Author Topic: Lester Roloffs Rebekah Home for Girls Survivors-Cult-mindcon  (Read 306988 times)

Offline kimi11168

• View Profile
Re: Lester Roloffs Rebekah Home for Girls Survivors-Cult-min
« Reply #1230 on: November 01, 2010, 12:23:06 PM »
Quote from: "kimi11168"
HEY HEY HEY TO ALL.. I AM NOT GOING TO SIT HERE AND BICKER ABOUT THIS.. AT ALL.. IT IS OVER AND DONE WITH AND TO ME IT IS PRETTY MUCH BURIED AND AS DEAD AS LESTER ROLOFF HIMSELF.. I AM HERE FOR ONE REASON AND ONE REASON ONLY.. I WAS THERE FROM 1983-84.. MY BEST FRIENDS IN THE WORLD WERE MELISSA GRAHAM AND ALICIA WARD, I HAVE LOST THEM AND WOULD LOVE TO FIND THEM AGAIN, IF FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN TO TAKE THAT BLESSED HARLEY BIKE RIDE DOWN TO CORPUS TO LIE ON THE BEACH AND THEM VISIT THE OLD HOMES AND TAKE THE TOUR JUST TO SEE THEIR EXPRESSION WHEN I POINT TO LOCK UP AND ASK OHHHHH WHATS IN THAT ROOM AND WHY IS IT LOCKED?? WITH NO DOOR KNOB, JUST A DEAD BOLT THE KIND YOU HAVE TO HAVE A KEY TO OPEN, THE ROOM ITSELF WAS A PEPTO-BISMOL PINK WITH ETCHED POEMS FROM LOST LITTLE GIRLS WHO HAD NO WAY TO GET OUT, NO WATER TO TAKE A BATH OR BRUSH YOUR TEETH, YOU WENT IN WITH YOUR NIGHTGOWN AND PANTIES ON TO A BLANK PINK ROOM WITH NO BLANKET A PILLOW WITH NO CASE AND NO LIGHTING IN THE TOILET BECUZ A GIRL ELECTROCUTED HERSELF IN THERE BY WETTING HER HAND IN THE TOILET AND SHOVING IT INTO THE LIGHT SOCKET.. (LOCK UP WHICH I WAS IN FOR 2 WKS BTW, FOR PLANNING A MAJOR RIOT TO BREAK US ALL OUT, I FIGURED AT THE TIME THAT THEIR WERE 50 HELPERS AND 150 GIRLS ALL TOGETHER IN THE WHOLE PLACE THAT WAS 2 TO 1 ODDS NO WAY THEY COULD HAVE CAUGHT US ALL SOMEONE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN OUT AND SENT HELP, SOMEONE HAD TO).. I WANT MY GIRLFRIENDS BACK.. IF YOU WERE THERE FROM 83-84 I PROBABLY KNOW YOU.. I REMEMBER LENORA BOOKER, SUNDREA WARE, CAROL KAY, ALICIA WARD, MELISSA GRAHAM, BARBIE BARBEE, BETHANY COOKE, LYNN WILSON AND I AM SURE SOME OTHERS WILL COME TO ME IF I HEAR FROM YOU.. I WILL TELL YOU NOW..  I WAS RAISED BAPTIST, SAVED WHEN I WAS 13 ON MOTHERS DAY, I WONT LIE AND SAY I WAS OUT OF CONTROL, I SMOKED POT, SKIPPED SCHOOL, WAS 15 AND MY BF OF THE TIME WAS 22. MY PARENTS WHERE IN THEIR 60'S I WAS AN ADOPTED CHILD SO YEAH HUGE GEN GAP THERE... BUT YA KNOW WHAT.. I WAS A FRIGGIN KID, AND THIS IS WHAT KIDS DO.. THEY TRY THINGS OUT AND THEY LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES AND ALL REBEKAH TAUGHT ME WAS TO HATE AUTHORITY FIGURES (DUE TO REPEATED SPANKINGS), AND NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE TELLS ME WHAT TO DO EVER.. I HAVE 3 CHILDREN MYSELF AND ONE OF WHICH IS JUST LIKE I WAS AND SHE IS ONLY 12, SHE IS IN TROUBLE FOR TRUANCY WITH THE SCHOOL SYSTEM, WANTS TO HOME SCHOOL CUZ OF BULLIES ETC.. BUT THAT IS PART OF LIFE YOU GROW THROUGH IT, YOU LEARN FROM IT AND JUST MAYBE YA TEACH A BULLY A LESSON ALONG THE WAY.. ANYHOW I HAVE RAMBLED THIS WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A BITCH FEST BY NO MEANS.. IT WAS A SEARCH FOR MY BUDDIES, AND POSSIBLY ANYONE WHO MIGHT HAVE A YEARBOOK FROM BACK THEN THAT THEY JUST CANT STAND AND WANNA GET RID OF, I AM WANTING TO GET ONE BACK.. THEY PLACE SUCKED, BUT THE GIRLFRIENDS I MADE WERE GREAT.. OH YEAH I AM NOT AFRAID OF YA HOLIER THAN THOU GALS WHO LOVED THE SHIT OUTTA THE PLACE.. SO WITH THAT SAID MY NAME IS KIMBERLY COOK.. MY ADDRESS IS: P.O.BOX 572, SIMSBORO, LA, 71275 SEND ME A NOTE OR HATE MAIL DONT CARE JUST MISSING MY OLD BUDS, BUT NOT MISSING PICKING PEAS, ROFL  :poison:
 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=829333848
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline deniserichardson

