Author Topic: Utah Teen dies in Colorado Wildernes Therepy Program  (Read 16047 times)

Offline Karass

• View Profile
Utah Teen dies in Colorado Wildernes Therepy Program
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 11:06:10 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I live on the west slope of Colorado where this tragedy took place and this story has been all over the news. I heard that this was the first kid that ever died in their program and that the staff did a very good job of taking care of him and other kids in the program.

I'm sure his parents are thrilled at the wonderful job they did taking care of him!

This kid died of a simple staph infection that was easily treatable. That's not a whole lot different than the tragic death of Aaron Bacon so many years ago. Aaron had a different medical condition, but it was also easily treatable...if any of the "responsible adults" in the program had given a shit about him.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 12:59:23 PM »
Son died in wilderness program
A mother seeks answers
She says authorities in Utah and Colorado remain vague on what happened to boy  [Imagine that!!]
By Nate Carlisle
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 05/12/2007 01:31:13 AM MDT

Click photo to enlarge Caleb Jensen wrote his mother weekly. This is his last...
(Danny Chan La/The Salt Lake Tribune )

Caleb Jensen was not an innocent teenager, his mother admits, but he was supposed to get better.
    A wilderness camp in Colorado was supposed to improve the 15-year-old's behavior and make him more respectful, said Dawn Boyd, Jensen's mother. That's why a Utah court sent him there.
    Now Boyd wants something else out of the camp: answers as to how her son died.
    "What's important to me is other mothers don't ever have to go through this again," Boyd said, "because this is the most horrible thing a mother can ever go through, losing a baby they think is going to get better."
    Colorado authorities say Jensen died from a staphylococcus infection. Personnel at the camp, Alternative Young Adventures, observed signs of the infection, according to a state agency, but neglected to properly care for it. The state of Colorado suspended the company's license this week.
    Boyd suggested the state of Utah bears some responsibility, too. Speaking from her Salt Lake City apartment, Boyd said Jensen had been susceptible to infections, particularly on his face, ever since he was a toddler and contracted impetigo, a common skin infection in young children. The state of Utah had Jensen's medical history, Boyd said, before it sent him to the camp.
    "He would get [an infection on his face] one day and the next day his face would just be swollen huge," Boyd said.
    Boyd described her son as being somewhat different than the average teenager. He could have a bad attitude, the mother said, two or three times worse than other kids.
    But the Bryant Middle School student also was smart, Boyd said. He was a writer, composing something between poetry and rap lyrics. He was funny, too.
    "Maybe he could have been a comedian," Boyd said. "Maybe he could have been a lawyer. He could have been anything. He was so smart."
    Boyd declined to give specifics of what her son did to get in trouble with the law, but said it was not violent, nor an egregious crime.
    "He was one of those kids that wanted to fit in with everyone," Boyd said, "and he got in with a group of kids and they dared him to steal something and he got caught."
    A juvenile court issued a sentence, Boyd said, but Jensen did not follow the terms. The court then sent Jensen to the Youth Adventures camp near Montrose, Colo. Boyd said the court informed her of what was happening to her son but did not give her a choice in the matter.
    Jensen arrived at the camp on March 28. He wrote once a week to his mother or two sisters.
    "He just mainly spoke of how they hiked up big mountains, and how tired he was from hiking everyday," Boyd said.
    "He was so tired and he just explained to us that he was optimistic to get out of the program and do what he needed to do to come home and get back right with his family," she added.
    Then on May 2, Boyd received a telephone call from someone at Youth Adventures. A man on the other end told her Jensen had been placed on a helicopter to be flown to a hospital and he died.
    Boyd said she asked the man what he was talking about. Then she realized what he was saying.
    "It was all blurry," Boyd said in an interview. "I lost it. I handed the phone to my fiance."
    Her fiance, Boyd said, learned from the man Jensen had been on a "down day," where the kids take a break from hiking to attend lectures and counseling sessions. Jensen was sitting on his sleeping bag speaking to a staff member, the man said.
    Five or 10 minutes later, Boyd said the man told her fiance, someone called out to Jensen and he didn't answer. At some point, the boy slumped over.
    The family does not know where her son was pronounced dead. Boyd said she did not receive any information from the coroner investigating her son's death until she hired an attorney
