standpoint, it just doesn't make sense to exterminate the little bastards.  That would more or less preclude milking the ol' parental bucket, eh?  And that's what it all boils down, isn't it, when all is said and done!?

Many parents base their judgment of the school on the freshly renovated product returned to them, namely that seemingly squeaky clean and fresh-faced youngster who doesn't mope around and give them lip anymore.  And they sure as hell are willing to pay through the nose for that, especially if a lot of moral bells and whistles come attached to the package.  It makes them feel like they've done right by their kid, they "did the right thing."