Author Topic: Peninsula Village Q/A thread  (Read 41517 times)

Offline Hrt2hrtScandal

• View Profile
Peninsula Village Q/A thread
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
What sort of social interactions where you allowed in the STU?

ie.. could you talk to other "patients"?

How about recreational activities ie. tv, playing board games, reading books etc Is that allowed in the STU?

In girls lock-down staff had to be aware of all conversations. Depending on what staff was there or what mood they were in If you got caught talking you either had to turn and face the wall, go to seclusion or have an hour of silence (which would turn into another hour if you broke your silence)
No books, TV, or music allowed in STU.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Hrt2hrtScandal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 07:03:01 PM »
Ok sounds like you just sat around twiddling your thumbs for a minimum of 6 weeks.

Did you have, or see, any acting out due to boredom in the STU?

Lots of people would just fall asleep from medication and boredom and when this happened they got put "on hard chair" as punishment. If you fell asleep you were not allowed to sit on your bed. You would have to get the hard chair and take it with you every where you went. When we had school, it was on our bed in STU. Not many girls are in STU for six weeks. I was there for six months.

Offline Hrt2hrtScandal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »
I'm going to guess that school isn't happening for STU "patients"?

Also.. for my question:

On what grounds did they "claim" a restraint was called for?

If you got off your bed without permission they said you were an elopement threat and you could be restrained for that. During a restraint we all had to go to the trusted area and sit with our heads between our legs. In girls STU there were restraints at least every other day and I thought most of them were unfair and unnecessary. The technique they used is called CTCI  and it seems to be unreasonably harsh to me. I saw lots of unfortunate bruises and cuts from restraints. I still have scars on my face from a restraint.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 09:42:47 PM »
Ok I was trained in the Cornell Method of Theraputic Crisis Intervention (spelling). First the thing that I do know there is a verbal component.

Very few restraints involving TCI happen so quickly that the verbal component can't be utilized. This verbal component is called verbal de-escalation, and the process is as follows:

You identify the resident is in a crisis situation where he is potentially causing harm to self, others or property of significant value. First you attempt to communicate with him or her.

I never would have attempted a restraint without attempting to resolve the crisis verbally.
This can be a simple series of questions.

1) Are you ok?
2) What can I do to help you?

These questions aren't rocket science, but they are designed to stop the crisis and get the client engaged in a meaningful dialogue. Even the most violent of situations needed some sort of verbal component.

Two kids fighting:

1) Break it up boys.

A kid cutting on himself:

1) Maybe you should set that down? Lets have a talk about this ok?

PeeVee seems to have taken the CTCI method and totally perverted it for their own uses. Seriously... getting up off your bed in no way constitutes a deliberate attempt to run away. Nor should running away immediately result in a restraint.

There is still the verbal component.

1) Stretching your legs?
2) Have to go the bathroom?
3) You ok?
4) Want to talk?

Verbal de-escalation is designed to prevent restraints from even occuring. If my memory serves me correctly TCI was created to minimize the actual number of restraints. Not to be used by a crop of goons to batter someone senseless.

Ok rant over... next question..

What determined you were finished with the STU, and who made that decision?
am the metal pig.

Offline DieYuppieScum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 12:05:31 AM »
"What determined you were finished with the STU, and who made that decision?"

Depended... some kids never reach the cabin program and are released simply because their insurence can't cover it anymore. Usualy kids were in STU for a month or two... then the treatment team would decide what clan fit you best. There were only two options for girls at the time of my stay... the frogs and coyotes... but with the boy side there were three options, the bat clan, the bear clan and the hawk clan
a href=\"http://photobucket.com\" target=\"_blank\">\"Photo

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 07:40:50 AM »
Was that determination made objectively, based on factual evidence, or subjectively, based on the instincts of the staff?
am the metal pig.

Offline Hrt2hrtScandal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 10:03:39 AM »
Ok I was trained in the Cornell Method of Theraputic Crisis Intervention (spelling). First the thing that I do know there is a verbal component.

Very few restraints involving TCI happen so quickly that the verbal component can't be utilized. This verbal component is called verbal de-escalation, and the process is as follows:

You identify the resident is in a crisis situation where he is potentially causing harm to self, others or property of significant value. First you attempt to communicate with him or her.

