Author Topic: Graduation Stats  (Read 7561 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Graduation Stats
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 03:18:16 PM »
Funny, we have very different memories: I don't recall the periodic "lists," "purges," and dishonorable discharges. Sabina left early, but for altogether different reasons. What I remember is a vote among seniors and faculty on whether each of us would be graduating with a diploma or with a certificate and the option of coming back for another try at the diploma. It is with great pride that I am able to say that I received an overwhelming vote of no confidence. I took the certificate, which sufficed for college matriculation, and booked. I knew intuitively that Hyde was all wrong, just as I know it intellectually now.

Gentlemen, I doubt I've anything more of substance to add. I've sorted Hyde out to my own satisfaction, and my Dylanesque flight the other day was the death blow, as far as I'm concerned. I've written in anger, and now I write in tranquillity. Emil, I plan one day to ask you to sneak into Hyde with me, assuming our status as personae non gratae is by now assured, and then go pay a visit to Ed. If you need time off from being a rural gentleman, you are most welcome to visit me in this crazy Holy City of mine.

Shalom.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Graduation Stats
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 03:44:13 PM »
I was told there was a list.  I did not actually see this list myself.  Perhaps I was told this by someone on the faculty who wished to intimidate me.  Perhaps there were actually far fewer people involved and I was lied to.  Certainly this would not be a first for Hyde.  It seems to be their preferred modus operandi.

There were however, many purges at Hyde overall, usually comprising of far fewer people than that particular time.  I did not even come up with that term.  Someone else on the forum here used it.  And they often occurred not long before graduation.  Whoever posted that first post today was right on the money.

And there were other times when there were many many students under "question."  Joe himself actually details one of these times in which, according to him, "of the 117 students at Hyde, 102 were at least indirectly involved."  These were offenses against Hyde's "no smoking, drinking, or drugs" rules.  I am guessing that the "indirect involvement" could be construed to mean that you knew someone who did one of these venal acts, but were not guilty of it yourself.  This was back in 1970, and it happened sometime after Spring Break but at least a month before the end of the school year.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Graduation Stats
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 04:07:35 PM »
One more thing, Mike:  You were not one of the kids who "left early."  How would you know what their circumstances were and what they or their parents were told?  What happened to those kids and what the school actually told us about their leaving were, more often than not, stories barely recognizable as describing the same events.  

The "official word" from Hyde was always whatever made Hyde look the best, whether or not it was the truth was but accidental in some cases.  The Hyde spin was always just another opportunity for more propaganda.  "See what will happen to you if you don't suck it up... So and so has chosen the easy way out and is not dealing with his/her issues with courage and integrity."  Which would always be followed by the usual "If you can't make it at Hyde, you can't make it anywhere."

How many times have you come across something in your life that Hyde taught you to interpret a certain way, and the reality differs egregiously?  And it's not even in the same ballpark.  Think about it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:17:27 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
expultion
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »
I know of two kid that were asked to leave in '77.  Both kid were asked to leave by Henry Milton.  This is according to their own word.  
 In Hyde's defense I would have to say they were correct in not offering me a diploma.  With that said,  at the end of the experience I was no where I needed to be.  The ink blot test of how much that was me not being willing to change and how much of that was Hyde's inept formulaic approach to every kid I will not take.  (Honestly it looks like a woman with a bong with really large breasts but I would rather not say that.)

Mike,

The kids are out of the house .... mostly , we have a guest suite and you are welcome.  I have house rules: no drinking, no drugs ( a rule which my kids discreetly violate) and you can only smoke hand rolled cigars on the porch if you brink enough to share.
 I would love to go to Israel some time but I am afraid I will be dead before I pay off my kids college loans.

Peace back at you man

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
just one more thing
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 04:29:39 PM »
I think a lot gets made out of that process being a vote.   The thing you have to ask your self: how hard is that to fix?  How hard do you think it was for Joe and Ed to dial the number of graduates?  A few special talks. A straw list.  These guys are/were masters with adults.  They were manipulating brain washed kids.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Graduation Stats
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2007, 04:34:26 PM »
What were some of the "official reasons" given for students leaving?  Not just graduation, but earlier in the school year as well?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Graduation Stats
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 04:49:02 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
What were some of the "official reasons" given for students leaving?  Not just graduation, but earlier in the school year as well?

