Author Topic: AARC in the Alberta Legislature  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC in the Alberta Legislature
« on: November 04, 2002, 11:34:00 PM »
The attached Hansard record shows what an excellent job AARC has done of convincing the politicians of what an excellent job they have been doing.  You are invited to respond as specifically as possible to these comments:
Tuesday March 24, 1992.  I'm trying to help.

Addiction Treatment for Adolescents

MRS. MIROSH: Mr. Speaker, I recently have had the opportunity to meet with a number of constituents who've expressed a concern with regards to the number of taxpayers' dollars moving south of the border to treat people with drug and alcohol addiction, particularly the adolescents. We now know that there are a number of programs here in Alberta that can probably be used for our adolescents and others. I'm wondering if the Minister of Health could explain why those taxpayers' dollars are still moving south of the border and why they couldn't be implemented into the programs that are here, in Alberta.

MS BETKOWSKI: Actually, Mr. Speaker, the proportion of Albertans going into the U.S. for addiction treatment is relatively small, some 500 compared to 33,000 admissions to AADAC and its funded agencies in the last fiscal year. Nonetheless, we are [concerned that Albertans must go out of the province to find treatment and that perhaps those Albertans aren't aware of what is available within Alberta before they make a decision at a very difficult and pressured time in their families' lives, I'm sure. So what we have put in place is a prior approval process before any of these programs will be approved for payment out of the Alberta Health Care Insurance Fund. That process will ensure that first we exhaust all opportunities in Alberta, then all opportunities in Canada before we will consider out-of-country placement.

As Minister of Health I am only responsible and can only speak for the Health Care Insurance Fund. We do not fund community residential programs out of the Health Care Insurance Fund but certainly will fund physician-based, acute care programs whether they are within Alberta or outside of Alberta.

MRS. MIROSH: Mr. Speaker, I'd like to direct my supplementary question, then, to the chairman of AADAC. The Alberta Adolescent> recently opened in Calgary, and I was wondering if AADAC will be working with this centre in helping them provide a program that would be in-house.

3:30

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with assistance in developing the program of the Alberta > since its
inception originally as Kids of the Canadian West. They have developed an exceptionally good program to assist in the care of young people in the province of Alberta for recovery in alcohol and other substances abuses as well as other disorders. Alberta today has without a doubt exceptional programs for adolescent care, unmatched anywhere in Canada and in fact probably in the United States. As far as I'm concerned, with the support of the government there is in general terms no reason for young people to have to go to the states. There is a misconception that because it is an American program it is better. That is not the case. Alberta has exceptional programs that can meet the needs of Albertans in all age groups and particularly our adolescents.

May 15th, 2000

THE SPEAKER: The hon. Member for Calgary-West.

Alberta

MS KRYCZKA: Thank you, Mr. Speaker. I am pleased today to recognize the remarkable achievement of Scott, a very courageous young man who until nine months ago was a chemically dependent adolescent. On Saturday, May 20, 2000, he will become the 131st graduate of the Alberta , or AARC, program.

When Scott entered the AARC program on August 30, 1999, at the age of 20, he was extremely dependent on alcohol and drugs and was a lonely, confused, angry young man, but Scott knew he needed help and has been committed to the recovery program at AARC and has moved through treatment at a rapid pace. He was willing to do the work to change and has chosen to live his life as an honest, principled man.

Scott is currently upgrading some of his grade 12 courses in order to apply to university. His attitude and work ethic in the AARC learning centre has been excellent. Dr. Dean Vause, executive director, concludes: Scott has gone from loser to leader; I have the utmost respect for him; I have also been impressed with his family's commitment.

I challenge all MLAs to learn more about the success of AARC and to support this nonprofit organization.

Scott, I wish you all the very best in the future. Congratulations.

Thank you.

March 16th, 1999

THE SPEAKER: The hon. Member for Calgary-Glenmore.

