Author Topic: L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90  (Read 22534 times)

Offline xvipah

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2007, 08:27:33 PM »
Nice picture on the web site Dave, you're looking good.

Weird that you found this place not long after we were talking about you, I'll email ya soon.

-Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2007, 08:51:24 PM »
Good deal Mike.  I look forward to hearing from you.  DBY

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2007, 09:19:17 PM »
John Devilla
Tony (the bench pisser)
Greg Deters
JW McCullough
Sean Costello
Greg Sampey
Lorna (the hot staffer)
Donnie
Joel (the kid who slit his wrists on the benches)
Matt Rheinghans
Tony Enger
Jed Nesbitt
Judd Willard
Chase Willard
Chris Budlong
Kelly Johnson
Courtney McGowan
Beth (from Charleston)
Jessica (from Charleston)
John Hyland (dec)
Ben Applegate
Mark Van Osdall (dec?)
Steve (gay Sr. staffer)
Mandy Morrison
Chris Blackwell
Melissa Trausneck
Walter W
Chuck (with Nazi tatoos)
Troy
Kyle Dent
Fritz?
Chris Crosby
Carlos (big dude who threatened to stab me in the neck with a pencil if I went to sleep)
Sean Milligan
Joe Strong?(the Chronic masturbater from Port Charlotte)
Preston Marshall
Yvette
Nick Zoller
Vicki

Offline xvipah

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2007, 09:34:51 PM »
Dang..

How do you remember all those names? Once I saw them, most of the faces came to mind, but I could never remember the names off the top of my head.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2007, 10:56:33 PM »
I remember most of those people.  I went through my phases with quite a few of them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #140 on: July 26, 2007, 01:13:13 PM »
I bet those people sure appreciate having their names posted on this site and associated with a bogus and abusive drug treatment center.

Nice going asshole.
 :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #141 on: July 26, 2007, 01:17:02 PM »
Who is this?  We probably went through our phases together also.  

Mike S. , Can you think of any others?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2007, 01:49:25 PM »
Helen Petermann

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Peterman ... 12180.aspx

According to the Saint Petersburg Times of February 12, 1978 two former Straight counselors (in sworn statements) said they had seen Straight program director Helen R. Petermann repeatedly slap a small youth and yanked him by his hair in an apparent outburst of temper. "I saw maybe five good smacks," one ex-counselor had said.. Another bizarre allegation was made by two former Straight staffers who said that Ms Petermann once demonstrated different positions of sexual intercourse to a group of female clients, some in their early teens.
Two former counselors said that Ms. Petermann allegedly prepared two documents to scare clients into remaining at Straight. One was reportedly signed from the police department. After the kid had signed the document, the two had alleged, he was told by Ms. Petermann, "Ah ha! Now we've got you. If you don't stay here now and you run away, we're gonna' send you away to Marianna (state juvenile home)." An ex-counselor claimed that Ms. Petermann had threatened at least one other juvenile in the same manner. [Miller Newton once reportedly threatened a child in a similar manner in front of two HRS officers.]
The report acknowledged that Helen Petermann once struck an "hysterical and out-of-control" program client. "We do not condone the action from Mrs. Petermann, but it is not such a severe infraction that would create (her) severance," board president Melvin Sembler had reportedly said.
"Helen did not think it was an infraction at the time,"

Oh yeah, sweet lady.
 :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2007, 01:57:05 PM »
"Helen Petermann once struck an "hysterical and out-of-control" program client. "

So that was you, huh???...I'm sure you didn't deserve it.  Yeah, right!  You were that "kid on the floor" for a reason!  

But, don't you think it is about time to let it go?  I know a great 7...I mean 12 step program that could help you with all that resentment!  It must suck to still be so angry about something that happened to you 18 years ago.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2007, 02:02:16 PM »
No, I wasn't the kid on the floor.  I was the one watching in horror, scared that I might be next for not keeping my feet flat on the floor.  God knows that's a horrible sin that deserves the harshest of punishments. :roll:   No one deserves to be treated like that, least of all children.

I'm not still angry about what happened 20 or more years ago.  I'm angry about the fact that the people who started and perpetuated these abusive mindrape mills are actually effecting public policy today.  That's a frightening enough thought.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2007, 02:23:06 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
"Helen Petermann once struck an "hysterical and out-of-control" program client. "

Funny how that's the only example you respond to.  The one about those damn disgruntled druggie kids!