    Then, Boyd said, she had to make the arrangements to bring her son's body to Salt Lake City. At some point she received $1,500 in checks, but in her confusion she didn't note whether they came from the state or from Youth Associates.
    Boyd said she saw her son's body for the first since he left Utah on Tuesday, the day before his funeral. He had sores on the outside of his mouth, Boyd said.
    "It wasn't even until the day before my son's funeral that I was overnighted a letter from [Youth Associates] with an apology," Boyd said.
    Boyd declined on Friday to say who she holds responsible for her son's death. Instead, she just talked about the answers she's seeking.
    "I don't know any of the details [of Jensen's death]," Boyd said. "I'd like to know what my son's last words were."
    http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5879895
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 01:14:32 PM »
Utah teens back from wilds after boy's death
By Angie Welling
Deseret Morning News
      Three Utah teenagers who had been placed in the same youth wilderness program where a 15-year-old Salt Lake City boy died earlier this month have returned home.
      Staff members from Utah Juvenile Justice Services, which had custody of all four boys, drove to southwest Colorado on Thursday to pick up the teens, agency director Dan Maldonado said. Two of the teens had recently completed the 60-day program for at-risk youths and were ready to come home, while the third will be placed in another program based on his needs.
      On the orders of state officials, Caleb Jensen entered Alternative Youth Adventures in Montrose, Colo., on March 28. He died May 2 from what the Mesa County coroner has determined to be natural causes.
      Concerns about whether Jensen suffered from an untreated staph infection, however, have led Colorado authorities to suspend the facility's license pending an investigation by the Montrose County Sheriff's Office.
       Utah has a long history with Alternative Youth Adventures, contracting with the facility when it was located near Loa, Wayne County, and continuing the relationship when it moved to Colorado, said Carol Sisco, spokeswoman for the Utah Department of Human Services.
      "We've had a very good track record with them," she said.
      The state has placed 20 youths in the Alternative Youth Adventures program since July 1, 2006, according to Maldonado. The facility is the only wilderness therapy program with which Utah Juvenile Justice Services currently contracts, though that three-year contract was set to expire on June 31.
      The agency typically has custody of about 1,300 youths under the age of 21 who have been referred to them by the juvenile court system. It places the children in a variety of programs, depending on an assessment of their individual needs.    
   "We have a wide array of programs, and most of them are much longer custody programs," Maldonado said. "Something like a wilderness program is indicated for someone whose offense profile suggests that we might be able to have a shorter-term custody arrangement."
      In this case, staff members advised that Jensen be placed in the wilderness program and a juvenile court judge accepted the recommendation. The teen was placed with eight other at-risk youths for a two-month "outing" with four AYA staff members to take part in character-building exercises intended to build their self-esteem and communication skills, said Bill Palatucci, senior vice president of Community Education Centers Inc., which operates Alternative Youth Adventures.
      "This is a well-known, well-regarded program and so this incident is really out of character and unprecedented for AYA Colorado," Palatucci said. "That makes it all the more difficult to explain."
      Jensen passed a physical exam the day he arrived at the facility, as well as a checkup the week before his death. He also visited with a counselor the day before he died in the base camp, Sisco said.
      Staff members are trained to identify medical conditions in the youths, according to Palatucci, and medical assistance is always available.
      "They're very used to adolescents with behavioral problems, but also with claims of medical conditions," he said.  :question: "They have to know how to recognize symptoms and problems and the track record has been that they've been able to do that very well.
      "Our contention is that this medical condition was just something that was not easily detectable."
      Maldonado is in daily contact with Colorado authorities and is awaiting the outcome of the investigation there before taking any action in Utah.
      "The nature and depth of our review will be contingent on the results of the investigation that comes out of the county sheriff's office," he said. "At this point, what we are waiting for are some answers from Colorado about their judgment about staff error or negligence."
      The director has also been in contact with Jensen's family, who are understandably struggling with the young man's death.
      "They are not doing very well at all. My staff tell me that mom is having a very difficult time with this," he said. "There are people in our staff that are having a hard time and there are people in Colorado having a hard time, too."
E-mail: http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660220017,00.html