MR. STEVENS: Thank you, Mr. Speaker. Dr. Vause is the heart and soul of this treatment centre. I have never seen such valour, compassion, and true from the heart dedication. He takes families, not just the kids, who feel so worthless and helps them find their dignity, their spirit, and their joy in life again. These heartfelt words truly reflect the feeling of those who know the work of Dr. Dean Vause and the Alberta >, otherwise known as AARC.

AARC, a nonprofit organization in Calgary, is an intensive long-term treatment program for chemically dependent youth between the ages of 12 and 21 years and their families. Dr. Vause is AARC's executive director. AARC reaches out to teens and families who are at the bitter end of a battle with the ravages of addiction. Dr. Vause says that these are kids who would sooner die than give up their addiction and would do anything to feed it. AARC helps bring them back to a normal, healthy life. AARC's successful intervention averts the often costly consequences of teen addiction -- medical, psychological, and societal problems -- that require a long-term investment of energy and capital.

On February 18, 1999, AARC celebrated a significant milestone: its 100th miracle celebration. Since inception in 1992, 106 teens and over 300 of their family members have graduated. But what is truly remarkable, what is unprecedented in North America is AARC's success rate. Over 85 percent of its graduates are clean and sober, in school or working, and are reunited with their families.

The AARC model is unique in Calgary and perhaps the world and was developed and based on the research and analysis of Dr. Vause. It has been thoroughly reviewed by international addiction experts. One of those experts, Dr. Robert McAndrews, concluded: now that I see the hard evidence and follow your thorough analysis, as a critical reviewer I am convinced that your model and actual program is one worth replicating everywhere possible. Mr. Speaker, this is excellent advice which I encourage my colleagues to support.

Thank you.
February 22, 1999

THE SPEAKER: Hon. members, in 30 seconds I shall call on six members to participate in Recognitions today. We'll proceed on the following basis: first of all, the hon. Member for Calgary-Egmont, followed by the hon. Member for Edmonton-Centre.

MR. HERARD: Thank you, Mr. Speaker. I'm so proud to share with you and all Albertans that last weekend the Alberta > celebrated their 100th graduate free at last from serious substance abuse. Seventy-eight of their clean and sober young men and women who could attend celebrated with 460 parents and siblings, who also graduated along with the children into functional families no longer ravaged by the pain and trauma of addiction. You see, AARC treats the whole family and returns loving, contributing families back into society.

Congratulations to the board of directors, chaired by Mrs. Ann McCaig, to the staff headed by Dr. Dean Vause, to the families, their siblings, and addicted children. Thank you for repeating your miracle more than 100 times in Calgary-Egmont. Surely soon AARC's program will be recognized as a centre of excellence and replicated everywhere. It's so desperately needed for the most seriously addicted children in our province.

March 30 1998

MR. HERARD: Thank you, Mr. Speaker. I recently attended the 90th graduation from serious drug addiction at the Alberta > in my constituency. ARC has a unique treatment program that heals the entire family. Adolescent addicts are supported seven days a week in the homes and by the families who have successfully graduated from this program.

The 90th graduate was a lovely 16-year-old girl who sadly began using drugs at the age of nine. She had been incarcerated
as a young offender more times than the judge could remember. She's now a great young lady who has taken ownership of her own life, and she did it against all odds. Terri-Lynn is the first ever to successfully complete this program without her parents completing the program with her. She has great inner strength and now has the tools and the will to succeed in life.

Congratulations, Terri-Lynn, and thanks to ARC staff and ARC families who took her in and made this wonderful new life blossom.

April 5th, 1995

MR. SAPERS: Thanks, Mr. Chairman. I want to start off my comments tonight just with a couple of questions about the Wild Rose Foundation. I note that in the Wild Rose Foundation annual report, the 10th annual report -- and the foundation should be
congratulated for reaching its 10th anniversary and for supporting the projects they do in the manner that they are supported. But I notice a disturbing trend in that annual report. That disturbing trend is that many of the recipients of the quarterly grants, at least awarded between April of '93 and March of '94, are using their grant money to hire staff. They're using the grant money to hire peer counselors, to hire workers in youth programs, in women's shelters, in community programs. It seems to me that if you read through the list -- and it's an impressive list -- of programs that have been supported and how staff are being hired to do important community-based work, you can't help but be struck by the notion that when these grants run out, the programs will be stranded, that so many of the good works now being undertaken won't continue, that those community needs that have been identified by those hard-working volunteer groups and the programs that have been developed will go unmet as soon as these grants expire.

