Author Topic: Academy at Swift River - Split from TTI  (Read 22083 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Academy at Swift River - Split from TTI
« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2007, 11:56:49 AM »
Honzomon4 wrote:
I'd say that they do need to be licensed per the definition of special needs children.

I thought so at first read myself, but as you get into it a little I had to
disagree, Hanzo, and so does the state, here is what I am referring to:

They may provide special services, but the kids are not necessarily defined as  “special needs” children as defined by the state.  There is a distinct difference.

…..This may include, but not be limited to, a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.

So there is an evaluation that needs to be done to determine if the child qualifies for services or can be considered “Special needs”.  They also leave the door open in case a parent feels their child deserves to be placed into the “special needs” program and receive services from the state but failed to qualify under the evaluation 71B, that is why they mention “Not limited to” because they do make exceptions on a case–by-case basis if the parents plea a case to the state.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 20, 2007, 12:06:13 PM »
So now youre claiming ASR provides services to kids who don't need it?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
So there is an evaluation that needs to be done to determine if the child qualifies for services or can be considered “Special needs”.  They also leave the door open in case a parent feels their child deserves to be placed into the “special needs” program and receive services from the state but failed to qualify under the evaluation 71B, that is why they mention “Not limited to” because they do make exceptions on a case–by-case basis if the parents plea a case to the state.

Inaccurate.
http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... 182#256182
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 20, 2007, 12:35:16 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

No, not my claim, I cant affect what they do.  This is all determined by the state.  Here check out this link and you will see towards the bottom:

Private Residential Schools not serving children with special needs

After going thru this, one of the problems is using the term special needs.  People can define this anyway they like from a “Academic underachieving to severe mental issues.  But the state has developed a set of requirements that determines if you qualify for services under the different state agencies.  They test the child to determine where he/she stand.  If they fall within the guidelines they are considered “Special needs” children.  ASR can define it anyway they like but it doesn’t mean the state would recognize their definition.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2007, 12:40:06 PM »

No, not my claim, I cant affect what they do.  This is all determined by the state.  Here check out this link and you will see towards the bottom:

Private Residential Schools not serving children with special needs

After going thru this, one of the problems is using the term special needs.  People can define this anyway they like from a “Academic underachieving to severe mental issues.  But the state has developed a set of requirements that determines if you qualify for services under the different state agencies.  They test the child to determine where he/she stand.  If they fall within the guidelines they are considered “Special needs” children.  ASR can define it anyway they like but it doesn’t mean the state would recognize their definition.

What is this "test" you speak of? Are you arguing that ASR is a Private Residential School not serving child with special needs? If so why do they provide special services? Why do they claim to be a theraputic boarding school?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 20, 2007, 12:57:30 PM »
No what I am saying is I can set up a school and say it is for “children of special needs”.  Lets say we take only kids with adoption issues.  Now the state has its own definition of “Special needs”.  These kids receive services from the state, some within the school system, i.e. PT, OT, speech, ABA etc.  In order to qualify for these services your child needs to be evaluated by the state thru…. “an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.  If the child falls under these guide lines he/she is eligible for services and is defined as a special needs student.  If your child does not qualify you can plea your case on a case by case basis because it is not limited to this definition.  Simply being adopted may or may not meet this definition.

So now I have a school for children of special needs (as I call it) but my kids don’t qualify for services because they don’t meet the definition the state set up so I am defined as a “Private boarding school for children without special needs” by the state.  A little confusing at first for me.  

Hope this helps.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 20, 2007, 01:00:56 PM »
No, what you said was that the state tested kids to see if they were special needs.  Show some evidence that this is true.  Post a link.

Or maybe ASR doesn't allow the state tester to test the kids because he might talk dirty to them, like the abuse hotline operator?  Ha,Ha, Ha.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 20, 2007, 01:11:37 PM »
No, what you said was that the state tested kids to see if they were special needs.  Show some evidence that this is true.  Post a link.

Or maybe ASR doesn't allow the state tester to test the kids because he might talk dirty to them, like the abuse hotline operator?  Ha,Ha, Ha.

They do....the child or the childs parents need to request and schedule the test either thru "Early intervention" or if older than the age 3 thru the following evaluation:

an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.  (read my previous post)

If your child has already been defined as "Special needs" in another state and/or has and I.E.P.  I am sure they will consider it and may fall under the "....and not limited to"  clause.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 20, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »
No what I am saying is I can set up a school and say it is for “children of special needs”.  Lets say we take only kids with adoption issues.  Now the state has its own definition of “Special needs”.  These kids receive services from the state, some within the school system, i.e. PT, OT, speech, ABA etc.  In order to qualify for these services your child needs to be evaluated by the state thru…. “an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.  If the child falls under these guide lines he/she is eligible for services and is defined as a special needs student.  If your child does not qualify you can plea your case on a case by case basis because it is not limited to this definition.  Simply being adopted may or may not meet this definition.