• View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 16, 2010, 03:25:05 PM »
I was a Rebekah Home for Girls in 1983.  I was only there for about 6 months.  It was hard being away from home, but it really helped me break away from some bad influences and also get a fresh start.  I would love to find Tara Nugent from Louisiana.  She was my best friend.  The sad thing was...my mom came and got me early because she could not take the guilt of leaving me there.  They did not tell me I was leaving.  They moved me to a room close to the office a few weeks before and then on a Sunday morning they kept me back from church and my mom came.  I was so happy, but I never got to say good-bye to my friends.  

The discipline was harsh in comparison to the way kids are so undisciplined today!  Although it was not perfect, I am thankful for the home and the change it made in my life.  Bible Memo...I still know the chapters of Psalms and they have gotten me through tough times.  I am teaching them to my girls now.  My girls have a wonderful, Christian dad who loves, disciplines and trains them....something I did not have.  

God has always provided me what was best in my life even in bad situations, He has made something good because I have put my trust in Him to do it and because I seek forgiveness and also, I forgive.  Everyone will eventually let us down.  They are not God!  He will NEVER let us down.  He is allowing humans to do it their own way for a short time, but eventually He will right all the wronged and bring justice to the world.  I am only responsible for my own actions and I choose to love and forgive.

Offline jaredsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: November 19, 2010, 03:02:33 PM »
Denise,

Tara's on FB and sometimes (very rarely) goes into the yahoo group with the most members in it.  She's still an awesome person.  :)

Offline Pamelakimbrel

• View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: January 16, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »
I sat here today and read all 83 pages of this forum.  I am disgusted, but not surprised at what I read.  My experience was perhaps different, but maybe the early years had something to do with it.  I also was under the Camerons and the Barretts.  I myself did not suffer any abuse.  When my husband and I spoke about it, we decided that perhaps I found out what was expected and did it to avoid problems, especially the second time.  The only memories I have are positive ones...pnut butter pancakes with maple syrup, Friday fish dinners, oranges/grapefruits on the porch.  Food, it always seems to be food.  I guess that was the focus when you had no other.  I left (for the last time) in 1977.  I moved out from my parents home quickly to avoid going back (who knew what mother would do?)  While I do not remember the abuse per se',  I have really blocked out about 1.5 years of my life....why would that be?  I am not sure I can explain why I do not remember 2 separate trips to the Rebekah Home for Girls.  I do believe the first time was under the Camerons (73) the second under the Barretts (76-77), but really?  I am guessing.  I honestly do not remember.  Alzheimer's or repressed memories?? I am not sure.  What I am sure of is that even though I may not remember you, I would love to hear from girls (women) from my time.  I would like to know what went on and other girls they knew.  I signed up on classmates.com, but it does not seem to generate much traffic, or at least vocal ones.  Hope everyone is well.  Pam Chapman (Kimbrel)

