Author Topic: Struggling Teens Forum Closed Down  (Read 11965 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Struggling Teens Forum Closed Down
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 08:09:31 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I truly believe, if parents have access to all the information, most will not choose a program as an alternative.

Your forum populace says otherwise. (program parents)

Moderators:

Psy - survivor
TSW - staff
curious (aka ozGirl) - researcher
Karen - Program Parent
Exhausted - Non-program Parent
Zen - Crazy-inlaw-kidnapped-kid-program-parent (who doesn't like programs one bit)
Rachael - Survivor, parent of non-teen
FICA - Survivor, Parent

Gee... that's not balanced?  I think i pretty much got every possible opinion covered.  I actually invited Jena to become a mod, but she never responded (guess she doesn't like the "no deleting or editing posts" rule, and open-door, diplomatic moderation).

Bitch about the moderators.  I dare you.  I spent a lot of time choosing them so that the choice would appeal to both those on ST and Fornits.  As for the regular members?  Stop complaining, start registering.. but that's only if you intend to follow the rule:

One rule: no attacking other posters.

As soon as the system generates a backup database, and emails it to me, like it's supposed to in theory, i'm moving the forum to a real domain and hosting service, where there will be no ads, apart from maybe a few for unrelated stuff, like computers, books, or dvds, to support the site.  Even this will be voted on.  If people want no ads at all, and feel strongly about it... fine by me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Charly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 08:40:36 PM »
Wow- you attribute a lot of power to me.  "ruined two forums".  I had no idea I had such an effect over here.  And I thought the general consensus here was that ST needed to be ruined?  Can't have it both ways.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 09:37:47 PM »
For the record, KarenInDallas, on this site, is a parody.  Ginger can confirm that.  She has had her very own satirical impersonator here.  Even the impersonator his/herself has admitted this (somewhere, don't make me read through 100 page threads to find it).

Also... if anybody is dragging this forum down the tubes, it's "The Who"...  not Karen.  Karen rarely posts here.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 09:43:48 PM »
Quote from: ""Charly""
Wow- you attribute a lot of power to me.  "ruined two forums".  I had no idea I had such an effect over here.  And I thought the general consensus here was that ST needed to be ruined?  Can't have it both ways.

Lon ruined ST.  Jena ruined ST.  You just helped to expose just how ruined it was.  Thanks!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »
Owned.

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 03:54:46 PM »
Owned.
:lol:

Offline Charly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 04:20:19 PM »
Psy-did someone actually think I was TheWho?  I would have NEVER had the patience!  That's hilarious.  

Time will tell if ST is ruined as a support forum for parents. I felt that there was a very small number of posters, many of whom have switched forums.  There will always be new people arriving, I suppose, if it opens back up.  I never got the feeling that Lon got much business as a result of the discussion forum anyway, so maybe he will leave it closed.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 05:02:25 PM »
Karen, sometimes you're so close to getting it, and yet you still have so far to go...

Supporting parents in doing the wrong thing, buttering them up and giving them a party line of bullshit in support of something KNOWN to be ineffective and abusive?

Coddling abuse-outsourcing isn't support, support is helping them do the RIGHT thing, and come to grips with reality.

ST never truly supported parents, children, or families, it supported the coffers of Lon Woodbury and the Program industry. Nothing more.

But, well, my inner /b/tard is crying out, so bear with me...

Karen, you REALLY won't be able to get that layered, "meta" injoke, so don't bother. Lets just say well dressed African Americans with Afros have a habit of closing venues full of diseases of various sorts  :rofl: be they mental, physical, or simply a metaphor for racial bigotry.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Charly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 06:20:14 PM »
Niles- I wasn't trying to opine one way or another on the support aspect of ST.  The fact is, the ONLY real function was for parents to give each other cyber-hugs and reassure each other.  It DID work for that purpose- whether or not it should have.  However, if anyone tried to be critical or offer some thoughts on a particular aspect of the industry, there was either a cut and run or the feline arching of one's back.  The useful information had to come in the form of PMs.  When a parent really got into a tough spot or wanted to challenge the program where they had put their kid, they were usually afraid to share this publicly.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 06:51:37 PM »
I think we're splitting hairs here, but thinking basically the same thing.

My only thing is I don't find cyber-hugging and reassurances in support of something intrinsically wrong to be 'support', in that I don't think telling someone it will all be OK in that comet in the sky if you drink the Koolaid is 'support'.

Otherwise, YOU and ME are in agreement, ST is down becuase Lon realized it wasn't making money, it was spreading the truth, and Psy is feeling his wild oats in terms of being a puppet master.

Now all I can wait for is when Lon tries to sue Psy/Fornits/Bozo the Clown-o/some mix thereof/ and gets his ass handed to him in court  :rofl:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 07:02:54 PM »
Quote from: ""Theory""
The following is a portion of a PM sent to Psy:

There is a significant group of disgruntled former program parents that would like to post here. However, if you allow TSW to be a moderator and to continuously spew his sanctimonious, judgemental, value-laden opinions after he's been asked to moderate his tone (imagine that, asking a moderator to be moderate) then they will undoubtedly leave the site. (A sentence that might be considered inflamatory removed by Theory.) Why parents sent their child away is hardly important now...they do not need to be abused at the hands of a (descriptors removed) person. Additionally, some people may distrust TSW simply because he was part of the system- having admitted to engaging in the ugliness of the program he was employed by. It's enough for him to say, "I made a mistake and I'm asking for forgiveness, I should not have worked there", however, he will not and does not ever return the favor. His presence here is poisoning the well of what some hoped would be more neutral territory for information and healthy healing.

http://www.freepowerboards.com/struggli ... 20-15.html

:rofl:

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 07:27:06 PM »
Niles wrote:
My only thing is I don't find cyber-hugging and reassurances in support of something intrinsically wrong to be 'support', in that I don't think telling someone it will all be OK in that comet in the sky if you drink the Koolaid is 'support'.

If you don’t feel it is wrong then it is supportive and it works well.  Drinking the koolaid applies to both sides of the fence.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »
With one side paying to have it forcibly poured down their throats of their children.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 07:32:54 PM »
Additionally, some people may distrust TSW simply because he was part of the system

I find that statement odd.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 08:04:20 PM »
With one side paying to have it forcibly poured down their throats of their children.

and the otherside drinking it for free!