Author Topic: Virginia Tech shootings  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
Virginia Tech shootings
« on: April 20, 2007, 04:31:53 PM »
I'm surprised that no one has brought this up yet.

But, what happened at Virginia Tech?

Some will say "Seung-Hui was bullied in high school.  Teased about his shyness".  Some will blame our racial biases and refusal to assimilate minorities into mainstream culture.

Some will say "Seung-Hui suffered from a severe psychiatric disorder.  It was exacerbated by living outside his culture of origin".  

Some will blame his parents.

Some will point fingers at the "system".  Ya know the teachers and school counselors who saw the red flags, but failed to provide intervention.

My view is more eclectic.  No one massacres 30 plus people unless there are many interfacing mitigating factors.  

Is this a phenomena of this age?  Did people go postal hundreds of years ago?  Rhetorical questions ....

Whatever the cause ... the result is so bewildering.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Virginia Tech shootings
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 04:43:52 PM »
Did you hear his voice on the video? He sounds like he is retarded or autistic or something. I read an article saying in high school he was forced to read a story out loud by the teacher and his strange voice caused the entire class to burst out laughing and yelling things like 'go back to china'. I am going with a combination of crazy and pissed off, makes for a dangerous combination.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Virginia Tech shootings
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 05:20:22 PM »
Two plays that he wrote for one or two English classes (he was an English major) dealt with the protagonist being sexually molested.  In one it was a father that was the perpetrator, in the other one it was a teacher.  In one of the plays, the tormentor ends up killing the protagonist.

One of the teachers was so unnerved by his work that she felt it was best to continue the class by tutoring him separately, outside of the classroom, one-on-one.  She described him always wearing sunglasses to their sessions, and that it appeared as though he might be crying behind the glasses.

Whatever his reality was, I am sure it was far more complex and disturbing than we know at the present time.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline BROWNIE

• View Profile
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BSTEVE0044/
Re: Virginia Tech shootings
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 05:32:20 PM »
"Truth Searcher"]I'm surprised that no one has brought this up yet.

But, what happened at Virginia Tech?

Is this a phenomena of Whatever the cause ...

An Insiain human.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Virginia Tech shootings
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 05:36:07 PM »
By Stephen King

EDITORS' NOTE: In the wake of the Virginia Tech murders and subsequent reports that Cho Seung-Hui had raised alarms in the English department with his writing, we asked novelist and Entertainment Weekly contributing editor Stephen King for his thoughts on the links between the creative process and violence. Where, exactly, does one draw the line between imagination and disturbing expression that should raise red flags?

I've thought about it, of course. Certainly in this sensitized day and age, my own college writing — including a short story called ''Cain Rose Up'' and the novel RAGE — would have raised red flags, and I'm certain someone would have tabbed me as mentally ill because of them, even though I interacted in class, never took pictures of girls' legs with my cell phone (in 1970, WHAT cell phones?), and never signed my work with a ?.

As a teacher, I had one student — I will call him George — who raised red flags galore in my own mind: stories about flaying women alive, dismemberment, and, the capper, ''getting back at THEM.'' George was very quiet, and verbally inarticulate. It was only in his written work that he spewed these relentless scenes of gore and torture. His job was in the University Bookstore, and when I inquired about him once, I was told he was a good worker, but ''quiet.'' I thought, ''Whoa, if some kid is ever gonna blow, it'll be this one.'' He never did. But that was in the days before a gun-totin' serial killer could get top billing on the Nightly News and possibly the covers of national magazines.

For most creative people, the imagination serves as an excretory channel for violence: We visualize what we will never actually do (James Patterson, for instance, a nice man who has all too often worked the street that my old friend George used to work). Cho doesn't strike me as in the least creative, however. Dude was crazy. Dude was, in the memorable phrasing of Nikki Giovanni, ''just mean.'' Essentially there's no story here, except for a paranoid a--hole who went DEFCON-1. He may have been inspired by Columbine, but only because he was too dim to think up such a scenario on his own.

On the whole, I don't think you can pick these guys out based on their work, unless you look for violence unenlivened by any real talent.
Posted Apr 20, 2007

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Virginia Tech shootings
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:44:48 AM »
Didn't Cho attend some behavioral mod program in Virginia last year?

Also he came to the states at 8 years old. Any assumption that his actions were the result of being seperated from his cultural are farcial.
am the metal pig.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Virginia Tech shootings
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 11:10:41 AM »
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
Didn't Cho attend some behavioral mod program in Virginia last year?

You could say that. It was a few years prior, but his treatment in school sounded a lot like raps. Why would a teacher (role model) for young people allow her class to disparage someone who obviously had some self-esteem/developmental issues? That kind of shit isn't tolerated in the adult professional world (overtly anyway), so why is it allowed in school?

Also he came to the states at 8 years old. Any assumption that his actions were the result of being seperated from his cultural are farcial.

Yeh, that has been suggested, as well as him being dx'd autistic. It's also been reported that he was taking anti-depressants which carry the strong risk of inducing suicidal/homicidal ideation.
My personal opinion, he should have been provided long-term quality therapy instead of given an rx and left to fend for himself.
There's a wiki page with lots of links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cho_Seung-hui
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Virginia Tech shootings
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 03:38:45 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Did you hear his voice on the video?

Do you have a link to the video? I have seen it or been able to find it.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
Virginia Tech shootings
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 03:51:38 PM »
This is just segments of the video .... link to "multimedia manifesto"

Cricketty crick it!
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Virginia Tech shootings
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Quote from: ""Guest""
Did you hear his voice on the video?

Do you have a link to the video? I have seen it or been able to find it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FAXlVXxwGuk