Teen died of staph infection while on outing
Katharhynn Heidelberg
Daily Press News Editor
MONTROSE — Outdoor programs through Alternative Youth Adventures are on hold after the state suspended the organization’s licenses Wednesday.

The state human services department said the staph infection that claimed 15-year-old Caleb Jensen during a Montrose outing produced observable symptoms which AYA staff allegedly neglected.

[Palatucci, "Our contention is that this medical condition was just something that was not easily detectable."]

The program’s parent company, Community Education Centers, Inc., denied negligence in the boy’s death.

AYA, which runs wilderness therapy programs for at-risk or adjudicated youths, was being investigated by Montrose County authorities after Jensen’s death on Little Red Mountain May 2, near the Mesa County line.

The Mesa County Coroner, to whom Jensen’s autopsy was transferred while jurisdiction was being determined, said in a Thursday news release the youth died from a methicillin-resistant staph aureus infection.

The Colorado Attorney General’s Office confirmed Thursday AYA’s therapeutic residential childcare and residential childcare licenses were summarily suspended at the request of the Colorado Department of Human Services.

“It’s the department’s belief the child reported symptoms of observable signs of infection that were neglected and he was denied proper medical treatment,” Liz McDonough, Colorado Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman said Friday.

“That’s the basis for the summary suspension. The kids have been removed and are being put in alternative placements.”

The suspension means AYA is prohibited from engaging in the practices its licenses permitted it to undertake, AG spokesman Nate Stauch said.

AYA has the right to an expedited hearing on the matter, but according to the suspension order, it had to surrender its license immediately. Further proceedings will determine whether the license should be revoked.

Jensen was participating in a program run through the Montrose office when he died.

According to the Montrose County Sheriff’s Office, AYA staff members tried to revive Jensen and notified emergency dispatch. They brought him to an evacuation point, and Mesa County deputies responded, but CPR efforts were unsuccessful and Jensen was pronounced dead.

AYA Vice President Bill Palatucci said the organization will fight for its licenses and its staff. “We plan to contest the suspension. We firmly believe the staff did everything appropriately and correctly and there were no obvious signs that this juvenile was distressed,” he said.

“We’re very happy to work with the department to review policies and procedures, but we don’t see the need for suspension right now.” :rofl:

District Attorney Myrl Serra said previously the matter was still under active investigation.

Serra said Thursday he had no information about the suspension.

Palatucci said the Little Red Mountain outing included four staff members and nine youth clients, which is typical. The program’s licensing allowed a ratio of one to four, he said.

He would not say why Jensen was in the program, citing confidentiality concerns, but did say the boy’s enrollment had been court-ordered in Utah.

Program outings have ceased for now, Palatucci said, and AYA has complied with the suspension. “We’ll have to deal with the hearing procedure the suspension puts in motion,” he said. “It adds to the difficulties of the staff and clients. We will have to find alternative placements for youths in programs that can accommodate them.”

He said AYA was going to stand behind its employees. “While outings have been suspended, our staff will remain in place,” Palatucci said.

“We don’t think anybody did anything wrong. It was a very tragic set of circumstances. The underlying cause (of death) was just undetectable.”

McDonough said the incident was “disturbing.”

“This tragic death of this young man is something we have to look at in terms of how our kids are cared for and to ensure that, no matter what the nature of the program, that appropriate medical procedures are in place to handle what may come up. Our thoughts go out to the young man’s family in Utah.”
http://www.montrosepress.com/articles/2 ... news/2.txt
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 01:25:12 PM »
Caleb wrote weekly. This was his last letter.

