Author Topic: Oppositional Defiant Disorder (?)  (Read 3207 times)

Offline along comes mary

• View Profile
Oppositional Defiant Disorder (?)
« on: May 10, 2007, 02:33:28 AM »
First of all, isn't it true that HLA claims that all the children they accept must meet certain criteria, including being diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)?

Secondly, if so, why was I admitted? The Ed Con who referred me to HLA never met me, but decided I was ODD based on my mother's description of my behavior. Is an Ed Con (or the Admission Staff at HLA for that matter) licensed to diagnose a disorder in a child, much less one they've never met?

If you read the definition of ODD I posted below, a few things might stand out to you, as they did to me.

1. the definition is ridiculously vague. all of those behaviors are typical of teenagers to some degree, and the criteria that the child present the behaviors "more frequently than is typically observed in individuals of comparable age and developmental level" is ENTIRELY subjective.

2. the criterion that these "behaviors do not occur exclusively during the course of a Psychotic or Mood Disorder."
Mood disorders include depression and bipolar disorder. So someone would have to rule out that the child was bipolar or depressed before diagnosing them with ODD...OR if they WERE depressed or bipolar, they would have to be monitored over a period of at least several months to determine if the ODD type behaviors exhibited themselves while the child was not in a depressive or bipolar episode.

3. the definition doesn't take drug use into consideration. An otherwise well-adjusted kid might start experimenting with drugs with his/her friends ( NOT "more frequently" than them) and their behavior while under the influence might fit the ODD definition, even though while sober it would not. Drug use is pretty high among teenagers, and acting "ODD" while high just makes you belligerent on that drug, not necessarily truly ODD. Drug use is NOT a symptom of ODD. And for those that would argue that using drugs IS defiant because it is illegal, let me remind you that the child would have to use/abuse drugs MORE frequently than other kids their age (or other kids at their development level).

Here are some stats from http://www.teendrugabuse.us/:

"- Illicit teen drug use as of 2003.
  * 8th grade -- 30.3%
  * 10th grade -- 44.9%
  * 12th grade -- 52.8%

- In the last thirty days 50% of teenagers report drinking with 32% being drunk at least on one occasion."

So, you can see that as of four years ago it was actually more likely, and more normal, for a high school senior to use drugs. Doesn't fit the definition, does it?

4. the definition doesn't take PRESCRIPTION drugs into consideration. The side effects of many Rx drugs (especially those to treat ADD/ADHD) are well known to cause changes in a child's mood or behavior. For example, Anti-depressants are now known to cause suicidal tendencies in some children and medications such as Ritalin (and it's ilk) are amphetamines for god's sake!

My parents jumped on the ADD bandwagon and made me take meds to treat my alleged ADD. They decided I had ADD because of my low math grades... (turns out I have a learning disability in mathematics called dyscalculia and was never ADD after all (':-?')... hahaha...ha..) So these meds just got me super-jacked for a while at school and by the time I got home I was coming down from my amphetamine high, leaving me irritable, short-tempered, mean, and pretty much all the ODD symptoms when I was around my parents! Did they, my Ed Con, or HLA ever take the fact that I was being unwillingly dosed with uppers into consideration when deciding I was ODD??!

Lastly, I want to know how many of you or your children were told by HLA or an Ed Con that you (or your child) was ODD? Did a psychiatrist diagnose any of you, or at least confirm what you were told?

Does anyone know of a child who was rejected from HLA?

Did HLA EVER tell ANY family that their child WASN'T ODD?

And to all Staff... can you shed any light on this?
Do you have the candor, integrity, or veracity to?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions about ODD and HLA's credentials/ lack thereof for declaring a child ODD, and therefore fit for admission...  

The DSM-IV (the psychiatry/psychology "bible" for diagnosis and treatment of mental heath issues) definition is below.

