Author Topic: RE: HLA ON FIRE?!  (Read 31552 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
RE: HLA ON FIRE?!
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2007, 11:23:17 AM »
Also ask what the cap on the insurance policy. Is there adequate insurance to cover all of the students who are currently enrolled?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 17, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »
Ok assume that there is no insurance on the building....if that was true, why would someone intentionally set a fire? If there was not going to be a pay out, what would the motive be? It kind of takes the "fire" out of the arson theory in my opinion. So, if that's true, then what would the motive be? And if arson, who did it? It just opens up other questions if there was no insurance on the building.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 17, 2007, 02:10:05 PM »
So, if that's true, then what would the motive be?

Document destruction.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2007, 05:01:42 PM »
Quote from: ""SH""
Ok assume that there is no insurance on the building....if that was true, why would someone intentionally set a fire? If there was not going to be a pay out, what would the motive be? It kind of takes the "fire" out of the arson theory in my opinion. So, if that's true, then what would the motive be? And if arson, who did it? It just opens up other questions if there was no insurance on the building.

As stated previously: "Or let the insurance run out, have the bank pick up the policy, and then burn the place down so the bank is the direct payee and there's no mortgage to pay back because the insurance company pays the bank directly. Actually pretty shrewd and clever."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 17, 2007, 07:38:25 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Also ask what the cap on the insurance policy. Is there adequate insurance to cover all of the students who are currently enrolled?

No, unfortunately, according to sources, there is no insurance period, on anything or anyone that attends there.  It would be prudent if enrolling
at HLA or anywhere, to ask for copies of their current insurance policies.
Do not let it end there, before enrolling call insurance company to confirm.
Forms are easily gotten off the net or at Office Max or Office Depot.
I had this  happen with a contractor, and much to my shock, the policies were fakes.  I have since learned to do some checking.  It only takes a phone call.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2007, 08:11:33 PM »

One theory, to make it easy...Scenario  #1 Possibility

2nd mortagage or loan taken out on building, using building as collateral.  Cash is given.
No insurance by owner, bank pays insurance premiums on mortagage.
Fire:  Bank holds insurance policy on monies loaned.  Bank gets their money back from insurance company.  Owner already was given the cash,
before fire. Everyone wins, as long as the insurance company for the bank does not do it's own investigation..and if they do, there is nothing to find. According to the paper, in approximately 15 minutes from call, when the fire company arrived, 90% of the building was gone, brick, too.
All the children and staff said there were no sounds of alarms going off.
So, could it have been an accidental fire? Yes.  Could it have been arson?
Yes.  Will they ever know?  That is a good question, but as of right now, it is still "undetermined".

Again, this is just one theory, there are others I am sure.  Remember SH,
it is the property that is worth the money, 210 or so acres, a developers dream!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Land Value
« Reply #201 on: June 17, 2007, 08:51:42 PM »
Well, I do know around what the going rate is for acreage in Lumpkin Co....and it is worth quite a bit of money, however, to make that property a subdivision, you would have to tear down a bunch of buildings....its not that easy of a property to develop...however, another school or possibly summer camp would work there. And it would sit on the market for probably a long time before being sold if thats what he wants to do with it. It was for sale for a very long time before Len bought it. Now, you mentioned that building being brick. I remember it being mainly vinyl siding, with brick trim. I think it was mainly wood frame construction, with brick just being the trim and the vinyl being the main exterior.

I see what youre saying about the insurance scenario..but it still seems to be a big long convoluted way around just to get rid of a building or some documentation.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2007, 09:00:31 PM »
You are right about the brick on the building.  There was very little.  
The most likely scenerio in my opinion for the sale of the school would be for another TBS system to come in and take over.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2007, 11:31:05 PM »
A golf course community with all amenities.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Land Value
« Reply #204 on: June 17, 2007, 11:36:48 PM »
Well, I do know around what the going rate is for acreage in Lumpkin Co....and it is worth quite a bit of money, however, to make that property a subdivision, you would have to tear down a bunch of buildings....its not that easy of a property to develop...however, another school or possibly summer camp would work there. And it would sit on the market for probably a long time before being sold if thats what he wants to do with it. It was for sale for a very long time before Len bought it. Now, you mentioned that building being brick. I remember it being mainly vinyl siding, with brick trim. I think it was mainly wood frame construction, with brick just being the trim and the vinyl being the main exterior.

I see what youre saying about the insurance scenario..but it still seems to be a big long convoluted way around just to get rid of a building or some documentation.

Land is far too expensive to buy for a summer camp or another school.
It would not be financially feasible.  It would have to be bought by a developer.

It is not that confusing, it is done all the time.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Yes
« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2007, 07:09:41 AM »
Yes I know it's done all the time, I am in the mortgage business.  However, developers don't like to have to deal with all those buildings that are already in place. They prefer "raw land". I am sure it could be done, but the expense of tearing down buildings would outweigh the advantage I would think, when there are other large raw land tracts in the area. My cousin's husband who is a developer was interested in a piece of land next to where Mountain Brook was going to go in, in Lumpkin County, but decided to buy near me in this state instead. That piece had been for sale for I believe over a year. If Len puts that land on the market, it will sit for awhile.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: RE: HLA ON FIRE?!
« Reply #206 on: March 03, 2008, 07:07:10 PM »
http://www.georgiaarsoncontrol.com/

What is the Georgia Arson Control Program?

The Georgia Arson Control Program, Inc. (GAC) was formed in January of 1979 by property and casualty insurers writing business in Georgia.  GAC, with the cooperation of the Commissioner, Georgia Department of Insurance and Safety Fire, and state/local law enforcement agencies, established an ARSON HOTLINE. A reward fund was initiated from which monetary rewards are given to individuals who come forward with information that results in the arrest and conviction of arsonists.

What is the maximum reward offered by GAC?

At the discretion of the GAC’s Reward Committee, up to $10,000 may be paid for information resulting in the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for planning or committing arson in the state of Georgia.

How does the reward program work?

The Board of Directors of GAC is composed of representatives of both national and Georgia Based insurance companies, as well as insurance industry trade associations.  The Board meets quarterly and holds an annual meeting each January.

During its meetings, the GAC’s Board considers reward nominations from:

-Individuals who have provided information by calling the toll-free Arson Hotline

-Individuals nominated by a fire chief, police chief, prosecuting attorney, arson investigator or fire marshall

-Individuals who provide information in writing directly to the GAC.

Procedures have been established to safeguard the identity of informants who wish to remain anonymous and juveniles (whose identities must be kept confidential by state law because of their age).

No official of any organization is empowered to promise a reward through this program prior to conviction or before official approval of a reward payment by the GAC Board of Directors.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2008, 07:11:30 PM »
ARSON TIP HOTLINE

1-800-282-5804

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2008, 11:32:03 PM »