Author Topic: Joe Gauld... on Education  (Read 22615 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Joe Gauld... on Education
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 12:39:02 PM »
The educational mafia has never understood that all learning begins with the development of character and a sense of purpose.

The Joe needs to read up on the GodFather of modern education:

The Call for Character Education

Historically, Dewey believed that moral education could not be divorced from the school curriculum. Rather it should be delivered through all of the “agencies, instrumentalities, and materials of school life” (Dewey, 1909).
snipped from

http://www.collegevalues.org/articles.cfm?a=1&id=571
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 02:23:41 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
The educational mafia has never understood that all learning begins with the development of character and a sense of purpose.

The Joe needs to read up on the GodFather of modern education:

The Call for Character Education

Historically, Dewey believed that moral education could not be divorced from the school curriculum. Rather it should be delivered through all of the “agencies, instrumentalities, and materials of school life” (Dewey, 1909).
snipped from

http://www.collegevalues.org/articles.cfm?a=1&id=571

I don't class Joe among Horace Mann, Dewey, and the moral educators. In my opinion, all of Joe's talk of "becoming a better person," "integrity," "character," "leadership," etc. etc., is just Joe paying lip-service to conventional morality. What Joe is trying to do, in my opinion, is make kids competitive, motivated, unafraid of risks, and so forth, qualities which, whether Hyde wants to admit it or not, are instrumental above all to success in the economic marketplace. For Joe, success is a function of intelligence for the gifted few, and of character for the ungifted many. His preference for sports over academics, for attitude over aptitude, for the active life over the contemplative life, can be explained in this connection.      

Whether or not one agrees that competitiveness is a laudable end, one is hard put to agree that brother's keeper, seminars, and all the group-mediated behavior devices used to break down an individual's resistance to Joe's prescribed program, should he not choose to go along with it, are laudable means. This is where the serious damage creeps in. It's damaging not only for the "losers," who are merely training material for the "winners," it's damaging for the "winners," if they have a conscience.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 02:41:20 PM »
I think you have hit on something there.  Joe's system is setup to reward people like Joe: ungifted, quotidian, average but hardworking optimistic and ambitious.  The system is setup to punish the intellectually gifted as you know from your experience.  I bet Joe is filled with sangfroid when ever he thinks of his 14 AP calculus prodigy going off into life as a failure.  I can see him feeling the part Salieri in the shadow of Mozart, filled with envy of the natural ability of a 14 year old master concepts with ease that poor old Joe had to pound into his own head.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 02:42:51 PM »
It's damaging not only for the "losers," who are merely training material for the "winners," it's damaging for the "winners," if they have a conscience.

Could not have said better myself.  One of my rallying cries.  If something is that toxic for one, eventually it'll be toxic for them all.  If they have a conscience.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 02:47:03 PM »
I bet Joe is filled with sangfroid when ever he thinks of his 14 AP calculus prodigy going off into life as a failure.

He sure as hell brings him up enough!  That poor chap has unwittingly become part of the Hyde mythology just by having had the misfortune to run into Ol' Lucifer himself in a prior generation...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 02:47:47 PM »
Here's another letter to the Editor from Gauld's indefatigable pen.  It was on a page with several other letters preceding it, and I scrolled slowly down, occasionally getting distracted by reading another's story.  However, as soon as I spied that now familiar phraseology, "...impotency ...educational ...throughout my 50-year career," I knew I had found it!   :rofl:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2001/ ... r.h20.html
Education Week
Vol. 20, Issue 32, Pages 44-45
Published: April 25, 2001

LETTERS
Terminal Cynicism: Reform Needs a Revolution, Not a Premature Obituary

To the Editor:

America has had to endure the impotency of educational reform throughout my 50-year career. Now, in "The End of School Reform" (Commentary, April 4, 2001), Peter Temes cynically tells us the system cannot be reformed, and to accept the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation's heroic idea of simply saving as many students as we can.

Mr. Temes gives us the analogy of the man who loses his watch in the living room, but chooses to look for it in the kitchen because the light is better there. Indeed, once America finally tires of the misplaced kitchen searches of Mr. Temes and colleagues, it can start searching where a new and revolutionary educational system is to be found.

Such naysayers rigidly believe that the basic purpose of school must be the intellectual development of the student. But this focus is only a minor subset of a far more powerful purpose: character development.

A focus on character unleashes the deepest human motivation—self-discovery. Adolescence is primarily meant to help students answer the three basic questions of life: Who am I? Where am I going? What do I need to do to get there?

Today, our zeal to provide universities with better students and industry with better workers forces students to ignore or look elsewhere to answer these crucial questions. But if we focus schools on character, and thus self-discovery, students will begin to devour what we presently try to shove down their throats—and more.

Why don't schools make this obvious intellect-to- character transition? Because we fear (1) revolutionary change of the unknown, and (2) our abilities to address larger issues like character.

Character is primarily taught by example. This means that teachers—and parents—need an ongoing program to address their own character and self-discovery.

