Author Topic: Murder Charges Dismissed; No Justice for Travis Parker  (Read 6563 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Murder Charges Dismissed; No Justice for Travis Parker
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 11:47:13 AM »
Again I must ask: Who writes this crap? Is Jane Hansen really stupid enough to put her real name on something that retarded?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 02:04:06 AM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
I'm pretty sick right now but I wanted to ask if anyone is willing to draw up a draft letter, and a list of organizations to send it to, so that this kids death won't be allowed to just disappear.

The state needs to take a very public bullet for this and the counselors who killed this kid should not be allowed to forget that they did kill this boy. Contacting the NAACP would be start, they can raise hell better then most. Getting local. to the area, politicians involved, perhaps by putting public pressure on them to act, could help bring more attention to this. Reading all of the statements in the news and the info Deb posted has really pissed me off. I really think we can do more then ring our hands.

Can anyone go and hunt down the organizations that got involved in the Anderson  case? I'm pretty sure they would be as upset as we are that this has happened. I hate this powerless feeling I get every time something like this happens, it's like the people that should care about the kids don't.

But yeah I'll try to hunt down people who might be interested in getting involved, it won't right what happened but giving up and accepting defeat isn't something we have to accept.

I agree, hanzomon.  Deb's posting caused me to blow a gasket. I wouldn't usually consider calling in the NAACP, except this matter is being fluffed over and NO ONE could raise a massive outcry against it like the NAACP, who can get serious media attention.  Without outside help from a well-organized group like the NAACP, this matter will be quickly forgotten, and none of us can let that happen.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 05:04:54 AM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
I'm pretty sick right now but I wanted to ask if anyone is willing to draw up a draft letter, and a list of organizations to send it to, so that this kids death won't be allowed to just disappear.

The state needs to take a very public bullet for this and the counselors who killed this kid should not be allowed to forget that they did kill this boy. Contacting the NAACP would be start, they can raise hell better then most. Getting local. to the area, politicians involved, perhaps by putting public pressure on them to act, could help bring more attention to this. Reading all of the statements in the news and the info Deb posted has really pissed me off. I really think we can do more then ring our hands.

Can anyone go and hunt down the organizations that got involved in the Anderson  case? I'm pretty sure they would be as upset as we are that this has happened. I hate this powerless feeling I get every time something like this happens, it's like the people that should care about the kids don't.

But yeah I'll try to hunt down people who might be interested in getting involved, it won't right what happened but giving up and accepting defeat isn't something we have to accept.

I agree, hanzomon.  Deb's posting caused me to blow a gasket. I wouldn't usually consider calling in the NAACP, except this matter is being fluffed over and NO ONE could raise a massive outcry against it like the NAACP, who can get serious media attention.  Without outside help from a well-organized group like the NAACP, this matter will be quickly forgotten, and none of us can let that happen.

As much as I aggree that any publicity is good in this matter, there is a tradeoff.  This is not really a race issue here.  If the kid was white, he would be just as dead...  Let's not pretend otherwise.  Though I don't doubt that the outcome of the trial was influenced by race-based prejudice, I don't think it played a factor in the actual death.  There is a risk, with any political organization, of this being turned into a "black vs. white" thing...  The reality that this happens to all races of children could easily be ignored.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 05:29:06 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Again I must ask: Who writes this crap? Is Jane Hansen really stupid enough to put her real name on something that retarded?

You do realize that "journalism" is primarily about entertainment right?  Why do people buy papers?  Because they care, or they want to be entertained?  There are very very few journalists left who investigate... even fewer who are willing to print the whole truth.  In any case, for many journalists, it's easiest to simply parrot a press release, or write something that sounds good (and gets a good response, ensuring career stability/growth).

People "follow a story" but that's all it is... a story, like any other.  How many people post regularly on Fornits who weren't in some way affected by this industry?  To most, this is simply a story, and will be forgotten as soon as the next "Jon-Benet Ramsey" incident.

I wish I had more faith in humanity, but I don't feel like lying to myself.  People who truly give a shit about the suffering in this world are few and far between.  If there is going to be any change in this industry it will probably have to be made by those whose lives have been personally affected.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 07:30:27 AM »

What ever it takes. What would have happened in the Andersen case if the NAACP hadn't been involved? Would there have been a second autopsy? Would the press have even followed the story after the first week of press releases? Doesn't matter that the press/public turns it into a race issue, the nature of the program and abuse are revealed in the process. What's unfortunate is there isn't a group that advocates for white kids as the NAACP does ocassionally for black kids.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 09:21:36 AM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""

What ever it takes. What would have happened in the Andersen case if the NAACP hadn't been involved? Would there have been a second autopsy? Would the press have even followed the story after the first week of press releases? Doesn't matter that the press/public turns it into a race issue, the nature of the program and abuse are revealed in the process. What's unfortunate is there isn't a group that advocates for white kids as the NAACP does ocassionally for black kids.

Like I said, I wouldn't normally consider this an NAACP matter because restraint deaths claim kids of all races, but fighting abusive programs requires allies, and the NAACP has a lot of experience in garnering press attention and rallying support.  The NAACP didn't flaunt a "race card" in the Martin Anderson case, but they did make sure the matter wasn't swept under the rug and forgotten.  Without NAACP involvement, the ridiculous claim of Sickle Cell being the cause of Martin's death might have been allowed to stand..

No, the NAACP definitely needs to be involved, along with any other well-organized group that can throw a floodlight on these worms.  If the NAACP sees a trend in the deaths of Black children in programs and goes after them with the intent of shutting them down, would it matter what their agenda is?  I welcome their involvement.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 03:47:34 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""

Like I said, I wouldn't normally consider this an NAACP matter because restraint deaths claim kids of all races, but fighting abusive programs requires allies, and the NAACP has a lot of experience in garnering press attention and rallying support.  The NAACP didn't flaunt a "race card" in the Martin Anderson case, but they did make sure the matter wasn't swept under the rug and forgotten.  Without NAACP involvement, the ridiculous claim of Sickle Cell being the cause of Martin's death might have been allowed to stand..

No, the NAACP definitely needs to be involved, along with any other well-organized group that can throw a floodlight on these worms.  If the NAACP sees a trend in the deaths of Black children in programs and goes after them with the intent of shutting them down, would it matter what their agenda is?  I welcome their involvement.

I agree.  I was just pointing out a potential danger.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 09:43:48 PM »
Yeah this isn't a race issue, I'm just trying to think of anyone or group who might give a damn and have the resources to, at least, put on a very public campaign. If anyone knows of others orgz please do name them,  

The NAACP Georgia - http://www.ganaacp.org/contact.htm. When I get back to feeling better I'll work on  writing them something, but please if anyone else can also write please do. I really don't know what else to do...
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]