I wish I could go back and be a good little boy, a nice little niave church boy who couldn't steal bubble gum without feeling bad about it. I want to wear Sponge bob pj's and Teddy bear slippers and cuddle with my Mommy.
I used to think I was too hard of a gangster that nobody could break me, but they found my weakness and I want to go home. Tell Heather and Marie I miss them. I miss you and love you all so much. Please write back here. I love you.
PS I want my mommy.
Love you're baby boy,
Caleb

http://www.sltrib.com/portlet/article/h ... artImage=1

Letter and photos of Caleb and mom here:
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5879895

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 02:13:21 PM »
No wonder he died.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »
In all fairness, anyone can die pretty quickly from a staph infection. And even when someone suspects that little cold sore is staph, and gets treatment, it's becoming pretty common for the staph to be completely resistant, and the victim dies anyway.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 06:20:25 PM »
More reason not to ignore an INFECTION. Clearly the kid was suseptible to infection. It was in his records.

MRSA used to infect people who had chronic illnesses, but now MRSA is becoming more common in healthy people. These infections can occur among people who are likely to have cuts or wounds and who have close contact with one another, such as members of sports teams. This type of MRSA is called community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA).

Community-associated MRSA commonly causes skin infections, such as boils, abscesses, or cellulitis. Often, people think they have been bitten by a spider or insect. Because MRSA infections can become serious in a short amount of time, it is important to see your doctor right away if you notice a boil or other skin problem.
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Meth ... A-Overview

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 07:03:15 PM »
This is why I chose to wait (and encourage others to do so) for the details to surface before pointing the finger and blaming anyone each time a child gets sick, gets hurt or dies.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 07:20:15 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
This is why I chose to wait (and encourage others to do so) for the details to surface before pointing the finger and blaming anyone each time a child gets sick, gets hurt or dies.
:question:

Text book death in a wilderness program, "He was alive and then he died, Whatever happened we're not responsible"
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 08:15:42 PM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
:question:

Text book death in a wilderness program, "He was alive and then he died, Whatever happened we're not responsible"

I do understand that it is a knee jerk reaction,here, to blame the school.
Yes, people are alive and then they die, text book.  Sometimes people are responsible for another’s death..... Sometimes they are not.  We have a system in place which helps to determine this.  Let us let them do their job...why is everyone so anxious to have the wilderness program to be blamed?  I am sure the counselors feel bad enough, as it is, without others throwing stones......Why not base our conclusions on facts and findings?  Lets give people the time to do their jobs...........

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 08:37:18 PM »

Who, next time you get an infection, please "wait" to see a doctor until it's too late to treat. A parent could go to jail for this.
What other "details". The only detail left is for Caleb's mother to hire the most informed industry attorney she can find and sue them out of existence.
Perhaps you could do some research determine how their staff are "trained to identify medical problems in youth". First Aid class? No staff nurse? No doctor on call? Why it wasn't "detectable" to staff, but was to others.

Here's the details.
Personnel at the camp, Alternative Young Adventures, observed signs of the infection, according to a state agency, but neglected to properly care for it. The state of Colorado suspended the company's license this week.

Boyd said Jensen had been susceptible to infections, particularly on his face, ever since he was a toddler and contracted impetigo, a common skin infection in young children. The state of Utah had Jensen's medical history, Boyd said, before it sent him to the camp.

The family does not know where her son was pronounced dead. Boyd said she did not receive any information from the coroner investigating her son's death until she hired an attorney.

Boyd said she saw her son's body for the first since he left Utah on Tuesday, the day before his funeral. He had sores on the outside of his mouth, Boyd said.

