Author Topic: over the g w movie  (Read 2732 times)

Offline basketball

• View Profile
over the g w movie
« on: April 20, 2007, 10:28:14 PM »
check out the disturbing trailer.

it is long overdue that a movie has now exposed the abuse and torture of children at straight.

lets get copies to send to all our friends, family and church groups, you know the ones    . . . . the ones that turned their backs on us
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Karass

• View Profile
over the g w movie
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 12:55:14 PM »
I'm still waiting for the release of "Self-Medicated" and thought I'd have to wait for this one too. But it turns out you can buy the DVD for "Over The GW" online directly from the distributor.

http://www.7thart.com/joomla/
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
over the g w movie
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 04:22:08 PM »
Excellent!  I emailed the "over the GW" crew, asking some questions about it.  At the time, I think distribution was a major block.

I've been waiting for Self-Medicated for ages...loved the preview, especially the breakout.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
over the g w movie
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 05:52:22 PM »
Damn that's expensive!

Does anyone know if it'll play in the UK?
You might be better off going to play.com or somehwre similar as they're fairly cheap

I really want to see this movie though .... did anyone notice it's labelled as fiction??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
over the g w movie
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 05:54:27 PM »
It's kind of disturbing that trailer you are right. Watching it being played out in real makes the absurd real again, the easily dismissable as forgotten or colored memories thrown back into your face, and you realize, yes it was very much real and was just as crazy as you remember it .

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
over the g w movie
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 10:08:46 PM »
Quote from: ""exhausted""

I really want to see this movie though .... did anyone notice it's labelled as fiction??

It is "fictionalized", with names changed and dramatizations, but the "fiction" tag is a convenient way to avoid lawsuits. You know, "Any similarities to persons living or dead..."
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Karass

• View Profile
over the g w movie
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 08:18:14 PM »
The DVD arrived today and I watched it. Very disturbing but very well done.

A must-see for program parents or potential program parents and advocates. As for survivors, I would say maybe some of you don't really want to watch this -- it will be a painful trip down memory lane that you might not want to take.

I don't know how Nick Gaglia had the stomach for this project, re-creating the hell he went through at KIDS in all its gruesome detail. But I'm glad he was able to do it and I hope he sells lots of copies. It was well worth the $40.
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
over the g w movie
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 08:30:41 AM »
Thanks for the first hand review, I've had similar concerns now and again, wondering what is the point after seeing it in real life.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
over the g w movie
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 09:32:06 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Thanks for the first hand review, I've had similar concerns now and again, wondering what is the point after seeing it in real life.

It helps to get it into the public consciousness, to legitimize people's concerns and outrage, and to force people to take a look, who might otherwise write it off as "just teenage discontent."
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
over the g w movie
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 09:41:09 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
It helps to get it into the public consciousness, to legitimize people's concerns and outrage, and to force people to take a look, who might otherwise write it off as "just teenage discontent."

Can be a bear of a task at times, eh?  :lol:

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
over the g w movie
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 11:50:18 AM »
Here's a movie Die Yuppie Scum told me was good, and it's amazing Mickey Mouse has a better grip on what's going on than a lot of people.  It's a Disney film called "Holes", about a teen prison/WTF.  It's couched in comedy, but the undercurrent points out the abuses of these programs - lousy food, denial of water as punishment, forced labor, trouble with mail...I can't say too much more without making this a spoiler.  It's got a good cast - Jon Voight as Mr. Sir, Sigourney Weaver, Patricia Arquette.

Check it out - it's got an ending former program kids will dig.