(From http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/odd.htm)

Diagnostic criteria for 313.81 Oppositional Defiant Disorder:

A. A pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior lasting at least 6 months, during which four (or more) of the following are present:
(1) often loses temper
(2) often argues with adults
(3) often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules
(4) often deliberately annoys people
(5) often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
(6) is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
(7) is often angry and resentful
(8) is often spiteful or vindictive
Note: Consider a criterion met only if the behavior occurs more frequently than is typically observed in individuals of comparable age and developmental level.

B. The disturbance in behavior causes clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.

C. The behaviors do not occur exclusively during the course of a Psychotic or Mood Disorder.

D. Criteria are not met for Conduct Disorder, and, if the individual is age 18 years or older, criteria are not met for Antisocial Personality Disorder.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
And then along comes Mary
And does she want to set them free, and let them see reality
From where she got her name
And will they struggle much, when told that such a tender touch of hers
Will make them not the same

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ODD ALL TO 'EASY'
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 10:08:51 AM »
Diagnostic criteria for 313.81 Oppositional Defiant Disorder:

A. A pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior lasting at least 6 months, during which four (or more) of the following are present:
(1) often loses temper
(2) often argues with adults
(3) often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules
(4) often deliberately annoys people
(5) often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
(6) is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
(7) is often angry and resentful
(8) is often spiteful or vindictive

Note: Consider a criterion met only if the behavior occurs more frequently than is typically observed in individuals of comparable age and developmental level. *******

Gee, this sounds like pre-pubescent and pubescent years..as horrifying as they were.  I think we as parents forgot what it was like.
And, yes, of-course , there were the 'lucky' ones that had 'mild'
puberty. Ever met a woman that said she was 'lucky' as she had a
'mild' menopause or any human that said they experienced a 'mild' this or that. Some are not as fortunate as others..so, here we go,
ODD, ADD, ADHD.  My God, we have answer to why Johnny stares out the window in class, give him meds, that will 'fix' everything.
Aderol, speed him up... then he can really discern what is EXACTLY out the window. It couldn't be that 'this' Johnny was bored
in class..  ODD, oh MY GOD, we must slow him down, his hormones
are acting up!

Which Johnny is he?  Do they care?  If we make him into a wreck of a Johnny, think of how much money can be made. The different
psychiatrists, psychologists,pediatricians,drug stores,drug manufacturers, suppliers, ed. cons, TBS schools, IEP monies...

The public schools don't have the money to keep Johnny from staring out the window ..maybe Johnny needs more academic
stimulus...no money, no time..So let's speed him up so that he really wants to 'absorb' what is out that window or eat  1+1=2.
What a fete!

I think what the ODD cheerleaders are forgetful of, is that last line
of the above ***** ( see Note:)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 10:29:27 AM »
All children who attend HLA are given a diagnosis of "ODD" for insurance purposes.

Quote from HLA's document entitled Insurance Information for Parents and Guardians:

"If you should choose to seek reimbursement from your insurance company, the following information will be helpful when you call for pre-authorization:

* Be prepared to give a brief synopsis of the problems your child is having. Because of the populatin we serve, all students will have the diagnosis of Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Other diagnoses may be present however, especially if your child has seen a psychiatrist or psychologist prior to enrollment."

So all children are given a blanket diagnosis and receive "mental health services" from "counselors" who are not licensed in the state of Georgia.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 10:48:22 AM »
I smell.........insurance fraud...
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 12:20:36 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
So all children are given a blanket diagnosis and receive "mental health services" from "counselors" who are not licensed in the state of Georgia.

Blanket dx and blanket treatment.
HLA dx'd my son with ODD based on his father's complaints. Weren't the least bit interested in my persepctive. Then had one of their staff testify via phone that he was on a "slippery slope" and needed the treatment they provided. Also told the judge that if he was allowed to come home, as I was requesting, his father would loose $110K of pre-paid tuition. Perjury. Unfortunately, I didn't know their policy on refunds at the time.
What a scam.
ODD? Or a reasonable reaction to a bad situation? What should have been evaluated and 'treated', was his father and step-mother's behavior.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 03:09:58 PM »
I'm sitting here with the DSM IV... those diagnosis criteria aren't quite complete.  