In character development, parents are the primary teachers and the home the primary classroom. This means that we must make the family part of our educational process, and train parents just as we do teachers.

Clearly, to change schools for our kids, we must first be willing to change ourselves.

We presently lack the guts to institute such revolutionary change, but given increasing Columbine-like tragedies, we may soon find the vision to shuck our long-term cynicism, as expressed by Mr. Temes, and finally live out the true meaning of our American creed.

Joseph W. Gauld
Founder of Hyde Schools
Bath, Maine
Woodstock, Conn.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 03:13:34 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
It's damaging not only for the "losers," who are merely training material for the "winners," it's damaging for the "winners," if they have a conscience.

Could not have said better myself.  One of my rallying cries.  If something is that toxic for one, eventually it'll be toxic for them all.  If they have a conscience.

When we started out at Hyde , we did all those feel good team building things: the team has to cross the rope bridge, the team has to climb the wall.  Then in the regular year we learn to group into two piles: on track and off track etc.  Hyde could not function without the failure group.  One on the lessons at Hyde is the dehumanizing of the other.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 03:29:31 PM »
I bet Joe is filled with sangfroid when ever he thinks of his 14 AP calculus prodigy going off into life as a failure.

He sure as hell brings him up enough!  That poor chap has unwittingly become part of the Hyde mythology just by having had the misfortune to run into Ol' Lucifer himself in a prior generation...

I beg one of you, please, tell me this story of early promise betrayed.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »
Thus far, in this thread, not a single solitary sentence has emerged from Gauld's (indefatigable) pen that has been in agreement with or in support of any other system or philosophy of education.  Or any tiny piece of any of it, for that matter.

It's Gauld vs. World, Featherweight Championship.  Or Battle of the Tight-Ends.

Here's a telling statement from 1992's "Just Do It":
Quote from: ""Joe Gauld""
I chose teaching for the exciting challenge of truly preparing kids for life, hoping to have them return one day to say, "If it weren't for you, Mr. Gauld...''

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 03:42:46 PM »

Oh, it's just that same old story of smarts vs. heart that he has told a million times over, several times a year at Bath, and which finds its way into at least 30-50% of his published material.  I'm sure you have heard it before.  Here's a snip from the previous page in this thread, from the 1992's "Character Development: A School's Primary Task":

This experience tells us that if we take care of character, academic achievement will follow. But I was long duped by the mafia's enshrinement of academic achievement. When I taught advanced-placement calculus 30 years ago, I gave my highest grade to a lazy and arrogant 14-year-old genius, while trying to convince him he was totally unprepared for life, and my lowest to a dedicated but discouraged kid, while trying to convince him his character and drive might someday make him the best engineer in class. The first did graduate from MIT with an "A" average at 18, but he has long been unemployed. The second became a top engineer.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 03:50:09 PM »

Oh, it's just that same old story of smarts vs. heart that he has told a million times over, several times a year at Bath, and which finds its way into at least 30-50% of his published material.  I'm sure you have heard it before.  Here's a snip from the previous page in this thread, from the 1992's "Character Development: A School's Primary Task":

This experience tells us that if we take care of character, academic achievement will follow. But I was long duped by the mafia's enshrinement of academic achievement. When I taught advanced-placement calculus 30 years ago, I gave my highest grade to a lazy and arrogant 14-year-old genius, while trying to convince him he was totally unprepared for life, and my lowest to a dedicated but discouraged kid, while trying to convince him his character and drive might someday make him the best engineer in class. The first did graduate from MIT with an "A" average at 18, but he has long been unemployed. The second became a top engineer.

Ah, the tortoise and the hare. Well, there's the answer to your previous query: Joe modeled his educational philosophy on a fable.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 03:52:39 PM »

given increasing Columbine-like tragedies,

This from a guy that wants to shoot Horace Mann.

live out the true meaning of our American creed.

I thought Joe did not like democracy.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 03:58:06 PM »
I thought Joe did not like democracy.

I think it depends on who he's talking to.

Isn't that kind of like how Hyde markets itself?  Wasn't it 'Guesty' who unwittingly expounded along those lines... "It's not a therapeutic boarding school, but sometimes it is."  ...or something of that ilk?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »

Ah, the tortoise and the hare. Well, there's the answer to your previous query: Joe modeled his educational philosophy on a fable.

OR perhaps the Fox and the Grapes:  " I don't want to be no stinking intellectual.  They smart people got no character"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 04:08:08 PM »
Ah... found it.  Here's what 'Guesty' actually said:

Quote from: ""Guesty""
Hyde is a school and a program. It's not a traditional prep school and dosen't claim to be and it's not a therapy school and doesn't claim to be. It's a little of both for kids and families who aren't too "off track".

I guarantee that the "Tri-State" whiney, baby-boomer attitude is behind many of the complaints you read about on fornits. Incluing Ass-Kow's passive aggressive rants and offers.

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=17336&start=59