It seems to me that this is a real shame, and it seems that the government really is abandoning these community groups to a life of constantly having their hand out and having to rejustify and rejustify and rejustify the services and the needs they're meeting. It seems that there could be a better way for the government to provide the support that I believe it has an obligation to provide to community groups, particularly if the government wants to continue to pretend that it is a partner with these community groups, that somehow the government walks hand in hand with organizations throughout the province providing these important resources in communities for the benefit of all Albertans.

Mr. Chairman, there's another program in particular that I want the minister to comment on, and that's the Alberta > Society, better known as the AARC Society, in Calgary. The AARC Society offers a peer support, peer counseling program for very, very troubled teens. It's a program that deals with some of the most seriously troubled young people in the city of Calgary, often young people who have not been adequately dealt with in other programs, often young people who have gone through the young offenders justice system, or some who in fact may be at AARC as a result of coming into conflict with the law. Now, whether or not you're in complete agreement with the methods used at AARC isn't really important. The fact is that this program is showing some considerable success with the children, the teens that come into contact with the program. The program was lucky enough to receive a $50,000 grant in the last quarter. They're going to hire a couple of peer counselors for a couple of years.

Mr. Chairman, this is a concrete example of a program that deserves to be funded. It deserves to find a permanent sponsor within the government. It shouldn't be dependent on having to return to organizations like the Wild Rose Foundation every two or three years. I believe they are restricted to only applying for a grant every three years once they receive a grant. Now, if they can only use the money for one or two years to carry on their program, then there's going to be a year or two when they're going to be left high and dry. I don't know how that's consistent with certainly the government's commitment to do something meaningful about young offenders.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:54:31 PM »
This is a very interesting post.  AARC had just opened at the time that Mirosaur was begging for money in the Leg.  They didn't even have any fake reports written by Mrs. Nathalie Oldcomer and the Wiz, with of course the help of Sleepy and Choda.  And the Wiz hadn't even cobbled together everyone's masturbatory creative writing essay to send off to old union to get his doctorin' paper like Obi Won Miller.  "Use the force Dean, the teens and the money will come to you.  Gotta go, prosecutors and cops at the door!"
So why was Mirosaur so excited about AARC?  Unindoctrinated minds want to know!
Hilarious, as usual to see Kids acknowledged  as the inception of AARC.
"Sure we use raps, host homes, oldcomers and newcomers for designation, the twelve steps, and the only experience in drug treatment MistuhdoktahvauseKurtz has was gained in torturing children at Kids, and  we have Janne and Brian to help "counsel" and we were set up as Kids, but All About Receiving Cash is nothing like Kids.  Hang around a coconut twinkle twinkle little star lord grant me the wisdom to cash up front insane or in jail urrrrrrkhzzzzzz."
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Specific comments
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 10:54:27 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

MRS. MIROSH: Mr. Speaker, I recently have had the opportunity to meet with a number of constituents who've expressed a concern with regards to the number of taxpayers' dollars moving south of the border to treat people with drug and alcohol addiction, particularly the adolescents.

Now that's interesting.  My information is that AT THE TIME the only people who knew about taxpayer's money going south of the border  for treatment would have been  people in the government bureaucracy since all child welfare cases are strictly confidential.  My information is that AT THE TIME certain individual's, claiming that their kids were "out of control" went to the Child Welfare review panel to have the government pay for placement at Kids of North Jersey and that the panel, being political appointees and all, supported that AGAINST what even the caseworkers and AADAC were warning about.  I believe even the Children's Advocate opposed it.  Nevertheless, when Kids was closed down, the victims were transferred to a place in Utah.  If there were more than these two, who were from Fort McMurray I hadn't heard of them until ajax mentioned Janne.   i wonder how many more had been sent to our hysterical friends to the south before AARC got going ,

We now know that there are a number of programs here in Alberta that can probably be used for our adolescents and others. I'm wondering if the Minister of Health could explain why those taxpayers' dollars are still moving south of the border and why they couldn't be implemented into the programs that are here, in Alberta.