One was a guy named Randy.  He was officially a run away.  He was a Mainah.  I ran into him he told me a story about not wanting to go to college and refusing to sign up for the military.  I guess at that point in 77 you had to go into the military or college.  Henry told him he had to do one of the three: sign up, get excepted to a college or leave.  This was close to grduation.  The other was a guy named Peter.  this is the peter you probably think of when you think of a guy name Peter at hyde in 77.  The story was a little different. I would have to say that I am pretty sure he was high at the time.  He asked me if I wanted to snort some crushed percocets.  I declined his gracious offer.  The bottom line was the same: Henry told him to get his ass out of Dodge.  So it is believable that people were asked to go.  They were kids that in the current hyde parlance were "offtrack" so it would look like they were running away. I have also been in contact with a guy that was gone before I got to Hyde named Walter who spun a similar tale.  I found his story to be believable.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Graduation Stats
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »
It was the talk about plagiarisms.

I will explain.  I was in Springfield the day after a dead concert.  I was hitchhiking with my girl friend.  It was an election year.  Silvio Conte was running for re election.  This was '80 I think.  So I saw this Silvio sign and started singing:

"Silvio, silver and gold." over and over. It got on my girl friend nerve. she said "Silvio what!"

I sang: "Silvio, Silver and gold won't by back the beat of a heart grown cold. " I eventually worked out the rest of the chorus that is in the Hunter/Dylan  version  and a couple of the verses.  The Hunter Dylan version has added verses that I did not write.  The one I did write that they used verbatum it:

One of these days and it won't be long I going down to the valley and sing my song,
I gonna sing out loud
I gonna sing out strong
Let the echo decide if I was right or wrong.

I used to sing it around harvard square.  

I had a couple of other odds and ends borrowed from me.  I remember have some guy ask me if he could use my stuff.  I quoted the woodie Guthrie copy write.

It was just really a shock when after I left that life behind and was straight and had two kids to hear it on the radio sung by Bob Dylan backed by the GD.  It was a rush.

So the notion of Paul stealing from Malcolm ... please.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Graduation Stats
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2007, 02:10:48 AM »
It was the talk about plagiarisms.

I will explain. I was in Springfield the day after a dead concert. I was hitchhiking with my girl friend. It was an election year. Silvio Conte was running for re election. This was '80 I think. So I saw this Silvio sign and started singing:

"Silvio, silver and gold." over and over. It got on my girl friend nerve. she said "Silvio what!"

I sang: "Silvio, Silver and gold won't by back the beat of a heart grown cold. " I eventually worked out the rest of the chorus that is in the Hunter/Dylan version and a couple of the verses. The Hunter Dylan version has added verses that I did not write. The one I did write that they used verbatum it:

One of these days and it won't be long I going down to the valley and sing my song,
I gonna sing out loud
I gonna sing out strong
Let the echo decide if I was right or wrong.

I used to sing it around harvard square.

I had a couple of other odds and ends borrowed from me. I remember have some guy ask me if he could use my stuff. I quoted the woodie Guthrie copy write.

It was just really a shock when after I left that life behind and was straight and had two kids to hear it on the radio sung by Bob Dylan backed by the GD. It was a rush.

So the notion of Paul stealing from Malcolm ... please.

In case this post makes absolutely no sense to anyone, I do believe "Guest" meant to insert it in the thread he was active in yesterday, namely here:
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=23309&start=151

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Graduation Stats
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM »
Quote from: ""Harvard Sq Busquer""
One was a guy named Randy.  He was officially a run away.  He was a Mainah.  I ran into him he told me a story about not wanting to go to college and refusing to sign up for the military.  I guess at that point in 77 you had to go into the military or college.  Henry told him he had to do one of the three: sign up, get excepted to a college or leave.  This was close to grduation.  The other was a guy named Peter.  this is the peter you probably think of when you think of a guy name Peter at hyde in 77.  The story was a little different. I would have to say that I am pretty sure he was high at the time.  He asked me if I wanted to snort some crushed percocets.  I declined his gracious offer.  The bottom line was the same: Henry told him to get his ass out of Dodge.  So it is believable that people were asked to go.  They were kids that in the current hyde parlance were "offtrack" so it would look like they were running away. I have also been in contact with a guy that was gone before I got to Hyde named Walter who spun a similar tale.  I found his story to be believable.

If you are talking about Peter T, he absolutely hated Hyde and was pretty cynical about any adult hypocrisy, but was basically a decent kid.  I also have to wonder about Henry's interest in him.  

Somehow I cannot picture Peter M with the crushed percocets and he may have been there earlier; Peter M also had a sister who went, Heidi.  Never heard what happened to either one of them, they were kind of quiet and kept to themselves.  Maybe they even graduated and I just don't remember! lol

Did Walter usually go by a different name?  Never heard what actually happened to him, if we're talking about the same person.  I thought he took the credits accrued and just never came back.

