Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Facility Question and Answers

Hyde

<< < (4/13) > >>

Ursus:

--- Quote from: ""TS Waygookin"" ---What was a daily schedule like?
--- End quote ---

I'm probably not going to be able to answer this one with as many specifics as you would prefer.  It has been a long time ago for me.  Suffice it to say that one had essentially no free time.  I believe we had 2-3 Seminars a week (now known as Discovery Groups), but there were certainly weeks where there were fewer than the usual (e.g., the whole school had to participate in some other event), or times when there were more (e.g., there was a purge going on).  There were also School Meetings, which were once or twice a day.

Classes during the day, seminars and sports in the afternoon, performing arts activities during some evenings, study hall during other evenings, homework wherever you could fit it in.  In the wee hours before breakfast: sports or homework.  Weekends were a little looser, but you still had all this homework to make up, plus laundry, etc.

All usual activities would be more or less disrupted if there was a purge going on; the requisite extra Seminars and School meetings were usually carved out of class time.

The whole school would get more or less involved during Performing Arts events.  During my time there was "America's Spirit" which functioned more or less like a traveling road show during the Bicentennial years, with admissions material for Hyde on display at all of the performances.

After you completed the summer program, you only attended during the regular school year, unless you needed some "refreshing" in the wilderness category.

nimdA:
Right moving along then..

Who staffed these trips, normal staff from Hyde or was their a special group of wilderness staff?

What were their qualifications?

Ursus:

--- Quote from: ""TS Waygookin"" ---Who staffed these trips, normal staff from Hyde or was their a special group of wilderness staff?

--- End quote ---

"Normal" staff.  How else could you be confronted appropriately as to your character shortcomings, which would become glaringly obvious when you were toiling through the woods with a pack that could be as much as 35% of your body weight?

Hey, I never said a word about that stuff.  Personally, I considered the situation far preferable to the bullshit... er, baloney... on campus.  But there were kids dropping like flies sometimes.  And God forbid you actually had a medical condition that you actually had to defend.  Yes, defend.  Because first you would be put through the wringer for trying to find excuses for slacking off, not challenging yourself enough, not reaching for your personal best.  And no matter how believable your circumstances, no matter how authentic the letter from your family physician was, no matter any of this, there would always be this stigma of trying to sleaze out of something that would hang over your head while at Hyde.

Qualifications?  Ha ha, there's a good one!  Remember:  "attitude is more important than aptitude," and Hyde faculty sure take that one to heart.  Seriously though, the lack of qualifications would freak me out if I were a parent of a Hyde student.  See aforementioned link about the kid who almost drowned on Malcolm Gauld and Paul Hurd's watch.  That situation was brought about by sheer arrogance and stupidity.

silentlysinging:

--- Quote from: ""Ursus"" ---
--- Quote from: ""TS Waygookin"" ---Who staffed these trips, normal staff from Hyde or was their a special group of wilderness staff?

--- End quote ---

"Normal" staff.  How else could you be confronted appropriately as to your character shortcomings, which would become glaringly obvious when you were toiling through the woods with a pack that could be as much as 35% of your body weight?

Hey, I never said a word about that stuff.  Personally, I considered the situation far preferable to the bullshit... er, baloney... on campus.  But there were kids dropping like flies sometimes.  And God forbid you actually had a medical condition that you actually had to defend.  Yes, defend.  Because first you would be put through the wringer for trying to find excuses for slacking off, not challenging yourself enough, not reaching for your personal best.  And no matter how believable your circumstances, no matter how authentic the letter from your family physician was, no matter any of this, there would always be this stigma of trying to sleaze out of something that would hang over your head while at Hyde.

Qualifications?  Ha ha, there's a good one!  Remember:  "attitude is more important than aptitude," and Hyde faculty sure take that one to heart.  Seriously though, the lack of qualifications would freak me out if I were a parent of a Hyde student.  See aforementioned link about the kid who almost drowned on Malcolm Gauld and Paul Hurd's watch.  That situation was brought about by sheer arrogance and stupidity.
--- End quote ---

Ah, yes. You've captured it so well. When I was there, there was one guy in particular- his name escapes me (stout, short guy, brown hair and slight facial hair, probably around 30something)- that went on all the wilderness trips, but he was just a part of the "normal" Hyde staff that took a liking to it, I'm pretty sure. And the second staff member could be anyone. When I was there, I had no idea of the staff members' actual "qualifications"; all I knew in my 14-15 year-old head was that they certainly didn't seem to know what the hell they were doing. At all. Now I know that's because they didn't... Hyde, apparently, doesn't give a shit about qualifications, and will hire you without a college degree/any sort of real experience in dealing with kids at all, nonetheless kids with serious issues. Some of them probably went to Hyde themselves; I just found out that a girl named Adele who used to be in my dorm, one or two years older/ahead of me, now works in Dean's Area. She has been since she graduated.

nimdA:
During one of these discovery sessions if you weren't participating in the questioning of a peer what could potentially happen?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version