I never would have attempted a restraint without attempting to resolve the crisis verbally.
This can be a simple series of questions.

1) Are you ok?
2) What can I do to help you?

These questions aren't rocket science, but they are designed to stop the crisis and get the client engaged in a meaningful dialogue. Even the most violent of situations needed some sort of verbal component.

Two kids fighting:

1) Break it up boys.

A kid cutting on himself:

1) Maybe you should set that down? Lets have a talk about this ok?

PeeVee seems to have taken the CTCI method and totally perverted it for their own uses. Seriously... getting up off your bed in no way constitutes a deliberate attempt to run away. Nor should running away immediately result in a restraint.

There is still the verbal component.

1) Stretching your legs?
2) Have to go the bathroom?
3) You ok?
4) Want to talk?

Verbal de-escalation is designed to prevent restraints from even occuring. If my memory serves me correctly TCI was created to minimize the actual number of restraints. Not to be used by a crop of goons to batter someone senseless.

Ok rant over... next question..

when there was a restraint there were people running everywhere and sirens going off. Usually by the time the restraint was about to happen the verbal part of it became more abusive almost like they were upsetting girls on purpose to get them restrained.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 05:36:09 AM »
Was that determination made objectively, based on factual evidence, or subjectively, based on the instincts of the staff?
am the metal pig.

Offline Hrt2hrtScandal

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 09:51:11 AM »

It did not seem like anything that happened in STU was based on factual evidence. It seemed to be all very random. Based on FACTUAL evidence I should not have been in PV at all.

Offline DieYuppieScum

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2007, 04:03:45 PM »
Based on FACTUAL evidence PV woulden't have existed at all
a href=\"http://photobucket.com\" target=\"_blank\">\"Photo

Offline Hrt2hrtScandal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 06:57:35 PM »

Treatment Team (mostly made up of staff and some people who had advanced above staff and a couple of clinicians) decided when you finished STU. It was based on trust and how you worked your  program.

Offline Hrt2hrtScandal

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2007, 07:06:31 PM »
Quote from: ""Hrt2hrtScandal""

Treatment Team (mostly made up of staff and some people who had advanced above staff and a couple of clinicians) decided when you finished STU. It was based on trust and how you worked your  program.

I think I mentioned this before, but I never got out of STU.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2007, 08:23:18 PM »
So there was no attempt at setting up a data collection to measure the progress of the "patient" during his or her time in the STU?

By this I mean a point system. X number of points for observed behaviors equals promotion to the next level.

Also thanks for being patient. I know my questions at times might seem inconsquential, but if you think about it not many of us know much of anything about PV. I believe the more information we can bring out during the interview the better. It can really help us paint a clearer picture.
am the metal pig.

Offline Hrt2hrtScandal

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2007, 08:49:59 PM »
So there was no attempt at setting up a data collection to measure the progress of the "patient" during his or her time in the STU?

By this I mean a point system. X number of points for observed behaviors equals promotion to the next level.

Also thanks for being patient. I know my questions at times might seem inconsquential, but if you think about it not many of us know much of anything about PV. I believe the more information we can bring out during the interview the better. It can really help us paint a clearer picture.

There did not seem to be. I got my level 2 for a short time but was put back for "laughing at a hearing impaired girl" who I believe was actually mentally retarded. I know that is not the politcally correct term and actually we were not laughing at the girl. It was a situation where we were going to get in trouble for that or for something else.After I left PV I talked to some other girls who were there when I was and they all agreed this girl was severely impaired. I only mention this because I found out later that PV is not supposed to take kids with issues like hers.

Inconsequential? I think not.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2007, 08:56:42 PM »
Now this is going to seem really mundane, but it will give myself and others an overall clearer picture of your time in STU.

In STU,

When eating your meals did you leave the STU or were they brought to you?

Describe the showering and bathing situation.

Can you give a bit of a breakdown on how the day would run for an average day in the STU?

I know you've already stated that all you did in the STU was sit on your bed all day. However, I think it would be helpful if one of you could post up a rough timeline of a day in the life of an STU "patient".

For example.

6:00 Wake up to 6:15 make bed, get dressed, do basic hygiene
6:15 to 7:00 line up, do head count, go to dining hall for breakfast:
etc. etec.

I believe that by doing this an even more accurate picture of the STU situation will be avaliable.

Thank you.
am the metal pig.