Author Topic: Utah Teen dies in Colorado Wildernes Therepy Program  (Read 15606 times)

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Utah Teen dies in Colorado Wildernes Therepy Program
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2007, 01:53:03 PM »
Does Izzy have time to do anything other than post on the internet?

Seriously though.. if you comment on that link don't turn it into a flame fest over PURE. We have a pure forum for that. Keep it on track about the kid Caleb. The more people get the word on this the better.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
am the metal pig.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2007, 02:27:03 PM »
We need to keep this topic at the top of the forum. I refuse to believe that the only game in advocacy is me getting banned from a forum and ST being shut down.

Lets get some sorta sign up sheet going for those who want to mob that link and do a mass posting part. cut and paste and repost with your screen name or number or whatever you choose to id yourself with.

Don't worry about IPs.. I'll put a list of proxies up that are free to use by everyone if you are afraid of prosecution.

1) TSW
am the metal pig.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2007, 03:07:15 PM »
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
We need to keep this topic at the top of the forum. I refuse to believe that the only game in advocacy is me getting banned from a forum and ST being shut down.

Lets get some sorta sign up sheet going for those who want to mob that link and do a mass posting part. cut and paste and repost with your screen name or number or whatever you choose to id yourself with.

Don't worry about IPs.. I'll put a list of proxies up that are free to use by everyone if you are afraid of prosecution.

1) TSW

Keeping this up top. Their is so much more going on to fight programmie scum and their sorts than forum drama.

am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2007, 03:56:06 PM »
Shades of Pueblo Chieftain all over again?  

No thanks.  The IZZY factor appears to be in full force.

:rofl:

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2007, 05:36:26 PM »
I posted,

Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
I haven't read through all of these post so I'll keep it brief. I've seen many case like this involving programs for troubled teens, this is a death due to medical neglect. In the troubled teen industry there's a tough love think that allows this sort of thing to happen much to often. Contrary to the questionably good intentions of staff, kids who complain about being sick are more often called a "faker" or a "manipulator" who's trying to get out of "working the program". When ever a kid dies, like in the case of Ian August, the program always tries to place the blame on something or someone else. Nature, the parents, or the dead kid are the usual scapegoats. Programs try to justify medical neglect by saying that the kid was always faking being sick. It disgusts me when people use the delinquency of the child as a way to excuse the program  for the child's death or harsh treatment. FYI: Abuse is wrong period

I hear what you folks are saying in regards to AYA's, and the troubled teen industry's, mission of helping troubled teens. However you need to realize that the industry has had decades to change and many deaths, and a vastly greater number of abused kids, to show that change is desperately needed. But no change will come from these supposed saviors of teens in crisis. After a death Programs fight tooth and nail to avoid taking responsibility for the ethical deficit of it's staffers and policies that lead to that death, I highly suspect that it will be the same in this case. Is that the action of a caring guardian of the most vulnerable children in our society? All of the change that has come has been hard fought by former victims, and now survivors, of these "caring" programs.  

I'll post some links to some websites you folks can visit to learn more about this issue. If you truly care about the children you will take the time to educate yourself. If AYA truly cares, accept responsibility for your actio...  inactions that led to this boy's death...

• ISAC corp - Watchdog group for the Troubled teen industry made up by survivors of abusive programs.
  • Who's Watching The Kids? - Documentary, viewable online, by the Montana PBS that looks at programs run by the World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools(WWASPS) An organization based in Utah
  • Inside Edition Report - Report(video) done by Inside Edition on WWASPS that shows video of kids at a facility in Mexico who were kept in dog cages. Read Jessica's testimony of her time at the facility
  • Holy The Children Memorial - Online Memorial for children who did not survive the "caring" hands of their abusers
  • Fornits - unmoderated message board for survivors to vent, reconnect, or talk about the weather. Valuable information if you can stomach it.
  • Struggling People - a moderated forum for both parents and survivors to share experiences, good and bad, and to educate each other on issues faced by survivors and parents.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2007, 06:15:31 PM »
You know sad fact is RW probably isn't to wrong. Lot of educating needs to be done for state officials. Sounds like a good issue to kick off a summer awareness campaign over.