"To qualify for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, the behaviors must occur more frequently than is typically observed in individuals of comparable age, and developmental level and must lead to significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning"

Real psychologists are a little more careful (usually) not to blanket people with labels and diagnoses.  It also says "There may be a vicious cycle in which the parent and child bring out the worst in each other" (something programs thrive on)

It goes on to explain how the "disorder" is more common in families in which "harsh, inconsistent, or neglectful child-rearing practices are common".

It also says "Oppositional Behavior is a typical feature of certain developmental stages" Emphasis _not_ added.  that is boldfaced in the book.  It also explains lots of shit it is confused with.

Fuck educational consultants...
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Kreflo

• View Profile
ODD and PV
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 03:28:25 PM »
Peninsula Village also LOVES to lay the ODD label on every kid who walks through the door.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 05:34:23 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I smell.........insurance fraud...

Here, here!

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 05:42:12 PM »
Without question. During my time alot of the kids locked in were never even evaluated, they just had the label of ODD slapped on them and sent on their merry way.

Offline along comes mary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 11:35:58 PM »
Quote from: ""RobertBruce""
Without question. During my time alot of the kids locked in were never even evaluated, they just had the label of ODD slapped on them and sent on their merry way.

HOW is it possible that they are able to do this???!!

From what I've gleaned from a few of the posts above, this is totally unethical, and more than likely illegal!... And yet this is standard practice?

I don't know if the current lawsuit includes the use (abuse) of the ODD label, or what the statute of limitations would be on such a violation, but if it is, in fact, FRAUD, then I can't imagine it would help  HLA's case.

Actually, could there not be another lawsuit brought against HLA based solely on this?

Are there any persons of a legal persuasion here that can answer this question?

I don't know if this particular element of the whole sordid child- EdCon-HLA cycle has been thoroughly examined from a legal perspective or not, but it seems that it should be, and in full view of the public.

Like I said, I can't imagine that NO ONE has done this already, but if they haven't, then I feel a personal responsibility to do my part to ensure that it IS addressed and exposed to the extent that parents considering TBS or wilderness programs will be savvy enough to raise an eyebrow when a layperson breaks them the news that their child is "ODD"...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I hope that anyone who feels conned by the misuse of this label also feels the same drive to do something about it...

Its my personal belief that when you have an opportunity to act, and you don't, your lack of action is, in fact, a choice.

If you feel strongly about this subject, yet do nothing about it, then you've not only chosen to accept the status quo, but you've enabled things to continue as they are.. without change.

And if you're anywhere as shocked or frustrated or incredulous or outraged as I am, then you KNOW that this ODD labeling process MUST change.

And so I implore you to consider where you stand on this issue, and if you're honest with yourself and come to the conclusion that something DOES need to be done, then I beseech you to do whatever you can to see that something IS done.

...Or you can put it off and wait for more families to be conned by the ODD labeling practices that are currently in place and hope THEY will do something about it, because YOU CHOSE not to act.
It's your choice... but it IS a choice.

As for me, I await your posts and PMs, eager to act on my principles, and with no doubt that something MUST, and more importantly, CAN be done.

And if you ARE one of those people who USED the ODD label to deceive and defraud families that put their trust, money, and children's lives in your hands, I would be oh so very delighted to see YOU exercise a few of the tenets from all those speeches you gave US about ACCOUNTABILITY...
(and I have a feeling they could use a good workout right about now, eh?)

Offline along comes mary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 04:17:02 AM »
what? no takers? ::huh::

don't let me down now, guys.

SURELY SOMEONE around here MUST have SOMETHING to say about this...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 08:18:26 AM »
No one is likely to fight the labeling of ODD  to the HLA students because it is so subjective.  In a court it would come across simply as two differing opinions.  I am not saying that it is right, but it is probably reality.