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: January 16, 2011, 01:04:03 AM »
Quote from: "Pamelakimbrel"
I sat here today and read all 83 pages of this forum.  I am disgusted, but not surprised at what I read.  My experience was perhaps different, but maybe the early years had something to do with it.  I also was under the Camerons and the Barretts.  I myself did not suffer any abuse.  When my husband and I spoke about it, we decided that perhaps I found out what was expected and did it to avoid problems, especially the second time.  The only memories I have are positive ones...pnut butter pancakes with maple syrup, Friday fish dinners, oranges/grapefruits on the porch.  Food, it always seems to be food.  I guess that was the focus when you had no other.  I left (for the last time) in 1977.  I moved out from my parents home quickly to avoid going back (who knew what mother would do?)  While I do not remember the abuse per se',  I have really blocked out about 1.5 years of my life....why would that be?  I am not sure I can explain why I do not remember 2 separate trips to the Rebekah Home for Girls.  I do believe the first time was under the Camerons (73) the second under the Barretts (76-77), but really?  I am guessing.  I honestly do not remember.  Alzheimer's or repressed memories?? I am not sure.  What I am sure of is that even though I may not remember you, I would love to hear from girls (women) from my time.  I would like to know what went on and other girls they knew.  I signed up on classmates.com, but it does not seem to generate much traffic, or at least vocal ones.  Hope everyone is well.  Pam Chapman (Kimbrel)

I know this comment has nothing to do with this program, shit!! I am not even the same gender. I just wanted to say I am suffering from the same problem, Pamela (I think). Blockage, repressed or who knows what right now. I went through Marathon House Middletown R.I. from 1974 till 1975 and I also can not remember much. It is very sketchy at best. I am not giving up though because the feeling I feel when I read posts here tell me a story emotionally. So I know something happened there. Maybe it wasn't bad or traumatic like I have heard from others, I don't know right now. I just recognize this feeling that I belong here and there is something I need to know. Patience has been the key and heavens knows I don't have much of that. Just wanted you to know you are not alone.
Thanks for your post.
(sorry for getting off topic, I say that a lot)

Offline jaredsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: January 16, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »
I'm not sure when the Camerons ran the place, but the Barretts took control in the early 80's.  When Roloff died, the Camerons took his place, so the Barretts moved up to dorm parents.
Repressed memories are a common occurrence.  I have a keen memory and I always think I remember everything.  Imagine my surprise when someone would mention something and I had absolutely no recollection of it happening.  It freaked me out!  Still, I do remember a lot of what happened.  Some people were abused, some weren't.  Your attitude, ability to follow rules, popularity, etc. would determine the experience you had in there.  If someone was disliked either by staff or the other girls, they were toast.

Offline Pamelakimbrel

• View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 05, 2011, 01:12:11 AM »
I was reading back through...not maple syrup, honey.  My my that was one of my best memories!  I tried it when i got home...NOT the same.  Still have not heard from anyone during my time.  I guess i was not that memorable.  I sure would like to talk to some folks from my time...73-74, 77-78.

Offline 88888

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 06, 2011, 09:03:45 AM »
There are online groups to join for people that were in Rebekah listed in "Yahoo groups"
or Facebook has it also. Good luck!