Here's a few more....

Three resigned in mass in August 1977 and made a joint statement that, neither Hartz nor Petermann "have the necessary qualifications to rehabilitate preteens or teens who have a drug or alcohol problem".
When questioned by The Times regarding the disgruntled former board members, Mrs. Petermann had responded, "I sure wish they would get off my back.
[/color]

Oh!  Here's her "qualifications" for dealing with those damn delinquents.

When her husband resigned she told a reporter at the Saint Petersburg Times in December 1977 that, "they (juveniles) are Straight while they’re there, but it’s out of fear." She further stated that several former program counselors and clients had told her that juveniles have been mistreated while in the program. A former program volunteer told a Times reporter in December 1977 that she, Hartz and others once witnessed Mrs. Petermann maliciously kicking a youth who was passively resisting Straight officials.

He had reportedly said that "cussing and swearing" in therapy sessions to force clients to bare their true feelings--one of the criticisms of The Seed--is the product of "untrained, unsupervised and unqualified staff--it’s not going to happen here."

Ms. Petermann was not a high school graduate but a 1978 report card on her by the board of directors noted "[she] has 3 ½ years experience in a drug program."
Since Director Hartz had no special training in The Seed's therapeutic methods, it would appear to this writer that much of the training that Jim Hartz and Helen Petermann received on The Seed's therapeutic methods would have to have come from the six young Seed graduates.
The 1978 report had noted that Ms. Petermann is well read in her work having read I'm OK, You're OK, Primal Scream, Games People Play, Passages, Your Erroneous Zones, I Never Promised You a Rose Garden, Psychology--An Introduction, and We Mainline Dreams.

Before the year was out five board members had resigned. Three resigned in mass in August 1977 and made a joint statement that, neither Hartz nor Petermann "have the necessary qualifications to rehabilitate preteens or teens who have a drug or alcohol problem". They concluded, "we feel we cannot recommend Straight Inc. to our friends or citizens of our community." Carolyn Henson was the wife of Straight board member L. Hap Henson and a program volunteer for Straight.
[/color]

And this one will crack you up.

Just prior to Straight’s opening in September 1976 Director Hartz had told a reporter with the Saint Petersburg Times, "I happen to feel that you can communicate with an individual without degrading him, humiliating him and without depriving him of all his uniqueness."

[/color]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »
Eeeeewwwwww!!!!! I just found this.  

Another bizarre allegation was made by two former Straight staffers who said that Ms Petermann once demonstrated different positions of sexual intercourse to a group of female clients, some in their early teens. When a Times reporter asked Jim Hartz about the alleged incident he said he knew nothing of the sex rap. But he said the subject of sex occasionally comes up. "Helen’s a very uninhibited person," Hartz reportedly said. If the session occurred, he said, "It might have been done better in private."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2007, 02:32:32 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
 I'm angry about the fact that the people who started and perpetuated these abusive mindrape mills are actually effecting public policy today.  

and continuing the abusive practices the learned and honed at Straight and LIFE.

In 1984 Helen Petermann teamed up with one Barbara Griffith, M.A., LIFE’s Director of Prevention and Education, and some other staffers at LIFE to write the paper, "Effective early intervention for adolescents harmfully involved in alcohol and drugs" for The Journal of the Florida Medical Association, Inc., Apr 1984, Vol 71, No. 4. Barbara Griffith would leave LIFE and head for Lakeworth, Florida to help setup another second generation Straight called Growing Together which operates to this day. Meanwhile Dr. Ross left KIDS in Hebron and moved to Lexington, Kentucky to set up Possibilities Unlimited, Inc.

And there are many more.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2007, 03:15:57 PM »
I have heard people talk about being physically harmed.  I never saw it between staff and clients.  I don't know if I didn't pay attention or what.  I know that we got screamed at often but I don't remember Ms Pete ever putting her hands on another person during the entire two years that I was there.

Offline xvipah

• View Profile
L.I.F.E.R.S. 89-90
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2007, 04:14:29 PM »
Quote from: ""David Y""
Who is this?  We probably went through our phases together also.  

Mike S. , Can you think of any others?

Two other Mike S.'s..  I think it was Stewart and Schwab..

Kirby, can't remember his last name..

There was the guy from Lakeland who was ALWAYS putting gel on his arms cause he was sunburned all the time.  

Ah hell, it's been so long, most of the people I remember vividly were already listed.