Staff members are trained to identify medical conditions in the youths, according to Palatucci, and medical assistance is always available.
"They're very used to adolescents with behavioral problems, but also with claims of medical conditions," he said.  "They have to know how to recognize symptoms and problems and the track record has been that they've been able to do that very well.
"Our contention is that this medical condition was just something that was not easily detectable."
“We plan to contest the suspension. We firmly believe the staff did everything appropriately and correctly and there were no obvious signs that this juvenile was distressed."
“We don’t think anybody did anything wrong. It was a very tragic set of circumstances. The underlying cause (of death) was just undetectable.”

“It’s the department’s belief the child reported symptoms of observable signs of infection that were neglected and he was denied proper medical treatment,” Liz McDonough, Colorado Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman said Friday.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 09:09:47 PM »
Deborah wrote:
Who, next time you get an infection, please "wait" to see a doctor until it's too late to treat……. The only detail left is for Caleb's mother to hire the most informed industry attorney she can find and sue them out of existence.

Very intelligent, just sue everyone…again you play the judge and jury before the evidence is released…you show your prejudice too well…why not post the names and pictures of the staff members on the internet to discredit them and form a lynch mob to hang them.

To give you the benefit of the doubt, though Deborah,  I think you may get too emotionally involved and don’t understand what you are saying.  What really needs to be determined is what the requirements are as far as training in this area and then bounce that off the training that the staff received.  If they did not receive the proper training then this could be an issue for the school.  If they did receive the proper training than we need to proceed to whether or not they reacted in a timely manner and utilized and applied the training they received.  This could be an issue for the staff members.  so you see we need to determine root cause before we can determine who is to blame if anyone.  If it is determine that the child would die anyway even in the best of circumstances and medical availability then why would you want to sue the school or staff members?  If the school was negligent then there are grounds for recovery.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 09:10:27 PM »

Oh Please the US is a first world country. If you asked the average reasonable American on the St whether it was possible for a kid to die of a simple infection they would laugh. But on a wilderness adventure it is completely unremarkable and thus no culpability lies with tjose who had a legal duty of care?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 09:15:10 PM »
I do understand that it is a knee jerk reaction,here, to blame the school. Yes, people are alive and then they die, text book.

Sounds like your philosophy may have changed since you warehoused your kid to keep her alive.

Sometimes people are responsible for another’s death..... sometimes they are not.

And sometimes they are, and walk away with no punishment.

...why is everyone so anxious to have the wilderness program to be blamed?

Oh... I don't know. Maybe it's our bias showing again. Or, the 'fact' that 44 kids would still be alive, if not for their wilderness death therapy. 60 if you add the boot camps deaths. How many were convicted? Five, six?
I hope Caleb's mother stumbles across Fornits or any of the other sites and realizes that this is not an 'isolated', 'freak' incident. Medical neglect is second only to restraint for cause of death.

I am sure the counselors feel bad enough, as it is, without others throwing stones......

As they should. Tough lesson. Perhaps they should sue the program for not adequately training them to diagnose infection. With luck, they'll find their way here too and discover how they were used by the program.

Why not base our conclusions on facts and findings?

How bout you stop trying to control others?

Here's a new slogan for the Wilderness Industry...
Kid going off the tracks? Back-talkin? Experimenting with drugs and friends you don't like? Failing algebra?

Forget the tutors and therapists and sign your kid up today for a
Near Death Experience
Disclaimer: We can't guarentee your kid will survive, but if s/he does, we can almost guarentee that s/he will figure out how to get back on the tracks.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 09:23:38 PM »
This idea that those responsible for a death having feelings of guilt is punishment enough to avoid facing a court is absurd. if someone accidentally kills someone in a bar brawl often they feel *really bad*. The judge often even takes this into account in sentencing. What the judge does not do is let the person walk without penalty.

Tell us who what measurement are you using for the staffs bad feelings if you feel the legal justice system is not the right one? Does the person cry? tell everyone the kid was awful and it was a window of loss situation? Go to religious service? post on an internet forum about their heartbreak? or just do what the henry family did and treat the whole thing as a joke and then go work for sagewalk. What is your criteria for "feeling bad"
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen