Author Topic: Lester Roloffs Rebekah Home for Girls Survivors-Cult-mindcon  (Read 307083 times)

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
Re: Lester Roloffs Rebekah Home for Girls Survivors-Cult-mindcon
« Reply #1035 on: August 18, 2009, 09:47:19 PM »
Sadly, when abusers die there are often others to take up the mantle, particularly if there is also power or money or control available to the head honcho.  Wishing them dead doesn't help prevent anyone from being abused this year, next year, or in the next decade.  Pointing fingers at the abusers, shedding light in all their dark little corners and bringing awareness to the masses, making the people who are not intimately involved with the troubled teen industry understand what we've been through....that will help prevent more abuse.

(What was intended to be gentle comes across, even to myself as bitter and angry, but I will not apologize.  Please understand though, that my intent is not to convey bitterness and anger toward you Susan, but to those who have been abusive to me and to my friends and even to those girls who went through it that I do not know or weren't friends.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: August 18, 2009, 10:32:53 PM »
Oh Susan. Please do not wish anyone dead.  this is the first time in 35 years that i have openly talked about my time at rebekah. even with what i went thru there, i have never wished anyone dead. I just hope and pray that they are no longer with young impressionable girls and not hurting anyone anymore. when i heard the weatherfords were arrested and removed from the home, i heard it from people at a church i was attending. like i said, it was something i heard and i do not know for a fact this happened. wishing someone dead stems from hate and hate will eat you alive. I have always been very afraid to try to find out what happened to them because i was afraid they would find me again.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 18, 2009, 10:44:33 PM »
Quote from: "hurrikayne"
If you'll send me an e-mail, I'll get you in touch with a couple people who should know about Granny & Poppa Weatherford.  [email protected]

thanks for the offer, but i will have to decline. to see the weatherfords referred to as granny and poppa again really bothers me. thank you for the offer.

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 18, 2009, 11:09:35 PM »
Sorry to have distressed you, it wasn't intentional.
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: August 19, 2009, 12:04:37 AM »
Quote from: "Carol"
Oh Susan. Please do not wish anyone dead.  this is the first time in 35 years that i have openly talked about my time at rebekah. even with what i went thru there, i have never wished anyone dead. I just hope and pray that they are no longer with young impressionable girls and not hurting anyone anymore. when i heard the weatherfords were arrested and removed from the home, i heard it from people at a church i was attending. like i said, it was something i heard and i do not know for a fact this happened. wishing someone dead stems from hate and hate will eat you alive. I have always been very afraid to try to find out what happened to them because i was afraid they would find me again.
              Understands how you feel, but I stick to death for those type, nothing will change my mind on that. Anyone like that need be sent far away. But I do understand how you feel. But understand that there is no help for souls like that. Those type even old as old can be, will find a way to keep hurting. I Pray your days are mellow and happy. Hope you do not mind me being so bold, I am also looking forward to listening to what you have to say. Opening up lightens the soul. Makes the soul free. Peace. :peace:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 06, 2009, 12:45:51 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"
I was a Rebekah girl in `82.  I know all of this is true.  We chanted, girls kneeled on salt, no girl had a period for the entire time they were there.  
I can remember a girl being chained to a bed after she ran away.  What a mess!!
 I was there in 82 also.  I was in the Jubilee ensemble.  I was supposed to be on the plane that crashed with two other girls.  Two of the women who were in the trio before us lived in the dorm.  Why, I do not remember.  The third person, in what was their trio came to Jubilee to visit her friends.  At the last minute Roloff decided to take the original trio.  They never returned.  A mess?  OMG is almost ruined me.  I have survived it though.

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 06, 2009, 01:00:05 AM »
You were spared, always remember to be thankful for that.  Those that died, did so only because of Roloff's arrogance, it was completely unneccesary, and in no way any fault of your own.  Have you ever seen the weather reports for that day?  A friend found them....nautical records as well...very sad that people had to die b/c of one man's ignorance.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 06, 2009, 11:20:50 PM »
Quote from: "hurrikayne"
You were spared, always remember to be thankful for that.  Those that died, did so only because of Roloff's arrogance, it was completely unneccesary, and in no way any fault of your own.  Have you ever seen the weather reports for that day?  A friend found them....nautical records as well...very sad that people had to die b/c of one man's ignorance.

I had no idea about the weather reports.  I got to go through the personal effects of those young women and decide what would go back to the families. I was eighteen years old.  Do you know what the date was that they died?  We, the ensemble, went out to Colorado on a tour and met Enola's parents the
Feburary after that happened.  It was so sad.  She was an alto like me.  I felt so weird to meet them.  I wondered if they knew it was supposed to be me instead of their daughter.  

You are the first person that I have "spoken" to since that time who was there.  It's so good to have someone, somewhere get it.  Feels a little crazy.

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 07, 2009, 12:29:53 AM »
Send me an E-mail at [email protected].

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 07, 2009, 12:31:13 AM »
It's so good to have someone, somewhere get it.  Feels a little crazy.

Yeah, it gets old people looking at you like you suddenly grew a third head.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 27, 2009, 12:41:20 AM »
My name is Laura.
I was at Rebekah from Nov.12, 1984 - November 16, 1985.
The place was aweful. The Barrett's (house parents) were abusive.
All the girls were physically and mentally abused. Some sexually abused.
Im 41 years old now and still suffer to this day.
I have Post Tramatic Stress Syndrome. I have never been married because Im scared of people since I was in Rebekah.
I use to think this emotional pain would go away but it doesnt.
I tried to sue when I got out and no lawyer would take my case. Is it too late now? Maybe so....I will just suffer until the day I die I guess
LAURA in Texas

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 27, 2009, 10:22:46 PM »
Hi, I too am a survivor, I wont elaborate as everyone else has done well to describe the abuse in the name of a loving God, who they will all answer to one day.  I just hope I was not the only one why was sexually assaulted there!  I am not ashamed to hide who I am and what abuse I went through.  I was in Rebekah home 1980- 1982  my mother was an employee in the school, and I lived in the home because she sent me there, it was easier for her to not accept I was not perfect, and pass the parental buck onward, kind of how she was all my life, blaming everyone but her own abuse towards me and my siblings, as her reason for having a hard life.  We have all survived and moved on.  I am finishing and publishing my book  "Behind Sacred Walls"  that tells all about the abuse sustained while I was there.  IF anyone else is a survivor from that era and would like to add their own exerts to be placed in my book on any of the Roloff homes, even anonymously, I am available for comment  Dawn  816-678-3398

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 27, 2009, 10:39:04 PM »
Quote from: "Guest 2211"
 I just hope I was not the only one why was sexually assaulted there!  
I hope you meant to say something different than what that selection of words seems to say.
Good luck with the book.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 27, 2009, 11:16:31 PM »
Sherri Compton molested several underage girls in Rebekah. she finally left after there was a lawsuit by a girl's parents. the last I heard she was teaching PE at a private girls school.

Yes I know  [email protected]  a survivor of sexual abuse and scars to prove it!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 27, 2009, 11:19:04 PM »
Quote from: "???"
Quote from: "Guest 2211"
 I just hope I was not the only one why was sexually assaulted there!  
I hope you meant to say something different than what that selection of words seems to say.
Good luck with the book.
THat was a typo woops