My family is going in that direction, my wife has gotten addresses and phone numbers of local officials here.  My step daughter needs to send her personal story in, I think it would get the attention of the politicos in a way a parent's letter wouldn't.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Charly

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2007, 06:31:29 PM »
Send it to Fred Thompson (seriously)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2007, 07:01:13 PM »
Advocacy is important enough to be done well. So consider this:

The general assumption here is that camp employees knew about the infection and ignored it, that the kid's needs were ignored. But all we have is the result: he died of an antibiotic-resistant strain of staph; he'd had staph numerous times before. The staph infection could have appeared and killed him within hours, as this type of infection does--daily--around the country. It happens with chilling frequency, and may have little or nothing to do with any preventative measures taken. It may be a case of neglect, but at this point, it's a stretch to place this in the neglect/abuse column. The death alone is not convincing to anyone who's seen how virile this infection can be.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2007, 07:19:37 PM »
The general assumption here is that camp employees knew about the infection and ignored it, that the kid's needs were ignored.

Yep, thats how we work here at fornits get use to it, he will be placed on the list as a homicide (killed by camp employees) and the official results will not make a difference either way.
We know the real story, dont let anyone tell you any different.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2007, 07:48:06 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

The general assumption here is that camp employees knew about the infection and ignored it, that the kid's needs were ignored. But all we have is the result: he died of an antibiotic-resistant strain of staph; he'd had staph numerous times before. The staph infection could have appeared and killed him within hours, as this type of infection does--daily--around the country. It happens with chilling frequency, and may have little or nothing to do with any preventative measures taken. It may be a case of neglect, but at this point, it's a stretch to place this in the neglect/abuse column. The death alone is not convincing to anyone who's seen how virile this infection can be.

INTERESTING... where did you find this information regarding the "resistant" staph.   This sounds like pure BS to me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2007, 07:53:23 PM »
The general assumption here is that camp employees knew about the infection and ignored it, that the kid's needs were ignored.

Yep, thats how we work here at fornits get use to it, he will be placed on the list as a homicide (killed by camp employees) and the official results will not make a difference either way.

TheWho likes make fun of sexual abuse victims, isn't that disgusting?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2007, 08:04:57 PM »
Hey TSW, still waiting for the following:

Thanks!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2007, 08:22:41 PM »

TheWho likes make fun of sexual abuse victims, isn't that disgusting?

yes he is a creep, that has been known for a long time.......

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
change the laws
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2007, 08:41:52 PM »

Why wouldnt the staff know about the infection?  The child had to be sick and it had to be very painful.  Are you suggesting that the staff had no idea that a child was in pain, ill or exhausted?  If you have ever seen anyone suffer from a staph infection, it is beyond obvious they need medical attention.  Have you ever had the flu?  Can you imagine a raging staff infection while trying to hike miles everyday?  How COULD the staff NOT know?  Isnt it their job to watch out for your child?  Do  you think this little boy kept this to himself?  I am interested to know how you found out so quickly this is a "staph infection resistant to antibotics"-I suppose he will never know because he was not treated with antiboitics--which is the only way to tell if the infection he has is resistant.  Your post is transparent.  Yes, I suppose it is true that when a child dies of medical neglect we assume it is another needless death at the hands of these programs.  

This is why we need federal legislation and take away the power from these programs.  Every person working with these children, expecially if they are out in the wilderness need to have some type of medical background.  I believe every person should have state mandated training on recognizing abuse and that they are required by law to report it.  ESPECIALLY for adjudicated youth.  If you are being sent by the state and it is paid for by the tax payer.  They should be required to have properly trained employees.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2007, 08:56:33 PM »

1) TSW

TSW-  signing up.  rw