Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Teen Challenge

Teen Challenge / Assemblies of God

(1/1)

Karly:
How many of you are aware that Teen Challenge is part of a mission of the Assemblies of God Church?

If you didn't know that, I will prove it to you-  Go to The Assemblies of God website, which is located here:  http://http://ag.org/top/. On the menu on the left, put your cursor over the link that says- 'Missions'. Another menu will slide out to the right and then you will see 'U.S. Missions' Slide your cursor over to the right of that and you will see the 'Teen Challenge' link.  

Now, if you click on the Teen Challenge link that is located there (http://http://teenchallengeusa.com/), I want to know if any of you can find any reference to the Assemblies of God Church on any of those Teen Challenge web pages.  I couldn't seem to find any reference of that on any of the Teen Challenge web pages and I find that rather unsettling.  

What are your feelings about this?

homelessJB:
Karly,

I admire your passion.  Getting to the truth is obviously something you care about.  But whenever I look for the truth, it is often deep and the road is a long one.

I konw the truth about Teen Challenge.

My parents ran a Teen Challenge and I know both the pitfalls and the successes.  

Do you wnat to know the truth  that I have discovered over a 40 year history?

I will let yo know all if you want.

Karly:
You are free to post what you would like to say!

Karly

Ursus:
Fwiw, according to the below article from almost 40 years ago, Teen Challenge tried to pull in evangelical involvement from several different churches ... at least during this particular point in time and for this particular outreach center. Despite appearances of multi-denominational participation, however, the Assemblies of God clearly appears to be at the helm, so to speak...

Caption for large grainy pic from link below:

VOLUNTEERS TURN SCHOOL INTO DROP-IN FACILITY
Dennis Ortega, Rev. Ken Bowers, Background,
Mary Carleton, Left, Dale McKindley And Sal Ibarra[/list]

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Lodi News-Sentinel (CA)
Teen Challenge to use spiritual approach
Sat., Sept. 9, 1972

Teen Challenge — recognized nationally and internationally as the spiritual approach and solution to drug and alcohol problems — has come to Lodi in the form of a drop-in referral center.

Housed in the former St. Peter's Lutheran Elementary School on North Locust Street, the foundation work in bringing the out-reach center to Lodi began a year ago by a small committee of concerned citizens.

Although Teen Challenge is a program to reach, convert and rehabilitate drug addicts, charter committee member Rev. Ken Bowers of First Assembly of God, said the program offers the solution to many problems through the spiritual approach.

The Lodi center, as part of its work, will serve as a referral agent for the Teen Challenge drug rehabilitation center in San Francisco.

The program, whose success is told in the book, "The Cross and the Switchblade," began in 1960 in the ghettos of New York, has proved 70 per cent successful in rehabilitation of drug and alcohol addicts.

Bowers said, "We believe once a person's life is in order spiritually, everything else will fall in shape. Drug abuse is not the problem but a symptom of the real problem." He added there is a greater involvement in drug abuse in the community than most realize. "Not only among the youth but with some adults as well."

The Lodi outreach center is already staffed with a director and two assistants, although grand opening will not be held until Sept. 29. Dennis Ortega, who Bowers said is a graduate of the rehabilitation center, is director.

The opening of drop-in centers has been engineered by Teen Challenge of Northern California and Nevada as a means of reaching the local community.

With this concept, officials believe the live-in rehabilitation at the major centers can be cut back to four to six months rather than the 9 to 12 months previously used, allowing a greater flow of residents. As a result, centers such as the one in San Francisco can handle up to 180 per year as compared to approximately 60 before. Under the new plan, introduction and re-entry will be conducted in the local drop-in centers such as the one in Lodi.

In addition the Lodi center will provide spiritual assistance through evangelism — street witnessing and soul winning, door-to-door witnessing, jail witnessing, rally type activities, school outreach and literature. Rap sessions will also be held along with coffee house type ministry.

The original committee active in forming the center included besides Rev. Bowers, Chaplain Wayne Kildall, assistant pastor at Salem United Methodist Church of Lodi who worked with Teen Challenge in Vietnam; Calvin Krienke, a Lodi High School instructor; and three interested Lodi women, Mrs. Audrey Boyd, Mrs. Donna Carleton and Mrs. Marilyn Goehring.

Meeting with state officials in Sacramento the Lodians were told Teen Challenge was recognized as one of the most effective programs now combating drug abuse.

After the committee members toured the facilities in San Francisco, interest quickened and soon they had gained the support of several churches in Lodi.

Bowers said that at least 10 churches are now participating in one way or another — some have offered donations for the strictly nonprofit organization and others have set up work committees to help establish the former school as a center. Rent of the building has been provided free by the St. Peter's Lutheran Church.

Work has been done entirely by volunteers and donated materials. Many teens themselves have contributed hours of labor. Directors salaries are being paid through contributions from churches, service clubs and individuals.

# # #

Ursus:
Here's a small announcement from the same paper as my previous post, appearing on the following page:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Lodi News-Sentinel (CA)
Teen Challenge slate program
Sat., Sept. 9, 1972

Harold and Janice Gingerich will be presented this evening at Lodi Teen Challenge, 201 W. Locust St. Their presentation of music and discussion will begin at 8 p.m.

The young married couple of the Mennonite Church in Indiana are presently president and vice president of the board for Whole Life Crusades. They have just completed an engagement with The Charismatic Men and Women of Sacramento. Their musical talents were also used in Youth for Christ in New Mexico where Harold pastored the Mennonite Church.

Harold attended Indiana University and Fort Wayne Bible College.

# # #

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version