MS BETKOWSKI: Actually, Mr. Speaker, the proportion of Albertans going into the U.S. for addiction treatment is relatively small, some 500 compared to 33,000 admissions to AADAC and its funded agencies in the last fiscal year. Nonetheless, we are [concerned that Albertans must go out of the province to find treatment and that perhaps those Albertans aren't aware of what is available within Alberta before they make a decision at a very difficult and pressured time in their families' lives, I'm sure. So what we have put in place is a prior approval process before any of these programs will be approved for payment out of the Alberta Health Care Insurance Fund. That process will ensure that first we exhaust all opportunities in Alberta, then all opportunities in Canada before we will consider out-of-country placement.

As Minister of Health I am only responsible and can only speak for the Health Care Insurance Fund. We do not fund community residential programs out of the Health Care Insurance Fund but certainly will fund physician-based, acute care programs whether they are within Alberta or outside of Alberta.

Now of cource, Nancy, who later became Nancy MacBeath and became a liberal, was talking at cross-purposes here, because her area was Health, not children's services.  I have recently been told that if AARC is getting government funding it must be through the health ministry, which puzzles me, because it is not a medical facility.  This is worth looking at some more.  Certainly, her figure of 500 does NOT mean there were 500 who would be under the age of 18.  It would be interesting to find out whether her ministry funded  the few who did go there or even funds any into AARC.  

MRS. MIROSH: Mr. Speaker, I'd like to direct my supplementary question, then, to the chairman of AADAC. The Alberta Adolescent> recently opened in Calgary, and I was wondering if AADAC will be working with this centre in helping them provide a program that would be in-house.

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with assistance in developing the program of the Alberta > since its

inception originally as Kids of the Canadian West. They have developed an exceptionally good program to assist in the care of young people in the province of Alberta for recovery in alcohol and other substances abuses as well as other disorders. Alberta today has without a doubt exceptional programs for adolescent care, unmatched anywhere in Canada and in fact probably in the United States. As far as I'm concerned, with the support of the government there is in general terms no reason for young people to have to go to the states. There is a misconception that because it is an American program it is better. That is not the case. Alberta has exceptional programs that can meet the needs of Albertans in all age groups and particularly our adolescents.

Again, my information from very reliable sources in AADAC and other departments is that their rating of AARC at the time, on a scale of 1 to ten, would place AARC at no higher than 2.  The politicians are not listening to AADAC and have basically told them that their assessment of AARC was not satisfactory.  This was AADAC getting "their wrists slapped" for not telling the politicians what they wanted to hear.  

THE SPEAKER: The hon. Member for Calgary-Glenmore.

MR. STEVENS: Thank you, Mr. Speaker. Dr. Vause is the heart and soul of this treatment centre. I have never seen such valour, compassion, and true from the heart dedication. He takes families, not just the kids, who feel so worthless and helps them find their dignity, their spirit, and their joy in life again. These heartfelt words truly reflect the feeling of those who know the work of Dr. Dean Vause and the Alberta >, otherwise known as AARC.

AARC, a nonprofit organization in Calgary, is an intensive long-term treatment program for chemically dependent youth between the ages of 12 and 21 years and their families. Dr. Vause is AARC's executive director. AARC reaches out to teens and families who are at the bitter end of a battle with the ravages of addiction. Dr. Vause says that these are kids who would sooner die than give up their addiction and would do anything to feed it. AARC helps bring them back to a normal, healthy life. AARC's successful intervention averts the often costly consequences of teen addiction -- medical, psychological, and societal problems -- that require a long-term investment of energy and capital.

On February 18, 1999, AARC celebrated a significant milestone: its 100th miracle celebration. Since inception in 1992, 106 teens and over 300 of their family members have graduated. But what is truly remarkable, what is unprecedented in North America is AARC's success rate. Over 85 percent of its graduates are clean and sober, in school or working, and are reunited with their families.