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 07, 2011, 02:37:59 AM »
Quote from: "jaredsmom"
I'm not sure when the Camerons ran the place, but the Barretts took control in the early 80's.  When Roloff died, the Camerons took his place, so the Barretts moved up to dorm parents.
Repressed memories are a common occurrence.  I have a keen memory and I always think I remember everything.  Imagine my surprise when someone would mention something and I had absolutely no recollection of it happening.  It freaked me out!  Still, I do remember a lot of what happened.  Some people were abused, some weren't.  Your attitude, ability to follow rules, popularity, etc. would determine the experience you had in there.  If someone was disliked either by staff or the other girls, they were toast.
Your gonna go thru that, and its not un-common,find a way to cope..and thank god.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline rubee

• View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 19, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »
[quoteThats the truth="Guest"] :rocker: If the Cameron's are in Florida running another Rebekah then that answers a lot of questions for me.  Hmmm...Jeb Bush, Katherine Harris, Wiley and Flo Cameron...You decide.

LOL

Thank you for your kind words

Micks[/quote]

Offline gwenl442001

• View Profile
    « Reply #1240 on: May 14, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »
    Hi I am Gwenlee Chapman. I was at Rebekah Girls Home In Corpus from Oct. 1969 to Nov. 1972. I do searches for Adoptee's and Birth Moms. I ran across this site and spent alot of time reading thru the post. It amazes me how so many have different thoughts and feeling about their experiences there. I felt lead to give some input on the subject also.
    I was put there by a Judge because I stole a car and ran away from home and ended up 2 States away. Have no idea why I did not tell the Judge I ran because my mother's boyfriends were molesting us while she was still married to our dad. Maybe cause I was 14 and had called the police to bust her at the boyfriends house and when he asked my dad if he wanted to press charges and said no the officer said sorry little girl there is nothing I can do. I did not tell the officer about being molested just that mom had boyfriends. Guess I did not want her to get into real trouble just wanted the boyfriends to stop. I was sent for 6 months. When I first got there we went to Public School at Oso. That ended quickly maybe because I got caught kissing a boy at school. We then started school in the barn. As with any child I just wanted to have fun and play like most kids, but there were alot of rules and work involved in being there.Should kids have chores? Yes. Should kids learn some form of religion and what happens to us when we die? Yes. Do I believe in spankings? Yes .Was it good to learn to grow and kill your own food? Yes. With all this being said let me say that when people take on the responsibility to care for children be it their own or someone else's a person should have enormous amts of LOVE and Patience. Do I think they went overboard in what they did? Yes. Do I think they were appropriate in what they taught us? No. I was a mere 14 yr old girl trying to make sense of this world we live in. I became even more confused thinking I was saved then wondering if I really was, every single time I did something they thought was sinful. Which was just about everything.I can remember being at the altar and I guess Granny noticed somehow I got a hold of some bikini panties she saw the line it made went right down there and got me. Dragged me off whipped me and started in on how sinful I was. I have plenty of memories of the beatings I took but what is the point in telling them all. If I got it good for the above just know I got way worse for other things I did. Did I piss them off alot ? Yep I think so plenty of times. Just like my teenage kids have done to me. I kept thinking if I could just be Christian enough I could go home. So when I tried to really walk the line I got in trouble for being sacrilegious.I ran and went home. My mom said after awhile we were going to get my clothes. She stepped out of the office and Papa said I was staying I ran out and my mom had gone, just left me there. I guess she liked the fact she did not have to deal with trying to stop what she was doing. Anyway 6 months turned into 3 yrs. Do I remember good times? Yes, but let me tell you when a child has alot of bad going on and someone trying to control every thought and move you make which is so against anyone child or adult it does something to you. I lived pretty much like a zombie which is why I do not remember alot of life in those years. I think most of us are like that.It's a protection mode. So those of you who wonder what the deal is think of that.
    As I read alot of the post I see how there are so many who still have such anger about the place. Let me tell you this they stole those years from us and I myself decided a long time ago they would not take any more of my life. Do I think I have issue about the place that effects me now even subconsciously? Yes. I am sure I do. Just as I am sure I have issues on the abandonment of my mom. Was it right for them to tell me over and over again I was going to be there forever that when I got to old for Rebekah I would go to Georgia then the old folks home in the Valley then be brought back at death to be buried at the Robstown Cemetery across the street? That was so wrong. I tried to kill myself.
