Author Topic: Peer vs. Peer abuse  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peer vs. Peer abuse
« on: June 03, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »
Kids being forced to be the guards of other kids.

In the Stanford prison experiment 1/3 of those given power over others are sadistic.

Parents need to keep that in mind.

No excuse for abusing others at a program at all.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Re: Peer vs. Peer abuse
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 11:31:21 AM »
Quote from: ""JonQ""

In the Stanford prison experiment 1/3 of those given power over others are sadistic.

...Or rewarding the kids for "confronting" their peers, "confronting" being a euphemism for narc action.  Peer on peer supervision is done for the convenience of the staff.  The more aggressive kids help the staff "break down" the weaker peers.  What kind of logic is that?  What's going to happen to these kids who leave a program thinking the key to success is constant tattling?  In the real world, that kind of shit will cause them to be shunned like pariahs.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Peer vs. Peer abuse
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 04:27:42 PM »
That's the prison mentality... The Big dogs keep the little pups inline and are rewarded by the prison staff. Violence, rape, fear, are the tools the Big dogs use to maintain dominance.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Peer vs. Peer abuse
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:42:25 PM »
There's this line in the CEDU Summit workshop which says "I am responsible for everything I see."

Part of this addresses perception, but I think part of it implied that you had some responsibility in controlling other people and situations that you had no business controlling. i.e. everything within your line of sight was something that you could and should control. And if you couldn't, then it's your fault.

I could have misunderstood it, though.

Peer on peer supervision is done for the convenience of the staff.

I disagree with you, ZenAgent. I really don't think it's simply so the staff didn't have to deal with it as much. That was certainly part of it, but it was also part of the conformity process. If a newbie is beset on by the staff and peers, it has a lot more of an effect than if it is just the staff.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peer vs. Peer abuse
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 09:56:16 AM »
Milgram, on his obedience experiments:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=21675

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 11:17:08 AM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""

...Or rewarding the kids for "confronting" their peers, "confronting" being a euphemism for narc action.  Peer on peer supervision is done for the convenience of the staff.  The more aggressive kids help the staff "break down" the weaker peers.  What kind of logic is that?  What's going to happen to these kids who leave a program thinking the key to success is constant tattling?  In the real world, that kind of shit will cause them to be shunned like pariahs.

At the same time, here we have Fornits, with all these people working to change something that isn't in alignment with their values. Are they narcing, or are they trying to make the world a better place?

When do we expect kids to stand up for the right thing? When you--or some other armchair quarterback-- agrees with the premise?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Peer vs. Peer abuse
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 12:15:18 AM »
@ Hyde:  "Brother's Keeper."  For at least the last 35 years, maybe longer...

Not just for the convenience of the staff, although I am sure it makes their job a little easier.  My experience is more like Castle's.  It's part of getting you into the mindset to conform to their touted ideals.  That word "responsibility" is definitely part of the accompanying verbage.  Really twisted from the original context, if you ask me.  Because if I was really my brother's keeper, and he was doing something that was wrong for him, that is something that I should bring up with him, if I felt that strongly about it, not something that I should bring up with him and then tattle my way into good graces with the powers that be (barring personal annihilation or violence to any being, of course).  Because, ultimately, who am I to judge what is best for him?

Re. other abuse:  the peer on peer confrontations that occur in seminar and school meetings, also known as "how to have your soul shredded in public by morons who haven't a clue."  What can I say?  People get caught up in all kinds of hysteria.  I, for one, can not deal with being in a kind of "group" given the residual terror of being at the wrong end of a witch hunt far too many times.  I have to hold myself on the periphery, the only place I feel somewhat safe...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 12:56:31 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""

At the same time, here we have Fornits, with all these people working to change something that isn't in alignment with their values. Are they narcing, or are they trying to make the world a better place?

When do we expect kids to stand up for the right thing? When you--or some other armchair quarterback-- agrees with the premise?

"alignment with their values"?  We're talking about kids being abused and too often killed - if that fits in with your values, you're a sick puppy.  What exactly are you other than an "armchair quarterback" - you're on Fornits, so what are you trying to accomplish from your chair?  

At PV, the kids are encouraged to "confront" a peer who's committed an infraction by calling a group to publicly denounce them.  The kid who was in violation gets a consequence and the confronter gets scratched behind the ears.

So, if the confronter gets out of PV and still has Kool-Aid pumping through his veins when he gets to college, he'll try the same thing on roommates, fellow students, etc., etc.  That's when the kid will be shunned like a pariah.  Those "tools" don't work outside of the virus-pit.

Fornits is a group of  whistle-blowers. We're "narcs" like Michael Moore. We want to stop this carnage, not get scratched behind the ears.

Hidden Lake Academy is near extinction thanks to the efforts of DJ and Deborah, (and literally burnt by ?), The Whitmore is closed, the Sudweeks shamed and exposed, Isabelle Zehnder has been revealed to be a hypocrite and worse...  the world is "a better place" because of all this.  Not bad for a bunch of "armchair quarterbacks" and there's no question of "values" in these actions, it's black and white, don't you think?  If you can defend any of these places and people using your rather unique set of "values", do it.   Otherwise, you sound like you're griping because your team doesn't have the ball and is losing massively.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"