Author Topic: Anybody got the low down on Phoenix House?  (Read 2774 times)

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Anybody got the low down on Phoenix House?
« on: May 03, 2007, 01:01:42 PM »
I heard them mentioned in a abc story last night.... Doing a search it appears as if ABC news uses phoenix house in many of their stories.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:03:56 PM »
I hear they've got some fine hookers at the Phoenix house!  :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Phoenix House Info
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 01:09:19 PM »
Phoenix House was, in around 2000, a one-year program. Highly structured, with groups similar to cedu's raps and at least one intense profeet-type experience. Mostly court-ordered kids end up in the juvenile program.
Phoenix House operates all over the US with programs even in the jail system. There are both adult and juvenile programs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 01:11:07 PM »
I think they have a synonan connection.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:13:19 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I think they have a synonan (sic) connection.

Don't they all?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 01:17:48 PM »
Yeah, but this is a bit more of a connection than average

http://http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=20644

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
They were one of the earliest offshoots from Synanon, around the same time as Daytop, but don't quote me on that.  Synanon considered them "competition," as many of their offshoots competed for the same Grant monies and clientele (back before Synanon started taking in "Straight Gamers" and evolved into more of a "lifestyle" option).  Believe Phoenix House started in NYC.  Then expanded to many centers everywhere.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 09:42:27 PM »
I remember when I used to live in NYC phoenix house used to come to my grade chool for "drug awareness" seminars, lecturing us on the dangers of drugs. We took ungraded quizzes that were multiple choice or True/False, that gave us information about different narcotics, and I remember that those quizzes were so easy, because it was totally obvious which question they wanted you to answer, because it sounded the most scripted.

The only one I remember was something about how angel dust is the most dangerous drug around.

Due to the fact that I was only 12 at the time, I certainly didn't have the savvy to understand how full of it they were. I thought they were cool.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 09:59:48 PM »

Your friendly, neighborhood D.A.R.E. Officer is on patrol!

Offline Fr. Cassian

• View Profile
    • http://goat.cx
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 10:19:22 PM »
Thank the everloving Lord Jesus Christ for that!!
I am a priest of GOD!

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 11:29:53 PM »
Is the dare cop an actual cop or odes he just get to wear a cop like uniform?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 02:15:17 AM »
No, it's not pretend. A real live, often armed, county sheriff comes to deliver a psycological program session once or more a week.

They use puppets and other gimmicks to teach the kids a viewpoint under the pretense of teaching them drug and alcohol resistance. They deny to the end that they use the program to weedle information out of the kids. But a teacher at my daughter's elementary school told us about  the supposedly confidential "concerns box". They instruct the kids to write down any concerns they may have about friends and family drug involvement and assure them that it's anonymous. When they find something juicy, Well what do you think? Human nature takes over and a super-hero savior of the children adrenaline rush eclipses over whatever dismal intellectual capacity of which someone who would volunteer for such a position might once have been possessed. They take the note to the 3rd or 4th grade teacher for handwriting analysis.

I saw a DEA agent on video saying "Oh yeah, we get a whole lot of our good leads from the DARE cops!"

DARE is not classified as curriculum. It's classified as a psychological program. Parents are supposed to have to sign consent for it. That's often overlooked. And they get uuuuuuugly! if you call them on it!
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 10:41:27 AM »
Ginger, to me what's so upsetting is how these (for the most part) unwitting children are fed outright lies, nevermind about the reality behind our drug laws... And then to consider the potential outcome resulting from the snitching...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 10:57:25 AM »
That certificate that the officer is handing that girl is a pledge to not do drugs ever that they have the kids sign. What's the difference between this an abstinence programs that work with the same shame/guilt routine? Well I guess one big difference is the guns. We had it in fifth grade and they were most definitely armed. I remember because that's all we talked about after. Hey did you see his gun?! Cool!! Kids.  :roll:

See at that age, cops are still cool. Half the class still answers - to the inevitable, what do you want to be when you grow up - with fireman or policeman. There is a reason it's done in fifth grade. Maturity. With maturity comes a realization that cops, most definitely, not cool.

They hit the kids from all sides. They make the promise, using their naive sense of child like honor to hold them hostage to not wanting to break their precious word (how cute!). Second they work on fear, telling the kids you'll die and become addicted. I think that is the most effective one, I meet up with people who still ramble on about that scare tactic shit (remember TSW saying watch out for PCP laced weed, where do you think that rumor comes from?).

You can't forget a healthy dose of shaming either. They portray drug users as bums, losers and malcontents. Funny they left out the wall street broker doing lines with beautiful exotic woman in his high rise office in that presentation. They left out rock stars. They must of forget famous sports players. Must of also forgot about the president too, woopsie!

Truth is many if not most parents still believe this shit too. That's why they're sending their kids to programs in the first place. They think that their kid smoking pot will lead to a drug overdose, because it's a gateway drug. Or that dropping acid or eating a few caps now and again is somehow going to make you go crazy and jump off a bridge. These are all rumors implanted in the psyche of America at a very young age, and the only way to counteract them is to try the damn drugs everyone is so scared of and realize.. hey.. they aren't as scary as I was told. I wonder what else I was taught was complete horse shit? Let the journey begin.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 11:08:19 AM »
Truth is many if not most parents still believe this shit too. That's why they're sending their kids to programs in the first place. They think that their kid smoking pot will lead to a drug overdose, because it's a gateway drug. Or that dropping acid or eating a few caps now and again is somehow going to make you go crazy and jump off a bridge. These are all rumors implanted in the psyche of America at a very young age, and the only way to counteract them is to try the damn drugs everyone is so scared of and realize.. hey.. they aren't as scary as I was told. I wonder what else I was taught was complete horse shit? Let the journey begin.

Man, I don't know who you are (for obvious reasons) but I couldn't have said it any better! Way too many ignorant parents willing to go along with the mindrape (or at least enough to keep it from dying). America Eats Its Young..