Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Teen Challenge

To those who find this forum...

(1/6) > >>

Firebird81:
I know there are many people who rely on the internet today to research organizations they may wish to have dealings with, either by supporting or, in the case of Teen Challenge, more commonly, in  a search for help for themselves or a loved one.

I think it is very important to make all of you aware of the two most common motives people have for attacking Teen Challenge. The first is former students who dropped out of the program. One such student now runs a website claiming to expose Southern California Teen Challenge---the very center I graduated from and the very district I worked for as a student advisor for 5 years. Many dropouts do leave angry. Change is hard. And Teen Challenge sets very high standards for success.

The second and uglier motive for attacking Teen Challenge is a relatively new one. And it is politically based, driven oftentimes by left wing organizations and special interests opposed to Bush's faith-based initiative. Teen Challenge is the primary target of these people for two reasons, neither of which are Teen Challenge's fault. First---It was an incident in Texas where certain entites took it upon themselves to try to run TC out of the state. George Bush was Goverenor and stepped in to protect the program. Why? Did Bush stand alone? Absolutely not! Most texans knew Teen Challenge's reputation and exemplary record of helping addicts and found it absurd that such a great program that has done so much good could have it's doors shut because of some legal loophole.

This incident is what inspired Bush's federal faith based plan. Secualr and staterun programs are huge failures at rehabilitation, yet Teen Challenge showed much higher successes. Of course, since TC was the very basis for Bush's program ( not a RECIPIENT. TC would not qualify for funds thru this initiative!), political opponents proceeded to tear apart the initial study conducted on TC. The resulting hoopla has led to the usual nonsense and blogs and expose's--you name it. Of course, several other studies have also been conducted and repeatedly show 65-70% cure rates for graduates of the program. And, contrary to what you read here, a far higher percentage of people graduate TC than any other program I know of.

There is a third motive and that is one of anti-Christian sentiment, particularly anti-pentecostal sentiment. The reasons behind this are due completely to religious differences of belief.

Teen Challenge is largely run by former addicts. The programis based around not only introducing one to Christ, but teaching Chrisitan principles to be applied to daily life. It's not for everyone. TC does not hold people against their will. When someone says they want to leave, they are allowed to go.

Teen Challenge is overall a great program and I credit it with saving my life from over a decade of hardcore drug addiction, a life that had me shooting meth in my veins, living on the streets and in and out of state prison. I would be dead today were it not for Teen Challenge. If you or a loved one are considering TC to get help in, then please ignore the garbage you see on the very few websites attacking this organization and do what is in your best interest and call your local center.

Karly:
For those who want to see that others have a problem with Teen Challenge, please check out the thread on Teen Challenge at Topix.net- http://http://www.topix.net/forum/city/minneapolis-mn/TN94VATH520HE9UQM

Karly

Karly:
I'd also like to make another comment to your statement regarding how you say that:
--- Quote ---"Teen Challenge is largely run by former addicts"
--- End quote ---
 Please make note that Teen Challenge is also run by MANY ex-cons who did not do jail time and chose Teen Challenge instead!

Karly

Firebird81:
Please do, you will see that most of the replies in that thread are from people who successfully completed that program and hold TC in high regard. There is a very vocal little circle of people who are showing up at all of the same places on the internet making the same accusations. Karly, you still haven't taken up my offer. You obviously are NOT interested in knowing the truth.

Karly:
Your offer?  Offer for what?  To argue?  No thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version