So now I have a school for children of special needs (as I call it) but my kids don’t qualify for services because they don’t meet the definition the state set up so I am defined as a “Private boarding school for children without special needs” by the state.  A little confusing at first for me.  

Hope this helps.

You didn't answer any of my questions.

What is this "test" you speak of? Are you arguing that ASR is a Private Residential School not serving child with special needs? If so why do they provide special services? Why do they claim to be a theraputic boarding school?

You also appear to be trying to make the definition youre listing the only criteria needed to be classified as "special needs".

A Child with special needs is a child who, because of a disability consisting of a developmental delay or an emotional, communication, specific learning impairment or combination thereof, is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program. This may include, but not be limited to a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.

So by that definition clearly a child who was dealing with a disability or a developmental delay brought on by an emotional issue would be considered "special needs".

Therapeutic boarding schools specialize in educating troubled teens struggling with behavior, emotional issues, or academics. Boarding schools that specialize in troubled teens offer these teens the opportunity to focus on school and receive individualized attention.

That would appear to meet the definition would it not?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »

We can all sit here and speculate who falls under the definition of "Special Needs".  But the state gets the final say.  Not you or me or ASR.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2007, 01:20:09 PM »
You also appear to be trying to make the definition youre listing the only criteria needed to be classified as "special needs".

No I said if your child doesnt fall under the guide lines of the state and you want your son/daughter defined as "Special needs" you can challenge the results.  That is why they add the clause "and not limited too"  because there are always excepts to the testing.  The testing is the first cut and covers the lions share of the definition.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2007, 01:26:01 PM »

We can all sit here and speculate who falls under the definition of "Special Needs".  But the state gets the final say.  Not you or me or ASR.

Yes, just like the state had the final say when it cited ASR twice for violating the law.

Funny how you tried to have the final say on that one, huh?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 20, 2007, 01:28:09 PM »
We can all sit here and speculate who falls under the definition of "Special Needs". But the state gets the final say. Not you or me or ASR.

We don't need to speculate, they spell it out for us quite clearly.

A Child with special needs is a child who, because of a disability consisting of a developmental delay or an emotional, communication, specific learning impairment or combination thereof, is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program. This may include, but not be limited to a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.

Would you agree that this definition of those kids suited to a TBS would meet that definition. I'm asking for your opinion not anything the state says.

Therapeutic boarding schools specialize in educating troubled teens struggling with behavior, emotional issues, or academics. Boarding schools that specialize in troubled teens offer these teens the opportunity to focus on school and receive individualized attention.

No I said if your child doesnt fall under the guide lines of the state and you want your son/daughter defined as "Special needs" you can challenge the results. That is why they add the clause "and not limited too" because there are always excepts to the testing. The testing is the first cut and covers the lions share of the definition.

Okay so we can then agree that the state lays out clear cut terms in addition to providing some sort of test for parents who feel their child didnt fall under the primary definition. So we can then also agree that ASR is providing services to kids who meet the primary definition. Correct?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 20, 2007, 01:51:09 PM »

Yes, they do.

Special Services are any services provided to children with special needs by a private residential school that are special education services similar to those referred to at 603 CMR 18.05(3)(a) and (b); or social, psychological or psychiatric services; or self-help skills or activities of daily living training.

A Child with special needs is a child who, because of a disability consisting of a developmental delay or an emotional, communication, specific learning impairment or combination thereof, is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program. This may include, but not be limited to, a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.

Now we know that ASR claims to teach social/self-help skills and provides psych services and assessments. We also know that they advertise to treat a host of psych disorders from the DSM manual. They claim to specialize in kids with "emotional, communication, specific learning impairment or combination thereof".

What's so hard about understanding this. And NO, the state doesn't come in and test the kids in RTCs to see if they're special needs unless the kid is a resident of the state and it's been requested or required by their IEP.

There is some other reason ASR remains unlicensed and I believe the answer is in the documentation resulting from the negotiation with the attorneys from ASR and EEC. That documentation should be mined from the archives of EEC if we are to really know why EEC backed off. Perhaps ASR threatened to sue them, and without documented evidence, EEC backed off. Not uncommon. We need a parent(s) with recent dealings with ASR to provide documentation to EEC. Anyone reading willing to do that? PM me for details.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:15:21 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 20, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »
We've settled this and the state agreed(ed) with us. Just because ASR wants it "Both Ways" don't make it legal. They serve kids with special needs with special services. If they claim that this isn't so then they're running afoul of the law by making group therapy mandatory and using rule exemptions as defined in the regulations I posted.

Deborah, can someone just call EEC and ask for the details regarding ASR licensing(or lack thereof)?
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]