    Next I see alot have asked about all the things Roloff had and how did he get everything. Well ladies and gents lets face it those who could pay I am sure did contribute alot to the place for their kids to be held there. Us poor kids who did not have parents who gave a shit well we worked our buts off. Everything we grew and killed to eat. We had trips to the Valley to pick citrus fruit. We were taken to the Inter-coastal Canal to catch fish. I am sure what we did not keep we sold.Plus remember being bused around all over the US like so many performing acts to raised contributions. These are the things we were made to do in order to earn our keep. Did we go to school? Well I got there with an 8Th grade education and left with an 8Th grade education. So for me schooling was very poor there.We built our own dorms so they had plenty of free labor there. Did we get taken to the Dr's or Dentist when we were sick? No. Most people treat there animals better. Right? You have to remember they had millions coming in donations to help us poor wayward girls. So that's how they afforded all they have. Look at all the churches in the world and how extravagant they are. Same thing.
    When the State started coming in I finally had my chance to get away. I had gotten close to a boy who came to stay the summer with the Weatherfords. I did not know at the time I was pregnant. Anyway I really started being bad. Broke windows too set off alarms, flooded the bath and laundry rooms, set fire to the living room couch. They had a hard time hiding me when the State was coming in so they called my mom. She had to come get me. Then I found out I was pregnant and when I got my tonsils out at Christmas my mom talk to Brother Roloff and they made plans to send me to Bethesda in MS. I got taken there in Jan of 1973 and finally got to go home after I sign some blank forms to adopt out my child. I had turned 18 in June and tried to run thinking I'm an adult now they can't stop me. Wrong they found me locked me up til my son was born in Aug.After 2 hrs of crying I signed the papers and they called my sister to come get me. I left in Sept 2 weeks later with no more idea how to live in this world then when I first arrived in Oct 1969 4yrs of my life gone. Can't change that.
    Now I see everyone wants to know how you get over things like this. The beatings, the imprisonment, the riping of your child out of your heart Well one thing I did learn is what it is to be a real Christian. God forgave us and we forgive them. I am not saying you will ever forget but it is done and can't be changed so why let it consume you. Live your life learn to love, be fair and do not judge.
    I would hate to think of all the judging someone could do to me on every issue of raising my children. Are we all the perfect parent say and do the right things at all times? No. Just do the best you can love God and do unto others as you would have done unto you. These are 2 of the most important commands our Father has given us.Along with this is do not Judge and forgive as you have been forgiven. The rest of the bible is just to bring us to be better Christians and witnesses for Him. Let me tell you He died one time for me, forgave me never to remember it again anything I have done or will do. We are not perfect and will never be until we leave here and go home. Should I lose my temper and cuss probably not. Should I get frustrated from no money and bills coming out my ears and take it out on my kids? No. Have I done that? Yes. Have I always made the right choices in love? No. Have I been divorced 3 times? Yes. The real question here is am I still a Christian? Yes. The only way God would ever turn his back on me is if I turn my back on him.So live your lives in the moment Love the Lord and try with all your might to do good to others God knows in your heart if you really are trying. Don't let others Judge you to the point it affects who you are. You and the Lord know that is all that counts.
    Just remember he too knows what you have or will go thru. He was hated enough for them to kill him. He was abandoned by his Father at the cross also. He called out to his Father why have you forsaken me. Believe me he knows  the pain of it all.Hold stead fast as this is why when it is our time to go he says, Yeah tho I walk thru the Valley of the shadow of death fear no evil for I am with thee. We will be happy to leave here and go home. How can life be wonderful all the time for us here? If it was we would never want to go home. Think of our kids we want them to leave the nest, go out on their own but if you give them everything their heart desires you will have that child in your home forever. Just think about some of these things. We all will answer for our life choices and for how well we witnessed for Him. Don't stoop to the Roloff levels and judge and condemn like they did us. It is not our place to do so.Will we ever be able to stop them or anyone else from doing harm to others on this earth? No. Look at the world. Make a stand when you can against injustice. Help and love those around you. Give encouragement to others. Tell your stories in love not hate to help others. As for me reading the post it brought me mostly sadness, not from remembering the pain I felt living in the homes but the pain I felt from you all that it still controls your lives to some point. Love you all.  As I to know and remember those days.Gwen

