Poll

Solitary confinement or bans - what is worse?

Solitary confinement
2 (66.7%)
Bans / challenges
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closes: November 06, 2044, 10:15:40 AM

Author Topic: Solitary confinement or bans - what is worse (Paris Hilton)  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
What is worse:

Enduring 23-hour solitary confinement at Century Regional Detention Facility in Lynwood

or

Enduring speaking ban/challenge at CEDU?

Is she not yet another story about "I have done the time and now I will do the crime"?

You made like Paris Hilton or not. But this media hysteria could be used in a positive way. Most letters from the readers seems to carry the message, that her parents should have held her accountable or punished her during her childhood, because the general public does not know that she like a lot of you were imprisoned ordered by her parents.

You also know that a lot of the former inmates at CEDU acted out after being released because they reacted to their wrongful imprisonment. They are just never made it to the newspapers of because they did not have the money.

If something good should come out of this, it would be good if all former CEDU victims wrote their local newspapers and told about their feelings of being locked up and punished without a trial. That they told the public how the intense anger kept inside, could cause acting out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Solitary confinement or bans - what is worse (Paris Hilton)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 06:16:46 AM »
Tough for me to say, since I was never in solitary confinement. I know that it is a prisoner's worst nightmare. And some of the "holes" I have seen on film or documentaries did not seem appealing at all.

I think I would probably prefer being able to be out and about and not be able to talk to certain groups of people than that. I was on a full-time, which was as extreme as you could get in terms of isolation when I was at CEDU, and I think I would still probably want that over SC.

However, in SC you don't have stupid writing assignments and aren't in raps three times a week with a guaranteed "hot seat" because you were in trouble.

But SC still sounds much harsher. At least they don't put you in a pitch-black room with a hole in the floor for a toilet and hose you down like they used to do at Alcatraz. But of course, if you miss that, you can always check out Tranquility Bay.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 03:39:10 PM »
If you had a few good books SC would be fine.

However it is not a good comparison. Granted cedu is closed -You can't just do a full time, you have to endure everything else that is cedu education. And that my friend is the hard part. However you can do 20 day jail stint.

How long did P.Hilton go to cedu? weeks / months?

Offline Goobyjow

• View Profile
Bans or solitary
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 04:18:34 AM »
Bans are way worse... at least in solitary you can read what you want and if you happen to see someone passing by you can speak to them and pass a note to your friend. Being banished like in Native American culture, is the worst form of punishment. True hell on earth. That is what 'bans' were like. You didn't exist to anyone but the 'followers'.. no friends, just people who were trying to 'help' you get over having your own personality.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 11:47:08 AM »
Having been on a full-time and more than one table-restriction, hence the ensuing 'bans',  and in SC in a lock-up facility -- I'd have to say that that  neither are worse.  They are both rather shitty in their own way.   At the lock-up facility I had to sit in a plastic chair and stare at wall for a few days without talking.   There were some poor staffers who were paid to watch me sit, at night sleep on the floor, or manage other bodily functions.   If I did not stay seated during the day,  I would be tied down to a bed.   They called getting tied down to a bed a 5 point restraint (i.e two legs,  two arms and one midsection).   Being a survivor of abuse prior to the lock-up,  RMA, or previous placements,  I always felt like I would lose my mind If I was tied to a bed spread-eagle against my will.   Nothing scared (and scares)  me more than being physically restrained.    Not being able to  talk to people sucks, and so does staring at a wall or lame writing assignments, but I'll take those types of punishments over being tied down and not able to talk with people any day.

On the lame writing assignments front,  I was just remembering how pathetic the assignments were.    They were not meant as tools for self-discovery, but rather the assigners intent was implicit within the assignment.  So I wrote to please the assigners.   I was not a fool,  I wanted to regain my limited RMA freedom ASAP.   Pride is what I have as an adult able to control [well, at least adjust]  my environment, not as a child living at the capricious whims of various guardians.