The AARC model is unique in Calgary and perhaps the world and was developed and based on the research and analysis of Dr. Vause. It has been thoroughly reviewed by international addiction experts. One of those experts, Dr. Robert McAndrews, concluded: now that I see the hard evidence and follow your thorough analysis, as a critical reviewer I am convinced that your model and actual program is one worth replicating everywhere possible. Mr. Speaker, this is excellent advice which I encourage my colleagues to support.

Thank you.

February 22, 1999

Oh, Ron, Ron, Ron

You're a nice guy, but, really, really gullible.

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:49:06 PM »
Could not let this one slide.  McAndrews is another hack from the union institute.  That makes Speedy Creek Pervert, Bonnie Kelly, Michael Patton, Audrey Olsen Faulkner, and McAndrews all of the Union Institute, all vigorously selling AARC.  As I have said before, as much as All About Receiving Cash and it's psychopathic Leader are monstrous entities, we can always take heart and laugh knowing  when they get into court that they're ridiculously incompetent.  The experts of the mutual masturbation society, or Union Institute as it is also known, are in an undeniable conflict of interest when they peddle Colonel Kurtz's Perv Palace and Torture Emporium. Conspiracy?  "combination for unlawful purspose"
Old Mirosaur demanding taxpayer's money for a church while pretending that it is a medical facility?  A church that is run by a guy who pretends to be a doctor but is really just a power craving jocksniffer?  Sounds like a combination for unlawful purpose to me.
One can only imagine the variety and intensity of moisture flying about the Wiz's person  when he realized that Obi Won Newton was making all that money, had all those powerful admirers in the Republican Party, and best of all, control over all those uuuuuunnnnnhhhh teenaged bodies, with no qualifications whatsoever.  "I could do this!  I could really do this!  Snow the Snowman Exelsior!"
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

Canadian West."

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 12:52:12 PM »

inception originally as Kids of the Canadian West.

Just in case there was any doubt in anybody's mind anywhere that It's Kids in Calgary minus Miller Newton.  For a real understanding of how they received any support from the govrnment initially, read the first post through and look at the dates.  At the time Mirosh first opens her Jurassic maw, AARC was brand new, with no long list of graduates and no fake study written by Vause, Goresky, and Natalie Oldcomer.  
What was Mirosh's angle?

Canadian West."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 05:34:21 PM »
There was no doubt in my mind.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 06:27:59 PM »
why did it take 7 years to graduate 100 people?  seems like they must've had an awful lot of drop-outs....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 09:37:15 AM »

Hmmm this was in 2002?

Well in 2007, I went to AARC VERY hopeful. I felt powerful. I felt I finally found a place that would help my son, not so much in alcohol/drug addiction but for ALL his other problems. I wasn't totally convinced he was a drug addict. Nothing else really indicated that he was, but AARC convinced me that what I DID see WAS drug addiction.

I certainly didn't feel worthless, or undignified until AFTER I started going to AARC. I felt pretty mentally/physically fit. I certainly had joy in my life and am very close to both my kids.

The weekly meetings of listening to how aweful drugs are, how much our kids hurt us, how bad our kids are, how our kids are going to die if they don't remain in AARC, how we are NOT OK, how we are broken people, how badly WE need to be fixed, how broken our other children are, how badly THEY need to be fixed. How wonderful and dedicated the staff are at AARC. How they don't have enough money to hire their own cleaning and maintenance staff, how the parents HAVE to help with these things because they will do ANYTHING to help their kids who will die if their parents don't get with the program, made me start to feel unbalanced, to say the least.

But angry. I'm angry I've been lied to, I'm angry AARC is not delivering what they SAID they would deliver in the manner they said they would deliver it in. I'm angry that my son is not getting individualized treatment that will address all his issues OTHER than alcohol/drug use. I'm angry that their "Family counselling" consists of keeping the families separated and in as little contact as possible.

I will not see my boy for Thanksgiving, nor have I been able to talk to him for almost 2 months. The longest I've gone without talking to him is about 3 days.

What they're doing is wrong.