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #1241 on: May 14, 2011, 01:03:52 PM »
    Quote from: "gwenl442001"
    When the State started coming in I finally had my chance to get away. I had gotten close to a boy who came to stay the summer with the Weatherfords. I did not know at the time I was pregnant. Anyway I really started being bad. Broke windows too set off alarms, flooded the bath and laundry rooms, set fire to the living room couch. They had a hard time hiding me when the State was coming in so they called my mom. She had to come get me. Then I found out I was pregnant and when I got my tonsils out at Christmas my mom talk to Brother Roloff and they made plans to send me to Bethesda in MS. I got taken there in Jan of 1973 and finally got to go home after I sign some blank forms to adopt out my child. I had turned 18 in June and tried to run thinking I'm an adult now they can't stop me. Wrong they found me locked me up til my son was born in Aug.After 2 hrs of crying I signed the papers and they called my sister to come get me. I left in Sept 2 weeks later with no more idea how to live in this world then when I first arrived in Oct 1969 4yrs of my life gone. Can't change that.
    I am so sorry that they took your child away from you. I can't imagine anyone ever fully getting over that. Were you ever able to locate your son?

With regard to the Bethesda Girls Home in Mississippi, might you be referring to ... this place?

A building at the former Bethesda Girls Home that was to be part of the new Ezekiel House Ministries Reclamation Ranch outside of Petal burned to the ground early Thursday morning in a fire that is currently under investigation by local, state and national investigators. Photo Credits: Matt Bush-Hattiesburg American

--------------

The place burned just before Christmas last. See also: photo gallery Fire Destroys former Bethesda Girls Home dorm in the Hattiesburg-American, and the following thread:

Former Bethesda Home Dorm Burns to the Ground
      viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32465[/list]
      -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline heretik

• View Profile
      « Reply #1242 on: May 14, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »
      Gwen, what a story. I am so sorry for loss. Many people have an idea of God and God's principles. I don't think Lester Roloff had any idea of a spiritual solution. Sounds like he had his idea.
      Thank you for your testimony and your suggestions for forgiveness. My, that is all we can do today.
      May you have peace and much of it.
       :hug:

Offline gwenl442001

• View Profile
      « Reply #1243 on: May 15, 2011, 01:50:32 AM »
      Seems to me that could not be the same place. Bethesda had only one story to it. One of the girls posted pics of the old place . Only thing is maybe they had purchased and built this 2 story dorm along side of the old home. I have not been able to speak to my son but I did talk to his parents in 2002. They were pretty upset and seemed even hostile that I had found them. anyway I never spoke to them after that I do not want them upset that was not my intention. My daughter had a conversationon line with one of the brothers but he said David as kinda not been around him much since they grew up and got families. Well I am pretty sure David is Divorced and has no kids. I thinkk he doesn't want to make contact not sure if it is due to how his parents reacted or not. alot of the reunions I have done has been because adoptee's were not close with thier adopted families or the parents died. I am just happy to know something about him. The minute I knew for sure about him a peace just came over me like a wave. Yes I do hope someday to speak or meet him. If it is God's will then I believe it will happen. Would not think God llead me in finding him not to ever meet. No you never do get over losing a child but the real pain was all the years of not knoowing anything. It's like loved ones that are missing in action everyday there is pain and wondering. I loost my youngest son 2 yrs ago. He died at age 32. I miss him so much, but am at peace that he is with the Lord. So really god gives me peace over all things which I am so thankful for. Gwen

Offline Alan Howell - 84/85

• View Profile
      « Reply #1244 on: July 12, 2011, 09:26:20 AM »
      My name is Alan Howell and I worked on the Farm from June 1984 till February 1985.  If anyone out there remembers me I would appreciate some feedback.  If anyone is located in Lower Alabama please let me know.  Its been a lot of years but I have some fond memories of my time out there.