The variations of man's inhumanity to man is really astonishing -- Dan fur,  Iraq, Israel/Palestine, Sudan, 25% of Floridian African American males in prison,   1 out 10 American's getting arrested at some point in their lifetimes,  3  times and your out laws for non-violent crimes, the widening of the digital and financial divide.    I really have a hard time understanding what as a people makes us so fucking mean.   It seems logical that pain would breed compassion, rather than the need to give pain.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 05:55:57 PM »
Read some Darwin. Humans are animals. (Sure we have conscious thought but that doesn't make us "advanced" or better than animals because they can't program a blackberry. It makes us - well - less than animals - considering all the harm we do.)

Darwinian theory says that decisions are based on fear or greed.

I I find most folks base most of their decisions on fear or greed. And most of these people aren't aware of what they base their decisions on. I consider myself to be nice and therefore not a part of that group (fear/greed). I often times wonder if it is an affliction or an asset.

Can't remember who said it....? "There are 2 reasons people do things - The 'good' reason and the 'real' reason.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 10:54:25 PM »
you can only read books in solitary if you have light...

a buddy of mine spent 18 months inside, got into some shit and spent 3 weeks in solitary. no light for him, so no books. said at one point he thought he had been in there for 2 weeks, asked how long it had been, and when a guard finally decided to tell him, it had only been 4 days. won't tell us anything more than that, he just doesn't want to think about it. I think that gives you a clue as to how bad it is.

I'm not really one to shove words in people's mouths or tell them how to think, but I do think it's pretty dumb to say you'd rather be in solitary than on bans. sometimes bans were even a blessing in disguise....gave me a solid reason not to talk to the assholes I was surrounded by all day, every day.

the one thing about cedu that made me truly miserable was being there without a trial. other than that, I can't think of one thing that could possibly have been worse than doing a bid in jail.

cedu, like jail, like war, changes you. changes the complexion of your mind. but cedu is the softest of the 3, make no mistake about it. cedu fucked with my mind as much as any of you, maybe worse. but you can't see the after effects of cedu lingering in me physically like you can see in my buddy after 18 months up at walpole.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 11:01:38 PM »
although, to everyone's credit, I'll admit I didn't see the 23-hour stipulation. and I don't know anything about century regional, maybe they don't have a hole there, maybe they just give you the solitary cell.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 12:07:30 AM »
They called getting tied down to a bed a 5 point restraint

They have six point, too. It's when they strap down  your head. Also known as "six point poseys", because the brand of the lock is Posey.

I actually have a belt with a posey lock on it as a buckle. You have to keep the key with you or else you are shit out of luck when you try to take off your pants.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 02:39:00 AM »
I think that Solitary would be easier than bans.  My reasoning is that when one is on Bans, especially if they are an bans that are of the full-time type, it is much harder when you have to see all the people yet are still in your own personal solitary confinement.

War and Prison would suck also but it's really comparing apples to oranges IMHO.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »
I still don't get this, are you guys talking about solitary or are you talking about the hole?? In many prisons, there is no difference! You're saying you wpuldn't rather be unable to talk to people for a certain amount of time, but still able to see the sun, to breathe clean air, to go outside and enjoy that clean air, to eat normal food, to do whatever you're allowed like read a book or draw a picture or go for a run or shoot a basketball or maybe write a song....ALL things I did when I was on bans from the entire school for weeks at a time.

So you'd rather be stuck in a cramped, stale little room with no light, sometimes it's too short to stand up but to narrow to stretch out and lie down...your senses of sight and hearing are deprived, which in interrogations is often a subtle torture technique that is employed...they bring you food on staggered schedules, sometimes days in advance and sometimes multiple times in one day just so you can't keep track of the time based on it, and so it feels as if weeks are going by when really it's just hours...people go insane in there!!! And you'd rather be in there than not allowed to talk to people....