I remember a girl named Donna A, who I had always assumed was one of Hyde's darlings since she was pretty gung-ho about Hyde and Sumner really liked her (she played Blanche in the school play A Streetcar Named Desire, amongst other leads in other plays), but one day she disappeared and the official word was she "ran away."  Not long afterwards, I ran into her on the road between the New Dorms and the Outhouse; tears were streaming down her face as she had just talked to some faculty member about her returning/staying.  She said that she couldn't talk to me about it.  I had always assumed that she really wanted to be there.  But it seemed as if there were some "difficulties."  And then she was gone.

Yeah, I do remember a lot of people officially designated as "runaways" and ones who never came back from a period of time at home, be that the end of the year or mid-term such as Christmas or Spring Break, etc.  It was always portrayed as "their decision," like they made that choice on their own sans Hyde's stipulations.  But this is what Hyde told us.  I don't remember many of these kids telling me themselves what the reason was, at least not while they were there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: just one more thing
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2007, 04:24:23 AM »
Quote from: ""Emil Ghostwriter""
I think a lot gets made out of that process being a vote.   The thing you have to ask your self: how hard is that to fix?  How hard do you think it was for Joe and Ed to dial the number of graduates?  A few special talks. A straw list.  These guys are/were masters with adults.  They were manipulating brain washed kids.

The vote was rigged in two ways I noticed at the time of voting. First, Joe or Ed commented on each kid. I can't remember anymore whether these comments preceded or followed the vote. In the former case, it would have vitiated the vote. In the latter case, there may have been other cues to vote one way or the other. Second, it was a public vote; a secret ballot would have made it harder for us to base our vote on how others and in particular the leadership were voting. In short, a dictatorial vote, with a bogus appearance of democracy.

Courage, integrity, leadership, curiosity, and concern!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2007, 08:53:32 AM »

The vote was rigged in two ways I noticed at the time of voting. First, Joe or Ed commented on each kid. I can't remember anymore whether these comments preceded or followed the vote. In the former case, it would have vitiated the vote. In the latter case, there may have been other cues to vote one way or the other. Second, it was a public vote; a secret ballot would have made it harder for us to base our vote on how others and in particular the leadership were voting. In short, a dictatorial vote, with a bogus appearance of democracy.

To elaborate on the second point, there was common knowledge. That is, I know that Joe votes against Sally. Joe knows that I know that Joe votes against Sally. I know that Joe knows that I know that Joe knows that Joe votes against Sally. Joe knows that I know that, and so on ad infinitum. Joe votes on me next. I better vote against Sally too.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2007, 09:59:30 AM »

To elaborate on the second point, there was common knowledge. That is, I know that Joe votes against Sally. Joe knows that I know that Joe votes against Sally. I know that Joe knows that I know that Joe knows that Joe votes against Sally. Joe knows that I know that, and so on ad infinitum. Joe votes on me next. I better vote against Sally too.

Common knowledge and a credible threat of punishment for deviation. Conformity guaranteed. The same setup was applied to all aspects of Hyde life.

Courage, integrity, leadership, curiosity, concern!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Graduation Stats
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »
You guys are talking in small numbers about Hyde not graduating us. This is from long ago. Now the numbers are very large.

Hyde now gets rid of lots of kids during the school year for many bogus reasons. Parents not participating, kids not bowing down, yada yada. Then of course towards the end of the year Hyde goes over in their minds how many of the sucker parents would pay another $40,000 to get their kid a diploma. They make up the usual, "joe blow has not lived up to the character part of the program." They have ruined many a family and many a kid by this.

Hyde's leaders can pull the wool over our parents for the rest of their lives, but I take great enjoyment out of knowing that the majority of Hydes leaders are nothing but loosers themselves. Doesn't matter how many years they are there, they are still talkin bout the same shit that happened in their lives 30 years ago. LOOSERS!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Graduation Stats
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2007, 10:18:45 AM »
You guys are talking in small numbers about Hyde not graduating us. This is from long ago. Now the numbers are very large.

Hyde now gets rid of lots of kids during the school year for many bogus reasons. Parents not participating, kids not bowing down, yada yada. Then of course towards the end of the year Hyde goes over in their minds how many of the sucker parents would pay another $40,000 to get their kid a diploma. They make up the usual, "joe blow has not lived up to the character part of the program." They have ruined many a family and many a kid by this.

Hyde's leaders can pull the wool over our parents for the rest of their lives, but I take great enjoyment out of knowing that the majority of Hydes leaders are nothing but loosers themselves. Doesn't matter how many years they are there, they are still talkin bout the same shit that happened in their lives 30 years ago. LOOSERS!!!

Hey, I suppose you think I'm a loser (note the spelling) for talking about what happened to me thirty years ago. Well, until I discovered this site a few months ago and got started on the topic of Hyde I was living in the present tense, and I still am. I've got a respectable life to show for it too. But talking about Hyde has been educational. It's larger than Hyde: I would even elevate Hyde to a metaphor of life.